Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4344454647484950515253...LastNext
Current Page: 48 of 168
Re: The Rolling Stones live in 2015
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 1, 2015 17:12

alhavu1
Im telling you they were giving tickets away for stadiums last time around and it really was embarrassing. They will NOT accede to reasonable rates (that would help). Mark my word.

As far back as 1997 they had to give away several thousand tickets in Detroit to make it look like the Silverdome was sold out .... and that's when tickets were only $60.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 1, 2015 17:16

Rolling Hansie
Halup
I'm wondering if Sticky Fingers in it's entirety may only be for certain shows

Opening night only, when they present the Deluxe Sticky Fingers Boxset, and every member of the audience will get a box for free.

Tickets will be $1800, so we can debate the meaning of 'free'.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: March 1, 2015 17:17

desertblues68
Red Rocks would be awesome. I can imagine a stunning sunset, the music of the Stones. Oh man life does not get any better than this!hot smiley
thumbs up

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 1, 2015 17:31

dcba
Naturalust
[Folsom] Field would be my guess for Colorado.

You may be right. It looks a bit like Waldbuhne. And its 50K+ capacity suits the band better than Red Rocks.

Thanks for the correction, that's exactly what I meant to say. smoking smiley peace

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 1, 2015 18:10

dcba
DandelionPowderman
austrianstones

not Waldbühne per se, only meaning a location in USA like Waldbühne

Hollywood Bowl?

Red Rocks amphitheater? smiling bouncing smiley
Imagine "I Got The Blues" played in these settings : 9000 persons moved to tears!
A "Waldbühne" can only be in Europe, sorry.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 1, 2015 18:50

Not many stadiums left un-booked for June-July Saturday's in the cities I've been checking which seem obvious for the Stones to play. A good clue would be to see a tba (to be announced) on the schedules. peace

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: March 1, 2015 19:09

alhavu1
Im telling you they were giving tickets away for stadiums last time around and it really was embarrassing. They will NOT accede to reasonable rates (that would help). Mark my word.

In many cases they were coming thru town a third time. Prices were higher than they have ever been for any stadium show in history. Now Taylor Swift is charging $150 for upper deck in a stadium and getting it. Concerts are expensive, people are used to it. This time their prices will mostly be comparable to what other acts are charging in stadiums so there won't be the same sticker shock as in the past. There will only be about 14-18 shows across the continent. They will mostly fill them and get the payout they are seeking.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: March 1, 2015 19:14

Naturalust
Not many stadiums left un-booked for June-July Saturday's in the cities I've been checking which seem obvious for the Stones to play. A good clue would be to see a tba (to be announced) on the schedules. peace

Dodger Stadium has blocks of 10 open days in both June or July but I am predicting the Rose Bowl. Look at college football stadiums, not the obvious smaller capacity baseball stadiums. If you count Canada and Mexico as North America, the US may not be getting as many dates as people here are expecting.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 1, 2015 19:53

I am pretty sure they will do shows mid-week too. Wed typically with a two days gap for Sat.

Bjornulf

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 1, 2015 20:09

Probably need to look for cities that have Tuesday - Thursday, or Friday - Sunday open to allow for stage setup and tear down.

Hoping for a St. Louis date, they have 1 concert every summer at Busch Stadium, good central location. Open Wed/Sat dates with day before/after open too:

6/10
6/17
6/20
6/24
7/8
7/11
7/15
7/22

Date: March 1, 2015 20:10

Would you then say 2 shows per week for ~ 7 weeks - perhaps 15 or 16 total?

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 1, 2015 20:23

[email protected]
Would you then say 2 shows per week for ~ 7 weeks - perhaps 15 or 16 total?

Yes. Pretty much that, it was the pattern both in Europe this summer and Down Under Oct/Nov this year. They know Mick needs two days to rest his voice and also to minimize risk. If he loose his voice then two shows per week means usually only one show cancelled, like Hanging Rock near Melbourne last year. Saturday is the big day to fill up a large venue any place more or less. Then some places they can fill up a large venue mid-week any time too.

Bjornulf

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: March 1, 2015 22:23

mtaylor
dcba
DandelionPowderman
austrianstones

not Waldbühne per se, only meaning a location in USA like Waldbühne

Hollywood Bowl?

