Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...116117118119120121122123124125126Next
Current Page: 122 of 126
Re: OT: Bob Dylan news and more
Posted by: 2120Joe ()
Date: October 25, 2023 15:26

I saw a Dylan show about two weeks ago, Sun Oct 8, in Chicago. He and the band sounded as good as ever. Very talented group. I’m sure if you are a Dylan fan you would have loved the show. I love some Dylan songs but he did not play any that I knew and those songs I do know such as Multitudes was played in an unrecognizable way. The venue stopped selling beer a half hour after the show started. About an hour after the show started I had enjoyed enough and decided I’d rather be at a pub down the street.

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: October 25, 2023 17:42

2120Joe
I saw a Dylan show about two weeks ago, Sun Oct 8, in Chicago. He and the band sounded as good as ever. Very talented group. I’m sure if you are a Dylan fan you would have loved the show. I love some Dylan songs but he did not play any that I knew and those songs I do know such as Multitudes was played in an unrecognizable way. The venue stopped selling beer a half hour after the show started. About an hour after the show started I had enjoyed enough and decided I’d rather be at a pub down the street.

When a beer becomes more important than witness history....sad

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: October 25, 2023 18:56

Loving the Dylan/Cash alternative take of “Wanted man” from Bootleg series

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: October 25, 2023 19:30

2120Joe

Different strokes for different folks. I like the new songs, don’t mind not hearing the familiar “hits”, and enjoy the ever changing alterations or complete makeovers of his studio work.

[www.newyorkupstate.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-26 23:27 by JimmyTheSaint.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 27, 2023 00:31

Just found this inspired live version of I Want You from 81"
[youtu.be]

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 27, 2023 00:40

Lyrics of this feel more poignant now than ever. Great vocal from Dylan here.
[youtu.be]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 30, 2023 13:45

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: October 30, 2023 18:46

Not surprised that he covered LC in MTL, but am surprised that he passed on two opportunities to cover a Gordon Lightfoot song at the house that Gord built - Massey Hall.

Posted by: rolling1us ()
Date: November 4, 2023 17:19

Just received my copy of this wonderfull book about Dylan. Look truly fantastic.

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: November 4, 2023 17:32

What an amazing autumn, Dylan on tour, Stones and Beatles releasing new

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: November 4, 2023 18:29

MadMax
What an amazing autumn, Dylan on tour, Stones and Beatles releasing new

Exactly right. How lucky we are!

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: November 5, 2023 23:45

Just snagged a 3rd row Pit for Bob’s show this coming Friday in Providence. Will report back.

Posted by: TheBluesHadaBaby ()
Date: November 7, 2023 23:48

TheBluesHadaBaby
mikey C
...Looks like Bob will be playing songs that are related to the cities he plays. Nice. Peace. M

I am liking this twist. A lot.

Where do I submit my recommendations (as if Bob listens to recommendations winking smiley) for the November 27 Richmond concert?

My initial ideas for show openers and closers include:

* "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down." In tribute to writer, leader of The Band, and his friend Robbie Robertson, who died Aug 9, 2023. I believe you don't have to be wistful for the Confederacy (I've long been just fatigued by its apologists and am glad the monuments are finally gone) to appreciate the power and beauty of this song. But maybe the song itself has become verboten, too, IDK.

* "Oregon Hill" by the Cowboy Junkies. About an old, working class neighborhood in Richmond. I heard them perform it here in 1996.

* "John Henry," traditional. The black prisoner assigned to a work gang who the legend and song were based on most likely was a Richmond Penitentiary prisoner named John Henry who laid C&O railroad rails westward through the Lewis Tunnel in 1870-73.
[balladofjohnhenry.com]
This history is little known, however.

* "Rich Men North of Richmond." Don't know if Bob is open to this unexpected, unprecedented phenomenon, its writer now having been bashed from both political extremes. I'm guessing it's a "No," though.

* "Richmond" by Joe Bonamassa
[m.youtube.com]

Or, looking to the state more broadly:

* "Sweet Virginia" by some English band

* "Dear Doctor." Ditto.
There will be no wedding today.

* "Who'll Stop the Rain?" by John Fogerty. I went down Virginia, seeking shelter from the storm

(Do I really want to hear this one? No. But Bob does love his Sinatra covers, so: )
* "I Went Down to Virginia", from Frank Sinatra, The Complete Recordings: The Columbia Years 1943-1952
[m.youtube.com]

My original hometown is Norfolk, so I personally wouldn't mind Dylan doing:
* "The Promised Land" by Chuck Berry.
I left my home in Norfolk, Virginia, California on my mind.* Shades of John Henry and Ledbelly, a dream of freedom written while Chuck was in prison.
(* Elvis loved The Promised Land, named a whole album for his cover of it. But sang those lines actually in Norfolk, Virginia only one day, ever, July 20, 1975, in Norfolk Scope. I was there, just twenty, and oddly enough not even an Elvis fan yet. Only the 1976(?) releaase of 1954-55 Elvis, The Sun Sessions, changed my mind. And why did I buy The Sun Sessions? Because I read Bob Dylan in Rolling Stone say that's what he was listening to. If Dylan was, okay, I'd give "Earliest Elvis" a try. I'm glad I did.)

