Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Track Talk: Sister Morphine
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 1, 2014 02:20

DandelionPowderman
vincentwhirlwind
What was Marianne Faithful's contribution to that track?

According to Mick, only the words "Cousin Cocaine" smiling smiley

Marianne Faithful has always claimed to have written quite a bit of the song. Found this quote from an interview with Marianne:

Marianne Faithfull recalled writing the song to The Guardian newspaper in January 2013: "I just liked the name, and loved Lou Reed's work, 'Sister Ray and 'Heroin.' I liked the idea poetically. I thought it was like Baudelaire, but the song doesn't glamorise anything. It was a really interesting vision."

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: July 1, 2014 04:26

Are we certain that's Keith on acoustic guitar and not Mick Jagger?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 1, 2014 06:58

From4tilLate

That's what the credits say, but I still think it could be Mick.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 1, 2014 07:17

bitusa2012
Never before and never since has the SOUND of the song so purely matched the lyric. It's a junkie's highs and withdrawals set perfectly, hypnotically and menacingly to music. I always think to myself 'what WERE they THINKING when they were laying this one down?"

Chilling track

Funnily enough and ironically, I've always thought the same of Lou Reed's Heroin. It's like you're on the ride.

Date: July 1, 2014 07:19

71Tele
From4tilLate

Thank you 71. I always thought it was Mick and had never considered otherwise. It doesn't sound like Keith to me.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 1, 2014 07:33

Here's the version with Marianne Faithfull on vocals.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 1, 2014 08:45

From4tilLate
71Tele
From4tilLate

Thank you 71. I always thought it was Mick and had never considered otherwise. It doesn't sound like Keith to me.

It's 100% Keith. There's no way Mick ever could play like that.

Mathijs

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 1, 2014 08:46

stonehearted

She sings in a young Leo Cohen style which makes me come to think of Cohens brilliant junkie-song 'The Butcher'...So here we go:

Date: July 1, 2014 19:24

71Tele
From4tilLate

That surprises me. Have you listened closely to the little licks in there?

This is stuff Keith does all the time on acoustic, as well as on more mellow songs like WOAF and others.

Date: July 1, 2014 19:28

DandelionPowderman
71Tele
From4tilLate

This is stuff Keith does all the time on acoustic, as well as on more mellow songs like WOAF and others.

I bow to the wisdom of my superiors. I hadn't listened to the track before I posted. I haven't listened to it NOW. I had just always thought it might be Mick. I'm sure that when I listen to it I'll hear what you and Mathijs are talking about.

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: July 1, 2014 20:17

stonehearted

Truly Wonderful!>grinning smiley<

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: July 1, 2014 22:39

This is a true bluessong in your face, somebody in despair in hospital after an accident with drugs or traffic, both are tragic and common in daily life, but I also feel a light up in the darkness of this beautiful track.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: July 2, 2014 00:52

I always thought SF sounded disjointed, like a mishmash of songs. I reconfigured the song order and was amazed how much more sense the album made to me. I think it takes you on a musical journey that you do not get with the original vinyl. I know this sounds brash, but I no longer listen to the original song order. I especially like SM after the slow blues and before MLM.

BS; Bitch; CYHMK; Sway; DF; WH; IGTB; YGM; SM; MLM.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: July 2, 2014 01:01

pmk251
I always thought SF sounded disjointed, like a mishmash of songs. I reconfigured the song order and was amazed how much more sense the album made to me. I think it takes you on a musical journey that you do not get with the original vinyl. I know this sounds brash, but I no longer listen to the original song order. I especially like SM after the slow blues and before MLM.

I like it!! Reminds me of Tattoo You, of course ... the rockers on one side, the ballads on the other. Nicely done!

Drew

Posted by: tussler ()
Date: July 2, 2014 01:40

treaclefingers
bitusa2012
Never before and never since has the SOUND of the song so purely matched the lyric. It's a junkie's highs and withdrawals set perfectly, hypnotically and menacingly to music. I always think to myself 'what WERE they THINKING when they were laying this one down?"

Chilling track

Funnily enough and ironically, I've always thought the same of Lou Reed's Heroin. It's like you're on the ride.

Exactly, and you can also include Cocaine by Cream.

Posted by: tussler ()
Date: July 2, 2014 01:53

Sticy Fingers is The Album in my ears. My favorite song from this album have change all the time. The variation is fantastic, if there is a record that is above every other records in the world, this is it and of course SM is one of the diamonds

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: July 2, 2014 02:20

tussler
treaclefingers
bitusa2012

Chilling track

Exactly, and you can also include Cocaine by Cream.

I believe you mean Clapton, not Cream, but point taken. It's actually a JJ Cale composition, and he did a great version himself.

Drew

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: July 2, 2014 16:25

From4tilLate

Sure it is not Mick. There are some arpeggios, too difficult to play for him. It is the usual Keith-style ...

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: July 2, 2014 16:29

But the Faithfull version has MJ on acoustic guitar according to [en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 2, 2014 20:48

DandelionPowderman
71Tele
From4tilLate

I said "could", DP, not "is". But I think the credits are probably right.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: July 2, 2014 22:16

Fantastic haunting song.

Date: July 3, 2014 01:02

drewmaster
pmk251

I like it!! Reminds me of Tattoo You, of course ... the rockers on one side, the ballads on the other. Nicely done!

Drew
thumbs up

Posted by: AJDuffer ()
Date: July 3, 2014 05:54

Awesome tune and super album. A classic for the ages.

Posted by: stoneslib ()
Date: July 3, 2014 07:05

I have sometimes wondered if "cool, cool" might actually be "cool, cruel" - perhaps no way to be sure by listening.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: July 3, 2014 08:11

Censorship in pop-rock albums under Franco's regime"). A record could be censored for four reasons: politic, religion, sex or drugs. Many albums never were published in Spain for these reasons. Others had to be modified, e.g. Sticky Fingers by the Rolling Stones: the cover was censored as obscene and the song "Sister Morphine" for reasons of drugs; the Spanish edition has a different cover and includes two unreleased tracks instead of "Sister Morphine"; obviously, this issue is wanted by collectors around the world."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-03 08:34 by runaway.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 3, 2014 08:19

bitusa2012

Chilling track

Totally agree. I remember hearing this one for the first time and it took my breath away.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: July 15, 2014 07:19

This from a bunch of fairly young kids at the time? Fantastic track!

Posted by: Gooo ()
Date: July 15, 2014 14:11

Great druggie song

Posted by: huricane ()
Date: August 8, 2014 22:44

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 9, 2014 01:14

The title alone is brilliant. Not one of my favorite tracks on that record but certainly one which sticks with you after you hear it. Dark and painful.

I think without Ry Cooder's playing it probably wouldn't have made the cut.

It may have been written before Keith was a full blown junkie but it certainly showed the fascination these guys were having for hard drugs, and probably influenced a lot of young listeners to further explore that road. I mean the Stones were so cool at that point and listening to that record and seeing the great photos of them on Sticky Fingers all kind of pointed to a clue to unraveling their coolness.....drugs, and their ability to flaunt them in the face of the man at that time was the ultimate cool. peace

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1513
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home