Red Rocks amphitheater? smiling bouncing smiley
Imagine "I Got The Blues" played in these settings : 9000 persons moved to tears!
A "Waldbühne" can only be in Europe, sorry.

Red Rocks is similar and it would be great to see the Stones here (maybe they can borrow this keyboard player):

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: March 1, 2015 23:11

Naturalust
Not many stadiums left un-booked for June-July Saturday's in the cities I've been checking which seem obvious for the Stones to play.

Don't know which cities/stadiums you've checked, but excluding MLB ballparks, there are plenty of open dates at stadiums hosting shows this summer:

Arlington TX - AT&T Stadium

Chicago - Soldier Field

Denver - Mile High

Detroit - Ford Field

East Rutherford NJ - MetLife Stadium

Foxboro MA - Gillette Stadium

Philadelphia - Lincoln Financial Field

Santa Clara CA - Levi's Stadium

Seattle - CenturyLink Field

And that's not even checking Atlanta, Baltimore, Cleveland, DC, Houston, Indianapolis, LA, Miami, Nashville....or Canada.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-01 23:12 by bye bye johnny.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 1, 2015 23:25

flacnvinyl
Has anyone considered that Sticky Fingers won't be the theme? My gut feeling is that we are coming to the end. Either they release a new album or do a final tour. The nostalgia tour can't go on forever.

I don't think it is at all, but I'm just going along with the rumor. I highly doubt it will be, and I'd actually be shocked if it was. They don't care about doing something new. They've made that so abundantly clear. And I don't say in that in a bad way or in a way that makes them look like dicks. I'm just saying they've been very clear that when they try, not enough people care so I doubt they start or continue doing something that they think doesn't work at 70 year olds.

Is my two cents.

Posted by: two4fun111 ()
Date: March 1, 2015 23:34

RollingFreak
flacnvinyl
Has anyone considered that Sticky Fingers won't be the theme? My gut feeling is that we are coming to the end. Either they release a new album or do a final tour. The nostalgia tour can't go on forever.

I don't think it is at all, but I'm just going along with the rumor. I highly doubt it will be, and I'd actually be shocked if it was. They don't care about doing something new. They've made that so abundantly clear. And I don't say in that in a bad way or in a way that makes them look like dicks. I'm just saying they've been very clear that when they try, not enough people care so I doubt they start or continue doing something that they think doesn't work at 70 year olds.

Is my two cents.

You say "they don't want to do anything new"....funny, but Keith just finished "something new"...Ronnie did a cpl yrs ago....Mick's obviously the fly in this ointment. I'm sure Charlie would do what's asked of him in a heartbeat.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: March 1, 2015 23:36

alhavu1
Im telling you they were giving tickets away for stadiums last time around

Did you get one ?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: March 1, 2015 23:42

two4fun111
RollingFreak
flacnvinyl

Is my two cents.

You say "they don't want to do anything new"....funny, but Keith just finished "something new"...Ronnie did a cpl yrs ago....Mick's obviously the fly in this ointment. I'm sure Charlie would do what's asked of him in a heartbeat.

This isn't new, but fairly recent:

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 1, 2015 23:47

bleedingman
two4fun111
RollingFreak
flacnvinyl

Is my two cents.

This isn't new, but fairly recent:

They have lots of new songs just waiting to being published - just ask Keith.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 1, 2015 23:51

RollingFreak
flacnvinyl

I don't think it is at all, but I'm just going along with the rumor. I highly doubt it will be, and I'd actually be shocked if it was. They don't care about doing something new.

A SF-themed mini-set wouldn't be sth new : Brown Sugar has been played to death. Sway Horses CYHMK Bitch and Dead FLowers are rarely played but they know these ones.

Only Gotta Move, I Got The Blues Morphine and MMile would require some rehearsal. Imo that's do-able.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: March 2, 2015 00:07

RollingFreak
flacnvinyl

Is my two cents.

I think you have hit the nail on the heat. Unfortunately.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 2, 2015 00:20

two4fun111
RollingFreak
flacnvinyl

Is my two cents.

Again, I don't mean it meanly. But Mick has talked endlessly the last decade about how they'll try something new and it just falls flat. They've said on multiple occasions how they get blank stares and they just plain don't want that. My thinking is at 70, their done testing it. They've tried, and in their eyes they've not done something that was worth keeping, and they'd rather just do a tried and true show for the casual fans. Which is completely fair at this point, its just disappointing for hardcores, but after how much they've said it its also not a shock, at least to me.

