Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: A new studio album? Is this credible ?
Date: June 18, 2014 23:41

24FPS
The most positive face on this would be to hope that they would hit the studio after getting hot on the road. It's taken a massive effort to get Keith anywhere near his old skill level. Ironically his singing has gotten stronger as his guitar skills are struggling.

They are on fire at the moment. And they will have four months off in a couple of weeks! No better time than now to get the ball rolling! The Fireball, that is!

Re: A new studio almum? Is this credible ?
Date: June 18, 2014 23:45

Beauforde
RoyalPurpleStones
24FPS
RoyalPurpleStones
24FPS
They would need big time instrumental help to do an at least artistically pleasing album. Doom & Gloom is a good example. They pulled off an interesting sound, using their limitations, but it wouldn't work over 12 cuts. They need new blood in the studio, just like they need it on stage. Jack White produced, with Mick Taylor, and even Billy Wyman participating. Jack's got some great piano players working for him.

At this point, I'm about as excited about the Stones in the studio as I am about their setlists and backing musicians. And, if their past behavior is any indication, they'll be just as stubborn about mucking up their studio work. More Mick Jagger on bass?

A Jack White produced Stones album has some interesting possibilities, however, if they listen closely to Uncle Don (Was) we will see a classic that we can all be proud of. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Stones doing a sequel to Exile. Or even something that rivals the Some Girls bonus tracks. They are the greatest band ever. They don't need to copy anyone but themselves.

We don't need them to 'be the Stones' and copy themselves. They did that way too much on Voodoo Lounge and A Bigger Bang, making songs that were pale remakes of earlier triumphs. They need to come up with something fresh that still has their essence. Of course we could be fooling ourselves. Bill pretty much ended the magic when he left. Chemistry is a very fragile thing. And face it, the best Stones music of the last 5 years are the gussied up bonus cuts when Bill was still on bass.

The Stones have a huge arsenal of songs that provide excellent models in which to build new creations. They don't need to try and put their own spin on what is popular at the moment in rock music. They don't need to look to other bands for their models, but rather to their own. I have no doubt if they could come up with something close (in style) to the recent Some Girls bonus tracks that they would enhance their legacy as artists. Heaven forbid if they could ever pull off another Exile. Out Of Control and Saint Of Me are two fabulous latter day Stones songs that are excellent examples of what a Stones song should be. Midnight Rambler is the "soul" of the Rolling Stones on display. I want to see more of that "soul" on display! Bob Dylan's songs today may sound similar to some of his songs from the past, but they are no less powerful. The Stones have written some of the most powerful songs in the history of rock 'n roll. They need not look beyond their own backyard.

i find it interesting to read the debate about whether the stones should copy themsleves or venture into new ground. i would just be happy if the stones as artists would take whatever inspiration is in the air for them and put something down for us that means something to them. if that is a blues cover album, cool. if that is a country-tinged album, with a bit of reggae, cool. it doesn't matter. the point is that the stones should, as old artists like johnny cash did, play what is in their hearts at the moment. nothing calculated to please "fans" or "critics". that is uninteresting. play what is in those old souls and we will love it. make it real. if what they play means something to them it will mean something to us.

and by all means consider rick rubin. what he did for cash was brilliant. and one more thing. get ronnie into the writing mix and taylor into the recording mix. all hands on deck. ronnie made a great album the last time and taylor is still honkin great. get it done.

With 70 plus years of life experiences behind them and so many great songs to model after, they should easily be able to produce one last masterpiece. Well, maybe not easily, but with a lot of hard work. The question is, does Mick want to do it? I am sure the others are up for it, including Mick Taylor, if invited.

Date: June 18, 2014 23:48

71Tele
Question: If they are not challenging themselves very much musically on these shows, why would they do so on a new record?

