Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: The 5 worst Stones albums
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 31, 2014 21:07

duke richardson
treaclefingers
duke richardson
apparently theres a consensus that Dirty Work is their 'least great' album..

For me the difference in Undercover and Dirty Work is that there is a creative energy and darkness in Undercover...a band fighting to stay alive. There is an urgency and energy to it.

With Dirty Work, it's a band that has imploded and they are musicians just punching the clock. Maybe the first time we hear 'stones by numbers' for an entire album.

Yeah that is definitely how I've always thought of 'Dirty Work'..a clock- punching album made because ..well because they had to. They were in sad shape and they knew it.
and Undercover- man that's got some of the most unusual Stones work since TSMR in my opinion.. Feel On Baby being the standout example ..I just think 'She Was Hot' is one of their best songs ever. I just like that album!

I think I like Undercover even more now than when it was first released.

Also, Undercover Of The Night is one of their singles I don't tire of, which I can't say for a lot of them. Start Me Up, Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk Women, Satisfaction, Streets Of Love...I just don't need to hear them on the radio again.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: July 31, 2014 21:34

Dirty Work
A Bigger Bang
Satanic Majesty
Between the Buttons
Undercover

With a large gap between the drop from Satanic Majesty to ABB and Dirty Work.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 31, 2014 21:55

Between the Button is another one that mystifies me as a choice for anyone's "worst" list. Great pop songwriting, adventurous arrangements, lots of Keith singing. There are so many more "worse" albums one can choose.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 31, 2014 22:12

71Tele
Between the Button is another one that mystifies me as a choice for anyone's "worst" list. Great pop songwriting, adventurous arrangements, lots of Keith singing. There are so many more "worse" albums one can choose.

And I'm actually glad for the UK version as well. Some people's 'Stones' fits into a fairly narrow category. I think I love the band because their sound suits so many different styles.

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: July 31, 2014 22:44

Undercover
BTB
Dirty Work
Emotional Rescue
A Bigger Bang

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 1, 2014 00:04

1. A Bigger Bang
2. Gloom and Doom/One More Shot
3. Bridge to Babylon
4. Keys to your love/Losing My Touch
5. Undercover

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 1, 2014 00:07

KRiffhard
1. A Bigger Bang
3. Bridge to Babylon
5. Undercover

I never knew 2 and 4 were albums.

Date: August 1, 2014 00:27

The top votes so far:

Dirty work - 27 votes

Satanic - 12 votes

A Bigger Bang - 12 votes

Steel Wheels - 12 votes

Undercover - 11 votes

Emotional Rescue - 8 votes

Voodoo Lounge - 8 votes

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 1, 2014 00:29

More Hot Rocks
Undercover
Emotional Rescue
Dirty Work
Some Girls
Satanic Majesty

...and so 'Some girls' would be one of the 5 worst Stones album. Yes, it's definitely an album worse than ABB and BTB. eye popping smiley

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: August 1, 2014 00:37

71Tele

They're so obviously trying to sound like the Beatles, that's just cringeworthy. I have nothing against pop as long as it's not self-conscious and faking something that isn't there. I like Aftermath, also pop, but still somehow "their thing" at that time. Plus, that one indeed has good song writing. On Buttons, all songs are embarrassing and uninspired: "let's try this, it's a bit freaky, just like the Beatles would have done it." The same goes for the arrangements: medieval and exotic instruments were all the hype at that time, but that only works when you have good songs (that's why on Aftermath, the special instruments did work).

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: August 1, 2014 00:48

Emotional rescue
Satanic majesties
Undercover
Still life
RArities 197?-2003

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: August 1, 2014 02:12

Satanics is a gift. For those that don't like pop Stones you must dislike everything from LRR to JJF (minus Satisfaction) as pop is all they really did with a little bit of blues but not much to speak of.

I don't see the sense in polls like this concentrating on negativity of the Stones.

I love Bridges and play it a lot. Voodoo, Bang should have been trimmed but have a lot of good gear.

I'd take a 'bad' Stones album any day over most 'good' somebody else's.

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: August 1, 2014 02:43

duke richardson
apparently theres a consensus that Dirty Work is their 'least great' album..
Nope. To me it's somewhere in the middle and has some great stuff on it. Steel Wheels is the candidate.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: August 1, 2014 02:43

Studio albums not live versions or anything else!!!!

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: August 1, 2014 02:44

Pete66
For me it's their first 5, which I think of as their worst really.
I rate The Rolling Stones Now! above Sticky Fingers, that's how much I love it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-01 02:46 by TimeIs.

Date: August 1, 2014 03:56

Deleted

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-01 04:02 by More Hot Rocks.

Date: August 1, 2014 04:01

KRiffhard
More Hot Rocks
Undercover
Emotional Rescue
Dirty Work
Some Girls
Satanic Majesty

...and so 'Some girls' would be one of the 5 worst Stones album. Yes, it's definitely an album worse than ABB and BTB. eye popping smiley

At least I know that Gloom and Doom/One More Shot and Keys to your love/Losing My Touch aren't albums.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: August 1, 2014 04:06

KRiffhard
1. A Bigger Bang
3. Bridge to Babylon
5. Undercover

Gloom and Doom? Or Doom and Gloom? I liked that whole album! #4 I think was the best album they ever put out. geeeeez dude do you know what an album is?

