Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: A new studio album? Is this credible ?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 17, 2014 08:30

I don't particularly understand all the opposition to the Stones' current shows/possibility of a new album-it's not like anyone's forcing you to buy tickets or buy all their new music, right?

Simple... they just love ta sook and try ta make everyone else as miserable as themselves

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: June 17, 2014 09:11

There was an interview with Mick in one of those free special edition newspapers they did for the Vienna gig (It may just be cobbled together from previous interviews), Mick mentions they want to do something but he can't see them doing a full album anymore.

Date: June 17, 2014 19:45

Lorenz
There was an interview with Mick in one of those free special edition newspapers they did for the Vienna gig (It may just be cobbled together from previous interviews), Mick mentions they want to do something but he can't see them doing a full album anymore.

I refuse to believe this. If this is true then I am devastated.

Date: June 17, 2014 21:23

The one thing that has always concerned me (regarding decision making for the band) is Mick's apparent lack of sentimentality. It appeared he had to be shown how historically important the 50th anniversary celebration was. He even joked about calling it The F**k Off tour. He has always leaned toward making the Stones a more progressive band (which in reality really amounts to copying others) rather than staying true to their roots (as Keith would have had it). Now, if this is true (that he has no plans to ever record a full album again) then I think he is making a huge mistake. One I am certain he would come to regret ten years or so down the road. I hope somebody can get to him and make him understand how important it is for the Stones to record that one final album to close out their career with. They have built a tremendous amount of momentum beginning with the 50th anniversary and it would be a crying shame not to capitalize on that momentum by recording a new studio album. The live shows are fabulous, but the critics are ultimately going to chew them up for not producing any new music in the last decade or so of their career aside from the two recent "rushed" works.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-17 23:31 by RoyalPurpleStones.

Posted by: Gooo ()
Date: June 17, 2014 22:57

Put these on a cd and call it a new cd

Don't stop
Keys to your love
Stealing my heart
Losing my touch
Under the radar
Don't wanna go home
Doom and gloom
One more shot

Date: June 17, 2014 23:39

If the Stones don't do a new album I am just going to combine my favorites of the Exile and Some Girls bonus tracks and create my own "last great album."

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: June 17, 2014 23:50

RoyalPurpleStones
If the Stones don't do a new album I am just going to combine my favorites of the Exile and Some Girls bonus tracks and create my own "last great album."

That's what the Stones should have done themselves if they were smart, a Tattoo You 2. Would have moved more product than burying all that great material on special editions that only diehards would notice. Especially since Mick redid almost all the vocals anyway. Then, instead of trotting out Doom and Gloom(and One More Shot last year) around the globe every show, they would have an album's worth of better songs to promote live, and all the guitarists to play them.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: June 17, 2014 23:51

Gooo

Don't stop
Keys to your love
Stealing my heart
Losing my touch
Under the radar
Don't wanna go home
Doom and gloom
One more shot

I did this and added "Watching The River Flow" & "Worried Life Blues" from the Ben Waters album, tacked "Hurricane" on at the end and with a little creative sequencing it turned out to be a fairly enjoyable album. The 40 Licks songs sound much better in this context where they don't have to compete with 36 of the best rock tracks ever recorded. The others are all pretty good songs in their own right. I throw this on quite often.

Ross

Posted by: Gooo ()
Date: June 18, 2014 00:14

Ross
Gooo

Don't stop
Keys to your love
Stealing my heart
Losing my touch
Under the radar
Don't wanna go home
Doom and gloom
One more shot

I did this and added "Watching The River Flow" & "Worried Life Blues" from the Ben Waters album, tacked "Hurricane" on at the end and with a little creative sequencing it turned out to be a fairly enjoyable album. The 40 Licks songs sound much better in this context where they don't have to compete with 36 of the best rock tracks ever recorded. The others are all pretty good songs in their own right. I throw this on quite often.