To put an end to this notion that they can't write great music anymore. Among other things.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 19, 2014 01:05

RoyalPurpleStones
24FPS
The most positive face on this would be to hope that they would hit the studio after getting hot on the road. It's taken a massive effort to get Keith anywhere near his old skill level. Ironically his singing has gotten stronger as his guitar skills are struggling.

They are on fire at the moment. And they will have four months off in a couple of weeks! No better time than now to get the ball rolling! The Fireball, that is!

Mick and Ronnie are on fire. The rest of those people on stage, excluding Charlie & Keith, have nothing to do with them making a good album. Charlie is no longer 'dynamite', but I think he can adjust and still come up with something artistic. They cannot make a great album without a little outside help, which is fine. A single or two, yes, an album, no.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: June 19, 2014 01:16

If they touring again in 2016/17 a new studio album is SURE.They can't come back in USA or UK without 3-4 new songs in the set list...

Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: June 19, 2014 03:10

Yes it is true, it has been confirmed by the people at Chess !!!

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: June 19, 2014 04:46

alimente
three16
I think I remember Ronnie stating they recorded 18 new tracks when they came up with the last two in 2012.

Ronnie! Yes...what can I say? He always confuses things a bit...it's not 18 new tracks, it's 18 bars of one new track.

It's possible these guys will have a surprise for us soon. They are good at that.

This of course after another live DVD is released from these recent short tours.

Yeah, it's gonna be called "Variations On A Scheme" - same show, same songs, but different faces in the audience plus -as a bonus- a (slightly) different stage design!

Too funny. Serious. That is funny. Probably true too.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 19, 2014 05:12

RoyalPurpleStones
71Tele
Question: If they are not challenging themselves very much musically on these shows, why would they do so on a new record?

To put an end to this notion that they can't write great music anymore. Among other things.

But they can't write great music anymore.

Date: June 19, 2014 05:19

71Tele
RoyalPurpleStones
71Tele

Sure they can. They just need to set their minds to it and get with it. These guys are miracle workers. Just when you think they are going to be counted out, they rise like Lazarus.

Seriously, they can do it. The only question is, will Mick sign on? If so, then we will get our last masterpiece.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 19, 2014 05:32

RoyalPurpleStones
71Tele
RoyalPurpleStones
71Tele

Sure they can. They just need to set their minds to it and get with it. These guys are miracle workers. Just when you think they are going to be counted out, they rise like Lazarus.

Seriously, they can do it. The only question is, will Mick sign on? If so, then we will get our last masterpiece.

That's far from the only question. Their last album of new material was 10 years ago, and the quality of the material was far from great. Do you think they have really been hoarding the good stuff for one last masterpiece? Look, I love the Stones and am glad they are performing. But I don't believe in Santa Clause or the Tooth Fairy, and I don't believe the Stones have another "great" album in them either (unless you're one of those who thinks anything they release is "great").

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 19, 2014 06:22

I think they COULD make a great album, but I don't have faith in them as people to do the things necessary, bring in fresh blood, let Mick Taylor play, get a good boogie woogie piano player, beg Bill to participate, whatever it takes. But I don't think their egos will allow it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-19 06:22 by 24FPS.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: June 19, 2014 06:35

Ross
Gooo
Ross
Gooo
Put these on a cd and call it a new cd

Don't stop
Keys to your love
Stealing my heart
Losing my touch
Under the radar
Don't wanna go home
Doom and gloom
One more shot

I did this and added "Watching The River Flow" & "Worried Life Blues" from the Ben Waters album, tacked "Hurricane" on at the end and with a little creative sequencing it turned out to be a fairly enjoyable album. The 40 Licks songs sound much better in this context where they don't have to compete with 36 of the best rock tracks ever recorded. The others are all pretty good songs in their own right. I throw this on quite often.