As for Dylan's coming Roanoke, Virginia concert, maybe:

* "The Wreck of the Old 97"

* something Carter Family

Looks like Dylan dropped the whole city-of-the-concert theme for opening and closing songs for this U.S. leg? Bummer. He plays here in 3 weeks and more song ideas come to me.

* Link Wray is topical this past week. Awesome to see Jimmy Page's tribute to him. Wray started out in smalltown NC, moved his base of operations to Portsmouth VA, then as he got more successful moved to Washington DC. It was while playing a dance in Fredericksburg VA not far north of Richmond where he invented... more like, accidentally discovered... the power chord, and changed rock n roll. It was from a speaker/amp acting up... but the kids liked the sound! After the dance he had trouble recreating the sound, and eventually busted a speaker to get it. Bob playing "Rumble" in Richmond would be cool.

* "East Virginia Blues." Dylan played it in 1969 with Earl Scruggs. Which I didn't even know until yesterday when I bought the Bootleg Series Vol. 15, and I only just now heard it.

* "Carry Me Back to Ol Virginny." Jerry Lee Lewis rave-up style! Since Bob's on piano this leg.

* "Quarter To Three", Gary U.S. Bond's classic rocker that Springsteen adopted as a 2nd or 3rd encore go-to for decades. (Mid 1970s as a 20 yr old Norfolk rookie cop I walked the city's black business foot beat, and it included the corner where Bonds' early 1960s studio had been. (There was actually something called "The Norfolk Sound".))

* "Be-Bop-a-Lula" or something else by Norfolk native, resident, and sailor Gene Vincent. Vincent's terrible motorcycle accident that laid him up for a long time (a little Vincent-Dylan parallel there) was in Norfolk.

I understand it could be a problem to come up with locally-connected great songs for some cities on this leg, but for probably most cities in the Southern U.S., or states at least, it's not very hard to do.

I'm down in Virginia
with your Cousin Lou

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 8, 2023 20:40

TheBluesHadaBaby

* "East Virginia Blues." Dylan played it in 1969 with Earl Scruggs. Which I didn't even know until yesterday when I bought the Bootleg Series Vol. 15, and I only just now heard it.

1971. Its from an Earl Scruggs PBS TV special. Great version, too

video: [www.youtube.com]

better quality here : [www.reddit.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-08 20:43 by Gazza.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: November 11, 2023 18:06

Just back from an evening in Providence RI with the guy with the voice ‘like sand and glue.’ Very solid performance by Bob and his excellent 5 piece band. I was in the 3rd row and the only small bummer was Bob was behind a grand piano the entire show, so we all spent a lot of time looking at the top of his head (could see the band just fine, and Bob when we would stand every so often). And of course that didn’t stop one entitled jerk in the 2nd row from standing (luckily he didn’t effect me), DEspite pleas for him to ‘STFDown’. Some people.
1/2 the set was from his latest, Rough and Rowdy Ways. Also a bit of a drag was no phones (you had to place them in this pouch they unlock after). So no pics. Oh well- still glad I went. PPAC is a lovely theatre. And if we’ve learned one thing it’s that these legends will not be around for ever.

Date: November 11, 2023 22:58

Gazza
TheBluesHadaBaby

Nice, thanks.

On further consideration I'd move this one from "good for the Richmond show" to better suited for his upcoming Roanoke show. Virginia's mountain hollers are west of Richmond.

Again, a shame he ditched this whole idea he began this leg with, after only 2 or 3 cities.

DEmerson
Just back from an evening in Providence RI with the guy with the voice ‘like sand and glue.’ Very solid performance by Bob and his excellent 5 piece band. I was in the 3rd row and the only small bummer was Bob was behind a grand piano the entire show, so we all spent a lot of time looking at the top of his head (could see the band just fine, and Bob when we would stand every so often). And of course that didn’t stop one entitled jerk in the 2nd row from standing (luckily he didn’t effect me), DEspite pleas for him to ‘STFDown’. Some people.
1/2 the set was from his latest, Rough and Rowdy Ways. Also a bit of a drag was no phones (you had to place them in this pouch they unlock after). So no pics. Oh well- still glad I went. PPAC is a lovely theatre. And if we’ve learned one thing it’s that these legends will not be around for ever.

Any guesses how your 11th row folks fared as far as Bob's visibility? Nov. 27th I'll be 11th row, right of center.

I'm down in Virginia
with your Cousin Lou

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: November 11, 2023 23:38

TheBluesHadaBaby
Gazza
TheBluesHadaBaby

Nice, thanks.

On further consideration I'd move this one from "good for the Richmond show" to better suited for his upcoming Roanoke show. Virginia's mountain hollers are west of Richmond.

Again, a shame he ditched this whole idea he began this leg with, after only 2 or 3 cities.