Ross

Good idea

Don't stop
Keys to your love
Stealing my heart
Losing my touch
Under the radar
Don't wanna go home
Doom and gloom
One more shot
Watching the river flow
Worried life blues
Hurricane

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 18, 2014 00:33

RoyalPurpleStones
Mick has always leaned toward making the Stones a more progressive band (which in reality really amounts to copying others) rather than staying true to their roots (as Keith would have had it).

Yes, Mick wants the Stones to live up their roots and be progressive. They never stood in one spot for long. That's why they've lasted so long. People who think they are just some hard rocking band that only existed from 1968-1972 are just dead wrong. They used to always take what was ever in the air and make it their own, from psychedelic to disco to reggae. Yes, they may have been a step behind the Beatles in the 60s, but they still tried, with often classic results. And they absolutely owned disco rock with the incredible Miss You.

Nobody wants to hear an album of Keith knocking off second tier Chuck Berry riffs. That's why Doom & Gloom was so great, and One More Shot equally not so. I love the Exile/Some Girls bonus cuts, but that's because we missed the classic Stones lineup with Bill & Mick Taylor. The songs themselves are all over the map stylistically. Bill was great with the marimba/steel drum sound on Don't Be A Stranger.

Come on, they're out of gas. It would be a miracle if they pulled together an entire album. Let them off the hook. Steel Wheels was their swan song, with barely a handful worth having afterward. And don't push them either, or we'll end up with a bad covers set, or a career ending 'Duets' album. Cheer up. There's probably some Sticky Fingers bonus cuts just waiting for release when this touring winds down.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: June 18, 2014 00:36

a blues album? it would be great.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: June 18, 2014 03:22

Rockman
I don't particularly understand all the opposition to the Stones' current shows/possibility of a new album-it's not like anyone's forcing you to buy tickets or buy all their new music, right?

Simple... they just love ta sook and try ta make everyone else as miserable as themselves

Rubbish.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 18, 2014 05:00

.... yeah I guess that's another name for it ...

ROCKMAN

Date: June 18, 2014 05:27

Rockman

Ah, a first sign of self-criticism?

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: June 18, 2014 05:49

I think I remember Ronnie stating they recorded 18 new tracks when they came up with the last two in 2012.

It's possible these guys will have a surprise for us soon. They are good at that.

This of course after another live DVD is released from these recent short tours.

Date: June 18, 2014 07:17

StonesCat
RoyalPurpleStones

That's what the Stones should have done themselves if they were smart, a Tattoo You 2. Would have moved more product than burying all that great material on special editions that only diehards would notice. Especially since Mick redid almost all the vocals anyway. Then, instead of trotting out Doom and Gloom(and One More Shot last year) around the globe every show, they would have an album's worth of better songs to promote live, and all the guitarists to play them.

Absolutely!thumbs up

Date: June 18, 2014 07:30

three16
I think I remember Ronnie stating they recorded 18 new tracks when they came up with the last two in 2012.

Ronnie! Yes...what can I say? He always confuses things a bit...it's not 18 new tracks, it's 18 bars of one new track.

It's possible these guys will have a surprise for us soon. They are good at that.

This of course after another live DVD is released from these recent short tours.

Yeah, it's gonna be called "Variations On A Scheme" - same show, same songs, but different faces in the audience plus -as a bonus- a (slightly) different stage design!

Re: A new studio almum? Is this credible ?
Posted by: Beauforde ()
Date: June 18, 2014 15:08

RoyalPurpleStones
24FPS
RoyalPurpleStones
24FPS
They would need big time instrumental help to do an at least artistically pleasing album. Doom & Gloom is a good example. They pulled off an interesting sound, using their limitations, but it wouldn't work over 12 cuts. They need new blood in the studio, just like they need it on stage. Jack White produced, with Mick Taylor, and even Billy Wyman participating. Jack's got some great piano players working for him.