Ross

Good idea

Don't stop
Keys to your love
Stealing my heart
Losing my touch
Under the radar
Don't wanna go home
Doom and gloom
One more shot
Watching the river flow
Worried life blues
Hurricane

I tried to give it some ebb & flow rather than going chronological. This was the sequence:

Doom & Gloom
Don't Stop
Watching the river Flow
Stealin My Heart
Losing My Touch
Under The Radar
One More Shot
Worried Live Blues
Keys To Your Love
We Don't Wanna Go Home
Huricane

I don't know, man. Any of these combos would make ABB look like LET IT BLEED, in my opinion.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: June 19, 2014 07:12

gotdablouse

Agreed, the backing of additional musicians/several producers is certainly what made B2B stand out (ok, it has a few more memorable songs too) compared to VL and ABB.

I disagree. I think that B2B was the worst LP the Stones have ever released of new material. The best moments, Saint of Me, Out of Control, and Already Over Me are B-level tracks at best. VL had Love is Strong, YGMR, Suck on the Jugular, and several other songs equal to the best of B2B. ABB was a fantastic record which exceeded all since Tattoo.

Again, only my opinion!

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: June 19, 2014 13:49

If the Stones want to make a truelly great album again (and if not, what's the point of making one?), and with truelly great I mean on the level of least Beggar's Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile, Some Girls or Tattoo You, they need the following:
- Really figure out what music does make them tick, which - by the way - might mean different things for different members
- Really get together and jam for months, investigating and finding out about this music (as they did before with blues, rock n roll, reggae, disco)
- Get a tight unit of musicians that participate on that (and yeah, if that means including Taylor and/or Wyman, fine with me) and start with just that group without adding extras
- Forget about the past (imitate previous sounds) or the present (imitate what's the fashion nowadays)
- Be "sincere" about the music, the lyrics, the melodies, like really meaning it or grooving with it, enjoying it, feeling it's the best thing they ever did

I doubt very much that this could ever happen.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: June 19, 2014 14:45

stonesstein
gotdablouse

Agreed, the backing of additional musicians/several producers is certainly what made B2B stand out (ok, it has a few more memorable songs too) compared to VL and ABB.

I disagree. I think that B2B was the worst LP the Stones have ever released of new material. The best moments, Saint of Me, Out of Control, and Already Over Me are B-level tracks at best. VL had Love is Strong, YGMR, Suck on the Jugular, and several other songs equal to the best of B2B. ABB was a fantastic record which exceeded all since Tattoo.

Again, only my opinion!

Agree 100%
Outside from this forum ABB is a very highly rated album; it has modern and vintage songs. I love ABB as well as VL. Both very underrated here.

Nowdays is imposible for ANY ARTIST to do an outstanding album, times have changed and all we can do is enjoy what we have.

Dylan's last album is very very enjoyable, but obviously is very far from others considered as masterpieces. But i enjoyed it a lot. By the time they were released, i enjoyed VL and ABB, but i felt very dissapointed by BtB.

A very big contradiction is overflying this forum permanently, i mean, a lot of people miss the blues rock golden years with MT, and at the same time they consider BtB a nice record because they took risks with more modern oriented songs........

Well, that's only my opinion and feelings.....
What i think i very clear is that KR's guitar skills are clearly worsening during last 20-30 years. And that is a fact

Date: June 19, 2014 16:29

matxil
If the Stones want to make a truelly great album again (and if not, what's the point of making one?), and with truelly great I mean on the level of least Beggar's Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile, Some Girls or Tattoo You, they need the following:
- Really figure out what music does make them tick, which - by the way - might mean different things for different members
- Really get together and jam for months, investigating and finding out about this music (as they did before with blues, rock n roll, reggae, disco)
- Get a tight unit of musicians that participate on that (and yeah, if that means including Taylor and/or Wyman, fine with me) and start with just that group without adding extras
- Forget about the past (imitate previous sounds) or the present (imitate what's the fashion nowadays)
- Be "sincere" about the music, the lyrics, the melodies, like really meaning it or grooving with it, enjoying it, feeling it's the best thing they ever did

Absolutely! They need to come together as a group and agree that they won't leave the studio until they have created something they can all be proud of. If that means multiple side musicians, even multiple producers, then so be it.

