Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Did Mick Taylor perform on Silver Train last night?
Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: November 19, 2014 00:13

DandelionPowderman
I think he sorely needs more overdrive when playing slide in standard tuning with that particular Strat as well.

He uses more single-strings while playing open G on Stop Breakin' Down.

Also agree with this. I can understand why he retired the unknown-brand Strat he used to play on No Expectations during his solo gigs in favour of this one (I think it's one of the new AVRI '65 Strats, looks that way anyway) but for me the one he used before sounded better. I usually hate EMG pickups but he definitely got them working well for his particular purposes.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: November 19, 2014 00:16

Funny kinda train wreck. Mostly MJ fault imo. Looks like he's feeling embarrassed or guilty after the song, not communicating with the rest grinning smiley

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: November 19, 2014 00:31

mr_dja
RipThisBone
blackbird
RipThisBone

smileys with beer

Nice for Stones-believers like you and I. We Love this "new" songs... drinking smiley
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Shame they did not play Silver Train in Europe last summer......

Hoping for a CD/DVD next year "MICK TAYLOR and THE ROLLING STONES 2012-2014", including all different songs MT played onstage and during rehearsals also.

If they don't bring him upp on saturday for a couple of songs it will it a sadly short CD/DVD. sad smiley

A complilation is not so short (2012-2014):

Aproxx. timing:
LIVE:
1. Midnight Rambler 15 minutes
2. Can't You Hear Me Knocking 8 minutes
3. Satisfaction 6 minutes
4. Sway 6 minutes
5. Slipping Away 6 minutes
6. Streets Of Love 7 minutes
7. Silver Train 5 minutes

+ REHEARSALS 2012-2014 with Mick Taylor:
- Dead Flowers
- Heartbreaker
- Till The Next Goodbye
- Moonlight Mile
- Shine A Light
- Live With Me
- Let It Bleed
- Little Queenie
- Streetfighting Man
- You Can't Always Get What You Want
+ maybe more backstage footage.................

Based on the above timing, it's the equivalent of 3 sides of Exile... Total Exile 67:02 Estimate above: 53:00. I don't know that I'd enjoy it as much as Exile, but I'd be pretty happy listening to what we got!

Peace,
Mr DJA

thumbs up

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 19, 2014 00:32

Dreamer
Funny kinda train wreck. Mostly MJ fault imo. Looks like he's feeling embarrassed or guilty after the song, not communicating with the rest grinning smiley

This is the catch 22 with the band these days. They can play the warhorses in their sleep but when it comes to the more rare tracks they sound like the first try in the studio. I prefer the latter though. Less boring.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 19, 2014 00:41

This is why I love the Stones!

Posted by: Sam4741 ()
Date: November 19, 2014 00:45

I liked it quite a bit. The solid rhythm playing gave the song an extra jolt. Mick sounded pretty good. It was pretty sloppy, but I feel that adding that third guitar makes the performance much more interesting. Where you're not so sure who played a certain lick. I'd much rather see them try a rare track like this than hear them do something like Get Off My Cloud for the 1,000th time.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: November 19, 2014 00:53

Koen
This is why I love the Stones!

thumbs upsmileys with beerthumbs up

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: November 19, 2014 01:25

I also loved Ronnie on this song, but these songs rarely performed live, they would need to be tested much more!

everything's turning to gold

Posted by: gibsonman ()
Date: November 19, 2014 01:32

Nice to see them do songs that are not on autopilot. A trainwreck (or two or...) is just the charm of livemusic. Like at the Oslorehearsals, the best thing was to hear them start songs over again and hear them work together as a band to get the songs right. Nice to hear this one, although it could have been a better version....

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 19, 2014 01:42

Cool choice, but I can't say I'm not shocked that of all the songs in their catalogue, THIS is what they choose.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 19, 2014 02:26

It was a song choice from fans.

