Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Five Essential Stones Bootlegs
Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: July 4, 2015 22:14

According to Rolling Stone these are the five essential bootlegs from our boys. I have always loved the Philadelphia Special and believe it is fantastic, but there is nothing after 72, what about successive tours, such as as the 78 american tour or the 81 and 82 tours (I am mentioning these as there amongst my favourite) or most recent (89 post 89)? The band is still performing at an incredible level nowdays, but in documentary or articles anything post 1981 is very rarely mentioned.
Do you agree with these choices, what your favourite boots? My knowledge of the band is quite good, but I value the opinion of the experts on here.smileys with beer

five greatest bootlegs

Re: Five Essential Stones Bootlegs
Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: July 4, 2015 22:58

Brussels
Philly Specialshow 1
Leed Lungs
Perth 73
Hillside Blues
LA Friday
Handsome Girls

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: July 4, 2015 23:07

My five favorite boots would be:

1. ''Live at the Cirkus'', Crystal Cat - STILL, to this day, the best sounding Stones audience tape I've heard, the performance isn't bad either...
2. ''Stripped Companion'' RSTS - Superb quality and fantastic playing, the acoustic takes are 'a must'.
3. ''Brussels Affair Definitive Edition'' Rattlesnake - Great extended version, the second disc is very fun.
4. ''Vive La France'' (7th June '76) VGP - To have at least ONE concert from 1976 in soundboard is a must, this one sounds better than 6th June.
5. ''65 Licks'' 6-cd VGP - Not the best sound quality but the concerts are amazingly good.

Two releases to check out because the concerts are so bad:

1. ''Riding To The Rescue'', Rattlesnake - ''Don't give a shit'' performance with Keith sleeping behind his guitar, during IORR he even misses to change chord during the bridge...
2. ''Welcomeback Keef!'' (Nürnberg '98) VGP, The first half of the concert is good but then Mick totally loses his voice, and it's actually funny to hear how weak they are without Mick in shape

Posted by: ab ()
Date: July 5, 2015 00:16

I'm OK with the RS choices. The vast majority of the Stones' top work comes from their first 10 years. That's the portion of the catalog that the whole "greatest rock 'n' roll band in the world" thing is based upon. So it makes sense to choose the five best from that period. It doesn't mean that post 72 is lacking in excellent boots. There are plenty. But if you're limited to five, choices from the first 10 years are entirely defensible

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-05 00:19 by ab.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 5, 2015 00:35

As I am always reluctant to start new threads, I posted the article a few days ago here:

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: July 5, 2015 00:46

RS has seemingly just quickly picked five full bootleg videos from youtube and made an easy article. I doubt the writer has any deeper insight at all into the millions of great bootlegs out there.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 5, 2015 00:50

While I agree with their choices of BBC 1963-1965 and In Action, both of which I have, I have not heard the other three on the list. The RS list seems completely slanted toward live boots and ignores the essential studio stuff. Here's my top five.

For a time-spanning grab bag, Hard To Find: Act 1, spanning 1963 to 1989, featuring both studio and live tracks, is recommended (2002; Alternative Edge Productions).

Here's a great collection of their 1963 to 1965 studio and live output:

Another great studio collection spanning 1963 to 1966:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-05 04:03 by stonehearted.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: July 5, 2015 01:47

See, I'm less interested in the 'live' boots, apart from the early BBC boots (though I want to make clear I'm not saying they're bad and some of course I'd enjoy if I ever I had one).

What I really crave are bootlegs from the 1965-1966 era recording sessions(and the 1968 Beggar's Banquet era recording sessions). I want to hear the dialogue in between takes and various versions of multiple takes of different songs from that era. This way you get more insight into each of the Stones contributions to the most historic Stones albums and songs.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 5, 2015 11:36

There's a beautiful 3-disk set of 63-71 BBC performances, demos and outtakes
called More Stoned Than You'll Ever Be - very lovingly put together

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 5, 2015 19:49

latebloomer
As I am always reluctant to start new threads, I posted the article a few days ago here:

[www.iorr.org]

Yep Latebloomer, you deserve the credits here, though you won't get rich now. smiling smiley

This thread is a bastard thread and could be merged into the original an credited one.

Date: July 5, 2015 19:58

kleermaker
latebloomer

[www.iorr.org]

Yep Latebloomer, you deserve the credits here, though you won't get rich now. smiling smiley

This thread is a bastard thread and could be merged into the original an credited one.

Well, it's really more my insecurities, Kleerie...it's slightly humiliating to me when I start a thread that goes nowhere.

