Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7
Re: The 5 worst Stones albums
Date: August 12, 2014 01:03

71Tele
DandelionPowderman
I find it baffling that people find Undercover an album without creativity.

Firstly, there is a new sound, coloring many of the songs.

Secondly, there are new equipment, which they dabbled with on ER and TY, that they master perfectly on this album (listen to the slapback-playing on She Was Hot, for instance).

Thirdly, there are great songs - songs that don't sound like second rate Exile-numbers. Fresh ideas for the decade they were in.

Finally, it was the first Stones album I bought myself smiling smiley

PS: The singles were all excellent, and the dub versions of Undercover (Of The Night) and Feel On Baby are tremendous!

Why is it so baffling? It's the first Stones album where most of the songs kind of suck. Very simple.

That doesn't mean there's no creativity. It's an ignorant stance as well. But the most outrageous thing is that it just isn't true - very simple smiling smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 12, 2014 01:07

DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DandelionPowderman

Secondly, there are new equipment, which they dabbled with on ER and TY, that they master perfectly on this album (listen to the slapback-playing on She Was Hot, for instance).

Thirdly, there are great songs - songs that don't sound like second rate Exile-numbers. Fresh ideas for the decade they were in.

PS: The singles were all excellent, and the dub versions of Undercover (Of The Night) and Feel On Baby are tremendous!

Why is it so baffling? It's the first Stones album where most of the songs kind of suck. Very simple.

That doesn't mean there's no creativity. It's an ignorant stance as well. But the most outrageous thing is that it just isn't true - very simple smiling smiley

Whether you like it or not, I do believe they were exploring some new territory for them.

I like the result very much, and my opinion on it hasn't changed in the 30 or so years since it's come out. For me it really has aged very well.

I understand not liking it. People freak out that I'm not in love with Goat's Head Soup. Who cares?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 12, 2014 01:15

People freak out that I'm not in love with Goat's Head Soup. Who cares?

WELL ...there's a gang of cooks in Jamaica who are really pissed with ya ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 12, 2014 01:33

DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DandelionPowderman

Hey, I get that you like it. But there is nothing "ignorant" about me thinking most of these songs just don't stand up - they just don't. So, in my mind it IS true. There are maybe two great songs on the record, some mediocre ones, and some that are plain awful. The beginning of a pattern, unfortunately.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 12, 2014 04:30

Reading this thread got me to go out and download a lot of the Stones output over the past 25 years or so. My god they put out a lot of bad music over this time period. You gotta cherry pick the albums to find the best cuts. "Dirty Work" may be the worse, but when I hear the album title "Dirty Work", I remember reading that it was essentially Keith and Ronnie's album, with Mick coming into the studio to do vocals when they weren't there. It was also during this period and recording of this album that, from what I also read, possibly true or not, Keith and Ronnie came up with the nickname of "Brenda" for Mick. Who knows. I can't say what are the 5 worse albums, but I can say, the last great Stones album was "Talk Is Cheap" by Keith.

Date: August 12, 2014 04:33

Rockman
People freak out that I'm not in love with Goat's Head Soup. Who cares?

WELL ...there's a gang of cooks in Jamaica who are really pissed with ya ....

The Jamaicans and I have an understanding.

Date: August 12, 2014 08:50

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DandelionPowderman

Whether you like it or not, I do believe they were exploring some new territory for them.

I like the result very much, and my opinion on it hasn't changed in the 30 or so years since it's come out. For me it really has aged very well.

I understand not liking it. People freak out that I'm not in love with Goat's Head Soup. Who cares?

Are you replying me or Tele? grinning smiley

Date: August 12, 2014 17:39

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DandelionPowderman

Are you replying me or Tele? grinning smiley

yeah I was just injecting myself in the middle of your conversation, sorry 'bout that...that was a reply to Tele.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: August 12, 2014 20:08

+1 this guy is def on crack or just trying to get a rise out of us - Get Yer Ya Ya and SG are essential rock and roll albums - period.

71Tele
EasterMan
5. Get Your Ya Ya's Out (Most overrated live album ever)
4. Dirty Work (Too many weak songs without real melody)
3. It's Only Rock N Roll (Horrible mixing with vocals wah down, Id You Can't Rock Me is almost unlistenable beacause of that)
2. Some Girls (Decent songs but the sound is so awful and trebly that I can't listen to this album)
1. Black And Blue (8 songs, wtf!!! Junk singing by Mick on Memory Motel, Cherry Oh Baby = painful reggae. Only good cut on this album is Hand Of Fate. Hot Stuff was later on wonderful on Love You Live, and Memory Motel was also great in concert.

Regarding Ya Yas. You're on crack. No disrespect intended. Agree with you about Black & Blue though. I would rather drink paint than ever have to endure Melody again.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 13, 2014 00:45

No one is "freaking out", and everyone is entitled to their opinion. The Stones have made some great records, some average ones, and some that were downright foirgettable. To put Goats Head Soup in the latter category is a rather startling view, I'll just put it that way.

Date: August 13, 2014 19:01

71Tele
No one is "freaking out", and everyone is entitled to their opinion. The Stones have made some great records, some average ones, and some that were downright foirgettable. To put Goats Head Soup in the latter category is a rather startling view, I'll just put it that way.

Your honour, the prosecution rests its case.

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: August 13, 2014 19:03

Lynd8
+1 this guy is def on crack or just trying to get a rise out of us - Get Yer Ya Ya and SG are essential rock and roll albums - period.

71Tele
EasterMan
5. Get Your Ya Ya's Out (Most overrated live album ever)
4. Dirty Work (Too many weak songs without real melody)
3. It's Only Rock N Roll (Horrible mixing with vocals wah down, Id You Can't Rock Me is almost unlistenable beacause of that)
2. Some Girls (Decent songs but the sound is so awful and trebly that I can't listen to this album)
1. Black And Blue (8 songs, wtf!!! Junk singing by Mick on Memory Motel, Cherry Oh Baby = painful reggae. Only good cut on this album is Hand Of Fate. Hot Stuff was later on wonderful on Love You Live, and Memory Motel was also great in concert.

Regarding Ya Yas. You're on crack. No disrespect intended. Agree with you about Black & Blue though. I would rather drink paint than ever have to endure Melody again.

he is TOTALLY on crack. These are all great great albums other than Dirty Work

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 14, 2014 16:44

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
OK...HERE is a website with a list that counts down WORST to BEST:

[www.stereogum.com]

Take it for what you will...Dirty Work does get the lead honours I will note.

"How Can I Stop"... still feels like a half-baked "Beast Of Burden" minus a hook.

That's beyond ignorant.

Is that the same as post-ignorant?

No. It's like Pluto... past Neptune.

Date: August 14, 2014 16:48

treaclefingers

It's good to be here, it's good to be anywhere?

Posted by: Mikael ()
Date: August 14, 2014 17:00

Dirty Work- their only utterly worthless album. No redeeming qualities. At all.

Tattoo You
Emotional Rescue
Still Life
Bridges To Babylon

Date: August 14, 2014 17:02

Mikael
Dirty Work- their only utterly worthless album. No redeeming qualities. At all.

Not even Harlem Shuffle? Why not!? It's been on JUMP BACK, FORTY LICKS and whatever the newest one is called. The chimpanzee album.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1654
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home