Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Melbourne song vote
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 4, 2014 10:53

Winning Ugly VXII
Moza
It's a shame SFM doesn't get more outings. Any ideas why not? I've always thought that as an equal to GS, SFTD, and MR, and better than JJF or HTW.

It used to be more of a fixture than GS , MR , and SFTD ..... until after the Voodoo Lounge tour ended.

SFM wasn't played at all in 1997,only 2 times in 1998,not played in 1999,returned for the Licks tour,and then not played in 2005,2006,or 2007.

Why ?? I don't know. Obviously something changed.

Yeah. Not that I am missing 'one more warhorse' (there is surely enough of them), but its downgrade from the classic level of "Flash", "Sympathy", etc. to votings like this - with "Loving Cup", "My Imagination" etc. - is a bit odd development. During the 70's it was a great finale song many times - clearly one of their signature songs.

I do recall that Jagger once - was it late 90's or something - said something to the effect that it is not 'relevant' any longer. Its political message didn't go with knighthood any longer?...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-04 10:54 by Doxa.

Date: November 4, 2014 11:17

SFM never became a warhorse.

SFM and RTJ should enter that section, imo.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: November 4, 2014 14:33

SFM but wouldn't mind JMI. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: November 4, 2014 16:14

Theitr all boring now. Play Stray cat blues!

Posted by: kishorcsog ()
Date: November 4, 2014 16:45

treaclefingers
whitem8
Rocks Off

One of my absolute all time faves but they have not done it well live of late.

Maybe I'm biased becasuse I was there but I think this is a fantastic performance, especially Jagger:

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 4, 2014 17:34

rocks off

Date: November 4, 2014 17:41

DandelionPowderman
SFM never became a warhorse.

SFM and RTJ should enter that section, imo.

It never became a warhorse ?? Take a look from 1969 to 1976.

That's not to mention that it was in there at the start of the 1978 tour as well (as the show closer) .

Also .... almost every night from Urban Jungle to the end of the V.L. tour.

Date: November 4, 2014 17:59

Anyway,back to this vote. They are all songs already performed in Melbourne multiple times in the recent past (except for Imagination which was played in 2 other parts of Australia) .

So,this would be my order of preference :

1) Imagination
2\3) Street Fighting Man or Rocks Off
4) Live With Me
5) Like a Rolling Stone .

A better list of 5 songs based on their past in Melbourne would be :

* Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo ( Heartbreaker )

* Shine a Light

* Emotional Rescue

* Factory Girl

* Silver Train .

All 5 of the above songs have been rehearsed but haven't been played in Melbourne .... or in Australia at all .... live in concert as far as I know.

Additionally,none of them are covers.

It took me a few minutes to very easily compile that list. Why don't they do it that way ??

Posted by: Yman56 ()
Date: November 4, 2014 19:13

In another land

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: November 4, 2014 19:39

black n blue
Their all boring now. Play Stray cat blues!

thumbs up

Here's the alternate Neverneverland gig song vote.

1. Let it loose
2. Child of the moon
3. Time waits for no one
4. Tie you up (the pain of love)
5. 100 years ago

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: November 5, 2014 01:59

Deathgod
bitusa2012
SFM at Hyde park remains one of my very favorite Stones live performances EVER. IT'S JUST BREATH TAKING
Fact !
It's an amazing version. Keef almost levitates

Do you blokes read what you write?
The Hyde Park 2013 Street Fighting Man is one of your best live performance EVER, breath taking & it’s an amazing version where Keith levitates blah blah blah
Those comments are bordering on homo erotica, just like many I read on IORR these days.
The 2012 – 2014 Stones these days aren’t capable of delivering best ever versions of any of their songs, commendable readings maybe but the best ever versions are decades gone.

The Hyde Park version or any version of Street Fighting Man played since 2013 might approach amazing if they’d let or allow Mick Taylor to play on it.
Especially when in Mojo Magazine Issue 70 September 1999 on Page 26 Mick Taylor says that Street Fighting man is his all time favourite Stones track even though he didn’t isn’t on it.
But the powers that be have so far denied him a guest role on his favourite stones song.
Sad that it has been played a number of times while the man has to watch from back stage, who knows it could be one of those times when people have spotted him playing air guitar
behind the amps.

At this late stage I am thinking of flying to Melbourne to see the show ( tickets in all areas available according to the woman I spoke to at the Rod Laver Box Office plus umpteen others on ebay, & gumtree)
& so who knows might get to see this song with or without Taylor!

BTW Mick states that his favourite all time album is Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band.
He’s not alone in that.

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: November 5, 2014 02:10

Hope it's SFM for you Victorian lot. They've played it like rock gods since Licks and it was a number I hoped they would slip in somewhere in Perth but the sets were great anyway.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: November 5, 2014 03:00

Eleanor Rigby
Deathgod
bitusa2012
SFM at Hyde park remains one of my very favorite Stones live performances EVER. IT'S JUST BREATH TAKING
Fact !

The Hyde Park 2013 Street Fighting Man is one of your best live performance EVER, breath taking & it’s an amazing version where Keith levitates blah blah blah
Those comments are bordering on homo erotica, just like many I read on IORR these days.
The 2012 – 2014 Stones these days aren’t capable of delivering best ever versions of any of their songs, commendable readings maybe but the best ever versions are decades gone.

