Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718Next
Current Page: 16 of 18
Re: RIP Bobby Keys
Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: December 8, 2014 22:43

dcba
RoughJusticeOnYa
Any news on the funeral, BTW?

Not our business, right?
Thanks Dad!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 9, 2014 00:49

Funny how can get flak at IORR for (re)stating the obvious. Funerals are a private affair, for friends and family only. But it shouldn't be that hard to udnerstand, right?
Fan mentality common sense and decency don't really match... confused smiley

And no I ain't your "bro".

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-10 19:07 by dcba.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: December 9, 2014 10:19

dcba
RoughJusticeOnYa
Any news on the funeral, BTW?

Not our business, right?

??? ...feeling a bit edgy, brother?!

Posted by: KeithDaMan ()
Date: December 9, 2014 18:20

1969Fan
Rokyfan
straycatuk
I always thought Bobby was on all of the 1982 shows alongside Gene Barge ?

Check out the Leeds video of Going to a Go Go . Nice solo by Bobby and camera stays on him. Sorry I can't remember how to link it here.

I've listened to Exile 5 times today....he's all over it. Weaved into the "fabric" of the Stones sound on that album more than any other.

sc uk
Don't know about 82 but I saw about 10 shows in 81, all in the northeast US and as I recall Keys was there for Brown Sugar on every one (Ernie Watts, no relation, was the sax player for the rest of the show). Don;t recall him on HTW but I'm not arguing.

I remember that we all thought (this was pre internet ... "all" means the fans i spoke to) that simply nobody else could do justice to the BS solo, that's why keys was there (and guessed that maybe he wasn't up to doing the whole set or something like that).

Interesting. It sounded like Bobby was persona non grata from 1973 - 1989, and it wasn't until he suddenly 'appeared' with his horn (at Keith's urging) when they were rehearsing BS in Toronto, that Mick gave up and 'allowed' him back in. This is the first time I heard of him being on the 1981 shows. I have an old VHS of Hal Ashby's 'Let's Spend the Night Together' buried somewhere. I'll watch it. Wickipedia credits Stu, E Watts, and Ian McLagan as the 'additional musicians' in the film. No mention of Bobby.

'Life' and Every Night's A Saturday Night' seem to confirm Bobby not playing with them from 1973 - 1989. A mystery that I'm sure IORR will clear up. Rock On!

At The 1982 show in Feyenoord I went he certainly was playing, also Hampton '81. Anyway. I saw the video of LA Forum '75 (!) a few days back and at the end of the last few songs I would swear it is Bobby Keys playing, or a lookalike? Anyone knows the story behind this? Check the Vault DVD of LA Forum '75.

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: December 9, 2014 21:01

Bobby Keys plays on Emotional Rescue and he was at two of the release parties for the album in June 1980. Keith says Bobby would want a large wake. Maybe a memorial concert somewhere? Texas? New York?

Posted by: 1969Fan ()
Date: December 9, 2014 21:08

KeithDaMan
1969Fan
Rokyfan
straycatuk

Check out the Leeds video of Going to a Go Go . Nice solo by Bobby and camera stays on him. Sorry I can't remember how to link it here.

I've listened to Exile 5 times today....he's all over it. Weaved into the "fabric" of the Stones sound on that album more than any other.

sc uk
Don't know about 82 but I saw about 10 shows in 81, all in the northeast US and as I recall Keys was there for Brown Sugar on every one (Ernie Watts, no relation, was the sax player for the rest of the show). Don;t recall him on HTW but I'm not arguing.

I remember that we all thought (this was pre internet ... "all" means the fans i spoke to) that simply nobody else could do justice to the BS solo, that's why keys was there (and guessed that maybe he wasn't up to doing the whole set or something like that).

Interesting. It sounded like Bobby was persona non grata from 1973 - 1989, and it wasn't until he suddenly 'appeared' with his horn (at Keith's urging) when they were rehearsing BS in Toronto, that Mick gave up and 'allowed' him back in. This is the first time I heard of him being on the 1981 shows. I have an old VHS of Hal Ashby's 'Let's Spend the Night Together' buried somewhere. I'll watch it. Wickipedia credits Stu, E Watts, and Ian McLagan as the 'additional musicians' in the film. No mention of Bobby.

'Life' and Every Night's A Saturday Night' seem to confirm Bobby not playing with them from 1973 - 1989. A mystery that I'm sure IORR will clear up. Rock On!

