Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Incredibly Offensive Stones Lyrics that we seem to be ok with...
Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: June 13, 2014 15:21

Aquamarine
jazzbass
Artistic/Poetic license. It's the same reason when we go see a Scorsese film we don't get offended by the extreme profanity, racial slurs and violence. It's not real life. Now if Mick were to be caught saying those things in a non performance context, would be entirely different story.

Good point--most of these songs are from the point of view of personas, rather than Mick personally.

Almost like a novelist (Lennon sarcastically accused McCartney of writing characters in his songs as if a novelist).

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: June 13, 2014 15:28

treaclefingers
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
Not exactly lyrics, but don't forget the 12-12-12 Benefit for the U.S. dealing with the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, a world-wide broadcast and released concert. In between their two songs they performed, Mick had the audacity to poke some fun at the ordeal, saying,
Mick Jagger, 12/12/12
“This has got to be the largest collection of old English musicians ever assembled in Madison Square Garden. But I've got to say, if it rains in London, you've got to come and help us, OK?
The first half isn't anything too offensive, but the bold part is the part that was probably meant to lighten the mood, but came off as offensive. That comment, let alone the two-song set list, seemed to almost be a slap in the face. I don't care if they had a PPV the following night, that comment was downright rude.

I honestly think that was a clash of cultures coming to play. I think the British are more self deprecating and he meant it as a levity thing, in an otherwise horrible situation. That joke woulda killed in London!

thumbs up Exactly.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: June 13, 2014 16:09

Just think of the terrible "Gunface" lyrics from "Bridges To Babylon";

"Your tongue lickin` way out of place,
I`ll rip it out,
I`ll stick a gun in your face,
you`ll pay with your life."

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 13, 2014 16:21

Jaggers lyrics must be childrens fairytales compared to every rapper/hip hopper...cool smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 13, 2014 16:43

Come On
Jaggers lyrics must be childrens fairytales compared to every rapper/hip hopper...cool smiley

That's an incredibly fair point.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 13, 2014 16:46

treaclefingers
Come On

That's an incredibly fair point.

To Jagger's lyrics? smiling smiley

what's his worst one?

2 1 2 0

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: June 13, 2014 17:15

He didn't really get away with some of it. He had some troubles with all the lyrics you mentioned when they were released.

Date: June 13, 2014 17:18

Dreamer
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
Not exactly lyrics, but don't forget the 12-12-12 Benefit for the U.S. dealing with the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, a world-wide broadcast and released concert. In between their two songs they performed, Mick had the audacity to poke some fun at the ordeal, saying,
Mick Jagger, 12/12/12
“This has got to be the largest collection of old English musicians ever assembled in Madison Square Garden. But I've got to say, if it rains in London, you've got to come and help us, OK?
The first half isn't anything too offensive, but the bold part is the part that was probably meant to lighten the mood, but came off as offensive. That comment, let alone the two-song set list, seemed to almost be a slap in the face. I don't care if they had a PPV the following night, that comment was downright rude.

(Can you explain) why?

And also: what does it (possibly) have to do with 'let alone the two-song set list' to judge it as "almost be a slap in the face"?
In my view: there was no law that said they had to be there but they were and they supported with two songs because that probably was a result of what was possible and what they wanted - imo it was great for everyone they were there too so...why question it like that confused smiley
And the joke imo has to do with this British thing with rain; they are whining about rain for so many centuries that it's become pretty laughable for them...a way of coping with their lack of sunshine.
I thought of their two-song setlist as them saying, "Alright, we're having a $50 PPV tomorrow, see more songs then!" I suppose it could be misinterpreted (like I did), but comparing rain to a Hurricane that killed over 100 people...that just seems like a joke backfiring.
Here's a few links to journalism websites that were offended by Jagger's comments:
International Business Times
CBS New York

BTW-I do think that PC could have played a role in this, in retrospect.

Bright side is that their whole performance is on all of the 12/12/12 releases!

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: June 13, 2014 17:23

I really think Stray Cat Blues is very raw!

Bet your mamma don't know that you spit like that...
And Mick is talking about a thirteen years old!

