Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 2 of 9
Re: Greatest Stones Live Track
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 17, 2014 08:52

stonehearted
From December's Children, by which time they were becoming seasoned pros and Brian was still very much in the game:

Yes, Route 66 with Brian is it!

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 17, 2014 08:55

DandelionPowderman
A toss up between When The Whip Comes Down (Detroit 78) and I'm Moving On (Live In England '65). Both features a swinging band with a charming imperfect Stones sound.

I'm Moving on is also a fantastic choice...that one was the follower to 'Tell Me' on Swedish Top Chart Lists...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: November 17, 2014 09:10

Heartbreaker 1973

Doesn't get any better than this!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-17 09:12 by gripweed.

Posted by: SixesandSevens ()
Date: November 17, 2014 09:24

'Little Queenie' - Ya-Yas
'Gimme Shelter' - Altamont, 'Gimme Shelter' film end credits
'Bitch' - Sydney, 1973
'Tumbling Dice' -'Brussels Affair' (the bootleg, not the official release)

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 17, 2014 11:09

Ozzistone YCAGWYW Brussels Affair 9/10. would have got 10 but the sax solo goes onto a bit too long....

LONG been my fave Stones live track, since I bought Nasty Music. SAX SOLO SEGUIING into guitar is my fave part...though the sax could go a bit longer ;-)

Posted by: ash ()
Date: November 17, 2014 11:26

Come On
DandelionPowderman
A toss up between When The Whip Comes Down (Detroit 78) and I'm Moving On (Live In England '65). Both features a swinging band with a charming imperfect Stones sound.

I'm Moving on is also a fantastic choice...that one was the follower to 'Tell Me' on Swedish Top Chart Lists...

I'm Moving On is absolutely brilliant. I am doubtful that it's entirely live as you can hear the harmonica chugging away while Mick is singing and Brian is otherwise occupied on slide guitar. I speculated in another thread that this might in fact be a dirtied up studio take. Is it possible that it is actually one of the 3 old blues numbers mentioned by BIll as being recorded at RCA in early 65 ? The first reviews from that tour (in NME) give a set list and I'm Moving On is not included although of course that could be bad journalism or because they played some different songs on different nights.
Whatever it's origin, it's one of my favourite Stones moments.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 17, 2014 11:56

Midnight Rambler - Ya Yas or Gimme Shelter - Wembley Sept 8 1973.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: November 17, 2014 16:08

Dancing with Mr D

Date: November 17, 2014 16:12

ash
Come On
DandelionPowderman

I'm Moving On is absolutely brilliant. I am doubtful that it's entirely live as you can hear the harmonica chugging away while Mick is singing and Brian is otherwise occupied on slide guitar. I speculated in another thread that this might in fact be a dirtied up studio take. Is it possible that it is actually one of the 3 old blues numbers mentioned by BIll as being recorded at RCA in early 65 ? The first reviews from that tour (in NME) give a set list and I'm Moving On is not included although of course that could be bad journalism or because they played some different songs on different nights.

I was referring to the Live In England '65 version (The 18:05 mark). Brian really kills this one!

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 17, 2014 19:06

[www.youtube.com]

Great live from the early days

Posted by: Brown Moses ()
Date: November 17, 2014 19:29

I'm with silverdagger,Gimme Shelter from Wembley Sept 8th 73.

Absolutely superb.Especially when taken with the Bedspring Symphony build up,the spoken intro (Bob Hope I think),a snippet of a version from 72 and then into the London version.Epic.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: November 17, 2014 20:05

Love in Vain and Midnight Rambler Ya Yas, Midnight Rambler Brussels, Memory Motel Stripped Companion!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-18 00:16 by desertblues68.

Posted by: HearTheWindHowl ()
Date: November 17, 2014 20:43

Midnight Rambler (Brussels 1973: The "Nasty Music" mix - IMO - is by far the best)
Love In Vain (Jump)

Posted by: slakka ()
Date: November 18, 2014 01:02

Sympathy from Altamont. Always an emotional ordeal for me.

Date: November 18, 2014 01:34

DandelionPowderman
ash
Come On
DandelionPowderman

I was referring to the Live In England '65 version (The 18:05 mark). Brian really kills this one!

