Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: Recommended Aerosmith?
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 30, 2014 14:17

In order of greatness:

1. Get Your Wings
2. Toys In The Attic
3. Rocks
4. Pump
5. Permanent Vacation
6. Aerosmith

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: June 30, 2014 18:32

I think that Night in the ruts is also a very good album from the 70s era of the band.

Listen to this track with Jimmy Crespo

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: June 30, 2014 18:39

I concur with those mentioning Night in the Ruts and Draw the line, great follow-ups to what are seen as their more "classic" albums.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: June 30, 2014 18:40

The first four and "Draw The Line" as a point of reference as to when cocaine nearly destroyed the band. "DTL" isn't THAT bad and should be considered a part of their required, original discography.

Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: June 30, 2014 19:37

the night before the stones

Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: June 30, 2014 19:39

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: June 30, 2014 20:04

very cool DREAMTIME, I'm in the second video seating it seems, on the exact opposite side of you smiling smiley

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: June 30, 2014 21:18

If you only get one, Rocks is their best. They are still incredible live. They put on a hell of a show in London two nights ago. I could not believe how great they were. I even enjoyed Don't want to miss a thing. I guess it's their "Streets of love"!

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: June 30, 2014 21:27

I'm shocked at how much love Honkin On Bobo is getting here. Wish I had it to give it another listen, but alas my ex-wife won't give me any of my stuff and it's still at my old house. Anyway, I stopped buying their albums when this one came out. Absolutely horrible IMO. But then, I absolutely love Nine Lives and don't see that mentioned once.

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: June 30, 2014 21:43

yep, there is something "wrong" with honkin on bobo. Like they're trying too hard, and it is all testosterone to the max. pretty desperate. I haven't played it in years. 9 Lives has some great stuff on it (Crash and The Farm spring to mind). Slightly marred by too many songs and muddy production, but a pretty decent album.

Date: June 30, 2014 21:48

I think that the version of you gotta move is fantastic and very ''original''
HOB is a blues album, played in the aerosmith way

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 30, 2014 21:58

I would agree, this is one of the only later day albums I really like by them. Honkin has some great versions on it. Never Loved a Man is fantastic. Some great and very Stonesy guitar. Sounds like Keith and Ronnie.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: June 30, 2014 22:43

I don't know what happened with Honkin' On Bobo as, at least in theory, it should have been a great album. Note: I'm a huge Aerosmith fan and was really looking forward to this album when it came out. I was really hoping that the five guys I know collectively as Aerosmith would record a blues album - I think it would have been really good if that would have happened. What I ended up with was an album of hard rock blues covers by Aerosomith.

I wish I could explain what I mean. Possibly someone else who feels similarly to me can do a better job explaining and their feelings will overlap mine. It's like they tried to force the blues into an Aerosmith mold and it didn't work out as well as trying to put Aerosmith into a blues mold would have. Does that make any sense to anyone?

I actually own all of the Aerosmith studio albums. My opinions/thoughts follow:

Albums #1-4 What people are saying about in this thread is true. Yes, buy them all.
Albums #5-7 are still pretty good but not to the level of 1-4. If you find yourself turning into a fan after hearing albums 1-4, you'll probably be glad to have #5-7.
Album #8 (Done With Mirrors) is after the reunion but before the drug clean-up. Many say it's their worst but I actually like most of the songs on it.
Album #9 (Permanant Vacation) is the first Aerosmith "corporate" album. I see it as a bridge to what follows. Very much influenced by the record company but still good ole Aerosmith.
Albums #10-12 Were the MTV albums. Loaded with hits (and power balads) but missing some of the "old Aerosmith".
Albums #13-15 Were Aerosmith trying to be Aerosmith and taking back some control from the company with mixed results. No doubt some good stuff in there but also some stuff that makes you say "hu?"

Of the 15 albums, the hardest one for me to "get" was the most recent one. It did grow on me though and I do now enjoy it. My biggest dissapointment, still, was the blues album. I really think that with a slightly different philosophy, they could have given us a really good album of blues tunes recorded by Aerosmith rather than, for the most part, just Aerosmith playing hard rock versions of blues tunes.