To my ears it sound much more raw than "Down with your bedclothes, up with your nightshirt. You won't shout as I fiddle about" from Tommy. Uncle Ernie is a caracter, in Stray Cat Blues there's no caracter at all! Just Mick Jagger singing.

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Date: June 13, 2014 17:24

dcba
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
Mick Jagger, 12/12/12

I find it funny. Maybe you should get yourself accostumed to the witty English humour?
I mean, there's a life beyond SNL and its ungainliness...
Never! I'm perfectly fine with all my squeaky-clean SNL/Bill Cosby/George Carlin comedy!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

(Pssst! One of those things is not like the other!)

Date: June 13, 2014 17:27

dandelion1967
I really think Stray Cat Blues is very raw!

Bet your mamma don't know that you spit like that...
And Mick is talking about a thirteen years old!

To my ears it sound much more raw than "Down with your bedclothes, up with your nightshirt. You won't shout as I fiddle about" from Tommy. Uncle Ernie is a caracter, in Stray Cat Blues there's no caracter at all! Just Mick Jagger singing.
SCB is very raw. BTW-Nice signature!

Date: June 13, 2014 17:34

I walk the streets of love...

Horrible and offensive to every Stones fan.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 13, 2014 18:14

Those (the first posted lyrics in question) aren't offensive. Pish posh!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-13 18:19 by GasLightStreet.

Date: June 13, 2014 18:16

muffie
DoomandGloom
Mick has gotten away with lyrics no one else could.

Wonder if he has regrets about the Ya Ya's Stray Cat Blues? "I can see that your just thirteen years old. I don't want your ID. You look so lonesome and you, so far from home".

Nah. That's typical of old blues men. You know, tighter...

Date: June 13, 2014 18:17

noughties
Just think of the terrible "Gunface" lyrics from "Bridges To Babylon";

"Your tongue lickin` way out of place,
I`ll rip it out,
I`ll stick a gun in your face,
you`ll pay with your life."

Terrible indeed - awful bad. Those songs are offensive. Like Streets Of Love, Rock And A Hard Place, Following The River, Winning Ugly - just incredibly offensive.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 13, 2014 18:25

PaintMonkeyManBlack
I walk the streets of love...

Horrible and offensive to every Stones fan.

>grinning smiley<

I was gonna go with the "alcoholic c#nts likes knives" from I Go Wild and "all get together and f#ck all night" from Suck On The Jugular. Not because of the cussing, but because the lyrics are so hacky and forced.

Date: June 13, 2014 18:26

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
Dreamer
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
Mick Jagger, 12/12/12

(Can you explain) why?

And also: what does it (possibly) have to do with 'let alone the two-song set list' to judge it as "almost be a slap in the face"?
In my view: there was no law that said they had to be there but they were and they supported with two songs because that probably was a result of what was possible and what they wanted - imo it was great for everyone they were there too so...why question it like that confused smiley
And the joke imo has to do with this British thing with rain; they are whining about rain for so many centuries that it's become pretty laughable for them...a way of coping with their lack of sunshine.
I thought of their two-song setlist as them saying, "Alright, we're having a $50 PPV tomorrow, see more songs then!" I suppose it could be misinterpreted (like I did), but comparing rain to a Hurricane that killed over 100 people...that just seems like a joke backfiring.
Here's a few links to journalism websites that were offended by Jagger's comments:
International Business Times
CBS New York

BTW-I do think that PC could have played a role in this, in retrospect.

Bright side is that their whole performance is on all of the 12/12/12 releases!

Hmmm. Well, I didn't think it was funny, it was horrible humour from someone that always seems out of touch about disasters. I thought it was rather bland - just like the songs they played. And then there's the whole 'Superstorm' (which I've never understood) and 'was it a hurricane? it wasn't a hurricane' - which it wasn't at landfall but whatever - thing.

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: June 13, 2014 18:52

I thought it was funny. Chacun a son gout.

Date: June 13, 2014 19:19

GasLightStreet

well I'm not personally offended...I just think that if you look at them as they are, they would probably be seen as being offensive.

My point is how does such a mainstream band get away with it over and over unlike most bands? (until you get to more recent hip hop/rap).

