Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Satisfaction/The International Rolling Stones Tribute Show
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 30, 2014 17:08

Might have a chance to catch them next weekend. Anybody here seen them? Any good? I've never seen a Stones cover band. Curious to know what peoples thoughts are regarding Stones tribute bands and/or tribute bands in general.

[www.rollingstoneshow.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-30 17:10 by tatters.

Re: Satisfaction/The International Rolling Stones Tribute Show
Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: November 30, 2014 18:50

The folks on Shidoobee like'm....I'm in detroit area & they've been coming around here the past few years(Calahans usually)I've never seen'm...

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: November 30, 2014 19:20

I played piano in a local tribute band here in Argentina, Tumbling Stones, for a couple of years. They are still running, but for me it doesn't work at all. First, the internal band problems (I am a trained musician, the rest just a bit over amateur level), second, here the Stones are some kind of religion (we have "urban tribes", and one of this is called "rolinga"), and third, the Stones is to my point of view, just pure and raw rock and roll. What seems good on the Beatles, will not work with the Stones. WE all know what played every instrument on every Beatle song, and with the Stones is very different, because we will never know waht will Keith or Charlie play tomorrow. So, what will I play if I am a musician in a cover band? I did study Nicky's playing, and after all this process, I realize the guy just rock it. He never played the same night after night. And so Keith, Charlie, Bill, Mick T. and Ronnie. When I played in the cover band, we made a set of the 81 tour, but never sound fresh at all. Why? Because we copy the set, but the Stones sound fresh in 1981, they were free to play whatever they feel to, not tied to any arrangement.
So, at least in Argentina, theres no "big" tribute band, all of them just play in small pubs for less than fifty . People just doesn't like the idea of making a carbon copy of what they think its unique.

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Posted by: AussieMark ()
Date: December 1, 2014 00:43

I'm the bass player in an Australian tribute band. We mix things up depending on the type of gig or event - sometimes we do a generic "modern" era show, other times we focus on the 70s or do a Jones-era 60s set. It's a lot of fun, the audiences love it, and the money is really good.

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: December 1, 2014 06:34

I've seen Satisfaction three times. Definitely catch them if you have the chance. They do an outstanding job.

Saw them this summer at Fraze Pavillion in Kettering, Ohio. Best $10 I ever spent!

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 1, 2014 07:16

Not a big fan of tribute bands...I mean if you're gonna see a band do cover songs, I at least want to see them mix it up a bit and pull off some varied or obscure tunes, possibly do them better than the originals. The dressing and acting and playing as close to the band they are impersonating has always seemed silly and strange to me....like an Elvis impersonator show it seems more like circus entertainment than a musical event.

The exception to the rule is when bands take the music to a different level or a completely different genre, like bluegrass..

Here is a band called Honeywagon doing it with Wild Horses.

and a sympathy for the Devil bluegrass style which has some great banjo and mandolin pickin'. Entertaining stuff.

peace

Date: December 1, 2014 08:21

Naturalust
The dressing and acting and playing as close to the band they are impersonating has always seemed silly and strange to me....like an Elvis impersonator show it seems more like circus entertainment than a musical event.

Not every Rolling Stones fan in Australia can afford $350 or $400 for a ticket to see the real thing, and they only tour here every 5 years or so anyway. Tribute bands fill that gap for people who like to go out with a group of friends to have a meal, a few drinks and see an entertaining show featuring musicians who perform their favourite music. Tribute bands of all kinds of genres are very popular in Australia for that reason. I do realise that the scene might well be different in other parts of the world.

For example, I understand that the Australian Pink Floyd Show, which spends 90% of it's time touring Europe these days, is the highest grossing cover band on the planet - they earn around $5 millions per year, and are Australia's 4th highest earning musical act (AC/DC earned $5.8m) ... [www.brw.com.au]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-01 08:24 by AussieMark.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 1, 2014 09:13

AussieMark
Naturalust
The dressing and acting and playing as close to the band they are impersonating has always seemed silly and strange to me....like an Elvis impersonator show it seems more like circus entertainment than a musical event.

Not every Rolling Stones fan in Australia can afford $350 or $400 for a ticket to see the real thing, and they only tour here every 5 years or so anyway. Tribute bands fill that gap for people who like to go out with a group of friends to have a meal, a few drinks and see an entertaining show featuring musicians who perform their favourite music. Tribute bands of all kinds of genres are very popular in Australia for that reason. I do realise that the scene might well be different in other parts of the world.

For example, I understand that the Australian Pink Floyd Show, which spends 90% of it's time touring Europe these days, is the highest grossing cover band on the planet - they earn around $5 millions per year, and are Australia's 4th highest earning musical act (AC/DC earned $5.8m) ... [www.brw.com.au]

Ok, it's a job, I get it. But I'm sure you'd probably prefer to play your own tunes if given the opportunity and the same financial incentive. Or at least play your own style and not have to dress up like Bill Wyman. Rock and Roll is about freedom of personal expression, among other things. That's what makes artists interesting to me and the way they approach the music and develop their own style is what makes them stand out. The impersonation aspect of tribute bands are what kinda rub me the wrong way.

