Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: A new studio almum? Is this credible ?
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 14, 2014 13:32

24FPS
They would need big time instrumental help to do an at least artistically pleasing album. Doom & Gloom is a good example. They pulled off an interesting sound, using their limitations, but it wouldn't work over 12 cuts. They need new blood in the studio, just like they need it on stage. Jack White produced, with Mick Taylor, and even Billy Wyman participating. Jack's got some great piano players working for him.

At this point, I'm about as excited about the Stones in the studio as I am about their setlists and backing musicians. And, if their past behavior is any indication, they'll be just as stubborn about mucking up their studio work. More Mick Jagger on bass?

Agreed, the backing of additional musicians/several producers is certainly what made B2B stand out (ok, it has a few more memorable songs too) compared to VL and ABB.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 14, 2014 19:40

KRiffhard
“It would be nice to have a new album, but people don’t like the new album when you play it on stage,” Jagger told USA Today. “They glumly look at you. ‘OK, it will be over in a minute.’ It’s not a good excuse, but it’s the truth and has to be said.”

Dear Mick, people don't like a new album if the new album is like A Bigger Bang or is similar to Goddess in the doorway.

I guess if you're going to sell out as big as possible for the biggest price from the lowest common denominator audience, you have to play exactly what they want to hear.

I miss the old Stones that would play the current album they were trying to plug, throw in a few warhorses, a Chuck Berry number, and then leave without an encore! People could stomp and clap and demand, but the Stones were already gliding off in the limo, having a bump, cracking a cold one and lighting up a doob. I miss the 'f&*# you' Stones instead of the bowed, "Yes, sir, no sir, I'll play Honky Tonk Woman, right now" Stones. I prefer Danger Stones to Family Friendly Stones.

Date: June 14, 2014 20:39

24FPS
I don't think Bob sounds at all like he's repeating himself, and I think that's one of the reasons he receives so much latter day critical acclaim. The Stones used to lead the pack. They use to have interesting side musicians to have extra color to their sound. Sugar Blue comes to mind, Sonny Rollins.

At this point I have no faith the Stones will pull off something new and interesting, beyond maybe a cut or two, ala Rough Justice or Doom & Gloom. Keith can't play, period. He's having a hard enough time hitting close to most of the notes on the intros of songs he's played a thousand times. The Stones would need some musical help. Keith can still sing. He just needs to quit thinking he's written a new song if it starts with a couple Chuck Berry notes.

They would have to drop their stubbornness and pull in other musicians who could fatten up the sound. The Stones would still be the crux of the music, but they really need more around the edges. An interesting piano player. If Bill won't go along with them, then get a bass player with some soul, not a Stingish jazz doodler who adds no emotional depth, no roll to the rock.

They have shown no artistic bravery on this tour. Are we to believe they will when it comes to making an album? Or will they just make something that they will think, erroneously, sounds enough like Classic Stones, that the less knowledgeable critics will slobber over? In fact, why put that pressure on them? Except for a handful of cuts, their recording career ended with Steel Wheels. It's enough. Go play your hits for the tourists around the world with money to burn, and then relax and enjoy what you got left.

I have no problem with them flooding the studio with an assortment of side musicians. Whatever it takes to produce a few new blockbusters along the lines of Gimme Shelter, Midnight Rambler, Street Fighting Man, Jumpin Jack Flash, Out Of Control, Saint Of Me, Sympathy For The Devil. Moonlight Mile, When The Whip Comes Down, etc., etc.. The key is no matter how many side musicians you bring into the mix, stay true to your identity. It works for Bob Dylan and it will work for the Stones.

Re-introducing Out Of Control to the setlist was a huge step in the right direction and hints at some flexibility. Let's hope this carries over into the studio.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-14 20:42 by RoyalPurpleStones.

Date: June 14, 2014 20:48

KRiffhard
“It would be nice to have a new album, but people don’t like the new album when you play it on stage,” Jagger told USA Today. “They glumly look at you. ‘OK, it will be over in a minute.’ It’s not a good excuse, but it’s the truth and has to be said.”