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: November 19, 2014 03:10

It's a bit sad that full time professional musicians can't do a better job than that. I enjoyed the Melbourne show while I was there but when I listened back to the audio it really wasn't as good as I first thought. Mistakes, timing issues and some songs sounding not even close to the originals, a little more care in the playing and a little less running around might help.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: November 19, 2014 03:26

Yeah, it wasn't perfect, but it was beautiful. I really enjoy seeing them try something outside of their comfort zone. I never realized how many "OH YEAH's" there are in Silver Train until I heard that version.

Posted by: Sam4741 ()
Date: November 19, 2014 03:27

Just gave this one another listen and it stuck out to me just how good Keith sounded on this. He busted out some really nice fills. I'm glad to see how comfortable he seemed, being how rarely it is played.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-19 03:28 by Sam4741.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: November 19, 2014 04:19

The other clip in the show thread has much better audio, I thought the guitars sounded good and MJ hit the money, honeys better. He's also the main obstacle, though, he doesn't give it the drive and the out of control bounce of the old takes. A little too straight lined. Shows how the three guitars can play nice together, though, and keeps MT engaged in the show.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 19, 2014 04:24

OK, allow me to just say this: I have waited, what...MY WHOLE LIFE to see Mick Taylor play Silver Train with the Rolling Stones. And then Ron Wood plays his guitar solo. WTF?

Thank you.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: November 19, 2014 04:33

71Tele
OK, allow me to just say this: I have waited, what...MY WHOLE LIFE to see Mick Taylor play Silver Train with the Rolling Stones. And then Ron Wood plays his guitar solo. WTF?

Thank you.

The re-arrangement of the song to accommodate two guitar solos was, of course, what caused the trainwreck.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 19, 2014 05:09

Well that was a big hot mess. Love to see them taking some chances...it could have been magical but it was pretty mediocre, imho.

Besides the obvious "where are we" moments I thought Mick's singing was off key, his harmonica obviously wasn't loud enough and the guitars were not balanced very well.

But I'd rather see them failing to make a song like this work than a perfect version of JJF any day! I think they could have stretched the tune out a bit and eventually found their groove. peace

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: November 19, 2014 06:13

I think the general consensus of this thread is: more messy deep(ish) cuts and less clean war horses!

Date: November 19, 2014 06:24

alieb
I think the general consensus of this thread is: more messy deep(ish) cuts and less clean war horses!

... and less Ron Wood playing Mick Taylor parts when Mick Taylor is standing right next to him. smoking smiley

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: November 19, 2014 06:54

lapaz62
It's a bit sad that full time professional musicians can't do a better job than that. I enjoyed the Melbourne show while I was there but when I listened back to the audio it really wasn't as good as I first thought. Mistakes, timing issues and some songs sounding not even close to the originals, a little more care in the playing and a little less running around might help.

You're kidding right?? The Stones have hardly ever performed songs live as they were recorded (Originals)... Live interpretations of songs are one of the main reasons I go to see a band perform... you have the record if you want that version... different musicians on these recordings, having played most of these 1,000's of time are just two of the reasons these aren't 100% like the "Originals"

I thought you would have been happy just to see and hear the Stones with MT after all the postponements of the past year or so... SMH

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: November 19, 2014 07:02

71Tele
alieb

... and less Ron Wood playing Mick Taylor parts when Mick Taylor is standing right next to him. smoking smiley

that too. and more Mick Taylor in general! grinning smiley

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: November 19, 2014 07:03

sounds damn good to me.

Date: November 19, 2014 07:13

Don't get me wrong, I love Mick T. and Ron playing together. I think there are 10 songs or more where three guitars could be really interesting and exciting. I just don't understand why on THIS song (of all songs) they would have Ronnie playing the part Mick Taylor created and then re-arrange the song to add a second guitar solo for Mick Taylor. It would be like if they brought Taylor on for Start Me Up to play Ronnie's solo.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 19, 2014 07:22

<<It's a bit sad that full time professional musicians can't do a better job than that.>>

I think it's great that 70-year-olds can sound raw and a bit sloppy from time to time, like a rough and ready bar band. Professionalism is fine, but you don't want your old favorites getting too slick. They still laugh and shrug it off if they make a mistake--because it's not the end of the world, or the end of the show.

