Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...116117118119120121122123124125126Next
Current Page: 121 of 126
Re: OT: Bob Dylan news and more
Posted by: slewan ()
Date: July 12, 2023 16:51

MadMetaphoricalMax
There were a few reports of poor sound at Rome on Expecting Rain, but especially compared to this site, which accommodates plenty of sharply conflicting opinions, ER is a bit hagiographic over there, and barely a whisper of criticism is permitted on the boards without being drowned out by cheerleaders, for whom anything Dylan does is genius. It still sounds like a fabulous tour, though I wish he'd drop those B-list old songs for something new and better. Still, I was so glad to see the R&RW show at the Palladium last October.

well, I wrote a negative review of the Rome show for ER and they didn't hang me. And there are quite a few conflicting opinions – I think there are even more than on IORR

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 12, 2023 02:25

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: August 17, 2023 10:42

Cristiano Radtke

Thanks for this man, never seen it before, its like everyday i discover another peice of magic from Dylan, his body of work stretches so far its mind blowing, hate to admit it but i hardly play the Stones these days, just obsessed with Dylan.

When i first got into Dylan youtube didn't exist and there didn't seem to be much live footage out there, now it's an avalanche, he makes me so high.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-17 10:45 by keefriffhards.

Date: August 21, 2023 17:24

new tour dates have just being announced – US fall tour => [www.bobdylan.com]
most likely there are more date to be announced soon

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 21, 2023 20:31

slewan
new tour dates have just being announced – US fall tour => [www.bobdylan.com]
most likely there are more date to be announced soon

Amazing...thumbs up

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: August 21, 2023 21:13

yeah very cool. I noticed beacon theatre nyc.has no bookings listed for thanksgivng week yet. hmmm.

Date: August 21, 2023 21:18

mrjones
yeah very cool. I noticed beacon theatre nyc.has no bookings listed for thanksgivng week yet. hmmm.

a couple of Beacon shows are rumored since… I don't know when and the rumors are most likely true

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 23, 2023 15:02

Pretty good sounding soundboard recently 'discovered'. I was actually at this show, forgot how good Dylan sounded back then!

Dylan/Petty True Confessions Tour - KC

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 29, 2023 19:53

EXCLUSIVE

Bob Dylan Gave Post Malone Some Lyrics to Record. Then Things Got Weird

A collaboration between the legendary songwriter and the streaming-era pop star seemed like it was coming together. So how did it fizzle out?

By Christian Hoard
August 29, 2023

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: September 7, 2023 16:26

The Complete Budokan 1978 box set (4 CDs and 8 LPs) and its spinoff album, Another Budokan 1978 (2 LPs), are set to be released in Japan on November 15 and worldwide on November 17.

[japan.postsen.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.110107.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-07 16:28 by RisingStone.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: September 7, 2023 18:12

RisingStone
The Complete Budokan 1978 box set (4 CDs and 8 LPs) and its spinoff album, Another Budokan 1978 (2 LPs), are set to be released in Japan on November 15 and worldwide on November 17.

[japan.postsen.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.110107.com]

Voodoo will be happy about this one. He’s a Budokan fan, I think.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: September 8, 2023 08:16

Now I don't remember which day I went to the show at the Budokan in 1978.
One thing I can remember is meeting a now-deceased professional wrestler in the bathroom and having him sign my program!
He said to me, "Why don't you get it from Dylan?"smiling smiley

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: September 8, 2023 15:36

^so cool!!

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: September 9, 2023 05:49

The general consensus of Bob Dylan’s Japan tour 1978 among the fans and critics alike is that it doesn’t fare well as compared to the European and American tours later in the year. Some of the criticisms are justified, but overall, it has been way more degraded than what it deserves IMHO. And the original Budokan album has been targeted as the record of his ‘Vegas era’ for umpteen years since its release.

Over the years, however, it feels like there has been reassessment of the tour and the live album. On the recently started “Budokan 1978…” thread on the forum of the Expecting Rain website, a number of the posters support them, on the basis of better voice and singing than on the Europe/US legs being one of the merits, among others. One poster even goes as far as stating, “…I definitely don't subscribe to the received wisdom that the earlier shows in Japan/Australia were inherently weaker than the shows from later in the year. It's all good in its way, IMO.”

[expectingrain.com]

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: October 2, 2023 04:32

The dishes are piling up at the Dylan Household.....Time to hit the road.... Kansas City, Missouri.....,... Looking forward to seeing what's on the menu tonight!. Peace.M

Date: October 2, 2023 22:48

Dylan yesterday in Kansas City performing Kansas City as an opener
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: October 5, 2023 13:39

Bob opens the Concert in St.Louis With Chuck Berry's "Johnny b Goode" and ends the set with Chuck's "Nadine"I have never known Bob to do this....Nice the Ace's are still being thrown.Looks like Bob will be playing songs that are related to the cities he plays.Nice.Peace.M

Date: October 5, 2023 16:36

slewan
Dylan yesterday in Kansas City performing Kansas City as an opener
[www.youtube.com]

He opened with that when I saw him back in the 80's on the tour he did with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers too, I think he said it was the first time they ever played it.

Date: October 5, 2023 16:37

mikey C
Bob opens the Concert in St.Louis With Chuck Berry's "Johnny b Goode" and ends the set with Chuck's "Nadine"I have never known Bob to do this....Nice the Ace's are still being thrown.Looks like Bob will be playing songs that are related to the cities he plays.Nice.Peace.M

I almost picked up a last minute ticket to go to that but I still can't get over him not playing any guitar...sounds like I missed a good one.

