Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Why have TWO Concerts on BluRay/ DVD from 1981... anyone?
Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: November 19, 2014 05:27

Hampton Coliseum - Live In 1981 boasts a full-length 2 1/2 hour concert, featuring "Under My Thumb," "Let's Spend The Night Together," "Shattered," "Beast Of Burden," "Tumbling Dice," "Miss You," "Brown Sugar," "Jumping Jack Flash," "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction," and many more. The Rolling Stones American Tour in 1981, in support of the critical and commercial smash Tattoo You, was the most successful tour of that year, taking in a then record $50 million dollars in ticket sales. The 50-date tour kicked off in Philadelphia in September 1981 and ended with two dates in Hampton, Virginia on December 18 and 19. The show on December 18th, which was also Keith Richards' birthday, was the first ever music concert to be broadcast on television as a pay-per-view event.

Let's Spend the Night Together is a live concert film, documenting The Rolling Stones' 1981 North American Tour. It was directed by Hal Ashby, and released to cinemas in 1983, then subsequently released on VHS and CED Videodisc. It was released in New Zealand & Australia with the alternative title Time Is On Our Side on VHS and is currently available on DVD in Japan, Australia and New Zealand (as L.S.T.N.T from STUDIO CANAL/UNIVERSAL). It was filmed at the Meadowlands Sports Complex in East Rutherford, New Jersey (5–6 November 1981) and at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, Arizona (13 December 1981).

Why have TWO Concerts on BluRay/ DVD from 1981, just asking?

Re: Why have TWO Concerts on BluRay/ DVD from 1981... anyone?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 19, 2014 05:57

uh...why not?

Let's Spend the Night Together was a cinematic release as you've shown, and the Hampton show was PPV. Why not rerelease the PPV?

People love that show, why not release it?

Posted by: SharksWillCry ()
Date: November 19, 2014 06:04

I think as far as the Stones are concerned, the Hampton The 1981 release. It seems to me that the LSTNT movie isn't one of those they would prefer to see out at this point in time. I don't ever remember seeing an official US release, other than on VHS years ago.

What I don't understand is that, now that Eagle Rock is the Stones company exclusive video organ, why they have Hampton on DVD/Blu-ray but LA Forum on DVD only since they were both originally shot on SD video.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: November 19, 2014 06:08

LSTNT is sped up and butchered, for starters.

That said, I'd kill for a straight release of that Phoenix show. Unedited and not sped up, of course.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 19, 2014 06:49

Why not?

For the current middle-aged segment of their audience, those aged 45 to 50, that was their first Stones tour. And for the Stones contemporary audience from the sixties, that was the last Olde-Tyme tour when the Stones still seemed raunchy and dangerous.

That was a point then, and is still now, where two generations met in agreement on their favorite band.

Before posting this, I was just listening to the Hampton CD. Love it! I'm 48, and the Stones of '81 will always sound great.

Date: November 19, 2014 07:39

JuanTCB

That said, I'd kill for a straight release of that Phoenix show. Unedited and not sped up, of course.

AGREED

.....keep on rolling.....

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 19, 2014 07:48

They're two entirely different animals. LSTNT has not aged well, and Hampton is a revelation. It's nicer to see them in an arena than in a football stadium.

Date: November 19, 2014 13:38

midimannz
Hampton Coliseum - Live In 1981 boasts a full-length 2 1/2 hour concert, featuring "Under My Thumb," "Let's Spend The Night Together," "Shattered," "Beast Of Burden," "Tumbling Dice," "Miss You," "Brown Sugar," "Jumping Jack Flash," "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction," and many more. The Rolling Stones American Tour in 1981, in support of the critical and commercial smash Tattoo You, was the most successful tour of that year, taking in a then record $50 million dollars in ticket sales. The 50-date tour kicked off in Philadelphia in September 1981 and ended with two dates in Hampton, Virginia on December 18 and 19. The show on December 18th, which was also Keith Richards' birthday, was the first ever music concert to be broadcast on television as a pay-per-view event.

Let's Spend the Night Together is a live concert film, documenting The Rolling Stones' 1981 North American Tour. It was directed by Hal Ashby, and released to cinemas in 1983, then subsequently released on VHS and CED Videodisc. It was released in New Zealand & Australia with the alternative title Time Is On Our Side on VHS and is currently available on DVD in Japan, Australia and New Zealand (as L.S.T.N.T from STUDIO CANAL/UNIVERSAL). It was filmed at the Meadowlands Sports Complex in East Rutherford, New Jersey (5–6 November 1981) and at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, Arizona (13 December 1981).

Why have TWO Concerts on BluRay/ DVD from 1981, just asking?

Let's Spend The Night Together is not a concert - it's a sped-up, butchered glimpse of what could have been a concert. Yet, I like it smiling smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 19, 2014 13:42

On the plus side for LSTNT the Japanese BluRay video is breathtakingly sharp...besides it brings back cool memories of seeing the movie in a theater in 1983, my first Stones "show" so to speak ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-19 13:42 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: November 19, 2014 20:49

I agree, the BluRay is real sharp!

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: November 19, 2014 21:36

If they put out a third one of that tour, i'll be running to the record store again.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 19, 2014 22:34

Why have TWO Concerts on BluRay/ DVD from 1981...