The Hyde Park version or any version of Street Fighting Man played since 2013 might approach amazing if they’d let or allow Mick Taylor to play on it.
Especially when in Mojo Magazine Issue 70 September 1999 on Page 26 Mick Taylor says that Street Fighting man is his all time favourite Stones track even though he didn’t isn’t on it.
But the powers that be have so far denied him a guest role on his favourite stones song.
Sad that it has been played a number of times while the man has to watch from back stage, who knows it could be one of those times when people have spotted him playing air guitar
behind the amps.

At this late stage I am thinking of flying to Melbourne to see the show ( tickets in all areas available according to the woman I spoke to at the Rod Laver Box Office plus umpteen others on ebay, & gumtree)

BTW Mick states that his favourite all time album is Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band.
He’s not alone in that

Love the irony..........

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-05 03:04 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: November 5, 2014 05:08

I voted for SFM but would love JMI every bit as much.

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind...

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 5, 2014 05:11

Eleanor Rigby
Deathgod
bitusa2012
Fact !

behind the amps.

He’s not alone in that.

Yes, in fact I DO READ what I write. That's why I wrote it....I am glad to see YOU read it too ERigby.

As someone who has invested 50 of my 60 years IN the Stones and their music, and in all their iterations of players/producers (incl but not limited to Brian Jones, Mick Taylor, Ronnie Wood, Billie Preston, Ian Stewart, Jimmy Miller, ALO, Ollie Brown etc) I CAN and DO categorically STATE that SFM from HYDE PARK remains ONE of MY very favourite live Stones performances EVER....

Mick Taylor may or may not bring something to their 2014 version of this song, likely YES, but whatever, IT IS STILL breathtaking how that Hyde Park version rolls. I am glad Taylor thinks its his fave Stones track. It's a good'un.

Your comments on my comments bordering on homo erotica probably, no...DO, say more about YOU than me. Pure drivel.

Your comments on Jagger stating Sgt Peppers is HIS favourite album of all time? So? What has THAT to do with this topic? He's allowed a favourite record. AS am I, and you. MINE is not THAT record, but whatever....YOU mentioning this, tied with YOUR IORR name, may, MAY indicate some form of homo erotic love affair with Mick, justifying YOUR apparent like for the Beatles....brother in arms?

Trust you enjoy the Melbourne show - though I do wonder why you'd bother flying into Melbourne from....somewhere...to see a band you obviously think is past its prime? Safe travels if you decide to 'waste your money' on that.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: November 6, 2014 05:21

bitusa2012
Eleanor Rigby
Deathgod
bitusa2012
Fact !

behind the amps.

He’s not alone in that.

Yes, in fact I DO READ what I write. That's why I wrote it....I am glad to see YOU read it too ERigby.

As someone who has invested 50 of my 60 years IN the Stones and their music, and in all their iterations of players/producers (incl but not limited to Brian Jones, Mick Taylor, Ronnie Wood, Billie Preston, Ian Stewart, Jimmy Miller, ALO, Ollie Brown etc) I CAN and DO categorically STATE that SFM from HYDE PARK remains ONE of MY very favourite live Stones performances EVER....

Mick Taylor may or may not bring something to their 2014 version of this song, likely YES, but whatever, IT IS STILL breathtaking how that Hyde Park version rolls. I am glad Taylor thinks its his fave Stones track. It's a good'un.

Your comments on my comments bordering on homo erotica probably, no...DO, say more about YOU than me. Pure drivel.

Your comments on Jagger stating Sgt Peppers is HIS favourite album of all time? So? What has THAT to do with this topic? He's allowed a favourite record. AS am I, and you. MINE is not THAT record, but whatever....YOU mentioning this, tied with YOUR IORR name, may, MAY indicate some form of homo erotic love affair with Mick, justifying YOUR apparent like for the Beatles....brother in arms?

Trust you enjoy the Melbourne show - though I do wonder why you'd bother flying into Melbourne from....somewhere...to see a band you obviously think is past its prime? Safe travels if you decide to 'waste your money' on that.

haha...I still don't think you read very well !
If so, you would have worked out I was referring to Mick Taylor and not Mick Jagger stating his fav album was Sgt Pepper!
Nowhere in my post did I talk about Jagger...

Anyway, a decent show last night.
Just as I’d say ¾ of the audience will thinking the same thing, it’s just a night out, they certainly won’t be the ones rushing to the computer on their arrival home gushing best ever this, best ever that, you know the same old drivel.
By the weekend it will already be a distant memory for the majority of Melbourne concert goers except of course for die hard’s on this site.

Also, lucky I didn't have to fork out $578 per ticket!
Went with the mate I’m staying with to the Rod Laver Arena Box office to be greeted with unsold tickets for this so trumpeted sold out show.
Quite a few tickets were left!!
We went outside to discuss what seats we would fork out for, it turned out that a bloke had overheard us umming & erring and approached us with two tickets to sell.
They were for reserved seating in Section F, priced $578 each. He told us that he & his wife couldn’t attend so after a few minutes of battering we gave him $600 for both tickets.
We asked him to come into the box office to show the ticket staff his tickets to see if they were genuine, he did so, she said they were & the deal was done!

No doubt I was ripped off...judging by the amount of so-so "Stones" fans inside the venue...no doubt scoring cheap handout tickets..

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1716
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home