Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718Next
Current Page: 17 of 18
Re: RIP Bobby Keys
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 10, 2014 23:36

But Rockman seems to have his sh*t together....don't kid yaself!!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: December 11, 2014 03:22

Wow what a story 69. That was the tour I first saw them live and so a favorite time in their history for me. They still seemed mysterious and a little dangerous. 78 I feel was the last time they were either due to over-exposure after that and I guess I just kind of grew up. 75 was an exciting time to see them though and I'll never forget the experience. Must have been terribly cool to have gotten as involved as you did.

Posted by: two4fun111 ()
Date: December 11, 2014 17:12

hey 69,
were they playing boogie woogie or what from what you can remember?

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: December 11, 2014 18:17

dcba
Funny how can get flak at IORR for (re)stating the obvious. Funerals are a private affair, for friends and family only. But it shouldn't be that hard to udnerstand, right?
Fan mentality common sense and decency don't really match... confused smiley

dbba, I have to say I completely agree .thumbs up

I was very sad and more to hear about Bobby's passing , but i don't care & it's not my business to know when,where and how were his funerals

I am just trying to remember how great it was to see him playing his saxophone on stage in Zurich .Last June

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: 1969Fan ()
Date: December 11, 2014 21:50

two4fun111
hey 69,
were they playing boogie woogie or what from what you can remember?

Charlie was playing a snare with brushes. A slow loping groove. So it was probably a jazz number. Stu was a boogie woogie guy. But I suspect he shared Charlie's admiration and respect for jazz.

The band was set up in the living room of a large house on the LI coast NE of Montauk. They'd start playing in the evening and continued through the night. By the time I got there, they'd been rehearsing for some time, and were a well-oiled machine.

The second or third morning I went outside to watch the sun rise while they were playing in the background. I knew then and there that I was privileged beyond imagination to be where I was, when I was, and that a gift like this would never come around again. Guess what! It hasn't.

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: December 12, 2014 20:29

Date: December 12, 2014 22:46

thanks bob!!

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: December 12, 2014 23:13

Thanks for the clip.

Date: December 13, 2014 19:06

just listened to bobby's solo Coming Down Again......such tasty and lean licks

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: December 14, 2014 05:53

Hola Carlitos !!
Como estas ?

You couldn't find any other (some other ? ) video for MISTER Bobby Keys thumbs up

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Bobby Keys
Posted by: Bob C. ()
Date: December 22, 2014 01:06

Does anyone know if there were funeral services for Bobby?

Re: Bobby Keys
Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: December 22, 2014 01:58

Of course there was but that's a private affair.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 22, 2014 02:10

It would be interesting, where and how he has been buried.

Find A Grave.com says currently: 'unknown'.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 22, 2014 05:20

---

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-22 05:20 by Koen.

Posted by: Chacal ()
Date: December 22, 2014 08:33

Wuudy

More like a secret affair, actually. Even for his own children.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 22, 2014 08:50

Chacal
Wuudy

Yes, I've read that, and it's painful.

Date: December 23, 2014 00:58

Cristiano Radtke
Chacal
Wuudy

Yes, I've read that, and it's painful.

What do you mean?

Cheers,
Wuudy

Date: December 23, 2014 02:58

Bobby's real (biological) children and his only grandchild were excluded from the funeral. It's not what he would have wanted.

Date: December 23, 2014 09:36

Wow, who made that call and where did you read that?

Cheers,
Wuudy

Date: December 23, 2014 11:40

Wuudy
Wow, who made that call and where did you read that?

It's not in print (yet), although Bobby's children might go public at some point. Right now they are grieving the loss and feeling very upset that they didn't get a chance to say goodbye.
BK's service took place only 72 hours after he died. His children had to learn of his death from media reports and the details of the service were deliberately withheld from them, despite numerous phonecalls they made and messages they sent to the people in possession of the information.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: December 23, 2014 11:42

A plea to the void:

[m.youtube.com]

Date: December 23, 2014 13:34

That's really sad...

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: December 23, 2014 17:45

Wow, this is really a desperate cry. Who would think that. I know nothing about Bobby's personal life, so this is a big surprise for me. Must be really tough for his daughter to have to cope not only with the loss of her father, but also with all this.