And if we're going by what Keith says... well, just don't do that. This was also the man who said "3 guitar attack" or something to that nature about having Taylor and we got him for 2 songs a show. I'm sure he'd love to do something new, but he's not really the one making decisions, he's just saying it. And also, while I think he might want to do something new, I wouldn't put it past him not to really want to rehearse, and we all know Mick (rightfully) isn't gonna let that fly.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: March 2, 2015 01:28

RollingFreak
two4fun111
RollingFreak
flacnvinyl

Is my two cents.

Again, I don't mean it meanly. But Mick has talked endlessly the last decade about how they'll try something new and it just falls flat. They've said on multiple occasions how they get blank stares and they just plain don't want that. My thinking is at 70, their done testing it. They've tried, and in their eyes they've not done something that was worth keeping, and they'd rather just do a tried and true show for the casual fans. Which is completely fair at this point, its just disappointing for hardcores, but after how much they've said it its also not a shock, at least to me.

And if we're going by what Keith says... well, just don't do that. This was also the man who said "3 guitar attack" or something to that nature about having Taylor and we got him for 2 songs a show. I'm sure he'd love to do something new, but he's not really the one making decisions, he's just saying it. And also, while I think he might want to do something new, I wouldn't put it past him not to really want to rehearse, and we all know Mick (rightfully) isn't gonna let that fly.
Maybe they did some other stuff and didn't like it. If OMS and DAG are the best they got then maybe it's the best decision. Making an album is a commitment forever, a concert even today is less so. Let's see what the Who's new album does and who really cares and then ask the same question here.

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: March 2, 2015 02:08

I don't think it is any one man's decision at all to play it safe. At this point in time, especially from watching him on stage light up when he steps forward, I think that crowd recognition/adoration is every bit as important to Keith as it is to Mick. As for anything new, lets admit that NOT including compilations and live projects. Jagger has 4 solo to two Richards albums plus Superheavy, 3 of which have been released after Richards' last release of original material. We are told, by Keith, that he has a solo album in the can, but it is seeming to take the status of the infamous GNR Chinese Democracy release; an endeavor long it the works with no sign of a real release.

I think it is a mutual decision of at least the Glimmer Twins if not all to play it safe. I also think that is is seriously debateable thet either, and almost certainly Keith, would be willing to put in the extra time and effort necessary to learn and rehaarse new material. It is also right to suspect that in large stadium shows much of that might fall very flat in a large stadium. Revisionist history makes us see bravery through the nostalgia coloured glasses of the time,but this has failed before. Quoting an article, THE ROLLING STONES UNFAVORABLE 1978 US TOUR BY GENE M. BROXSON, that echoed other more widely published reviews, especially as it deal with set lists:

During the Rolling Stones 1978 US Tour, the set-list contained very few Stones classics, and was comprised almost entirely of new material. This was a disastrous mistake on the part of the Rolling Stones....The huge crowds at the stadium concerts have paid a lot of money to see the band, and they expect to hear the classic songs that made the band famous. At first they are full of excitement and energy as they anticipate the killer performance full of the classic Rolling Stones songs that they love, but when they realize that the band is not playing their favorite songs, and instead is playing new material that they are unfamiliar with and don’t want to hear...and this happened several times at the stadium shows on Rolling Stones 1978 Tour.

At every show I go to, I see people ho follow the stones avidly , maybe 10-20 people at every show that I know by name. Then there are pre show parties from city to city and after show gatherings of those of us that are hooked. Still, take all of us, multiply by a large unknown factor, and still we are outnumbered by tens of thousands at each show. 40000 that would sit confused by Gunface, whould just shrug there shoulders at "Might as Well Get Juiced," and who might even say to OOC, "oh that must be one of their new songs, I've never heard it." At these prices , as performers, the Stones are obligated to provide the shows that the majority of ticket holders want to hear for the price they pay.

If that makes you unhappy, if you don'y like which guitarist gets to play what solo, then stay home. I am pretty sure ticket sales won't change much for these reasons. If, like myself, BV, and lots of others, you still enjoy the hell out of a Stones show, get out there this summer, there are probably not a lot of shows left.