At The 1982 show in Feyenoord I went he certainly was playing, also Hampton '81. Anyway. I saw the video of LA Forum '75 (!) a few days back and at the end of the last few songs I would swear it is Bobby Keys playing, or a lookalike? Anyone knows the story behind this? Check the Vault DVD of LA Forum '75.

I assisted Annie Liebovitz, the 1975 TOTA photographer, at the LA shows. Mick, Keith, Ron, Bill & Charlie were on stage, along with Ian Stewart, Billy Preston, and Ollie Brown (percussion). Stu was on a concert grand, and Billy was on keyboard. One night we set up behind the stage, and Annie got off a few group shots of them as the headed toward their cars. The audience was still screaming, yelling, and holding their lighters (pre-cell phone), hoping for one more appearance. This is one of the frames from that series. [www.pinterest.com]. Stu wasn't in any of these photos. And based on my leaky old memory, Bobby was not there for any of the shows.

If anyone was a member of the Rolling Stones, while not being a member of the Rolling Stones, it was Ian Stewart. One afternoon I was listening to him messing around on the piano, by himself, in the living room of a home outside Montauk NY where they rehearsed for the 1975 tour. Charlie walked in, sat down behind his drum kit, and started playing along. For a clueless white kid from Glendale, it was very cool to be this close to 'the source'. I knew then and there that this was a time that was not going to come around for me again. Ever. So I soaked up as much as I could.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 9, 2014 21:23

Hey thanks for the memories 1969Fan.....ACE!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: December 9, 2014 21:30

Rockman
Hey thanks for the memories 1969Fan.....ACE!!!

No doubt!

"One afternoon I was listening to him messing around on the piano, by himself, in the living room of a home outside Montauk NY where they rehearsed for the 1975 tour. Charlie walked in, sat down behind his drum kit, and started playing along. For a clueless white kid from Glendale, it was very cool to be this close to 'the source'. I knew then and there that this was a time that was not going to come around for me again. Ever. So I soaked up as much as I could."

Talk about a "bootleg to dream about"! I wish there was a way to "wring out what you soaked up" that day. Charlie & Ian jamming for the fun of it... Wow!

Thanks for sharing!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: December 9, 2014 21:30

Yeh ! As Rockman said, thanks for the memories. smileys with beer

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: December 9, 2014 21:48

KeithDaMan
1969Fan
Rokyfan
straycatuk

sc uk

11th-12th and 13th July 1975: Los Angeles, California, Forum: Additional musicians: Steve Madaio, Bobby Keys and Trevor Lawrence on horns. N.Zentgraf.

Date: December 9, 2014 21:51

1969Fan, thanks for sharing and Annie Leibovitz made some great pictures.

Date: December 9, 2014 23:47

runaway
KeithDaMan
1969Fan
Rokyfan
straycatuk

sc uk

11th-12th and 13th July 1975: Los Angeles, California, Forum: Additional musicians: Steve Madaio, Bobby Keys and Trevor Lawrence on horns. N.Zentgraf.

I'll defer to those who know more about what happened back in the day than I do. Apparently my 67 year old memory is not serving me well these days.

According to Wikipedia, the 1975 LA shows were July 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13. It goes on to say, "Long time sidemen Bobby Keys and Jim Price on brass were not featured on this tour, being replaced by Billy Preston on keyboards and Ollie E. Brown on percussion. Bobby Keys made a guest appearance on "You Can't Always Get What You Want" and "Brown Sugar" at the Los Angeles shows." So there you have it.

I was at all of them except Sat night July 12. That was the show Jann Wenner reviewed for RS when he wrote, "The Rolling Stones are Rock & Roll. They always have been, and they always will be." Instead, I was at a nearby home where there was going to be an after-concert party. Annie had shot photos of the stages in all the cities where the Stones had performed to date. I taped 20" X 24" prints of them to a wall for the party. BTW...I do correctly recall that there were two TOTA 'lotus' stage designs. One that was articulated and unfolded, and one that didn't. They used the articulated stage in LA. And I think in MSG as well.

The party was quite an affair. To quote George Gobel, a great stand up & TV comedian from the 50s & 60s, "I felt like a pair of brown shoes in a world of tuxedoes."

Posted by: KeithDaMan ()
Date: December 10, 2014 15:20

1969Fan
runaway
KeithDaMan
1969Fan
Rokyfan
straycatuk

sc uk

I'll defer to those who know more about what happened back in the day than I do. Apparently my 67 year old memory is not serving me well these days.

