Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: The Greatest Rock N Roll Band IIn The World...
Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: June 21, 2014 14:40

RoyalPurpleStones

My limited experience here tells me that there are some here who were actually once fans of the band, but (by definition) no longer are. The definition of the word "fan" implies a certain amount of enthusiasm and devotion for said subject. When you have little or no enthusiasm or devotion for something chances are you are not a fan of it. Many here who think they are still fans are (in reality) really not by definition. Not judging this poster (only he/she truly know for sure) but a lack of enthusiasm is definitely a red flag.

I don't really agree with this. To me being a fan carries a passion with it where one can look at things from a critical perspective, despite the recent assertion I've seen by others that criticism is tantamount to hate. Or, a personal favorite, an example of Man's inhumanity to Man.

I love the band, I've seen them 37 times, flew to Germany with little hope of hearing anything that I haven't heard before. Mick proved me wrong -- thanks for Waiting On A Friend. I've devoted a good portion of my life to them. A friend of mine and I discuss our favorite Mick-isms on bootlegs.

All that being said, they simply aren't as great as they once were. For a long time I would always justify things by saying "they've given us so much great music they can do whatever they want" -- that rationale is wearing thin. Recently I've enjoyed seeing the word "dirty" to describe the playing, or Keith's "rearranging" of Start Me Up. Nonsense. It's called screwing up. Let's not delude ourselves.

"Best show ever" or "One for the ages" -- recent descriptions of shows. I'm just as guilty as anyone else of overblowing shows I've been to. Case in point, Philadelphia #1 in 2005. I thought it was great at the time - I was right on top of them. Listening back to that show and I hear it's not that good. Very sloppy, or should I say "dirty"? I should say I've never seen them be bad.

I don't think this is the ultimate humiliation for Mick Taylor. My opinion is they just don't feel like trying to find other spots to fit him into. I never thought I would get to hear him play Can't Your Hear Me Knocking with them but that happened one year ago today. They're a different band when he's on stage with them.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: June 21, 2014 17:00

Stoneage wrote - and I say...

1- "Everything has its time."

Of course.

2- "Rock and roll is soon to render the same faith as jazz or blues. A marginalized form of art music played for the very few."

Not exactly. Because rock and roll, after it's birth, had taken up different forms of music, like the particular you mention. Today I don't see a really "leveller" form. There is an incredible variety and musical welter around. There are rooms for various forms. And rock's room is much, much bigger, compared to the rooms of blues or jazz, decades ago. Very few are selling albums today, in the downloading era. But you can still see a notable number of rock albums hiting the Top -10 of Global Chart. Something like that was unimaginable as for, say so, jazz albums during 60s or 70s. And, even in the last years, the big majority of the bands/artists who fill stadiums and arenas are coming from the spectrum of R'n R.

3- "If I turn on a radio station these days I hear very little rock and roll but, instead, very much computerized boy band- and hip hop music"

Generally speaking, yes. But there are radio stations where the situation is better. Hmmm... "Boy bands"... Yes, but what about their "longevity"? In the late 80s New Kids On the Block was a "huge" act. These days the Stones are doing another successful tour and I'm sure that a big part of their newer, youngest audiences don't even know that 25 years ago there was a band named "New Kids Of the Block"..

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 22, 2014 00:34

RomanCandle
Aquamarine
Er, Keith Richards is a rather important figure in the origin, development, identity, and popularity of the Rolling Stones over five decades, without whom there IS no Rolling Stones, period.

I feel like I personally owe the Stones decades of joy, but that's an individual thing. However much I spent on shows and records, they gave me more back in other ways, put it like that.

So it's not about MUSIC, people want to see legends and that's all. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Of course it's about music. What in the part you've highlighted is about anything other than the music? Let me spell it out: KR is a crucial figure in the origin, development, identity and popularity of the Rolling Stones' music. The Stones being a music band and not, say, a chain of shepherd's pie joints (though I'm sure Keith would have been a crucial factor there, too grinning smiley ).

Re: The Greatest Rock N Roll Band In The World...
Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: June 22, 2014 13:38

ROPS
'The Greatest Rock N Roll Band IIn The World'???
From 69 to 73 yeah,nowdays not even in the top ten,at this time just a nostalgia trip.....

Why do you say that??? I don't understand!!!

