Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Bill German
Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: August 12, 2014 21:18

ronkeith72
Bill's a great guy who I think is as happy as can be!!! He's got a great sense of humor, see his Beggar's Banquet issues.

Yes, he's come a long way from wanting to commit suicide by jumping off the balcony at one of Keith's Beacon shows.

Posted by: Paulhanrahan ()
Date: August 13, 2014 07:22

Bill German is a great guy. I felt privileged subscribing to BB and getting the inside gossip, I still remember my childlike enthusiasm when the latest edition arrived and I was sad when Bill ceased its publication.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: August 13, 2014 10:03

>>The only "strange" thing is that he is not even mentioned in LIFE even once. He was sooo close for so many years and Keith doesn´t mention him at all. Do you think he might be angry or something ?<<

I don't think it is a coincidence, and I don't think it is because Bill was so irrelevant that he wasn't worth mentioning. The fact is, Bill wrote a tell-all book after he was given privileged access to the Stones. They offered him a job, which was basically a bribe for him to do PR for them. He wanted to keep his autonomy and refused.

So he wrote what he saw and perceived, and to those of us with fewer stars in our eyes, it came across as an unflattering exposé. This included his view that the RS were emotionally blackmailed into doing Live Aid. He described how Keith strung him along for what seemed to be years, waiting for his interview. They were too cheap to even comp him tickets. And most diabolical of all, they asked him to have their drugs mailed to him in Japan, which has one of the strictest anti-drug polices in the world. If caught, he would have spent a long time in prison.

Bill's book is now an enduring part of their legacy and what he saw and experienced and recounted cannot be retracted.

So I would say there is some bad blood on both sides although I imagine that on a superficial level their r'ship might be a cordial one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-13 14:49 by Bliss.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: August 13, 2014 12:06

Ok. So today is the first time I actually ponder the fact that Bill Graham and Bill German are two different people.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: August 13, 2014 12:24

LieB
Ok. So today is the first time I actually ponder the fact that Bill Graham and Bill German are two different people.

>grinning smiley<

...Good on ya!

You familiar with "Tattoo You" yet?!

(Just mercilessly kidding, LieB winking smiley )
P.S: in all honesty: it has taken me a while, too. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-13 13:40 by RoughJusticeOnYa.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: August 14, 2014 06:33

The stones didn't play live aid. Mick played live aid and was scheduled - but as a solo act. He was joined with Tina Turner also David Ruffin/Eddie Kendricks
(Temptations)along with Hall and Oates. This was around the time of Mick's first
solo record. Keith and Ronnie performed as a surprise with Bob Dylan. Their performance was, to be kind, surprising... but still worth a view or listen.
The three of them together sounded like a good idea; however, there are no redo's
On live television and this fact is drilled home during their segment. Took some
Guts to try though as I think they were on just before the finale when the world
Was watching live on prime time.

Date: August 14, 2014 06:58

That set was a train wreck. Broken strings, so high they couldn't hear their guitars. I remember Ronnie kept trying to listen to the sound of his acoustic guitar. I beleive he walked off and came back. It was like all three were out all night and they looked like they had that hang over smell and feeling.....

Posted by: Paulhanrahan ()
Date: August 14, 2014 07:03

Ronnie and Keith were snorting devils dandruf behind the curtain

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: August 14, 2014 11:22

varilla
Dreamer
varilla
The BEST book along with Phelges´.
The only "strange" thing is that he is not even mentioned in LIFE even once. He was sooo close for so many years and Keith doesn´t mention him at all. Do you think he might be angry or something ?

Keith or Bill?

Maybe Keith, because of his friend writing a book, tell all, etc
All the same, Keith comes out really good from Bill´s book. Bill seems to have Keith in great esteem.
Bill really seems to be a great and a very, very, honest guy.
The best writer of the lot (and he wrote it himself, no ghostwriter here)

Yeah maybe KR was a little angry at his friend Bill although he didn't have a reason for it like you said..except his usual J&H thing. Some friend KR is: not mentioning his friend BG at all... Politics before friendship. BG had a role as a friend. He was in a coalition without knowing. To honest alright. Naive maybe.
The nasty side of KR is easy to see. If you don't close your eyes while praying gratitude for a lick or two.

Date: August 14, 2014 11:27

AlmostHearYouSigh
That set was a train wreck. Broken strings, so high they couldn't hear their guitars. I remember Ronnie kept trying to listen to the sound of his acoustic guitar. I beleive he walked off and came back. It was like all three were out all night and they looked like they had that hang over smell and feeling.....

They didn't hear anything. That was the main reason why that set didn't work so good.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: August 14, 2014 11:59

RoughJusticeOnYa

>grinning smiley<

...Good on ya!

You familiar with "Tattoo You" yet?!

(Just mercilessly kidding, LieB winking smiley )
P.S: in all honesty: it has taken me a while, too. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

grinning smiley

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 14, 2014 16:32

Dreamer
varilla
Dreamer
varilla
The only "strange" thing is that he is not even mentioned in LIFE even once. He was sooo close for so many years and Keith doesn´t mention him at all. Do you think he might be angry or something ?

Keith or Bill?