Dear Mick, people don't like a new album if the new album is like A Bigger Bang or is similar to Goddess in the doorway.

Anything close (in style) to the Some Girls bonus tracks, Exile, or even Bridges, would be fine by me. There were a few moments on ABB, but that was about it.

Date: June 14, 2014 20:53

24FPS
KRiffhard

I guess if you're going to sell out as big as possible for the biggest price from the lowest common denominator audience, you have to play exactly what they want to hear.

I miss the old Stones that would play the current album they were trying to plug, throw in a few warhorses, a Chuck Berry number, and then leave without an encore! People could stomp and clap and demand, but the Stones were already gliding off in the limo, having a bump, cracking a cold one and lighting up a doob. I miss the 'f&*# you' Stones instead of the bowed, "Yes, sir, no sir, I'll play Honky Tonk Woman, right now" Stones. I prefer Danger Stones to Family Friendly Stones.

Mick just needs to get the audience involved in any new songs they might play, and (if played often enough) they will take off. We are now seeing exactly that with Out Of Control.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-14 21:00 by RoyalPurpleStones.

Date: June 14, 2014 20:55

I sure miss Jimmy Miller. I think the Stones do to.

Re: A new studio album? Is this credible ?
Posted by: bryanoakville ()
Date: June 15, 2014 00:11

Please. You guys just can't be pleased.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 15, 2014 01:16

RoyalPurpleStones
24FPS
KRiffhard

Mick just needs to get the audience involved in any new songs they might play, and (if played often enough) they will take off. We are now seeing exactly that with Out Of Control.

God, how old are we getting, that we think a 17-year-old song is new in the Stones setlist?

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: June 15, 2014 02:32

Stones should put out an EP and call it Five by Five. Who is #5? This would be Chuck or Darryl

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 15, 2014 03:56

KRiffhard

You know what's really truly funny about Mick saying that (other than anything they did pre-1989 live that is)? That line of crap he used back when FORTY LICKS or A BIGGER BANG came out that the Stones are still doing new songs and aren't some nostalgia act like The Beach Boys (perhaps Mick didn't understand that it wasn't the actual Beach Boys but point made).

Uh huh.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 15, 2014 04:20

^ Even funnier still is that the Beach Boys--the real Beach Boys--have since come up with the goods and toured behind a new album, and a rather good one at that.

Date: June 15, 2014 05:48

bryanoakville
Please. You guys just can't be pleased.

I think most everyone is pretty happy at the moment. I am sure once we hear that the Stones are in the studio again most of us are going to be quite excited to see what they come up with. I know I will be.

Date: June 15, 2014 05:55

stonehearted
^ Even funnier still is that the Beach Boys--the real Beach Boys--have since come up with the goods and toured behind a new album, and a rather good one at that.

What's funny is that the "real" Beach Boys lasted as long as their 50th anniversary tour then dissolved forever. The Stones day in the studio is coming.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 15, 2014 05:58

RoyalPurpleStones
24FPS
KRiffhard

I think that's exactly right. It's too bad they can't do that more with new material, but its great when it does happen.

Date: June 15, 2014 06:10

treaclefingers
RoyalPurpleStones
24FPS
KRiffhard

I think that's exactly right. It's too bad they can't do that more with new material, but its great when it does happen.
To me, that's what 'One More Shot' seemed like, with the whole 'Na na na, na na na, na na' part, Mick trying to get some audience participation. Too bad they seem to have limited the 'new' material to just the rocking 'Doom & Gloom'...

Date: June 15, 2014 06:13

treaclefingers
RoyalPurpleStones
24FPS
KRiffhard

They should consider that when they are in the studio and recording new music-write songs with audience participation in mind. A few shows back the audience was humming to the intro of Out Of Control and Mick responded accordingly. He should encourage the audience to hum along every time they perform it. The song is gaining momentum in the setlist and Mick should seize the moment at each and every show. It's on it's way to becoming a classic.