Hope this all helps.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: June 30, 2014 23:01

mr_dja
I don't know what happened with Honkin' On Bobo as, at least in theory, it should have been a great album. Note: I'm a huge Aerosmith fan and was really looking forward to this album when it came out. I was really hoping that the five guys I know collectively as Aerosmith would record a blues album - I think it would have been really good if that would have happened. What I ended up with was an album of hard rock blues covers by Aerosomith.

I wish I could explain what I mean. Possibly someone else who feels similarly to me can do a better job explaining and their feelings will overlap mine. It's like they tried to force the blues into an Aerosmith mold and it didn't work out as well as trying to put Aerosmith into a blues mold would have. Does that make any sense to anyone?

Albums #1-4 What people are saying about in this thread is true. Yes, buy them all.
Albums #5-7 are still pretty good but not to the level of 1-4. If you find yourself turning into a fan after hearing albums 1-4, you'll probably be glad to have #5-7.
Album #8 (Done With Mirrors) is after the reunion but before the drug clean-up. Many say it's their worst but I actually like most of the songs on it.
Album #9 (Permanant Vacation) is the first Aerosmith "corporate" album. I see it as a bridge to what follows. Very much influenced by the record company but still good ole Aerosmith.
Albums #10-12 Were the MTV albums. Loaded with hits (and power balads) but missing some of the "old Aerosmith".
Albums #13-15 Were Aerosmith trying to be Aerosmith and taking back some control from the company with mixed results. No doubt some good stuff in there but also some stuff that makes you say "hu?"

Of the 15 albums, the hardest one for me to "get" was the most recent one. It did grow on me though and I do now enjoy it. My biggest dissapointment, still, was the blues album. I really think that with a slightly different philosophy, they could have given us a really good album of blues tunes recorded by Aerosmith rather than, for the most part, just Aerosmith playing hard rock versions of blues tunes.

Hope this all helps.

their worst album is Music from Another Dimension!

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: June 30, 2014 23:14

pepganzo

I deleted my part out of your quote as I didn't think it needed to be reposted again...

I won't disagree with you (much) as I'd have to listen to "Bobo" and see which is actually in my "basement".

Just out of curiosity though, how many time did you listen to #15? The only reason I ask is because, for the first couple of months I owned it, I really didn't care for it much and had all but given up on it and would have totally agreed with you placing it last on the list. I eventually put it into "heavy rotation" on my CD player and found that I enjoyed far more of it than when I first listened to it. Still, I can't disagree with you saying it's their worst as, even though I now find it an OK album, I'd still put it in their bottom 3!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: June 30, 2014 23:14

pepganzo
mr_dja

Hope this all helps.

just push play is the bands worst album

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: June 30, 2014 23:24

I played music from another dimension a couple of times and found it OK. I should probably play it a few more times.

Bobo is a gem in my opinion. Original? No but a blast and sound like Aerosmith enjoying their music.

Date: June 30, 2014 23:25

Mr DJA is right. Compared to authentic stuff like Big ten inch record, I ain't got you and Mother popcorn Honkin' On Bobo is hard rock. Listen to Roadrunner for a good comparison. It's pretty good hard rock, though.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: June 30, 2014 23:34

keefriffhard4life

Hands down.

Nine Lives their most underrated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-30 23:35 by BowieStone.

Date: June 30, 2014 23:44

BowieStone
keefriffhard4life

Hands down.

Nine Lives their most underrated.

agreed about nine lives. i saw them on that tour too

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: July 1, 2014 00:33

The tracks the other guys (Tom & Joe P.) sang & the ballads on Music from Another Dimension should've been left off. I can't recall them right off since I haven't listened to it but maybe twice. They simply ruin the feel & flow of what could've been a pretty good album to me.

Date: July 1, 2014 00:44

shadooby
The tracks the other guys (Tom & Joe P.) sang & the ballads on Music from Another Dimension should've been left off. I can't recall them right off since I haven't listened to it but maybe twice. They simply ruin the feel & flow of what could've been a pretty good album to me.

Joe Perry didn't exactly sound like a "Freedom Fighter". I agree smiling smiley

Date: July 1, 2014 01:41

mr_dja
pepganzo

I deleted my part out of your quote as I didn't think it needed to be reposted again...

I won't disagree with you (much) as I'd have to listen to "Bobo" and see which is actually in my "basement".