At this point, I'm about as excited about the Stones in the studio as I am about their setlists and backing musicians. And, if their past behavior is any indication, they'll be just as stubborn about mucking up their studio work. More Mick Jagger on bass?

A Jack White produced Stones album has some interesting possibilities, however, if they listen closely to Uncle Don (Was) we will see a classic that we can all be proud of. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Stones doing a sequel to Exile. Or even something that rivals the Some Girls bonus tracks. They are the greatest band ever. They don't need to copy anyone but themselves.

We don't need them to 'be the Stones' and copy themselves. They did that way too much on Voodoo Lounge and A Bigger Bang, making songs that were pale remakes of earlier triumphs. They need to come up with something fresh that still has their essence. Of course we could be fooling ourselves. Bill pretty much ended the magic when he left. Chemistry is a very fragile thing. And face it, the best Stones music of the last 5 years are the gussied up bonus cuts when Bill was still on bass.

The Stones have a huge arsenal of songs that provide excellent models in which to build new creations. They don't need to try and put their own spin on what is popular at the moment in rock music. They don't need to look to other bands for their models, but rather to their own. I have no doubt if they could come up with something close (in style) to the recent Some Girls bonus tracks that they would enhance their legacy as artists. Heaven forbid if they could ever pull off another Exile. Out Of Control and Saint Of Me are two fabulous latter day Stones songs that are excellent examples of what a Stones song should be. Midnight Rambler is the "soul" of the Rolling Stones on display. I want to see more of that "soul" on display! Bob Dylan's songs today may sound similar to some of his songs from the past, but they are no less powerful. The Stones have written some of the most powerful songs in the history of rock 'n roll. They need not look beyond their own backyard.

i find it interesting to read the debate about whether the stones should copy themsleves or venture into new ground. i would just be happy if the stones as artists would take whatever inspiration is in the air for them and put something down for us that means something to them. if that is a blues cover album, cool. if that is a country-tinged album, with a bit of reggae, cool. it doesn't matter. the point is that the stones should, as old artists like johnny cash did, play what is in their hearts at the moment. nothing calculated to please "fans" or "critics". that is uninteresting. play what is in those old souls and we will love it. make it real. if what they play means something to them it will mean something to us.

and by all means consider rick rubin. what he did for cash was brilliant. and one more thing. get ronnie into the writing mix and taylor into the recording mix. all hands on deck. ronnie made a great album the last time and taylor is still honkin great. get it done.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 18, 2014 15:43

alimente
Rockman

Ah, a first sign of self-criticism?

maybe you mean self deprecation...on the other hand, Rockman was exactly right in that observation.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: June 18, 2014 15:46

Anything can happen. We'll sure get more Rolling Stones material continuosly, but really new studio material? that's very questionable.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: June 18, 2014 16:52

RoyalPurpleStones
StonesCat
RoyalPurpleStones

Absolutely!thumbs up

Done as anything else than an archives release, I think that really would have emerged as embarassing for the band.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 18, 2014 19:31

Question: If they are not challenging themselves very much musically on these shows, why would they do so on a new record?

Posted by: phd ()
Date: June 18, 2014 19:34

A Blues/Rock one with Taylor would have my inclination.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: June 18, 2014 20:26

At this point in the career would much rather them record new material and do small concert runs. But I don't think they have the creativity anymore. Or at least doesn't seem Keith has it or would want to bother trying to collaborate on what Mick is writing.

Would love to hear a true band effort with more involvement from Ronnie, all we can do is hope.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 18, 2014 20:42

The best way to go out would absolutely be a 10 song mix of covers and new songs. Even add a little old song of their own and remake it. Would be cool with this tracklisting:

1. Route 66
2. New song
3. Jenny Jenny (Little Richard)
4. Cover
5. Learning The Game (Keith)
6. New song (Ballad)
7. Cover
8. New song
9. The Last Time (Done as a blues)
10. A Chuck Berry tune they haven't done before.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: June 18, 2014 20:47

...Yes, but let's come back on the first news:does anybody here that has hear about a possible band new album from tv, radio, Stones entourage and so on?!?