Date: June 15, 2014 06:16

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
treaclefingers
RoyalPurpleStones
24FPS
KRiffhard

To me, that's what 'One More Shot' seemed like, with the whole 'Na na na, na na na, na na' part, Mick trying to get some audience participation. Too bad they seem to have limited the 'new' material to just the rocking 'Doom & Gloom'...

I actually like One More Shot better than Doom And Gloom. Not sure why they put it on the shelf, but I think it has more potential live than D&G. Sly Stone thought enough of it to put it in his latest movie Grudge Match.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 15, 2014 06:19

RoyalPurpleStones
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
treaclefingers
RoyalPurpleStones
24FPS
KRiffhard

I actually like One More Shot better than Doom And Gloom. Not sure why they put it on the shelf, but I think it has more potential live than D&G. Sly Stone thought enough of it to put it in his latest movie Grudge Match.

I preferred the studio version of D&G to OMS, but live I thought OMS sounded better than D&G.

Posted by: Felix0452 ()
Date: June 15, 2014 17:30

Thanks for all of the above and for your personal opinions. I didn't think that my question would have created such an interest.
Keep on rockin !

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: June 15, 2014 17:40

Personally I would rather they didn;t record a new album. ABB was dire in every way and more of that is diluting their prvious brilliant recording history. However, should they make the obvious choice to record a fine album of country, R&B and reggae songs then I'm first in line with my cash.

Jagger and Richards as song writing entities are done. There comes a point for all song writers when whether it is a time and place thing or some other factor, output drops significantly in quality and for them it happened in 1977. Yes, there have been odd flashes of brilliance over the decades but the prolific output of quality music has been fading since that point and 2014 isn't goin to be the year where they come up with another album worthy of their status.

So, the obvious way forward to please themselves as performers and us as fans is to go back to what they love hence R&B, blues, COuntry, Reggae, even a bit of jazz in there and record their favourite songs, stripped back a la 'Stripped'. I am sure it would be a success with both sritics and fans alike and it's the one thing they haven't done that I've been waiting for. Perfect timing in the timeline of their careers and could easily be taken on the road as a smaller venue setlist.

But please, no more attempts at rock songs, Doom and Gloom just about cut it but 70 year olds writing rock songs isn't the way forward.

Date: June 15, 2014 18:08

If the Stones had stopped after UNDERCOVER and the final bow with REWIND and then decided to do a comeback with a new LP it makes the most sense that the one LP should be BRIDGES TO BABYLON. Because between U and BTB there was barely anything that was very good and BTB was a well rounded LP for the most part.

What I found annoying about the LICKS release was that

1. Don't Stop was the only song played live of the 4 new songs (which says a lot in a way considering they at one point did play both of all 2 new songs from what should've been called FIFTY LICKS).

2. It was 4 new songs, 2 of which were decent (Don't Stop, Losing My Touch - I like Keith's soft touch as it basically fits in with what he did on BRIDGES. Yeah I know it's not as good but it's got the right vibe), which means it should've been 2 new songs.

3. The 4 new songs weakened the value of the hits comp by replacing 4 hits/singles/LP faves. What should've/could've been on it is She's So Cold, Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker), Waiting On A Friend and... I dunno, Hang Fire. You get the point.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 15, 2014 18:25

well, jagger has a new girlfriend. so, no, i dont think so no.........

anyway, hope not because the most recent written songs are not very good imo.

Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-15 18:25 by corriecas.

Date: June 15, 2014 18:28

Felix0452
Thanks for all of the above and for your personal opinions. I didn't think that my question would have created such an interest.
Keep on rockin !

Great thread.smileys with beer

Date: June 15, 2014 18:28

He does?

Not that I've read.