The Rolling Stones are and will be forever The Greatest Rock 'N' Roll Band In The World!!! hot smiley>grinning smiley<hot smiley>grinning smiley<hot smiley

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: June 22, 2014 14:09

Aquamarine
RomanCandle
Aquamarine
Er, Keith Richards is a rather important figure in the origin, development, identity, and popularity of the Rolling Stones over five decades, without whom there IS no Rolling Stones, period.

I feel like I personally owe the Stones decades of joy, but that's an individual thing. However much I spent on shows and records, they gave me more back in other ways, put it like that.

So it's not about MUSIC, people want to see legends and that's all. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Of course it's about music. What in the part you've highlighted is about anything other than the music? Let me spell it out: KR is a crucial figure in the origin, development, identity and popularity of the Rolling Stones' music. The Stones being a music band and not, say, a chain of shepherd's pie joints (though I'm sure Keith would have been a crucial factor there, too grinning smiley ).

Keith WAS a great artist.
In 2014, the legacy remains but if he wasn't Keith Richards, you wouldn't pay to see something like this:

video: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-22 14:11 by RomanCandle.

Posted by: mudbone ()
Date: June 22, 2014 16:15

man...ronnie blew taylor away at pinkpop. Taylor sounded like a good bluesplayer, one you might find in your local bluesclub. Keith and ronnie sounded like superstars...just special!

A force..not just music. that's why they still are and probably will always be the greatest r'r band in the world.

No one plays this music better..loose, exciting, powerful, full of life, spontanious
ect.... never once the same!!!

suck on that for a while.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 22, 2014 16:31

Mudbone
No one plays this music better..loose, exciting, powerful, full of life, spontanious

Now you are kidding me! I have heard amateur Stones tribute bands playing some of their songs better than them! "Never once the same"
- well, listen to all versions of JJFlash, TD or SMU since 1989 and point out the significant differences to me....

Posted by: Starr ()
Date: June 22, 2014 16:53

RoyalPurpleStones

Straycat13
...The ROLLING STONES!!!

(We are so lucky!)

smileys with beer

The Greatest Rock 'N Roll Band Of All Time putting on The Greatest Show On Earth! It doesn't get any sweeter than this. They have been bringing me joy for 50 years.smileys with beer

smileys with beer

Star

Date: June 22, 2014 17:07

mudbone

I think Charlie and Ron are still great, but The Stones are not what they used to be.

It's not exciting, powerful, full of life, , it's boring, they sound like robots.
Jagger and Richards TRY to act spontanious.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 22, 2014 17:22

RomanCandle
mudbone

I think Charlie and Ron are still great, but The Stones are not what they used to be.

It's not exciting, powerful, full of life, , it's boring, they sound like robots.
Jagger and Richards TRY to act spontanious.

with apologies, I think you've misfired here Roman Candle.

seems as though you're 'flaming out'.

Date: June 22, 2014 18:35

I might sound "angry" or rude but I didn't want to create a polemic.
And I don't want to offend anyone here.

I'm not as exasperated as I sound, the Stones are not a huge part of my life, but their laziness and self-indulgence bores me, that's all. winking smiley

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: June 22, 2014 18:53

RomanCandle
Aquamarine
RomanCandle
Aquamarine

In 2014, the legacy remains but if he wasn't Keith Richards, you wouldn't pay to see something like this:

I would pay to see Muddy Waters, Son House, Howlin Wolf (and many others) if they played like Keith plays these days. Would not go to see Chuck Berry anymore, however.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 22, 2014 20:05

RomanCandle
I might sound "angry" or rude but I didn't want to create a polemic.
And I don't want to offend anyone here.

I'm not as exasperated as I sound, the Stones are not a huge part of my life, but their laziness and self-indulgence bores me, that's all. winking smiley

no offense on my end, I was just messin' with ya! smileys with beer

Posted by: Crazyhorse ()
Date: June 22, 2014 20:41

Well, I never intended to start a war with this post. An opinion really more on the Stones live than all the studio albums. I was brought up around many genres of music at an early age and started seeing live shows from age 11. The Stones just give me some other great feeling inside when I see them live that I don't really get from other bands and maybe I've been very lucky but they've never let me down with a bad performance. And regarding genres of music...there's really only two, Good & Bad. But thank God we're not all the same otherwise we would be living in a sorry place. Keep rocking whoever floats your boat

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: June 22, 2014 21:31

Back to the original question. I guess it depends how you define rock'n'roll. If broadly, as "rock music", then there are numerous candidates. If more narrowly, as the 3-chord music most of us imagine as "rock'n'roll", then the Stones don't have much competition.