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: August 1, 2014 04:08

Can I vote for Undercover and Emotional Rescue again?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 1, 2014 04:54

1. Sucking In The Seventies - Mainly because they actually had the nerve to edit out MT's guitar outro.

2. Made In The Shade - A slim compilation of their previous 4 albums, and definitely not a best of. I'd like to see them try that with Steel Wheels through Bigger Bang.

3. Got Live If You Want It - I only want it because it has the only official release of their take on I've Been Loving You Too Long. But since I now have the studio version on a bootleg of Out Of Our Heads (UK), I no longer want it if they've got "live".

4. Dirty Work - Okay, I don't mind the odd Stones track where a different drummer subs for Charlie, but virtually a whole album where the drumming duties are split between Steve Jordan and Anton Fig? That isn't the Rolling Stones, it's the Super X-Pensive Winos - The Pre-Album (Schlock Is Cheap), featuring guest vocalist Mick Jagger.

5. Black and Blue/Undercover - Most Stones albums, from the very first on up through Bigger Bang, I can listen to from start to finish and enjoy them all the way through. The problem I have with each of these is that exactly half the album is great and half the album is bland--the bland parts suffer from the dated production values. In the case of Black and Blue it's the lazy, dampened, syrupy sound of the mid-seventies and in the case of Undercover it's the over-the-top robotic techno garble of the early eighties. Each of these should have been EPs rather than LPs.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 1, 2014 05:41

DandelionPowderman
I love 'em all, too, but five albums can still be worse than others smiling smiley

If not outright love all, to some extent positively appreciate them all. In part, therefore in the said spirit, but also provoked by negative attitudes towards my many favourites, I wish to take out mý reaction a little more onesidedly than it actually is:

TATTOO YOU!
TATTOO YOU!!
TATTOO YOU!!!
TATTOO YOU!!!!
TATTOO YOU!!!!!

Posted by: gipsy12 ()
Date: August 1, 2014 09:09

Their Satanic Majesties Request
Emotional Rescue
Undercover
Dirty Work
Steel Wheels

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: August 1, 2014 09:41

Exile On Main Street
Sticky Fingers
Beggars Banquet
Some Girls
Let It Bleed

What a stupid thread ... of course not every Stones album is brilliant but none of them are bad. It's the Rolling Stones, folks, and even if they're not on the peak of creativity, it's still the best rock'n'roll you can get

Amen!

Date: August 1, 2014 09:51

matxil
71Tele

They're so obviously trying to sound like the Beatles, that's just cringeworthy. I have nothing against pop as long as it's not self-conscious and faking something that isn't there. I like Aftermath, also pop, but still somehow "their thing" at that time. Plus, that one indeed has good song writing. On Buttons, all songs are embarrassing and uninspired: "let's try this, it's a bit freaky, just like the Beatles would have done it." The same goes for the arrangements: medieval and exotic instruments were all the hype at that time, but that only works when you have good songs (that's why on Aftermath, the special instruments did work).

I would say they tried to sound more like the Kinks (think Connection winking smiley ):

Date: August 1, 2014 10:22

I really doubt that the Rolling Stones on purpose ever tried to sound like another band (apart from initial songs in the blues, R&B or soul vein). Subconscious receptability is another thing. Or conscious inspiration.

Date: August 1, 2014 10:33

Witness
I really doubt that the Rolling Stones on purpose ever tried to sound like another band (apart from initial songs in the blues, R&B or soul vein). Subconscious receptability is another thing. Or conscious inspiration.

They have always drawn inspiration from contemporary music! In 1967, the Kinks were on top of their game - with their very british music hall meets pop psychedelia style which is VERY evident on Between The Buttons, imo.

There are more stuff on Aftermath and Their Satanic Majesties Request that draw inspiration off the Beatles, methinks.

Date: August 1, 2014 10:46

DandelionPowderman
Witness

They have always drawn inspiration from contemporary music! In 1967, the Kinks were on top of their game - with their very british music hall meets pop psychedelia style which is VERY evident on Between The Buttons, imo.

There are more stuff on Aftermath and Their Satanic Majesties Request that draw inspiration off the Beatles, methinks.

To draw and to be able to draw inspiration from other bands has almost always been a major strong side of the Rolling Stones. But I doubt that it very often worked like an attempt to sound like another band en bloc. Rather more indirect, for instance the way "2000 Light Years from Home" is said to have been inspired by the "C.T.A.-102" song on Byrds' YOUNGER THAN YESTERDAY

Date: August 1, 2014 10:50

Witness
DandelionPowderman
Witness

To draw and to be able to draw inspiration from other bands has almost always been a major strong side of the Rolling Stones. But I doubt that it very often worked like an attempt to sound like another band en bloc. Rather more indirect, for instance the way "2000 Light Years from Home" is said to have been inspired by the "C.T.A.-102" song on Byrds' YOUNGER THAN YESTERDAY

Remember that it wasn't me that said "trying to sound like". I replied with:

"I would say they tried to sound more like the Kinks" smiling smiley

Interesting with C.T.A. I hadn't heard that before...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-01 10:51 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: IrisC ()
Date: August 1, 2014 14:46

I have to question if some of you are actually Stones fans! Tattoo You? Ya yas please. Listen to them again.

Date: August 1, 2014 15:12

IrisC
I have to question if some of you are actually Stones fans! Tattoo You? Ya yas please. Listen to them again.

The Stones have rolled so many ways that there are goodies for all grinning smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1943
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home