You could assemble a group of session musicians to play it note perfect--but would you want to hear it? Sloppy or not, there's still a fun vibe going on there.

I doubt anyone who was at the show would be critiquing missed vocal cues or off key slide guitar, because if you're at a concert to be critical then you're not having a good time. It isn't Mozart, it's rock and roll.

That's like going to a party and refusing to laugh at a joke someone told because they didn't tell the punch line perfectly, maybe tripping over a word or two. Or maybe you didn't have a good time because the beer wasn't cold enough, or it seemed a bit flat out of the keg.

At a live Stones gig, there's more to it than just musicianship: there's the mood, the vibe, the aura, the party, the celebration, because it's more than just a collective of "full-time professional musicians"--it's a band. Big difference there.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: November 19, 2014 08:29

DandelionPowderman
Stoneburst
I quite enjoyed that, the trainwreck after Taylor's solo notwithstanding

Trainwreck before his solo as well smiling smiley

It was nice that they played it, but it doesn't work very well, imo.

I agree...it didnt work that well back in 1973 either.
But a step in the right direction.

Date: November 19, 2014 09:13

71Tele

Thank you.

He could have played his guitar solo when it was his turn, but froze a bit - like Ronnie did. Mind you, this arrangement was different than in Tokyo, where Taylor played the only solo. This might have stirred things up a bit and eventually made it difficult for them.

He played with a different tuning, so he wouldn't have played THAT solo anyhow.

Date: November 19, 2014 09:42

DandelionPowderman
71Tele

Thank you.

He could have played his guitar solo when it was his turn, but froze a bit - like Ronnie did. Mind you, this arrangement was different than in Tokyo, where Taylor played the only solo. This might have stirred things up a bit and eventually made it difficult for them.

You're saying Taylor was supposed to play the first solo but froze, AND he was in the wrong tuning?

Date: November 19, 2014 10:07

71Tele
DandelionPowderman
71Tele

Thank you.

You're saying Taylor was supposed to play the first solo but froze, AND he was in the wrong tuning?

No, but by changing the arrangement they made it more difficult for themselves.

Not the wrong tuning (yes, "wrong", compared to the studio version), but a different tuning that requires a different playing style. This was open G, whilst Silver Train is in standard tuning.

The hesitation from both guitarists probably had to do with something weird going on with the rhythm section (just a guess).

Posted by: blackbird ()
Date: November 19, 2014 10:28

RipThisBone
blackbird
RipThisBone

smileys with beer

Nice for Stones-believers like you and I. We Love this "new" songs... drinking smiley
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Shame they did not play Silver Train in Europe last summer......

Hoping for a CD/DVD next year "MICK TAYLOR and THE ROLLING STONES 2012-2014", including all different songs MT played onstage and during rehearsals also.

If they don't bring him upp on saturday for a couple of songs it will it a sadly short CD/DVD. sad smiley

A complilation is not so short (2012-2014):

Aproxx. timing:
LIVE:
1. Midnight Rambler 15 minutes
2. Can't You Hear Me Knocking 8 minutes
3. Satisfaction 6 minutes
4. Sway 6 minutes
5. Slipping Away 6 minutes
6. Streets Of Love 7 minutes
7. Silver Train 5 minutes

+ REHEARSALS 2012-2014 with Mick Taylor:
- Dead Flowers
- Heartbreaker
- Till The Next Goodbye
- Moonlight Mile
- Shine A Light
- Live With Me
- Let It Bleed
- Little Queenie
- Streetfighting Man
- You Can't Always Get What You Want
+ maybe more backstage footage.................

I still hope we get song 8 on saturday and then it will be a even nicer compilation.winking smiley

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1848
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home