DEmerson

Any guesses how your 11th row folks fared as far as Bob's visibility? Nov. 27th I'll be 11th row, right of center.

don't worry. Nowadays the view from the front row is not as good as the view form a few rows away from stage. Due the the view angle you see less from the very front rows when he sits behind his piano than for a few meters distance

Posted by: mick64 ()
Date: November 13, 2023 11:27

Do you know why only box budokan 8 vinyls are released only in Japan

Date: November 16, 2023 00:53

"Goodbye, Jimmy Reed" is the consensus most fun song on Bob Dylan's 2020 Rough & Rowdy Ways, in that it rocks & rolls the most.

[m.youtube.com]

Live:
[m.youtube.com]

He plays it (nearly or?) every show this tour, lately as the next-to-last song, #16 or #17.

In 1958 wife and husband Mary Lee Reed and Jimmy wrote, and Jimmy recorded for Vee-Jay Records, "Down In Virginia," blues that's light on lyrics (below), heavy on instruments, in which Jimmy goes from guitar to some cool harp.

[m.youtube.com]

I went down in Virginia, honey, where the green grass grows
I tried to tell myself, you didn't want me no more

I told my baby, "Honey, stop doin' me wrong!
Why don't you pack your clothes, and bring your fine self home?"

Shut up, girl, you know you doing me wrong
You know I'm so tired, baby, tired of being alone

Shut up, girl, you know you doin' me wrong!
Why don't you pack your things, and bring your fine self home?

I went down in Virginia, honey, where the green grass grows

In 1969 he also released an album "Down in Virginia."

Dylan's "Goodbye, Jimmy Reed" closes name-checking this song:

...God be with you, brother dear

If you don't mind me asking, "What brings you here?"

"Oh, nothing much, I'm just looking for the man
Need to see where he's lying in this lost land"

Goodbye, Jimmy Reed, and everything within ya
Can't you hear me calling from down in Virginia?

A great way for Dylan to play the upcoming Richmond and Roanoke shows -- it won't happen but I can wish -- IMHO would be to cover "Down in Virginia" as either the opening song or the next-to-last song (a good chance for Bob to play harp), and then close the show with his "Goodbye, Jimmy Reed."

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: November 26, 2023 05:08

Mr. Tambourine Man from the Budokan, February 20, 1978 — Bob Dylan’s Japanese debut.

The footage was unearthed in 2007 as well as the multitrack recording tapes of February 28 and March 1 that were used for the recently released Complete Budokan 4CD/8LP box sets.
It was shot in 16mm film for the news broadcasting back in the day, and in quite a deteriorated condition when located after almost 30 years, but was restored as much as it could be using modern technology, and broadcasted for the first time in its entirety on Best Hit USA, the Japanese TV program on November 24 this year. Enjoy the historic moment!

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-26 12:03 by RisingStone.

Posted by: cyclist ()
Date: November 26, 2023 05:26

TheBluesHadaBaby

You'll be perfectly fine. Saw him in Chicago, Brooklyn, Manhattan this tour. It's a problem if you're in the first few rows and Bob and the audience are seated.

Date: December 15, 2023 17:04

Anyone?

Date: December 15, 2023 18:35

Sony just released this year's copyright protection/50th anniversary collection Dylan CD

[www.discogs.com]

there were only a handful of copies available at a handful of handpicked stores in a few European countries – same procedure as every year

Date: December 16, 2023 19:22

slewan
Sony just released this year's copyright protection/50th anniversary collection Dylan CD

[www.discogs.com]

there were only a handful of copies available at a handful of handpicked stores in a few European countries – same procedure as every year

I'm listening to this set now. I can understand why it was released in such a small quantity.

Date: December 16, 2023 19:58

Cristiano Radtke
slewan

[www.discogs.com]

I'm listening to this set now. I can understand why it was released in such a small quantity.

of course. The only reason is that they want to protect the copyright, i.e. prevent other people from making money with that stuff.

Date: December 16, 2023 21:17

slewan
Cristiano Radtke
slewan

[www.discogs.com]

of course. The only reason is that they want to protect the copyright, i.e. prevent other people from making money with that stuff.

Yup. This one is interesting, but there were other similar releases from Bob's Copyright Collection that I like better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-16 21:33 by Cristiano Radtke.

Date: December 16, 2023 22:17

Cristiano Radtke
slewan
Cristiano Radtke
slewan

[www.discogs.com]

Yup. This one is interesting, but there were other similar releases from Bob's Copyright Collection that I like better.

well, what did you expect? In 1973 he faced difficulties coming up with more than two and maybe half song for the soundtrack. So what could have been left from those sessions?

Date: December 17, 2023 04:10

"Blessed are they who expect nothing for they shall not be disappointed."

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 17, 2023 04:18

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Zotz ()
Date: January 1, 2024 22:11

Tony Marisco of The Plugz band talks backing Bob Dylan.

video: [www.flaggingdown.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...116117118119120121122123124125126Next
Current Page: 122 of 126

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2343
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home