Again, I had absolutely no knowledge about Bobby's family, so I checked wikipedia now and it says he had 3 grandchildren, while his daughter here says she represents his only grandchild. It is all strange. Why would anyone keep all the information from the family members, Bobby was no CIA agent. It is none of my business of course, but it all sounds so surreal.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: December 23, 2014 22:57

...in his book Bobby is not very chatty upon his private life and his family..!!!

Posted by: 1969Fan ()
Date: December 25, 2014 23:43

runaway
KeithDaMan
1969Fan
runaway
KeithDaMan
1969Fan
Rokyfan
straycatuk
I always thought Bobby was on all of the 1982 shows alongside Gene Barge ?

Check out the Leeds video of Going to a Go Go . Nice solo by Bobby and camera stays on him. Sorry I can't remember how to link it here.

I've listened to Exile 5 times today....he's all over it. Weaved into the "fabric" of the Stones sound on that album more than any other.

sc uk
Don't know about 82 but I saw about 10 shows in 81, all in the northeast US and as I recall Keys was there for Brown Sugar on every one (Ernie Watts, no relation, was the sax player for the rest of the show). Don;t recall him on HTW but I'm not arguing.

I remember that we all thought (this was pre internet ... "all" means the fans i spoke to) that simply nobody else could do justice to the BS solo, that's why keys was there (and guessed that maybe he wasn't up to doing the whole set or something like that).

Interesting. It sounded like Bobby was persona non grata from 1973 - 1989, and it wasn't until he suddenly 'appeared' with his horn (at Keith's urging) when they were rehearsing BS in Toronto, that Mick gave up and 'allowed' him back in. This is the first time I heard of him being on the 1981 shows. I have an old VHS of Hal Ashby's 'Let's Spend the Night Together' buried somewhere. I'll watch it. Wickipedia credits Stu, E Watts, and Ian McLagan as the 'additional musicians' in the film. No mention of Bobby.

'Life' and Every Night's A Saturday Night' seem to confirm Bobby not playing with them from 1973 - 1989. A mystery that I'm sure IORR will clear up. Rock On!

At The 1982 show in Feyenoord I went he certainly was playing, also Hampton '81. Anyway. I saw the video of LA Forum '75 (!) a few days back and at the end of the last few songs I would swear it is Bobby Keys playing, or a lookalike? Anyone knows the story behind this? Check the Vault DVD of LA Forum '75.

11th-12th and 13th July 1975: Los Angeles, California, Forum: Additional musicians: Steve Madaio, Bobby Keys and Trevor Lawrence on horns. N.Zentgraf.

I'll defer to those who know more about what happened back in the day than I do. Apparently my 67 year old memory is not serving me well these days.

According to Wikipedia, the 1975 LA shows were July 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13. It goes on to say, "Long time sidemen Bobby Keys and Jim Price on brass were not featured on this tour, being replaced by Billy Preston on keyboards and Ollie E. Brown on percussion. Bobby Keys made a guest appearance on "You Can't Always Get What You Want" and "Brown Sugar" at the Los Angeles shows." So there you have it.

I was at all of them except Sat night July 12. That was the show Jann Wenner reviewed for RS when he wrote, "The Rolling Stones are Rock & Roll. They always have been, and they always will be." Instead, I was at a nearby home where there was going to be an after-concert party. Annie had shot photos of the stages in all the cities where the Stones had performed to date. I taped 20" X 24" prints of them to a wall for the party. BTW...I do correctly recall that there were two TOTA 'lotus' stage designs. One that was articulated and unfolded, and one that didn't. They used the articulated stage in LA. And I think in MSG as well.

The party was quite an affair. To quote George Gobel, a great stand up & TV comedian from the 50s & 60s, "I felt like a pair of brown shoes in a world of tuxedoes."

Thanks for the great info 1969Fan. Would have loved to be in your shoes.

Thanks as well 1969Fan. Bobby Keys made a guest appearance on "You Can't Always Get What You Want" and "Brown Sugar" at the Los Angeles shows. So Bobby Keys played on 4 of the 5 La Forum Stones concerts in 1975 you attended? Thanks

Today I watched the LA Forum show DVD my wife gave me for Christmas. As any moron, including me, can clearly see, Bobby joined the horn section toward the end of the show. It sounds like him on BS, but he isn't seen on camera.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: December 26, 2014 10:46

1969Fan
runaway
KeithDaMan
1969Fan
runaway
KeithDaMan
1969Fan
Rokyfan
straycatuk
I always thought Bobby was on all of the 1982 shows alongside Gene Barge ?