Date: June 22, 2014 23:33

RomanCandle
Aquamarine
RomanCandle
Aquamarine

Even if I agreed with your point here (which I don't, for various reasons), it doesn't counteract anything I said about Keith being a crucial figure in their origin, development, identity and popularity. Give it up! grinning smiley

Date: June 23, 2014 00:26

Aquamarine
RomanCandle
Aquamarine
RomanCandle
Aquamarine

Even if I agreed with your point here (which I don't, for various reasons), it doesn't counteract anything I said about Keith being a crucial figure in their origin, development, identity and popularity. Give it up! grinning smiley

I didn't say you were wrong on this point. grinning smiley

Date: June 23, 2014 00:54

Then why quote it in order to make the distinction that Keith WAS a great artist, implying that the point may have applied in the past but not now (whereas obviously it makes no difference what anybody thinks of his abilities now, it's pretty incontrovertible that he's been an essential figure to the band)? On second thought, never mind!

Back to the topic--it seems to me almost impossible to say whether the Stones are the greatest etc., because they're in a category entirely of their own, in terms of quality (at various stages in their development), longevity, evolution, etc., and just generally as figures on the world stage (musically and culturally). They have no real peers, and thus nobody to compare them to.

Date: June 23, 2014 01:00

Stoneage
Mudbone

Now you are kidding me! I have heard amateur Stones tribute bands playing some of their songs better than them! "Never once the same"
- well, listen to all versions of JJFlash, TD or SMU since 1989 and point out the significant differences to me....

it's very jazzy...not like coldplay. know what i mean

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 23, 2014 10:12

All right, let's put it this way. They are no longer the most exciting, mind blowing Greatest Rock And Roll Band In the World. I think Springsteen, for one, is playing at a higher energy level now than the Stones are currently. (And I don't think it's going to get better).

The Stones rock and roll has slowed down to waltz time. They're 70 Years Old! Muddy, and Wolf and John Lee didn't have to try play music at that age that was originally played a lot faster. Put on Get Off My Cloud from Got Live If You Want It, and then listen to it played now. If we still had record players you'd say it was like playing a 45 at 33 and a 3rd.

But, that reality being stated, unless something comes on the horizon, highly unlikely, the Rolling Stones will forever be the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World. They did it with songs and longevity. Led Zeppelin, The Police, Aerosmith, they all had their shot, but they didn't last. The Rolling Stones greatness on record lasted about 25 years. That alone is way beyond any of the others. Did any of the other groups have top ten hits 18 years apart?

You could also say they had about a 35 year arc of greatness on stage before it began to fall of gradually until it's almost come to a halt. We know this is the end. Unless they can find a whole new planet of suckers who ain't heard Tumblin' Dice yet. The point is that they will always be The Greatest Rock and Roll Band In The World on past laurels alone.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: June 23, 2014 10:48

24FPS
All right, let's put it this way. They are no longer the most exciting, mind blowing Greatest Rock And Roll Band In the World. I think Springsteen, for one, is playing at a higher energy level now than the Stones are currently. (And I don't think it's going to get better).

The Stones rock and roll has slowed down to waltz time. They're 70 Years Old! Muddy, and Wolf and John Lee didn't have to try play music at that age that was originally played a lot faster. Put on Get Off My Cloud from Got Live If You Want It, and then listen to it played now. If we still had record players you'd say it was like playing a 45 at 33 and a 3rd.

But, that reality being stated, unless something comes on the horizon, highly unlikely, the Rolling Stones will forever be the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World. They did it with songs and longevity. Led Zeppelin, The Police, Aerosmith, they all had their shot, but they didn't last. The Rolling Stones greatness on record lasted about 25 years. That alone is way beyond any of the others. Did any of the other groups have top ten hits 18 years apart?

You could also say they had about a 35 year arc of greatness on stage before it began to fall of gradually until it's almost come to a halt. We know this is the end. Unless they can find a whole new planet of suckers who ain't heard Tumblin' Dice yet. The point is that they will always be The Greatest Rock and Roll Band In The World on past laurels alone.

