Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Lapping Tongue Original Concept/Idea
Posted by: belld ()
Date: September 14, 2014 11:00

Sunday Times today has an article disputing MJs account of inspiration for the Tongue Logo. They report claim by American artist Sid Maurer now 88 years old that he introduced Brian J to one of his paintings and that inspired the logo.
Will a clever person copy the article here please.
Also mentions new book - Sympathy for the Devil-The Birth of the Rolling Stones and the Death of Brian Jones.Author Paul Trynka.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-14 11:02 by belld.

Re: Lapping Tongue Original Concept/Idea
Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: September 14, 2014 12:07

belld
Sunday Times today has an article disputing MJs account of inspiration for the Tongue Logo. They report claim by American artist Sid Maurer now 88 years old that he introduced Brian J to one of his paintings and that inspired the logo.
Will a clever person copy the article here please.
Also mentions new book - Sympathy for the Devil-The Birth of the Rolling Stones and the Death of Brian Jones.Author Paul Trynka.

Never heard of Sid Maurer, but here's someone else (Ernie Cefalu) making a similar sort of claim!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: rumple21 ()
Date: September 14, 2014 12:29

Fascinating story behind the tongue art - So it was Ernie Cefalu who designed the 'pin-tongue' and he claims that predated the joe pasche original 'Sticky Fingers' version. The SF version was soon modified by an unknown artist. True of untrue?

[www.thesundaytimes.co.uk]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-14 12:37 by rumple21.

Date: September 14, 2014 13:49

rumple21
Fascinating story behind the tongue art - So it was Ernie Cefalu who designed the 'pin-tongue' and he claims that predated the joe pasche original 'Sticky Fingers' version. The SF version was soon modified by an unknown artist. True of untrue?

[www.thesundaytimes.co.uk]

Sadly, for me at least, we only see the start of the article. The rest is behind Rupert's paywall.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Scooby ()
Date: September 14, 2014 14:37

Here's the article in full:

THE image of a panting tongue hanging from between ruby lips has become synonymous with the Rolling Stones, but doubt has now been cast on the inspiration for the iconic logo.

Traditionally Mick Jagger has been credited with creating the image with John Pasche, then a student at the Royal College of Art, after the singer spotted an image of an Indian goddess with her tongue hanging out.

But Sid Maurer, an American artist, has claimed a strikingly similar image that he created three years earlier was seen by his friend Brian Jones, the band’s founding member, and it formed the basis for the logo.

Maurer, 88, last week said that a “thank you” from the surviving members of the Rolling Stones for his original design would be “nice”.

The dispute has emerged as a result of a forthcoming book, entitled Sympathy for the Devil: The Birth of the Rolling Stones and the Death of Brian Jones, which examines the conflict and sexual rivalry within the group.

Paul Trynka, its author, believes the disagreement represents an example of how Jones’s influence has been played down, which he attributes to “resentment and a kind of post-mortem jealousy”.

Sid Maurer’s painting is said to have inspired the Stones’ imageSid Maurer’s painting is said to have inspired the Stones’ image

According to Maurer, Jones was fascinated when in 1967 he was shown a sketch of enlarged lips and a tongue that the artist had superimposed on a photograph of his baby. Maurer, who also worked for the pop star Donovan and the artist Andy Warhol, gave the photograph to Jones and a year later sold a separate painting of just the tongue and lips to him for about $1,500.

Marilyn Goldberg, Maurer’s manager, said she believed Jones showed the works to Jagger before he worked with Pasche in 1970. “It was really Brian who hired Sid [and] paid him for the painting. Neither ever got the credit for the logo [that] went on to make billions,” she said.

Jones was found dead in his swimming pool in 1969, shortly after leaving the band. The 27-year-old had apparently drowned while under the influence of drink and drugs. The whereabouts of Maurer’s painting are unknown.