Check out the Leeds video of Going to a Go Go . Nice solo by Bobby and camera stays on him. Sorry I can't remember how to link it here.

I've listened to Exile 5 times today....he's all over it. Weaved into the "fabric" of the Stones sound on that album more than any other.

sc uk
Don't know about 82 but I saw about 10 shows in 81, all in the northeast US and as I recall Keys was there for Brown Sugar on every one (Ernie Watts, no relation, was the sax player for the rest of the show). Don;t recall him on HTW but I'm not arguing.

I remember that we all thought (this was pre internet ... "all" means the fans i spoke to) that simply nobody else could do justice to the BS solo, that's why keys was there (and guessed that maybe he wasn't up to doing the whole set or something like that).

Interesting. It sounded like Bobby was persona non grata from 1973 - 1989, and it wasn't until he suddenly 'appeared' with his horn (at Keith's urging) when they were rehearsing BS in Toronto, that Mick gave up and 'allowed' him back in. This is the first time I heard of him being on the 1981 shows. I have an old VHS of Hal Ashby's 'Let's Spend the Night Together' buried somewhere. I'll watch it. Wickipedia credits Stu, E Watts, and Ian McLagan as the 'additional musicians' in the film. No mention of Bobby.

'Life' and Every Night's A Saturday Night' seem to confirm Bobby not playing with them from 1973 - 1989. A mystery that I'm sure IORR will clear up. Rock On!

At The 1982 show in Feyenoord I went he certainly was playing, also Hampton '81. Anyway. I saw the video of LA Forum '75 (!) a few days back and at the end of the last few songs I would swear it is Bobby Keys playing, or a lookalike? Anyone knows the story behind this? Check the Vault DVD of LA Forum '75.

11th-12th and 13th July 1975: Los Angeles, California, Forum: Additional musicians: Steve Madaio, Bobby Keys and Trevor Lawrence on horns. N.Zentgraf.

I'll defer to those who know more about what happened back in the day than I do. Apparently my 67 year old memory is not serving me well these days.

According to Wikipedia, the 1975 LA shows were July 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13. It goes on to say, "Long time sidemen Bobby Keys and Jim Price on brass were not featured on this tour, being replaced by Billy Preston on keyboards and Ollie E. Brown on percussion. Bobby Keys made a guest appearance on "You Can't Always Get What You Want" and "Brown Sugar" at the Los Angeles shows." So there you have it.

I was at all of them except Sat night July 12. That was the show Jann Wenner reviewed for RS when he wrote, "The Rolling Stones are Rock & Roll. They always have been, and they always will be." Instead, I was at a nearby home where there was going to be an after-concert party. Annie had shot photos of the stages in all the cities where the Stones had performed to date. I taped 20" X 24" prints of them to a wall for the party. BTW...I do correctly recall that there were two TOTA 'lotus' stage designs. One that was articulated and unfolded, and one that didn't. They used the articulated stage in LA. And I think in MSG as well.

The party was quite an affair. To quote George Gobel, a great stand up & TV comedian from the 50s & 60s, "I felt like a pair of brown shoes in a world of tuxedoes."

Thanks for the great info 1969Fan. Would have loved to be in your shoes.

Thanks as well 1969Fan. Bobby Keys made a guest appearance on "You Can't Always Get What You Want" and "Brown Sugar" at the Los Angeles shows. So Bobby Keys played on 4 of the 5 La Forum Stones concerts in 1975 you attended? Thanks

Today I watched the LA Forum show DVD my wife gave me for Christmas. As any moron, including me, can clearly see, Bobby joined the horn section toward the end of the show. It sounds like him on BS, but he isn't seen on camera.

Thanks for your Christmas post and Bobby Keys probably played with three of the five concerts in 75 and 75 is a long time ago for me to remember facts as well.smiling smiley

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: December 27, 2014 04:42

If you stop and listen right now you may hear this sound coming from heaven:

Posted by: latcho ()
Date: December 28, 2014 23:41

Thanks for posting, verry nice !!!

Posted by: latcho ()
Date: December 29, 2014 21:17

this how it looks !!!!!

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: December 30, 2014 15:16

Great picture.

Doing what they do or did best and loved.............

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718Next
Current Page: 17 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2022
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home