Just out of curiosity though, how many time did you listen to #15? The only reason I ask is because, for the first couple of months I owned it, I really didn't care for it much and had all but given up on it and would have totally agreed with you placing it last on the list. I eventually put it into "heavy rotation" on my CD player and found that I enjoyed far more of it than when I first listened to it. Still, I can't disagree with you saying it's their worst as, even though I now find it an OK album, I'd still put it in their bottom 3!

Peace,
Mr DJA

#15 is always in my car. Every week I give a lot of space to this album. I also created a particular playlist of the album using the bonus tracks in a different position.

But the problem is into some songs: the ballads and at the same time the ''rock songs'.

I think that Out Go The Lights and Legendary Child (bsides from the 80s) are just imitations of older and better songs, Lover Alot is very unispired track, Tell Me is just a good song by TH.
There is not any great track but only good moments (Oh Yeah, Closer, LUV XXX, We All Fall Down and Beautiful).

I think the problem is at the base of the disc and conception.
After years of plays aI still believe that this is a simple self-celebration of the group and of previous work. For this reason, the album seems to be a collection of imitated-covered songs from some different historical periods of the group but unfortunately the quality is not as long ago.

All these aspects make me consider Just push play (of 2001 and with a particular musical direction) an album far superior to this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-01 01:45 by pepganzo.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 1, 2014 02:16

ah,the smith-one of the best rock and roll bands to ever step foot on a rock and roll stage.

i've seen them dozens of times and have every record they've ever put out.

i'll agree the first four,like most bands,are the best but the comeback records are really good too. vacation and pump are killers and you wont find alot of rock and roll better than get a grip.these guys can just flat out play.

i'm suprised and happy we haven't seen the know nothings post the "stones rip-off" knock on them.any of that stuff is in their look only- because let's face it,the stones are the gold standard of rock and roll cool.even the leather clad elvis didnt have the baddest mother to ever pick up a guitar standing next to him.keith is so badass that guns and roses bassist duff mckagen once said "every guitar player wants to be keith richards,anybody who says they dont is lying"

why wouldn't joe want to steal a little of that? but the music,the line-up and the style is based on the 1960's yardbirds.ex-yardbirds jimmy page and jeff beck have both done guest spots onstage with them.and believe me,joe perry held his own.

honkin on bobo rocked a little too hard for a blues cover album,i'll agree it may have missed the mark a bit but joe's version of the peter green number "stop messin round" made the whole thing worth it.

Posted by: Fernandobsas ()
Date: July 1, 2014 03:40

Hi,

I would also recomend "the some kind of best of" GEMS, becouse CHIP AWAY AT THE STONE is included.

bye
Fernando

Posted by: Athena ()
Date: July 1, 2014 07:34

Love their single Jamie Got A Gun, don't know what album it's on or the year. smileys with beer

Greek Goddess of Wisdom, Skill...& War

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 1, 2014 07:54

I recommend you stay away from them. If you haven't heard them yet, you're missing nothing. ;-)

Just kidding. Toys in the Attic and Rocks are outstanding. OUTSTANDING. But, alas, sadly as it is with most artists, the initial glow of discovery is replaced by "I've heard it before by them, and better" and that's SO true of Aerosmith.

Everything after Rocks is Aerosmith rehashing Aerosmith, and the last few records pure dross....I mean....Love in An Elevator from the band that gave us Sweet Emotion or Back in the Saddle? Please........

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 1, 2014 08:12

Did they play Adams Apple in Berlin? Anyone know?

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: July 1, 2014 08:25

pepganzo

Agreed, though I haven't given it the recommended dozen or so spins. The best track was the cover, found on (I think) the Walmart version and Japanese import - "Standing on Shaky Ground." The real tragedy with this album, after the years spent working on it and the huge drama, is that it will probably be their last.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-01 08:50 by DeanGoodman.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 1, 2014 08:43

Sure the classic 70's albums are great, but they are very classic American 1970's rock, and quite outdated in my opinion.

I've always thought Nine Lives was fantastic -sure its over-produced, but the album is hard rock with a trippy athmosphere. The fantastic Ain't That A Bitch is one of their best songs ever, and The Farm one of Tyler's best ever deliveries.

Get a Grip was fantastic when it came out, but for some reason it hasn't aged as well IMO.

Mathijs

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1674
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home