But, bastard thread? I like that one! I see all kinds of possibilities now for thread categories...starting with covert food threads. grinning smiley

Posted by: HearMeKnockin ()
Date: July 5, 2015 19:59

latebloomer
kleermaker
latebloomer

[www.iorr.org]

Well, it's really more my insecurities, Kleerie...it's slightly humiliating to me when I start a thread that goes nowhere.

But, bastard thread? I like that one! I see all kinds of possibilities now for thread categories...starting with covert food threads. grinning smiley

You don't need to be covert, just make sure it's tied to the Stones somehow... or else...

Date: July 5, 2015 20:37

The three Godfather 'Thru The Vaults Darkly' comps.
Handsome Girls
Fifteen Kicks - Palais Royale Toronto 2002

Scotty,
Irvine, CA

See you in Detroit.

Date: July 5, 2015 21:00

OMG I have created a bastard thread. I have unleashed a monster: This is the worst thing in the world! My apologies latebloomersmileys with beer

Date: July 5, 2015 21:12

desertblues68
OMG I have created a bastard thread. I have unleashed a monster: This is the worst thing in the world! My apologies latebloomersmileys with beer

There are worse things blues, sometimes you just gotta be a bastard to get anywhere in this life. Look at our favorite band members. grinning smiley

Date: July 5, 2015 21:15

latebloomer
desertblues68

There are worse things blues, sometimes you just gotta be a bastard to get anywhere in this life. Look at our favorite band members. grinning smiley

smileys with beer

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 5, 2015 22:39

desertblues68
latebloomer
desertblues68

smileys with beer

You obviously mean the current members Bloomer. cool smiley

Date: July 5, 2015 22:46

kleermaker
desertblues68
latebloomer
desertblues68

smileys with beer

You obviously mean the current members Bloomer. cool smiley

Members of IORR, yes. winking smiley

Posted by: micawberfan ()
Date: July 23, 2015 18:12

Hi guys...newbie here. I'm a youngin...but been a Stones fan for years. I got hooked on them as a pre-teen when I bought the Stripped album when it came out. I FINALLY got to see them in Milwaukee this year...it was an unbelievable experience. My wife surprised me the day of the show with a 30th row ticket. The show was amazing. I've read about a compilation album called Stripped Companion. I'm wondering if you anyone can point me in the direction of where I could get a copy? I loved the Stripped album SO much when I heard it. I'd love to hear the additional tracks that weren't released. Thanks SO much!!!

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 23, 2015 18:22

It bothers me that you stated your first album(CD...lol) was Stripped, you were a preteen, and you've been a fan for years- which is true......Time Fly's!! Welcome! That first show is awesome! I got into them at the age of 9, 1980, SSC blew me away. Mom bought ER for me.....etc. Too young for 81', I had to endure the "War" as a teen- never thought I'd see them. By 1989, I was 17, with two buddies heading to see the Stones, first shows rock!

Date: July 23, 2015 18:26

Well, I always liked the 60s tunes, because my dad raised me on that music. But Stripped was the first album I bought with my own money. And, sadly, it was because I heard their cover of Like A Rolling Stone in the Sylvester Stallone movie Assassins. How's that for a story!!! smiling smiley

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 23, 2015 18:29

You recovered well, doesn't matter how you got here.

Date: July 23, 2015 18:41

Ha...thanks!! Any idea where I could hear the stripped companion album? There are a few tracks on youtube, but I keep reading how Beast of Burden is absolutely amazing. Would love to hear it. Thanks guys!! And thanks for the welcome! smiling smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 23, 2015 19:20

Manchester'73(the night that was bootlegged)

Buffalo'75 the Aug.8 gig

Earls Court'76 the May 26 show

Philie'81 1st show

Oslo'90

Posted by: ChrisG ()
Date: July 23, 2015 20:15

what show is riding to the rescue?

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: July 23, 2015 20:48

ChrisG
what show is riding to the rescue?

MARCH 14 2006
NEW YORK, USA, RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: July 24, 2015 04:54

Regarding the RS article: I do not remember Taylor soloing on SFTD in San Diego. But the recording seems to get better as it goes along. Is it the recording or do your ears adjust? In any event...that show has a nice UMT. Otherwise I think the band sounds a bit tired. No wonder. It is its 6th show in 4 nights in 4 cities.

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: July 24, 2015 12:28

Brstonesfan
Brussels
Philly Specialshow 1
Leed Lungs
Perth 73
Hillside Blues
LA Friday
Handsome Girls

Ahem, Brussels, Leeds, LA Friday and Handsome Girls used to be essential bootlegs, but not anymore since they are officially released...

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: July 24, 2015 13:57

The Rattlesnake issue "Key to the Highway" looks great; stereo versions of some big hits, and the instrumental backing tapes which I love. I must research these, I'd like more instrumental backing tracks for a lot of the mid 60s stuff.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1769
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home