Date: June 15, 2014 18:31

crumbling_mice
Personally I would rather they didn;t record a new album. ABB was dire in every way and more of that is diluting their prvious brilliant recording history. However, should they make the obvious choice to record a fine album of country, R&B and reggae songs then I'm first in line with my cash.

Jagger and Richards as song writing entities are done. There comes a point for all song writers when whether it is a time and place thing or some other factor, output drops significantly in quality and for them it happened in 1977. Yes, there have been odd flashes of brilliance over the decades but the prolific output of quality music has been fading since that point and 2014 isn't goin to be the year where they come up with another album worthy of their status.

So, the obvious way forward to please themselves as performers and us as fans is to go back to what they love hence R&B, blues, COuntry, Reggae, even a bit of jazz in there and record their favourite songs, stripped back a la 'Stripped'. I am sure it would be a success with both sritics and fans alike and it's the one thing they haven't done that I've been waiting for. Perfect timing in the timeline of their careers and could easily be taken on the road as a smaller venue setlist.

But please, no more attempts at rock songs, Doom and Gloom just about cut it but 70 year olds writing rock songs isn't the way forward.

I wholeheartedly agree, but how about just one more rocker for the road entitled, "Old Rooster Still Crowing," or maybe, "Old Rooster Still Strutting?"

Date: June 15, 2014 18:48

GasLightStreet
If the Stones had stopped after UNDERCOVER and the final bow with REWIND and then decided to do a comeback with a new LP it makes the most sense that the one LP should be BRIDGES TO BABYLON. Because between U and BTB there was barely anything that was very good and BTB was a well rounded LP for the most part.

What I found annoying about the LICKS release was that

1. Don't Stop was the only song played live of the 4 new songs (which says a lot in a way considering they at one point did play both of all 2 new songs from what should've been called FIFTY LICKS).

2. It was 4 new songs, 2 of which were decent (Don't Stop, Losing My Touch - I like Keith's soft touch as it basically fits in with what he did on BRIDGES. Yeah I know it's not as good but it's got the right vibe), which means it should've been 2 new songs.

3. The 4 new songs weakened the value of the hits comp by replacing 4 hits/singles/LP faves. What should've/could've been on it is She's So Cold, Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker), Waiting On A Friend and... I dunno, Hang Fire. You get the point.

Very interesting perspective.

For me it's pretty simple. They have but one shot left. The Some Girls bonus tracks would have been a great album to close with, but the problem is, those songs (for the most part) were written ages ago. Doom And Gloom was OK, but to me it came across as the Stones (Mick) attempting to be progressive and trying to appeal to today's younger generation of rock 'n rollers. Same for ABB for the most part.

A real roll of the dice would be to just do an entire album of blues "opera" (ala Midnight Rambler). A Safer bet might be to take a stab at doing a sequel to Exile. Better to copy yourself rather than copy others. The bottom line is, they have the winning formula, they just need to re-visit it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-15 18:53 by RoyalPurpleStones.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: June 15, 2014 18:54

New songs and a new album? Yes please.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 15, 2014 18:55

GasLightStreet
He does?

Not that I've read.

Zurich lover, brunette, 27 years old.

Jeroen

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: June 15, 2014 18:57

...playing Some Girls Deluxe would be a thrill....they aren't going to do that. Its now a musical review..a revival...a wind up or wind down...depending on your point of view...they're done with risk taking...they don't need to do it....and anything they do now will be compared to what they've done which...lets face it....fell flat with ABB. One could always hope however....and I hope they do release new material.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: June 15, 2014 19:07

24FPS
KRiffhard

Yeah, this post is spot on. Back in the day when they were still a band they could do this, put together a coherent album that was the core of the set throw in a few of the hits and not answer to anyone. Now they are what they used to make fun of other bands for being. I mean, they do a great job of it, not saying they don't put on a great show and that it's not remarkable they can play and sing etc. at the level they do. But a new studio album? That would require a working creative entity, which they are not. I'm looking forward to hearing some studio stuff from these guys not constrained by the Stones (solo or in combo).

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 825
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home