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: June 18, 2014 21:01

BV, what is your opinion about it...In your opinion it could be another studio album in the future of the Band?!I'd like know your opinion...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 18, 2014 21:09

The most positive face on this would be to hope that they would hit the studio after getting hot on the road. It's taken a massive effort to get Keith anywhere near his old skill level. Ironically his singing has gotten stronger as his guitar skills are struggling.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: June 18, 2014 22:19

Gooo
Ross
Gooo

Don't stop
Keys to your love
Stealing my heart
Losing my touch
Under the radar
Don't wanna go home
Doom and gloom
One more shot

Ross

Good idea

Don't stop
Keys to your love
Stealing my heart
Losing my touch
Under the radar
Don't wanna go home
Doom and gloom
One more shot
Watching the river flow
Worried life blues
Hurricane

I tried to give it some ebb & flow rather than going chronological. This was the sequence:

Doom & Gloom
Don't Stop
Watching the river Flow
Stealin My Heart
Losing My Touch
Under The Radar
One More Shot
Worried Live Blues
Keys To Your Love
We Don't Wanna Go Home
Huricane

Date: June 18, 2014 23:31

24FPS
RoyalPurpleStones
Mick has always leaned toward making the Stones a more progressive band (which in reality really amounts to copying others) rather than staying true to their roots (as Keith would have had it).

Yes, Mick wants the Stones to live up their roots and be progressive. They never stood in one spot for long. That's why they've lasted so long. People who think they are just some hard rocking band that only existed from 1968-1972 are just dead wrong. They used to always take what was ever in the air and make it their own, from psychedelic to disco to reggae. Yes, they may have been a step behind the Beatles in the 60s, but they still tried, with often classic results. And they absolutely owned disco rock with the incredible Miss You.

Nobody wants to hear an album of Keith knocking off second tier Chuck Berry riffs. That's why Doom & Gloom was so great, and One More Shot equally not so. I love the Exile/Some Girls bonus cuts, but that's because we missed the classic Stones lineup with Bill & Mick Taylor. The songs themselves are all over the map stylistically. Bill was great with the marimba/steel drum sound on Don't Be A Stranger.

Come on, they're out of gas. It would be a miracle if they pulled together an entire album. Let them off the hook. Steel Wheels was their swan song, with barely a handful worth having afterward. And don't push them either, or we'll end up with a bad covers set, or a career ending 'Duets' album. Cheer up. There's probably some Sticky Fingers bonus cuts just waiting for release when this touring winds down.

Good comments.

Yes, diversity was OK, once upon a time. Today the Stones are in the homestretch and probably (if they continue to be lucky) have one more shot in the studio. Speaking of "one more shot" I like it better than Doom And Gloom. But neither one of them crack their top 100 in my opinion. For a last album I would hope they would consider looking back at their very best and use them as models for their final shot of artistic glory.

I thought every album they ever produced up until ABB was excellent. With ABB there was a few moments. I think, Laugh, I Nearly Died was very good and Biggest Mistake was also good. She Saw Me Coming was fun, and Oh No Not You Again worked fine live. But nothing on that album came close to matching what they did on Bridges just eight years earlier. Don't Stop was even better than anything on ABB.

With ABB it seemed they were trying to be the Stones in sort of a progressive way in hopes of appealing to today's younger generation of rock 'n rollers. I think it was sort of received OK by both the public and critics, at least early on. Today, it doesn't measure up so well. I think the same thing will happen to Doom And Gloom. It will fade from the setlist once this tour is over. The video is probably more interesting than the song.

For a final album I think they should take it back some, but not necessarily any further back than Bridges. That is a powerful Stones album ALMOST from top to bottom. All I am asking for is for them to make this last album count for something. They can do better than ABB and D&G. If they had released the Some Girls bonus tracks as their final album we probably wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1814
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home