It can happen, but they have to want it to happen. Mick is the key. Once he commits then the rest is all downhill.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: June 19, 2014 16:35

matxil

I've been waiting to participate in this thread until I could get my thoughts in order and I think you just came closer to doing that than I could (and I've saved a couple of rough drafts trying).

One phrase I'll add to matxil's list of "needs" for a good album is "Keith Time". It's a phrase I've heard for years. I don't mean showing up hours late (as I've heard it to mean on occasion). What I mean is taking long enough to get it RIGHT. It seems to me that one of the core problems with all of the albums since 1989 is that they've been done on a firm schedule with Don Was encouraging compromise and leaving things alone when they're "good enough". NONE of the Stones classic albums were made like this.

I firmly believe that if MJ were to allow KR (or even RW) to "inspire" him again and MJ & CW (plus RW & KR) were willing to commit to an "open ended" recording project, plus the points that matxil meantioned, we'd see another classic album from the Stones. If all they're willing to do is spend a couple weeks "finishing & polishing" individual's demos, we're going to see a continuation of what we've been seeing recently. It will be slick, polished & professional album but that's not really what great (or even good) Stones albums are.

A specific thing I'd like to see is the band doing their own background vocals again. I know that Bernard & MJ have become a pro's at "Keith-like" vocals behind Jagger but it's not the same. Slick, polished & professional? Yes. Stones? No.

OK, enough of my rambling. Hope everyone has a good day and those going to the show tonight have the time of their lives!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: June 19, 2014 16:40

Creating a new album should be the #1 priority in 2015. The planets are lined up perfectly for a new Stones album. Time to seize the moment.

Date: June 19, 2014 16:42

mr_dja
matxil

I've been waiting to participate in this thread until I could get my thoughts in order and I think you just came closer to doing that than I could (and I've saved a couple of rough drafts trying).

One phrase I'll add to matxil's list of "needs" for a good album is "Keith Time". It's a phrase I've heard for years. I don't mean showing up hours late (as I've heard it to mean on occasion). What I mean is taking long enough to get it RIGHT. It seems to me that one of the core problems with all of the albums since 1989 is that they've been done on a firm schedule with Don Was encouraging compromise and leaving things alone when they're "good enough". NONE of the Stones classic albums were made like this.

I firmly believe that if MJ were to allow KR (or even RW) to "inspire" him again and MJ & CW (plus RW & KR) were willing to commit to an "open ended" recording project, plus the points that matxil meantioned, we'd see another classic album from the Stones. If all they're willing to do is spend a couple weeks "finishing & polishing" individual's demos, we're going to see a continuation of what we've been seeing recently. It will be slick, polished & professional album but that's not really what great (or even good) Stones albums are.

A specific thing I'd like to see is the band doing their own background vocals again. I know that Bernard & MJ have become a pro's at "Keith-like" vocals behind Jagger but it's not the same. Slick, polished & professional? Yes. Stones? No.

OK, enough of my rambling. Hope everyone has a good day and those going to the show tonight have the time of their lives!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Excellent comments. smileys with beer

Date: June 19, 2014 16:49

71Tele
RoyalPurpleStones
71Tele
RoyalPurpleStones
71Tele

That's far from the only question. Their last album of new material was 10 years ago, and the quality of the material was far from great. Do you think they have really been hoarding the good stuff for one last masterpiece? Look, I love the Stones and am glad they are performing. But I don't believe in Santa Clause or the Tooth Fairy, and I don't believe the Stones have another "great" album in them either (unless you're one of those who thinks anything they release is "great").

I don't know about the Tooth Fairy, but I have personally met Santa Claus, even sat on his lap as a child. I have asked him for a new Stones album to be delivered on Christmas Day 2015. He hasn't failed me yet!