I'll see you there.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 2, 2015 02:27

kahoosier
I don't think it is any one man's decision at all to play it safe. At this point in time, especially from watching him on stage light up when he steps forward, I think that crowd recognition/adoration is every bit as important to Keith as it is to Mick. As for anything new, lets admit that NOT including compilations and live projects. Jagger has 4 solo to two Richards albums plus Superheavy, 3 of which have been released after Richards' last release of original material. We are told, by Keith, that he has a solo album in the can, but it is seeming to take the status of the infamous GNR Chinese Democracy release; an endeavor long it the works with no sign of a real release.

I think it is a mutual decision of at least the Glimmer Twins if not all to play it safe. I also think that is is seriously debateable thet either, and almost certainly Keith, would be willing to put in the extra time and effort necessary to learn and rehaarse new material. It is also right to suspect that in large stadium shows much of that might fall very flat in a large stadium. Revisionist history makes us see bravery through the nostalgia coloured glasses of the time,but this has failed before. Quoting an article, THE ROLLING STONES UNFAVORABLE 1978 US TOUR BY GENE M. BROXSON, that echoed other more widely published reviews, especially as it deal with set lists:

During the Rolling Stones 1978 US Tour, the set-list contained very few Stones classics, and was comprised almost entirely of new material. This was a disastrous mistake on the part of the Rolling Stones....The huge crowds at the stadium concerts have paid a lot of money to see the band, and they expect to hear the classic songs that made the band famous. At first they are full of excitement and energy as they anticipate the killer performance full of the classic Rolling Stones songs that they love, but when they realize that the band is not playing their favorite songs, and instead is playing new material that they are unfamiliar with and don’t want to hear...and this happened several times at the stadium shows on Rolling Stones 1978 Tour.

At every show I go to, I see people ho follow the stones avidly , maybe 10-20 people at every show that I know by name. Then there are pre show parties from city to city and after show gatherings of those of us that are hooked. Still, take all of us, multiply by a large unknown factor, and still we are outnumbered by tens of thousands at each show. 40000 that would sit confused by Gunface, whould just shrug there shoulders at "Might as Well Get Juiced," and who might even say to OOC, "oh that must be one of their new songs, I've never heard it." At these prices , as performers, the Stones are obligated to provide the shows that the majority of ticket holders want to hear for the price they pay.

If that makes you unhappy, if you don'y like which guitarist gets to play what solo, then stay home. I am pretty sure ticket sales won't change much for these reasons. If, like myself, BV, and lots of others, you still enjoy the hell out of a Stones show, get out there this summer, there are probably not a lot of shows left.

I'll see you there.

+1

Standing "O"

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: March 2, 2015 03:29

The setlist talk is crazy.
Down under we got

Loving Cup
respectable
Sweet Virginia
Bitch
OOC
Let's spend the night together
Like a rolling stone
Wild horses
Can't be seen
Get off my cloud
Worried about you
You got the silver
All down the line
Paint it black
Dead Flowers
Silver Train

Plus all the classic war horses.

What's not to like ?

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 2, 2015 03:48

Deathgod
The setlist talk is crazy.
Down under we got

Loving Cup
respectable
Sweet Virginia
Bitch
OOC
Let's spend the night together
Like a rolling stone
Wild horses
Can't be seen
Get off my cloud
Worried about you
You got the silver
All down the line
Paint it black
Dead Flowers
Silver Train

Plus all the classic war horses.

What's not to like ?

Nothing, that's what's not to like.

Just tell me where, when, and how much, and I'll make arrangements. Or cry pitifully/sell something if I can't afford it.

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: March 2, 2015 09:11

I'll make you a deal Aquamarine, make it to a show I am at, find me and introduce yourself, and the first 5 drinks are on my bar tab at either the pre or after show get together.

We are a tribe and need to get together!

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 2, 2015 09:35

kahoosier
I'll make you a deal Aquamarine, make it to a show I am at, find me and introduce yourself, and the first 5 drinks are on my bar tab at either the pre or after show get together.

We are a tribe and need to get together!

Well, allrighty! thumbs up drinking smiley

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: March 2, 2015 10:15

UNC Kenan Stadium fits about 50-55k...would be perfect place for a summer evening; Chapel Hill and UNC. They played at Duke in 05 now it's time to play for the Tarheels.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4344454647484950515253...LastNext
Current Page: 48 of 168

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2288
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home