All the same, Keith comes out really good from Bill´s book. Bill seems to have Keith in great esteem.

Yeah maybe KR was a little angry at his friend Bill although he didn't have a reason for it like you said..except his usual J&H thing. Some friend KR is: not mentioning his friend BG at all... Politics before friendship. BG had a role as a friend. He was in a coalition without knowing. To honest alright. Naive maybe.
The nasty side of KR is easy to see. If you don't close your eyes while praying gratitude for a lick or two.

None of us knows how much material recorded and written was taken out when the book was edited. For all we know, Keith may have talked about Bill in the interview process, but ultimately decided it was a part of the book he could leave out. The section on that era was relatively short compared to the rest of the book, but LIFE still ended up being a long book that would have been even longer if everything he talked about was included.
To go from Keith not mentioning Bill German to Keith is a horrible friend is a big stretch...or maybe, naive? grinning smiley

Date: August 14, 2014 16:50

<maybe KR was a little angry at his friend Bill although he didn't have a reason for it... Some friend KR is: not mentioning his FAN? BG at all... Politics before friendship...The nasty side of KR is easy to see. If you don't close your eyes while praying gratitude for a lick or two.>

Less hatred makes the world a better place smiling smiley

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 14, 2014 16:53

DandelionPowderman
Less hatred makes the world a better place

Absolutely true

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: August 15, 2014 18:29

latebloomer
Dreamer
varilla
Dreamer
varilla

Keith or Bill?

None of us knows how much material recorded and written was taken out when the book was edited. For all we know, Keith may have talked about Bill in the interview process, but ultimately decided it was a part of the book he could leave out. The section on that era was relatively short compared to the rest of the book, but LIFE still ended up being a long book that would have been even longer if everything he talked about was included.
To go from Keith not mentioning Bill German to Keith is a horrible friend is a big stretch...or maybe, naive? grinning smiley

smoking smiley
To believe KR is some cool hero who lives for friendship is...naive.

Fact: BG really helped a lot keeping the fire burning.
Although they smiled a lot at him he wasn't often treated like that: his facilities were lousy and their cooperation was ridiculously unprofessional while sometimes at the same time they demanded the kid could act as a communication pro. Or even as a courier: you are far worse from being naive when asking and/or expecting someone to do things like that for you...

I never said KR is or was a horrible friend of BG.
I say he wasn't a friend at all. BG was in a coalition without knowing: KR made BG believe he was a friend..that's what's horrible.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 15, 2014 18:38

Rolling Hansie
DandelionPowderman
Less hatred makes the world a better place

Absolutely true

Thanks, Hansie. I´ll use this for school purposes!

Date: August 15, 2014 19:09

Dreamer
latebloomer
Dreamer
varilla
Dreamer
varilla

Keith or Bill?

smoking smiley

Although they smiled a lot at him he wasn't often treated like that: his facilities were lousy and their cooperation was ridiculously unprofessional while sometimes at the same time they demanded the kid could act as a communication pro. Or even as a courier: you are far worse from being naive when asking and/or expecting someone to do things like that for you...

I say he wasn't a friend at all. BG was in a coalition without knowing: KR made BG believe he was a friend..that's what's horrible.

Who said that? I'll accept that you never said he was a horrible friend, but you certainly implied it, in regards to Bill German. Dreamer, the only thing I was referencing was the possible reason that KR did not mention BG in his book. I was trying to point out that, since we don't really know the reasons behind the omission, I don't think you can claim it as exhibit A that Keith was a bad friend to BG. I thought that was what you were talking about too. But, I think there is more to it for you. It isn't worth arguing over really, just two different perspectives. I suppose we all have our own naïvetés...you stick with yours and I'll stick with mine. cool smiley

Date: August 15, 2014 19:27

DandelionPowderman
<maybe KR was a little angry at his friend Bill although he didn't have a reason for it... Some friend KR is: not mentioning his FAN? BG at all... Politics before friendship...The nasty side of KR is easy to see. If you don't close your eyes while praying gratitude for a lick or two.>

Such lovely words.
But you have to practice what you preach my scandinavian Mandela. Or is it Father Theresa? So start accepting people have different opinions and that it's ok for everyone to publish them. That would be a proper attitude.
Now you make it look like there's hatred in someone's opinion just because it's different than yours.
Surprise me and tell me that wasn't your intention at all..?

Date: August 15, 2014 19:44

latebloomer
Dreamer
latebloomer
Dreamer
varilla
Dreamer
varilla

Keith or Bill?

smoking smiley

Who said that? I'll accept that you never said he was a horrible friend, but you certainly implied it, in regards to Bill German. Dreamer, the only thing I was referencing was the possible reason that KR did not mention BG in his book. I was trying to point out that, since we don't really know the reasons behind the omission, I don't think you can claim it as exhibit A that Keith was a bad friend to BG. I thought that was what you were talking about too. But, I think there is more to it for you. It isn't worth arguing over really, just two different perspectives. I suppose we all have our own naïvetés...you stick with yours and I'll stick with mine. cool smiley

Fine with me drinking smiley
But when you say "I don't think you can claim it as exhibit A that Keith was a bad friend to BG." I have to repeat what I said before; "I say he wasn't a friend at all. BG was in a coalition without knowing: KR made BG believe he was a friend..that's what's horrible."