He does and yes it's brilliant but who is playing the harmonica while Mick is singing and Brian is slidin' away ? Most noticeable on first verse first couple of lines. I am listening to this on crap speakers but i'm sure i can hear a harmonica. chugging away on the 7th of the chord.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 18, 2014 03:16

I haven't listened it lately, and probably the official release took some of its charm (and guitar power), and there are many good challengers, but I still would say the best one ever is BRUSSELS "Rambler". Not any Stones live track have made me so much impact.

- Doxa

Posted by: ozziestone ()
Date: November 18, 2014 03:55

Doxa
the best one ever is BRUSSELS "Rambler"

Agree Doxa but still say it is played too fast. Would have been perfection if the pace was cranked down a bit

Posted by: morgan9 ()
Date: November 18, 2014 04:11

1. Sympathy - Ya Ya's

2. Miss you - Handsome Girls 78 disk 1. 9min 30 and the guitar is mind blowing

for a fantastic studio jam I would also recommend Miss you on the complete Woodstock Tapes 17min 48sec

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: November 18, 2014 06:55

One thing to remember - this is NOT limited to offical releases. All bootlegs are fair game as sources.

I love it, and thanks to all!

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 18, 2014 10:53

YCAGWYW - Brussels (or, rather my Nasty Music vinyl!)
Sympathy - YaYas
JJF - LUL (I love this raw, ragged,loud version!)

Date: November 18, 2014 11:01

ash
DandelionPowderman
ash
Come On
DandelionPowderman

He does and yes it's brilliant but who is playing the harmonica while Mick is singing and Brian is slidin' away ? Most noticeable on first verse first couple of lines. I am listening to this on crap speakers but i'm sure i can hear a harmonica. chugging away on the 7th of the chord.

That doesn't happen on this version. It's Brian's slide smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-18 11:02 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: November 18, 2014 11:52

I'm playing your You Tube clip - 18.14 to 18.21 it's there i'm sure. at 18.18 Brian is sliding and that "thing" is there". Also the 2nd verse and after the slide solo. Either Keith's just playing a loud D note on the verses or that's a dub - (doesn't make the track any less brilliant- it's possibly in my Stones Top Ten). Check 19.28 to 19.40 too. It could be Keith but i'm thinking he's playing the classic Chuck/rock n roll bar chord thing throughout.
I'll check out the bbc versions to see what Keith plays.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: November 18, 2014 12:24

stonehearted

I've been enjoying the newly released Hampton 81 CD and an honorable mention must go to the set opener Under My Thumb, because it epitomizes what the Stones still had at that point: the rough edges with the classic sound. They had been recalibrated by punk, but not yet contaminated by eighties polish and overproduction, and they were still more than mere shadows of their late sixties and early seventies era.

That Hampton version plus that tours version of Under My Thumb is among their top five live tunes. What a great opener and you can see Keith and Mick having so much fun as they draw out the introduction. This was Stones at the top of their game.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: November 18, 2014 12:28

morgan9
1. Sympathy - Ya Ya's

2. Miss you - Handsome Girls 78 disk 1. 9min 30 and the guitar is mind blowing

Is this all guitars or Keith's or Ronnie's? Can people tell the difference?

Date: November 18, 2014 12:36

ash
I'm playing your You Tube clip - 18.14 to 18.21 it's there i'm sure. at 18.18 Brian is sliding and that "thing" is there". Also the 2nd verse and after the slide solo. Either Keith's just playing a loud D note on the verses or that's a dub - (doesn't make the track any less brilliant- it's possibly in my Stones Top Ten). Check 19.28 to 19.40 too. It could be Keith but i'm thinking he's playing the classic Chuck/rock n roll bar chord thing throughout.
I'll check out the bbc versions to see what Keith plays.

When the harp kicks in it sounds totally different. It's a guitar.

Indeed it is a brilliant rendition thumbs up

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: November 18, 2014 12:59

Hand Of Fate

Stockholm Cirkus 2003

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: November 18, 2014 13:01

My favourite tracks change constantly.....

Listenening to this a lot lately

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: November 18, 2014 13:38

HearTheWindHowl
Midnight Rambler (Brussels 1973: The "Nasty Music" mix - IMO - is by far the best)

thumbs up +1

Posted by: Niek ()
Date: November 18, 2014 14:27

That's how strong my love is from Paris 2003.
Love in vain L&G.
Gimme shelter Paradiso 1995
Torn and frayed live 2002 Toronto.
Sister Morphine live 1997 NY

(Always took candy from strangers)

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 18, 2014 15:15

honky tonk

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 2 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2400
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home