The Rolling Stones’ iconic lips imageThe Rolling Stones’ iconic lips image

Pasche, whose original artwork was bought by the Victoria and Albert Museum for $92,500 in 2008, insisted that Jagger had drawn inspiration for the logo from the image of Kali and had been unaware of Maurer or his claims. Pasche said: “[Jagger] suggested he wanted something that didn’t actually have the band’s name, a symbol. The idea came pretty quickly really. He showed me a picture of the Indian goddess Kali with the tip of her tongue sticking out. The tongue gave me an idea of when children stick their tongues out.”

He added: “Just before the meeting, [Jagger] was in his local newsagent — I think it was owned by an Indian family — and they had it [the Kali image] on the wall. He said, ‘Can I borrow that?’ That’s how it came about.”

Pasche was paid £50 for his work although he received a further £200 in 1972 after the image drew acclaim when it featured on the inside sleeve of the band’s Sticky Fingers album in 1971.

A spokesman for Jagger declined to comment.

Date: September 14, 2014 15:21

Scooby
Here's the article in full:

(Cut to save electrons)

Thank You.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 14, 2014 22:45

I am still mad that they stole my entire exile on main street concept

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 15, 2014 00:00

Marshall Chess said in According to the Rolling Stones that he saw the image below at a petrol station and it inspired the idea for a "nonverbal" Stones logo. He told the Stones and they/Mick/Brian/Lady Jane/Theodora ran with it.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 15, 2014 00:03

Title5Take1

I wish everyone would quit borrowing my credit card.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 15, 2014 00:09

... and Shell borrowed it from Botticelli .......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 15, 2014 03:31

Here's one aspect of it that I've seen elsewhere that coincides with what Jagger has stated over the years:

The big red mouth Rolling Stones logo, also known as the “Tongue and Lip Design”, dates back to 1970, and was created by the British graphic designer John Pasche.

...The tongue is basically an indication to the Hindu goddess Kali, goddess of everlasting energy...

[www.famouslogos.org]

Date: September 15, 2014 03:33

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 15, 2014 08:33

<<The whereabouts of Maurer’s painting are unknown.>>

Given that the painting had considerable value, and would be worth a small fortune today, and that it has not shown up, one would have to assume that it had no whereabouts and that it was among the items consigned to Tom Keylock's backyard bonfire of 3 July.

Posted by: j.b.goode ()
Date: September 15, 2014 11:41

yep, success has many fathers......

.......in the words of designer john pasche

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: September 15, 2014 14:29

I doubt a 'thank you' is forthcoming.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 15, 2014 15:23

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 15, 2014 17:16

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: September 15, 2014 23:44

LMAO AHHHH Rockman I am using that!

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: September 16, 2014 15:57

...Couple of stinkers in there:

... But Sid Maurer, an American artist, has claimed a strikingly similar image that he created three years earlier was seen by his friend Brian Jones,

Ah? So he didn't show anybody the image (or an image from that image...) now, did he?
Plus: an alleged image from (around) 1967 is the base for a claim NOW, in 2014!?
Must have a reason...

The dispute has emerged as a result of a forthcoming book,

...You see? THERE it is!!

Marilyn Goldberg, Maurer’s manager, ...

...whó??...

... said she believed Jones showed the works to Jagger before he worked with Pasche in 1970.

...oh, right... she believed.

The whereabouts of Maurer’s painting are unknown.

...Supposing there actually IS (or ever WAS) such a painting:
not much of a case eitherway, then.

Posted by: originalstones ()
Date: September 18, 2014 04:22

Even if Brian did purchase this art work with the tongue logo on it, there is no proof that he Mick ever saw it.

From what I understand the author of the new book is claiming Keith actually learned the Open-G tuning from Brian as well. All these years Keith has been telling people he learned it from Ry Cooder or Gram Parsons (I can't remember offhand) is just the band playing down Brian's role and influence in the band.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 18, 2014 05:23

I've read the Sunday Times article, and I still don't know why the picture posted there (allegedly being Sid Maurer as a baby, where the artwork was done) is a photograph of Andy Griffith as a baby. confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-18 05:34 by Cristiano Radtke.

Date: September 18, 2014 17:29

What a load.

Obviously - CLEARLY - the reason for the logo was the record label, the independence from Decca...

What a toss!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2056
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home