Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Exile On Main St. New Musical Express 29.4.72 flexi-disc
Posted by: stonesman87 ()
Date: September 15, 2014 08:49

I believe this interesting promo disc is fairly well-known. It's shown at [www.45cat.com]. Does anybody know how it was originally packaged? For example, was it loosely inserted in a paper or plastic sleeve, maybe bound into the magazine at one end of a sleeve, stuck on the front of the magazine like we see these days, or anything else?

The reason I'm asking is that I recently (at last) won one on eBay, nice and cheap, and, if I can, I'm interested in replicating any original packaging it came in.

Re: Exile On Main St. New Musical Express 29.4.72 flexi-disc
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: September 15, 2014 09:32

It was inside a clear plastic bag attached to the front cover.
This picture doesn't have the bag.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-15 09:35 by Deltics.

Date: September 15, 2014 09:53

Thanks for the really quick and detailed information, exactly the sort of thing I wanted to find out and keep with my copy of the disc. I found a high-res image of the front page (with the disc out of the way so we can see what the whole front page looked like) at [geirmykl.files.wordpress.com] I guess some other fans might be interested in this as well.

So ..... does the second picture show the disc in the actual original bag? And do you happen to know how the bag was attached to the front cover? I imagine that 42 years ago, it was probably simply attached with sticky tape (cellophane tape) at the top of the bag and stuck at the lower right-hand corner in line with the circular-pattern "next week" promo.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: September 15, 2014 09:58

This was the cheapo hi-tech instant downloading system we had in those days. How can they include a free record? Records are expensive to make? Me and my friends briefly talked about.

It was innovative and cool for for 1972. Of course the secret is that stamping out thin plastic records is very cheap/ They will wear out quickly and I assume are lo-fidelity compared to the record you pay for

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-15 10:02 by triceratops.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 15, 2014 10:04

NME did start giving away vinyl singles in the 90s. I remember I got a Paul Weller single remixed by Portishead.

Date: September 15, 2014 10:11

And here I've probably answered my own question. Closer examination of the image at [geirmykl.files.wordpress.com] shows some print "disturbed" just to the right of "Bolan" where taping was probably peeled away, so it looks like it was taped at the centre of the back of the plastic bag (which I didn't expect) and stuck at the lower right-hand corner area (which I did expect). If anybody knows anything different, go ahead and mention in this post.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: September 15, 2014 10:34

stonesman87
And here I've probably answered my own question. Closer examination of the image at [geirmykl.files.wordpress.com] shows some print "disturbed" just to the right of "Bolan" where taping was probably peeled away, so it looks like it was taped at the centre of the back of the plastic bag (which I didn't expect) and stuck at the lower right-hand corner area (which I did expect). If anybody knows anything different, go ahead and mention in this post.

Love your thoroughness and eye for details!

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: September 15, 2014 13:20

Silver Dagger
NME did start giving away vinyl singles in the 90s. I remember I got a Paul Weller single remixed by Portishead.

There's a list of NME giveaways here:
[www.45cat.com]

Although it does miss out this one and this one!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: September 15, 2014 13:41

RobberBride
stonesman87

Love your thoroughness and eye for details!

Heh, heh, thanks!

Date: September 15, 2014 13:45

Deltics
Silver Dagger

There's a list of NME giveaways here:
[www.45cat.com]

Although it does miss out this one and this one!

Wow, so the Stones one was the first NME one. BTW, can you tell me what shape or size the plastic bag was?

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: September 15, 2014 18:10

Not sure if this made the rounds yet, but Exile On Main St Blues actually got covered this year by CHuck E Weiss. (produced by Johnny Depp & Tom Waits)

Date: September 16, 2014 04:40

I know it's a long shot, but I'll have one more go. Does anybody know what shape or size the plastic bag was that the flexi disc came in? Finding out about would complete the information I wanted to find about this. Other collectors might be interested as well.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 16, 2014 05:40

stonesman87
I know it's a long shot, but I'll have one more go. Does anybody know what shape or size the plastic bag was that the flexi disc came in? Finding out about would complete the information I wanted to find about this. Other collectors might be interested as well.

I don't want to possibly state the obvious but didn't Deltics post a pic with it in a bag? Is that not the bag?

I grabbed 3 of these through the years BTW, but no mag and no bag.

Date: September 16, 2014 09:29

treaclefingers
stonesman87

I don't want to possibly state the obvious but didn't Deltics post a pic with it in a bag? Is that not the bag?

I grabbed 3 of these through the years BTW, but no mag and no bag.

In fact, it's not as obvious as we might have thought, or hoped for. The image that Deltics posted showing the disc in a plastic bag comes from [www.ebay.com], but comments in the listing don't state whether or not that's an actual bag it was originally packaged in. In an earlier post in this thread, I asked Deltics about this, but, perhaps understandably, he hasn't commented further. I found just 3 images of the disc in or with a plastic bag, but with no associated comment about the bag's originality. The second one is at [www.ebay.com] which, interestingly, shows what looks like a square bag as in the first listing that Deltics linked his picture to. The third image I found is at [www.popsike.com], but again no comment about the bag, again a square one.

It looks probable that the original bag was square, but, overall, I still haven't found any definite statement or claim about the original bag. So, if anybody knows anything about the original bag, feel free to post a comment.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-16 09:47 by stonesman87.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 17, 2014 00:55

Still regret that I didn't buy the Muziek Express back then ......but I didn't know what song was on it..........

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: September 18, 2014 18:31

Rolling Stones Exile On Main Street Flexi Disc NME

[www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 897
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home