Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6
Re: Incredibly Offensive Stones Lyrics that we seem to be ok with...
Date: June 19, 2014 05:19

treaclefingers
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
I know it's a cover of Bo Diddley, but 'I'm Alright' offends me; Sometimes I listen to it when I'm not feeling alright! How dare he brag on feeling alright when I'm not feeling alright!

BTMMR, YCAGWYW
Now YOU offend me with your acronyms, treacle! Are you even allowed to imply that on the Internet?!?! winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-19 05:19 by BeforeTheyMakeMeRun.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: June 19, 2014 08:41

The thing is, times have changed. Contemporaneous with the Stones was the film Blow-Up. This film was an absolute sensation when it came out, depicting all the glamour and excitement of the 'Swinging Sixties' in London. The protagonist played by David Hemmings was supposed to be a portrayal of the fashion photographer David Bailey - the ultimate in cool.

At the time, not one person mentioned that all the many women in the film were subservient and mostly treated with contempt of varying degrees. Now when modern viewers watch it, they gasp at the misogyny.

Watch the film here - if you haven't seen it, it's a must-see.

[url=

]Blow-Up[/url]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 19, 2014 15:50

Bliss
The thing is, times have changed. Contemporaneous with the Stones was the film Blow-Up. This film was an absolute sensation when it came out, depicting all the glamour and excitement of the 'Swinging Sixties' in London. The protagonist played by David Hemmings was supposed to be a portrayal of the fashion photographer David Bailey - the ultimate in cool.

At the time, not one person mentioned that all the many women in the film were subservient and mostly treated with contempt of varying degrees. Now when modern viewers watch it, they gasp at the misogyny.

Watch the film here - if you haven't seen it, it's a must-see.

[url=

]Blow-Up[/url][/quote]

It is an excellent movie but I agree, the misogyny is overt.

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: July 8, 2014 00:20

What about Mick screaming the line "Hey! Hey! Jew got me rockin' now!" and "Jew got to roll me" from Tumbling Dice, live? Anybody here offended by that? Hmmmm?

(Careful! Once you hear him sing it in live shows, you'll never "unhear" it again!)

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 8, 2014 00:28

Turning To Gold
What about Mick screaming the line "Hey! Hey! Jew got me rockin' now!" and "Jew got to roll me" from Tumbling Dice, live? Anybody here offended by that? Hmmmm?

(Careful! Once you hear him sing it in live shows, you'll never "unhear" it again!)

What jew talking about, Gold?

Posted by: Shantipole ()
Date: July 8, 2014 16:26

shawnriffhard1

Lastly, the "misogyny" of the Aftermath/BtButtons/Flowers era- I'm not seeing a problem here either. As I understand it, misogyny is a general negative attitude towards women. I don't hear that with these tunes at all. I hear a young guy feeling his way through life (an exceptionally unique life) and running into some really nasty, shallow, controlling chicks and being properly pissed off about it. Most people have to deal with this to some degree (presumably a much lesser one) but don't have the advantage of getting it out of their system with the therapy of songwriting.

The stones, or at least Mick has addressed this era in the past and basically said what you are arguing here. They were surrounded by so many women who were shallow and essentially "star @#$%&" and so the songs reflect this experience.

Date: July 8, 2014 23:08

Mick over 'Some Girls'-I don't think that promise/threat followed through... winking smiley

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 9, 2014 03:15

Haven't read this whole thread, but let's not forget, in "Coming Down Again", Keith crooning "Stick my tongue in someone else's pie, tastes better every time". Which made me think of the Beatles, the Stones contemporaries, and the Beatles reference to finger pie in one of their songs and their chanting "Tit tit tit..." as the background chorus in another song. There's all kinds of naughty bits in popular music. Go find on Youtube a version of "I Want Some Sugar in My Bowl". Nina Simone, if I remember right, does a great version of the tune.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 9, 2014 03:28

Carlisle Brothers - Sal Got A Meatskin - 1933 .....

Monkey Joe - Hair Parted in The Middle - 1938 .....

Try them two if ya wanna laugh ...

ROCKMAN

Date: July 9, 2014 03:29

latebloomer
Turning To Gold

What jew talking about, Gold?

Date: July 9, 2014 16:16

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun

Mick over 'Some Girls'-I don't think that promise/threat followed through... winking smiley

Funny! I don't think I've seen MJ that f-d up in an interview in years.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1080
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home