Date: October 5, 2023 17:23

kovach
mikey C

I almost picked up a last minute ticket to go to that but I still can't get over him not playing any guitar...sounds like I missed a good one.

actually his piano playing is much better than his guitar playing used to be

Date: October 7, 2023 18:31

Last night in Chicago, Bob opened with Born in Chicago and closed with Forty Days and Forty Nights.

Posted by: TheBluesHadaBaby ()
Date: October 8, 2023 04:56

mikey C
...Looks like Bob will be playing songs that are related to the cities he plays. Nice. Peace. M

I am liking this twist. A lot.

Where do I submit my recommendations (as if Bob listens to recommendations winking smiley) for the November 27 Richmond concert?

My initial ideas for show openers and closers include:

* "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down." In tribute to writer, leader of The Band, and his friend Robbie Robertson, who died Aug 9, 2023. I believe you don't have to be wistful for the Confederacy (I've long been just fatigued by its apologists and am glad the monuments are finally gone) to appreciate the power and beauty of this song. But maybe the song itself has become verboten, too, IDK.

* "Oregon Hill" by the Cowboy Junkies. About an old, working class neighborhood in Richmond. I heard them perform it here in 1996.

* "John Henry," traditional. The black prisoner assigned to a work gang who the legend and song were based on most likely was a Richmond Penitentiary prisoner named John Henry who laid C&O railroad rails westward through the Lewis Tunnel in 1870-73.
[balladofjohnhenry.com]
This history is little known, however.

* "Rich Men North of Richmond." Don't know if Bob is open to this unexpected, unprecedented phenomenon, its writer now having been bashed from both political extremes. I'm guessing it's a "No," though.

* "Richmond" by Joe Bonamassa
[m.youtube.com]

Or, looking to the state more broadly:

* "Sweet Virginia" by some English band

* "Dear Doctor." Ditto.
There will be no wedding today.

* "Who'll Stop the Rain?" by John Fogerty. I went down Virginia, seeking shelter from the storm

(Do I really want to hear this one? No. But Bob does love his Sinatra covers, so: )
* "I Went Down to Virginia", from Frank Sinatra, The Complete Recordings: The Columbia Years 1943-1952
[m.youtube.com]

My original hometown is Norfolk, so I personally wouldn't mind Dylan doing:
* "The Promise Land" by Chuck Berry.
I left my home in Norfolk, Virginia, California on my mind.* Shades of John Henry and Ledbelly, a dream of freedom written while Chuck was in prison.
(* Elvis loved The Promised Land, named a whole album for his cover of it. But sang those lines actually in Norfolk, Virginia only one day, ever, July 20, 1975, in Norfolk Scope. I was there, just twenty, and oddly enough not even an Elvis fan yet. Only the 1976(?) releaase of 1954-55 Elvis, The Sun Sessions, changed my mind. And why did I buy The Sun Sessions? Because I read Bob Dylan in Rolling Stone say that's what he was listening to. If Dylan was, okay, I'd give "Earliest Elvis" a try. I'm glad I did.)

As for Dylan's coming Roanoke, Virginia concert, maybe:

* The Wreck of the Old 97

* something Carter Family

I'm down in Virginia
with your Cousin Lou

Date: October 8, 2023 05:16

mikey C

Date: October 8, 2023 09:38

last night (second Chicago show) he played 'Killing Floor' as a closing song

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 8, 2023 10:26

"Rich Men North of Richmond." Don't know if Bob is open to this
unexpected, unprecedented phenomenon, its writer now having been bashed
from both political extremes. I'm guessing it's a "No," though.

Yeah be savage to hear Mr Zimm put
some eeeeelectricity underneath this one ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 8, 2023 13:32

Rockman
"Rich Men North of Richmond." Don't know if Bob is open to this
unexpected, unprecedented phenomenon, its writer now having been bashed
from both political extremes. I'm guessing it's a "No," though.

Yeah be savage to hear Mr Zimm put
some eeeeelectricity underneath this one ....

I didn't know anything of this phenomenon until this thread. Interesting things happen.

- Doxa

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 8, 2023 13:52

Here ya go Doxa .....

[iorr.org]

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 8, 2023 16:14

Rockman
Here ya go Doxa .....

[iorr.org]

Alright! I usually keep my eyes on that particular thread, but somehow I missed that one...

- Doxa

Date: October 20, 2023 10:24

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: October 25, 2023 14:12

Was at the show in Rochester, NY last night. Fantastic stuff. Nine of the eighteen songs played were from Rough & Rowdy Ways (there are 10 tracks on the LP) and they were all played wonderfully, in particular "My Own Version of You", "False Prophet" and "Key West". He also performed "Stella Blue", and a handful of album tracks from his canon.

Cellphones were banned from the venue, which was fine with me. Upon entry they each patron was given a pouch that their phone went in and was subsequently locked. It was refreshing for this old-timer to look around a concert hall and not see people watching the show through their phones and/or paying more attention to their devices than the performance.

Bob was in fine form, sitting and occasionally standing at a piano and rasping away with his voice of "sand & glue" (more sand than glue these days). At the end of the night he rose from his seat and rather unsteadily made his way to the front of the stage, grasping a mic stand for balance. It was the only time all evening that he showed his 82 years.

What a troubadour. What a legend.

Love that man.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...116117118119120121122123124125126Next
Current Page: 121 of 126

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2403
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home