According to Wikipedia, the 1975 LA shows were July 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13. It goes on to say, "Long time sidemen Bobby Keys and Jim Price on brass were not featured on this tour, being replaced by Billy Preston on keyboards and Ollie E. Brown on percussion. Bobby Keys made a guest appearance on "You Can't Always Get What You Want" and "Brown Sugar" at the Los Angeles shows." So there you have it.

I was at all of them except Sat night July 12. That was the show Jann Wenner reviewed for RS when he wrote, "The Rolling Stones are Rock & Roll. They always have been, and they always will be." Instead, I was at a nearby home where there was going to be an after-concert party. Annie had shot photos of the stages in all the cities where the Stones had performed to date. I taped 20" X 24" prints of them to a wall for the party. BTW...I do correctly recall that there were two TOTA 'lotus' stage designs. One that was articulated and unfolded, and one that didn't. They used the articulated stage in LA. And I think in MSG as well.

The party was quite an affair. To quote George Gobel, a great stand up & TV comedian from the 50s & 60s, "I felt like a pair of brown shoes in a world of tuxedoes."

Thanks for the great info 1969Fan. Would have loved to be in your shoes.

Date: December 10, 2014 16:41

KeithDaMan
1969Fan
runaway
KeithDaMan
1969Fan
Rokyfan
straycatuk

sc uk

Thanks for the great info 1969Fan. Would have loved to be in your shoes.

Thanks as well 1969Fan. Bobby Keys made a guest appearance on "You Can't Always Get What You Want" and "Brown Sugar" at the Los Angeles shows. So Bobby Keys played on 4 of the 5 La Forum Stones concerts in 1975 you attended? Thanks

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: December 10, 2014 18:06

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 10, 2014 19:45

In the Photo above from right to left: Charlie Watts, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Mick Taylor, Bill Wyman (sitting), Bobby Keys (standing) and .... ?

Who is the man on the very left?

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: December 10, 2014 20:08

Irix - I'm not 100% sure but I think it's Jim Price - Trumpet.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: December 10, 2014 20:35

Yes is Jim Price

Date: December 10, 2014 20:50

yep Jim Price, they all nicely dressed up for a photoshoot or tour...where is this great photo taken? thanks

Date: December 10, 2014 20:55

Stone601

Yes is Jim Price

Indeed - thanks for the Info.

There's also a entry about him in Wikipedia, his official Website is JimPriceMusic.com .

Jim Price on Trumpet with Bobby Keys & Mick Taylor.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-10 22:00 by Irix.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 10, 2014 21:23

runaway
yep Jim Price, they all nicely dressed up for a photoshoot or tour...where is this great photo taken? thanks

I've seen that photo on Jim Price's website. I'm guessing it was taken at Nellcote in France during the Exile sessions.

peace

Date: December 10, 2014 21:32

Naturalust
runaway

I've seen that photo on Jim Price's website. I'm guessing it was taken at Nellcote in France during the Exile sessions.

peace

Thanks Naturalust you could be right, checked Nellcote myself but did'nt find that wall yet, Nellcote does have a lot of wallssmiling smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 10, 2014 21:49

where is this great photo taken? thanks

Los Angeles

ROCKMAN

Date: December 10, 2014 21:57

Rockman

Los Angeles

Thanks Rockman I had LA in mind but had no source

Date: December 10, 2014 22:20

runaway
Rockman

Los Angeles

I thought Nellcote as well. But Rockman seems to have his sh*t together, and LA sounds good.

On the topic of photos, if one was to look up 'Rock & Roll' in the dictionary, all Mr Webster would have to write is, "Refer to:

[webmail.earthlink.net]

Annie's photo from Philly 1975 is the essence of Rock & Roll. It says it all.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: December 10, 2014 22:22

Has anyone posted a video of Bobby's last Brown Sugar with the Stones? I'm guessing would've been July 3rd in Copenhagen.

Date: December 10, 2014 22:24

1969Fan
runaway
Rockman

Los Angeles

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-10 22:40 by 1969Fan.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 10, 2014 22:32

Definitely a live performance so that rules out Nellcote.

Bobby and Jim played with Stones on 1970 European tour end of August through
October.

And if it's LA...would likely be 1972.

Date: December 10, 2014 22:39

jazzbass
Has anyone posted a video of Bobby's last Brown Sugar with the Stones? I'm guessing would've been July 3rd in Copenhagen.

Yes, Roskilde. It's probably in that show thread.

Date: December 10, 2014 22:45

jazzbass

Yes, it was on 3rd July 2014 at the Roskilde Festival (near Copenhagen):

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718Next
Current Page: 16 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1760
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home