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: June 19, 2014 16:52

matxil

of course it couldn't happen. These four men who we call the Rolling Stones are doing what they do, professionally, now . . . what they have done in the many decades since they did what you suggest and what resulted in the music you reference. Now, they will do their shows and then go back to their lives, which do not consist of spending time with each other in recording studios -- any time at all, much less months on end jamming.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 19, 2014 16:55

i'd bet Mick J spends his time on financing films he wants to produce..

maybe he'll keep the Stones going but its up to him..

Date: June 19, 2014 16:56

24FPS
I think they COULD make a great album, but I don't have faith in them as people to do the things necessary, bring in fresh blood, let Mick Taylor play, get a good boogie woogie piano player, beg Bill to participate, whatever it takes. But I don't think their egos will allow it.

Well, somehow then we have to get through to them (actually Mick) and make them/him realize how important a new album is if they are going to close this out right. Mick has shown in recent years that he can be persuaded. The 50th anniversary tour and Out Of Control are two prime examples of this. We need to keep the pressure on-let them know how important it is to us that they create one last masterpiece that we/they can be proud of. Time is running out.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: June 19, 2014 17:34

In my opinion the Rolling Stones should just do what you feel, without worrying about the mental masturbations of fans!

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: June 19, 2014 18:25

Only 100.000 ABB albums sold in UK ?

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: June 19, 2014 19:21

matxil
If the Stones want to make a truelly great album again (and if not, what's the point of making one?), and with truelly great I mean on the level of least Beggar's Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile, Some Girls or Tattoo You, they need the following

Keith Richards needs money to buy a new jacket. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: June 19, 2014 21:06

Testify
In my opinion the Rolling Stones should just do what you feel, without worrying about the mental masturbations of fans!

Every performer (worth a salt) wants to please their fans. The Stones realize this as well as any performer. Without the fans it's over.

Posted by: Gooo ()
Date: June 19, 2014 21:46

If bob Dylan can release 4-5 good modern albums you would think the stones could do it too

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: June 19, 2014 22:01

This is my 'new' album, produced by Chris Kimsey:

1. Not the way to go
2. I need you
3. Misty Roads
4. Fiji Jim
5. Chainsaw Rocker
6. You got it made
7. Lonely at the top
8. Living in the heart of love
9. Save Me (aka Criss Cross Man)
10. Hillside Blues
11. Travelin man
12. Carnival to Rio

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 19, 2014 23:12

RoyalPurpleStones
The most important reason to do a new album is to dispel this notion that they can't write great songs anymore. That alone should be enough to motivate them to prove their critics wrong. It's been nine years since ABB. If they choose not to attempt to do at least one more album then they will have left a giant (artistic) void in the latter stages of their career, that even by continuing to perform live will never fill. I just can't see them not filling that "gap."

If they don't do a new album now or next year it's a big gap? BRIDGES to BANG was 8 years - and almost nobody noticed. It's been almost 9 years since BANG and the general music public isn't clamoring for a new album. So there goes the void - which, as you know, had a career somewhat retrospective video release, 2 studio LP reissues with 'new' songs, a small plethora of live releases online and a 3 disc greatest hits album with two new songs on it as an excuse to release something to cash in on the 50th. Keith had a hard enough time with FORTY LICKS being released and he summed it up by something along the lines of "Maybe all their copies are burned out". It seemed he wasn't up for another hits album. His shoes that said FIFTY LICKS on them showed what he thought of the stupid newest hits album.

Can't write songs anymore? What kind of songs? Good songs? Bad songs? Boring songs? Why bother?

When was the last time they wrote a "great song" anyway? I liked BANG but it's not a GREAT ALBUM. They've already done those.

They have nothing to prove to the public. What about the songs they have written from 1960 whenever to 2005's release? Isn't that enough? Prove the critics wrong? Then it will be "You're almost 80 - when you gonna do another album? Don't you have something to prove that old men can still write new songs?" and so on. That's ridiculous.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1695
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home