So I'm not bringing in exhibits that he was or is a bad friend or a horrible friend.
I'm just saying how horrible it is when you think they're your friends and they don't behave like that at all and just laugh behind your back and...well just read everything published before about BG & the RS. Not just a love story...

Date: August 15, 2014 19:58

I'm just saying how horrible it is when you think they're your friends and they don't behave like that at all and just laugh behind your back and...well just read everything published before about BG & the RS. Not just a love story...

Okay Dreamer, you just keep on dreaming....peace out. cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-15 20:00 by latebloomer.

Date: August 15, 2014 20:12

latebloomer

Okay Dreamer, you just keep on dreaming....peace out. cool smiley

Don't worry: I will! I don't mind being naive.
smiling smiley

Date: August 15, 2014 21:02

Dreamer
DandelionPowderman

Such lovely words.
But you have to practice what you preach my scandinavian Mandela. Or is it Father Theresa? So start accepting people have different opinions and that it's ok for everyone to publish them. That would be a proper attitude.
Now you make it look like there's hatred in someone's opinion just because it's different than yours.

Maybe we read eachother wrongly, or maybe we're making this debate more of a show than there's reason for?

No deeper meaning in my post than pointing out what I found a bit hateful, my friend. I'll be the first one to the barricades, fighting for your right to state your opinion.

But was Bill indeed Keith's real friend, or more of a mascot? You tell me smiling smiley

PS: I expected him to mention Bill in his book as well.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: August 15, 2014 21:09

Bill got to witness a flatulence contest between Ronnie and Keith. That alone makes up for any travails or potential incarceration for being a drug mule. The ultimate Stones' fan dream come true.

Date: August 15, 2014 21:15

bleedingman
Bill got to witness a flatulence contest between Ronnie and Keith. That alone makes up for any travails or potential incarceration for being a drug mule. The ultimate Stones' fan dream come true.

Best post here, hands down! Thank you for the laugh Bleedingman, just got some funny looks from the dentist waiting room folks. smileys with beer

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 15, 2014 21:32

So the group think is now coming to the conclusion that KR is a bad person for leaving BG out of his autobiography...

A couple of questions...

Did RW meantion BG in his autobiography?
Did BW meantion BG in any of his books?
How much did KR talk about Jane Rose in his autobiography?
Am I the only one that thinks this is much ado about nothing?
Am I the only one that thinks this is just another opportunity for IORRians to bash KR? Good thing y'all are fans, I'd hate to see the way you'd treat him if you didn't like the Stones.

Note: To Bill German if you happen to see this (I've heard he lurks around here from time to time) I LOVED YOUR BOOK! Hopefully I'll get to attend one of your lectures some day.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-15 21:52 by mr_dja.

Date: August 15, 2014 21:34

DandelionPowderman
Dreamer
DandelionPowderman

Such lovely words.

Maybe we read eachother wrongly, or maybe we're making this debate more of a show than there's reason for?

No deeper meaning in my post than pointing out what I found a bit hateful, my friend. I'll be the first one to the barricades, fighting for your right to state your opinion.

But was Bill indeed Keith's real friend, or more of a mascot? You tell me smiling smiley

PS: I expected him to mention Bill in his book as well.

That's your perspectice, friendo. :-)
Whenever KR is involved in another opinion than yours you automatically switch to interprete in possible hatefulness or something.
One doesn't have to hate someone who did awful (even hateful) things...keep that in mind will you?

BG wasn't exactly in the position to even think reasonable. He was in the middle of something great: being accepted by the Stones and treated as a friend.
By the way: how do you think you are treated as a fan...? And how are you treating them...? I think forms of friendship has something to do with it.
Or do you consider yourself a mascotte...? You tell me smoking smiley

Date: August 15, 2014 21:37

Ha ha, I'm just a Joe Schmoe smileys with beer

Date: August 15, 2014 21:43

mr_dja
So the gorup think is now coming to the conclusion that KR is a bad person for leaving BG out of his autobiography...

A couple of questions...

Am I the only one that thinks this is just another opportunity for IORRians to bash KR? Good thing y'all are fans, I'd hate to see the way you'd treat him if you didn't like the Stones.

Note: To Bill German if you happen to see this (I've heard he lurks around here from time to time) I LOVED YOUR BOOK! Hopefully I'll get to attend one of your lectures some day.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Exactly, Mr DJA. thumbs up

Date: August 15, 2014 21:46

But it's not about opnions, Dreamer, it's about the choice of words, and how far one chooses to go. I'm okay with your opinion about KR.

Date: August 15, 2014 22:51

mr_dja
So the group think is now coming to the conclusion that KR is a bad person for leaving BG out of his autobiography...

A couple of questions...

Peace,
Mr DJA

The group? Who or what's that??
(I'm alone here man. And why would I need peace??)

For who are your questions? In case it's ok for me to answer: bs. Comparing apples with the RS. So I'm sorry old chap: I'm just giving my opinion about this one.

More peace to you and I hope you can have it!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1554
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home