Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT-ish: 'Like A Rolling Stone' Lyrics Sold
Date: June 25, 2014 07:11

So this is sort of off topic, but since the Stones covered LARS (and hopefully will tomorrow!), I felt like I should add '-ish- at the end. Anyways, according to Rolling Stone, a draft of LARS was sold for $2.045 Million (USD) on Tuesday by Sotheby's by an unidentified bidder. According to the article,

Jon Blistein (for Rolling Stone)
The lyrics were sold to an unidentified bidder at auction house Sotheby's, who called the sale a world record for a popular music manuscript, according to Associated Press.

Written in pencil on four sheets of hotel stationary, Sotheby's described the item as "the only known surviving draft of the final lyrics for this transformative rock anthem." Still, the sheets do feature some lyrics that didn't make the final cut, including the phrase, "…dry vermouth/You'll tell the truth" and an abandoned line about Al Capone. The lyrics also show Dylan's various attempts to build a rhyme off of the "How does it feel" line with phrases like, "it feels real," "does it feel real," "get down and kneel," "raw deal" and "shut up and deal." The draft — written at the Roger Smith Hotel in Washington D.C. — also boasts some of Dylan's stray thoughts and doodles.

The item was already expected to fetch between $1 million and $2 million at Sotheby's rock and pop sale, dubbed, "History of Rock and Roll From Presley to Punk." And while the seller was not identified, the auction house called him a "longtime fan from California" who bought the manuscript directly from Dylan.

Two pages of Dylan's handwritten lyrics for "A Hard Rain's a-Gonna Fall" also sold at the same auction. While that item featured the song's lyrics in their finished form, they also include a quotation from the biblical book of Jeremiah ("Before I formed you in the womb, I knew and approved of you") and the notation "diamond desert" in the margins of the second verse.

According to BaebleMusic, Sotheby's has also auctioned off Paul McCartney's original manuscript for "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" ($250,000-350,000), a guitar smashed in concert circa. 1989 by Kurt Cobain ($30,000-40,000), Elvis' 1974 peacock jumpsuit ($200,000-300,000), a 1988 U2 Grammy award ($10,000-15,000), among others.

Re: OT-ish: 'Like A Rolling Stone' Lyrics Sold
Posted by: Athena ()
Date: June 26, 2014 07:38

Heard about it on the news tonite, they showed pics, looked like quite a piece of work with doodles & all, said the buyer was based in California. Wow, wish I'd find something like that! winking smiley

Greek Goddess of Wisdom, Skill...& War

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1661
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home