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: June 13, 2014 19:28

silkcut1978_
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
Mick Jagger, 12/12/12

To each it's own - I was laughing my a** off when I first heard it. I absolutely love that sense of dry, British humor cool smiley

Why would you laugh your butt of at it..Its not really funny. Never understand why people feel the need to laugh at everything their favorite band says. he wanted to say someone and he put it in a cool way, not offensive or really funny.

People who comaplained about it just made fools of themselves..People looking to be offended..

Date: June 13, 2014 19:31

dcba
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
Mick Jagger, 12/12/12

I find it funny. Maybe you should get yourself accostumed to the witty English humour?
I mean, there's a life beyond SNL and its ungainliness...

The English are always ready to tell you how funny they are...

Date: June 13, 2014 19:34

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

well I'm not personally offended...I just think that if you look at them as they are, they would probably be seen as being offensive.

My point is how does such a mainstream band get away with it over and over unlike most bands? (until you get to more recent hip hop/rap).

Other than the bit about black girls just want to get fuucked all night, which got some attention but shouldn't have, any offensive lyrics by the Stones remain tepid at best. I can't think of one person that was offended by the line in I Go Wild. Nobody noticed. Besides, it was rather appropriate.

Current (and last 20 years or so of) hip hop/rap lyrics aren't offensive because they're not being listened to by the pathetic people that found Under My Thumb, Stupid Girl and whatever else offensive.

List what you mean by 'most bands' that have 'offensive lyrics'. I can't think of any other than GNR's One In A Million.

Date: June 13, 2014 19:42

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

Other than the bit about black girls just want to get fuucked all night, which got some attention but shouldn't have, any offensive lyrics by the Stones remain tepid at best. I can't think of one person that was offended by the line in I Go Wild. Nobody noticed. Besides, it was rather appropriate.

Current (and last 20 years or so of) hip hop/rap lyrics aren't offensive because they're not being listened to by the pathetic people that found Under My Thumb, Stupid Girl and whatever else offensive.

List what you mean by 'most bands' that have 'offensive lyrics'. I can't think of any other than GNR's One In A Million.

Put it another way.

If U2 came out with, 'black girls just wanna get F... all night', what would the public reaction be?

Date: June 13, 2014 20:11

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

Put it another way.

If U2 came out with, 'black girls just wanna get F... all night', what would the public reaction be?

The difference is they know the Stones will not bow to pressure of apologize. The PC bullies can't bully people like that so they don't like to go after them..Bono would have a press conference, cry and ask for forgivness, plus probably give some money to someone's favorite charity.

Date: June 13, 2014 20:47

stanlove
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

Put it another way.

The difference is they know the Stones will not bow to pressure of apologize. The PC bullies can't bully people like that so they don't like to go after them..Bono would have a press conference, cry and ask for forgivness, plus probably give some money to someone's favorite charity.

OK, so are you saying the reason the Stones get away with it, is that the public knows they won't apologize, so the choice of the public is to live with it and accept it and still embrace the band?

I want to reiterate that I don't personally have a problem with this, but I've always wondered how it is that they not only get away with it, but are revered and maybe even revered for it?

Posted by: Starr ()
Date: June 13, 2014 21:08

Slew & Goo ... smileys with beer

Star

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: June 13, 2014 21:12

Some nut just wrote a longgg piece about being offended by "Under My Thumb" in a Trader Joe's. (She is a professor at NYU, so...)

Date: June 13, 2014 21:27

alhavu1
Some nut just wrote a longgg piece about being offended by "Under My Thumb" in a Trader Joe's. (She is a professor at NYU, so...)

Didn't "Under My Thumb" and "Stupid Girl" start the whole 'offensive lyric' thing?

The rather obvious misogynistic tone to those tunes got the ball rolling I think.

Hardly surprising someone would be offended, but to be offended now, almost 50 years later seems a bit of a 'delayed reaction'.

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: June 13, 2014 21:32

Yeah, almost 50 years. Pleeze

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: June 13, 2014 21:40

Under my thumb isn't fair to cats. Or dogs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-13 21:41 by BroomWagon.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1230
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home