They will always be the greatest rock and roll band the world has ever known.

They aren't right now, but today's 'greatest' (U2, Coldplay, Arcade Fire etc -YOU ALL know all the "pretenders"!) have not in any shape or form come close to the greatness The Stones once climbed to.

Bruce/E S Band ARE great, as one of my all time 2 favourites, but they aren't really a rock and roll band. they are rock and soul and/or just rock...splitting hairs I know.

But to me, if you want music to think to you play Bruce, if you want to JUST FEEL music and feel great, play The Stones...the greatest rock and roll band to have ever walked the earth, and NEVER to be bettered.!

Posted by: gipsy12 ()
Date: June 23, 2014 13:22

bitusa2012
24FPS

They aren't right now, but today's 'greatest' (U2, Coldplay, Arcade Fire etc -YOU ALL know all the "pretenders"!) have not in any shape or form come close to the greatness The Stones once climbed to.

Bruce/E S Band ARE great, as one of my all time 2 favourites, but they aren't really a rock and roll band. they are rock and soul and/or just rock...splitting hairs I know.

But to me, if you want music to think to you play Bruce, if you want to JUST FEEL music and feel great, play The Stones...the greatest rock and roll band to have ever walked the earth, and NEVER to be bettered.!

+ 1 thumbs up

Date: June 23, 2014 15:41

gipsy12
bitusa2012
24FPS

+ 1 thumbs up

Anyone with two ears and a rock and roll heart simply can't argue with this

Posted by: Crazyhorse ()
Date: June 25, 2014 01:25

I would rather feel the music and dance than study lyrics. I've seen Dylan many times & though I love some of his albums I can't see me trying to shake a tail feather to Masters of War winking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 25, 2014 01:41

I can't see me trying to shake a tail feather to Masters of War

.... probably got more hope with that one than The Death Of Hattie Carroll

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 25, 2014 04:02

RoyalPurpleStones
Thrylan
Jack White, Jack White, Jack White.......... I like him, he's creative, kind of, and he's pretty ordinary. I don't get all the love here.....I don't think he's our production answer, as was stated in another thread. Befuddling....

I don't know. Seems many think he is the answer. I say give the kid a shot.
so it's now safe to assume Jagger already said: "give the kid a shot?"

Date: June 25, 2014 04:16

Nikkei
RoyalPurpleStones
Thrylan
Jack White, Jack White, Jack White.......... I like him, he's creative, kind of, and he's pretty ordinary. I don't get all the love here.....I don't think he's our production answer, as was stated in another thread. Befuddling....

I don't know. Seems many think he is the answer. I say give the kid a shot.

confused smiley

Date: June 25, 2014 05:01

Aquamarine
Nikkei

confused smiley
for a moment i thought i might have stumbled upon the newest incarnation of that certain guy who expresses himself by writing uppercase like: "...what they are (arguably) is The Greatest Rock 'N Roll Band Of All Time that still puts on The Greatest Show On Earth." he always knows what's up!

Posted by: lippmann ()
Date: June 25, 2014 12:37

hm,hm....,they sound like robots today , try to act spontaneus, hm hm..., last thursday my wife and me got 2 hours with them, 40000 people in a stadium, a stage as big as the club, i would like to see them much more, i´ve seen them first in 73 and i swear i dont know why, how this band could hold this quality 40 years after that. i swear i dont know why.
i wish that everybody that speaks on that forum,would have seen them there, in this absolutely great shape, in düsseldorf.greetings gerhard (hi frank, we know what we seen!)

Date: June 25, 2014 18:29

lippmann
last thursday my wife and me got 2 hours with them, 40000 people in a stadium, a stage as big as the club, i would like to see them much more, i´ve seen them first in 73 and i swear i dont know why, how this band could hold this quality 40 years after that. i swear i dont know why.
i wish that everybody that speaks on that forum,would have seen them there, in this absolutely great shape, in düsseldorf.greetings gerhard (hi frank, we know what we seen!)
würde ich genauso unterschreiben. wer in düsseldorf war, weiss bescheid. bescheid dass die youtube-kritiker selber schuld sind wenn sie nicht hingehen. dabeisein ist alles!

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1762
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home