... both directed by Hal Ashby! Izzat a conspiracy? Are there hidden subliminal messages hidden inside the DVDs?

The plot thickens! grinning smiley

Posted by: saskiahidde ()
Date: November 19, 2014 22:38

LSTNT was filmed and I assume one can make a brilliant blu ray 16:9 from that master tape, apart from the fact it runs too fast at its current stage.

Hampton is great but it was videotaped, thats why the current release still is in the old 4:3 format. But anything is better than our old bootleg VHS.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: November 19, 2014 22:40

I don't care if they release two '81 shows as long as they release five '71 shows on bluray.

Posted by: mikesnaps ()
Date: November 20, 2014 01:30

Agreed 71 shows would be great. I would love the Marquee 71 show on blu Ray. The Stones are almost too dismissive of their legacy.
We had to wait decades for RocknRoll circus to be released. Release the Marquee club show and would be great if they could swing a deal to get the 69 Madison square garden footage out as a bluray/DVD That's my Wishlist anyway!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-20 01:31 by mikesnaps.

Posted by: straycatdevil ()
Date: November 20, 2014 02:05

The first new jersey show would absolutely kick ass on bluray. The show is red hot and it was filmed not videotaped. Having said that why not release all the footage from new jersey and phoenix and release a deluxe version of the movie.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: July 23, 2015 17:07

[forums.stevehoffman.tv]

A new Edition of LSTNT being released on BluRay in October in Japan.

I love both; LSTNT and Hampton; but would love the full performances from Phoenix and New Jersey; what a double disc that would make.

I hope to purchase the 2011 Japanese LSTNT BluRay; the reviews all seem to be absolutely excellent. It was only released on BluRay in 2011, not also DVD?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-23 17:07 by IrelandCalling4.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 23, 2015 17:10

Got the Seattle show on DVD boot- would LOVE to see that done professionally...... Star Star is hot.

Date: July 23, 2015 17:20

Two words...Cash Grab.

Also they must be simply catering to the fans, realizing the historical impact that the Hampton show (and that tour) had on the America's, dare I say world's, pop culture limitations. The Eagles may have gotten away with charging an arm and a leg before anyone else, but the Sotnes beat them to the punch when it came to sponsors and pay-per-views...Must have been a very risky undertaking on these giants' parts at the time.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 23, 2015 17:22

JuanTCB

thumbs up

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: July 23, 2015 17:29

Thrylan
Got the Seattle show on DVD boot- would LOVE to see that done professionally...... Star Star is hot.

'Still Life in Seattle'? I had that years ago on DVD, but I believe a better version was subsequently released (cannot recall Bootleg Label) - there are clips on YouTube, and it does look good.

I also have Houston '81 on VHS, quality was okay, but I know there is also a remastered bootleg DVD version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-23 17:30 by IrelandCalling4.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 23, 2015 17:36

LSTNT is hilariously awesome. I'd love to have a Blu-ray of this. And if Hampton is included... it's about time they started using the technology properly - loading more than one thing on it.

Date: July 23, 2015 17:45

IrelandCalling4
Thrylan

'Still Life in Seattle'? I had that years ago on DVD, but I believe a better version was subsequently released (cannot recall Bootleg Label) - there are clips on YouTube, and it does look good.

I also have Houston '81 on VHS, quality was okay, but I know there is also a remastered bootleg DVD version.

Could it have been Seattle Supersonic?

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 23, 2015 17:49

IrelandCalling4
Thrylan

I believe so.....Thanks, I'll check that out. The downer on LSTNT for me is the multi show format. I'm a realistic adult. I will trade a few bum notes for the continuity of a complete show.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 23, 2015 22:14

Thrylan
IrelandCalling4
Thrylan

I believe so.....Thanks, I'll check that out. The downer on LSTNT for me is the multi show format. I'm a realistic adult. I will trade a few bum notes for the continuity of a complete show.

I doubt the idea was to film a minimum of two venues with 4 shows, consisting of 3 shows at one, in case of some bad notes.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 23, 2015 23:05

IrelandCalling4

A new Edition of LSTNT being released on BluRay in October in Japan.

LSTNT is currently also available in the US-iTunes-Store: [itunes.apple.com] .

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: July 24, 2015 01:37

i had the vhs of lets spend the night together many years ago, upgraded to dvd a couple of years ago, would like to get the dvd,s of recent concerts released officially but for some reason the band wont release them in a format that works on dvd players suited to the brittish electric current. im well p1ssed off with this and dont know what the reason is behind this. maybe thier testing these on the american market before they release them over here.

i wont be changing format of my dvd player though, they are acceptable for most other releases including stones dvd,s from the past like shine a light, ladies and gentleman and stones in the park.

Posted by: straycatdevil ()
Date: July 24, 2015 04:14

Because that tour rocked and that first new jersey show is absolutely killer-better than Hampton. All that footage should be released. Why would anyone complain if they did? They should release all the footage they can.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 24, 2015 10:05

buttons67

i had the vhs of lets spend the night together many years ago, upgraded to dvd a couple of years ago, would like to get the dvd,s of recent concerts released officially but for some reason the band wont release them in a format that works on dvd players suited to the brittish electric current. [...]

You could try this LSTNT-DVD-release from The Netherlands (PAL, Regions 2,4) on [www.amazon.co.uk] ....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1799
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home