Besides if your Aussie fans saved their money from " hav[ing] a meal, a few drinks and see[ing] an entertaining show" a couple of times they could surely afford a Stones ticket. winking smiley

I am however a bit shocked that the tribute bands are doing so well in Oz and Europe. Maybe it's because most new music sucks so bad that folks are craving to hear older music that didn't. I imagine they aren't doing nearly so well here in the USA where we still have a pretty decent selection of original music entertainment.

But please don't take offense, this is just one persons opinion and I'm sure you guys provide some much needed entertainment to the good people in Australia and probably have a great time doing it...and at least you've picked a good band to impersonate. smileys with beer peace

Date: December 1, 2014 23:47

Naturalust
Ok, it's a job, I get it. But I'm sure you'd probably prefer to play your own tunes if given the opportunity and the same financial incentive. Or at least play your own style and not have to dress up like Bill Wyman. Rock and Roll is about freedom of personal expression, among other things.

I get to do a lot more than that - life is not binary. With the guys in our Stones tribute band we also get to play our own music in an original hard rock band, and I also play in a blues power trio backing an amazing guitarist/songwriter. And I have a day job, and am a devoted husband and father to a 7yo and a 8yo. Life's busy, but fulfilling thumbs up

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 1, 2014 23:57

If Tribute stands for lookalikes and copying the music 1 to 1 Nah.........I did ones saw a band playing Stones songs there way and I enjoyed it .....

Satisfaction: Stones Tribute Band
Posted by: jaggerman ()
Date: February 1, 2015 20:24

Anyone ever seen these guys ?? There playing by me
in a few weeks,was wondering if anyone from the group has seen em before

Thanks all

Mike

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: February 2, 2015 06:43

Saw them a couple years back. It was fun. They did a section that was acoustic including under my thumb. For $10 to $20 you'll enjoy it. Go for it

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 4, 2015 04:46

I've never done the tribute band thing, but a friend just invited me along to see them next weekend. For 16 bucks I figure it will be fun even if it's just for a few drinks and laughs. Tatters, did you go see them, what did you think?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 4, 2015 05:34

latebloomer
I've never done the tribute band thing, but a friend just invited me along to see them next weekend. For 16 bucks I figure it will be fun even if it's just for a few drinks and laughs. Tatters, did you go see them, what did you think?

No. We were just about to head on out the door, and somehow just didn't feel up to it. I do have third row seats for Brit Floyd next month, though. Tribute shows can be a lot of fun if you bring along your suspension of disbelief, and just keep telling yourself, "This is kinda what it would look like and sound like if I was really seeing them in a little club."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-04 05:35 by tatters.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 14, 2015 18:46

Fun show, saw them last night. It did take me a while to get over the weird factor of these guys on stage mimicking the look, gestures, and clothing of the Stones. But a few drinks later, I got over it.

They did a decent job with the songs. The Ronnie character is a very good guitarist, though I didn't like how he portrayed Ronnie as a stumbling buffoon.

...just keep telling yourself, "This is kinda what it would look like and sound like if I was really seeing them in a little club."

Couldn't quite get there Tatters, but the crowd on the dance floor was jumping and singing along like they were the real thing, and I was right there with them. Just had to turn to my friend every once in a while to bust out laughing.

All in all a great time, so do catch them if they come your way.

Posted by: Starr ()
Date: February 14, 2015 19:28

Tatters,

The best cover band I ever saw was the Swedish band "Rocks Off" - They were really excellent - saw them at Stampen jazz club in Stockholm the night before the real Stones gig last summer...

"till the next time..."

Star

Posted by: ifyacantrockme ()
Date: February 14, 2015 20:51

I've seen these guys in pontiac, MI and though I didn't think any of them particularly looked the part, they sounded great. the ron wood guy played a lot of the incidental bits, sax lines etc on guitar. the jagger looked like mid-70s era jagger, and keith looked like voodoo lounge era. it was a lot of fun and the guys played great tracks, even my girlfriend had a good time. now she wants to see the real thing!

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: February 15, 2015 23:21

tatters
Might have a chance to catch them next weekend. Anybody here seen them? Any good? I've never seen a Stones cover band. Curious to know what peoples thoughts are regarding Stones tribute bands and/or tribute bands in general.

[www.rollingstoneshow.com][/quote

Save ya money. They pose...that's it. Musicianship is a D+

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: November 6, 2017 19:43

Here is a full show from Satisfaction. Thoughts? Thinking about going to see them.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: masseywinos ()
Date: November 7, 2017 01:37

Blushing Brides were quite good.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2225
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home