Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: The Rolling Stones in 2014 – Soul Survivors or All Sold Out?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 12, 2014 01:19

Ya only gotta check out any year of their Rolling Stones life ta see that
they sure are survivors ..... and don't fret they've still got lots of that thang called soul

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Gooo ()
Date: June 12, 2014 01:25

I like mean disposition

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 12, 2014 01:34

.... Muddy cut a song called Mean Disposition back in 1948 ... weird A?

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Gooo ()
Date: June 12, 2014 03:05

I didn't know that....

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 12, 2014 04:47

Doxa
Wonderful stuff, Turd On The Run... you are beatifully explicating and finding right words for some personal dilemmas I also have in 'viewing' the modern Stones. And among other many great things and insights, your take on today's Keith, Taylor and Jagger is just so spot on that I believe I have never seen anyone doing anything like, So accurate´, fresh, innovative term choices. I could pick up many things there, but since I don't find anything to disagree with, why to spoil such a great, complete cake by splitting it into small pieces?

Wow. What a read! Thank You!smileys with beer

- Doxa

This is high praise indeed. Doxa has made some all time classic posts IMO and this is right up there. I concur with it all as well. Great job.
To answer the question: both, which is why they remain so fascinating to follow.smileys with beer

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: June 12, 2014 12:53

Turd On The Run, you've nailed it! Thanks. I full agree with your whole article. Finally there's a good argument why the Stones have diminished themselves the last tour.

Let's face it, we all great fans of the Stones, but we're not 100% satisfied with the whole thing. Setlists, Keith's playing, "abuse" of Mick Taylor...
But hey, we can't always get what we want. I've already accepted this. This is it. There will be nothing more. I haven't seen them live. But that's ok. I have fond memories on the old videos. When they were mighty and legends! (y)

But Turd On The Run... thanks again, you've wrote a great article. Good read. Love it!

Posted by: jaypee65 ()
Date: June 12, 2014 13:43

Interesting article and spot on with many points but... it's funny what memory can do...
I was at the concert in Budapest and while the conditions were abominable (on wikipedia, we learn that this was the hottest day EVER in Budapest), it was a "normal" concert with, actually, quite a bit of screw-ups. And it was a normal two-hour concert.
Of course, everyone had a great time and yes, the fact that they performed on that night is to be commended. But I don't remember anything special besides the fact that people around me were slightly buzzed not from alcohol but from the heat. Actually, people drank mostly water during that concert...

THank god, this coming Monday in Vienna, the weather should be nicer.

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: June 12, 2014 13:55

I'd like to add my bit briefly for what it's worth. This latest Stones tour in reality is an extension of the 50 year anniversary tour which is a celebration of the band for which a new album in my opinion would of been inappropriate. The last tour was in support of a pretty damn good album. Should we really expect the Stones to finish such a high energy tour and go into the studio, record another album and tour in 2009-2011 with the expected call for them to be together again by 2012 for the anniversary tour? Before the Bigger Bang tour there was the wonderful licks tour where they pushed the envelope with the 3 different gigs in one city idea which celebrated their 40th anniversary. This came only 3 years after the long Bridges To Babylon tour in support of a new album. That tour in itself arrived only 2 years after the Voodoo Lounge tour which was also as you know in support of a new album. Stones tours last generally 2 years so they reach everyone. Also springsteen and Dylan often use different bands.

Date: June 12, 2014 14:05

Continuing from my message above.
Springsteen and Dylan are the focus of their music, if either went on the road with a different band behind them it wouldn't matter too much but the Stones are a group who live all over the place so logistically getting together for a tour must be hard enough let alone a n album too. They'd be tearing each others hair out! You'd need all 4 stones in on any project unlike other artists of their age.
I don't really understand the nit picking, and if they made another good album people would still bitch that it isn't as great as before despite the most recent ones all being very good. Be thankful we still have The Rolling Stones playing, plenty of others are long gone. When the time comes when they're gone i suspect a hell of a lot of us are gonna miss them just being around. Enjoy them.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: June 12, 2014 15:29

geordiestone
Springsteen and Dylan are the focus of their music, if either went on the road with a different band behind them it wouldn't matter too much but the Stones are a group who live all over the place so logistically getting together for a tour must be hard enough let alone a n album too. They'd be tearing each others hair out! You'd need all 4 stones in on any project unlike other artists of their age.
I don't really understand the nit picking, and if they made another good album people would still bitch that it isn't as great as before despite the most recent ones all being very good. Be thankful we still have The Rolling Stones playing, plenty of others are long gone. When the time comes when they're gone i suspect a hell of a lot of us are gonna miss them just being around. Enjoy them.

Springsteen DID tour with a different band in early '90's. It DID matter, it was dreadful. Probably good players but they in no way understood the nuances and subtlety of Bruce's music.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: June 12, 2014 15:45

What you say about Bruce and the E Street Band is true. Before all that, though, his guitarist Steve Van Zandt, left the band and was replaced by Nils Lofgrin. When the band reunited, both guitarists were included. Bruce's just ended tour featured Tom Morello (substituting for Van Zandt), Lofgrin and Bruce on guitar. Imagine how outrageously amazingly good the current Stones tour would have been with a three guitar band for the whole show. I'm not making an analogy because there are many differences in the two situations -- Van Zandt was Bruce's childhood friend; Taylor was a temporary non-original band member, and the music is different -- but it would have worked for the Stones. And I think the first one to have welcomed Mick T on stage would have been Woody.

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: June 12, 2014 15:59

Taylor was not an original member but he wasn't temporary until he decided to quit. If this is is indeed the last tour (or group of tours), keeping Taylor to one song makes no sense at all. And even if they keep going for a few more years, why not make full use of Taylor's abilities? I don't think fans would complain.

Posted by: Starr ()
Date: June 13, 2014 00:08

geordiestone - thumbs upthumbs up

"till the next time..."

Star

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: June 13, 2014 00:40

gimmelittledrink
Taylor was not an original member but he wasn't temporary until he decided to quit. If this is is indeed the last tour (or group of tours), keeping Taylor to one song makes no sense at all. And even if they keep going for a few more years, why not make full use of Taylor's abilities? I don't think fans would complain.
I meant viewed with hindsight he was temporary, obviously, until he quit he was just a member of the band.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: June 13, 2014 03:32

soul survivors

no way are they sold out.they put on a fantastic show

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: June 15, 2014 19:27

This is a brilliant essay, Turd on the Run! Spot on!!!

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Drew

Posted by: Beauforde ()
Date: June 18, 2014 14:37

i thought the critique was better than anything rolling stone has published since 1974, and could certainly be the centerpiece article of a magazine of true merit for rock musicologists/archaeologists like MOJO. irrefutable in nearly all of its observations.

but i think all of you guys go too easy on the stones. i find it a disgrace -- A DISGRACE -- that they have the energy to put a de-facto fortune 500 traveling corporation/circus on the road again (i.e. the rolling stones on tour) but don't have the energy/motivation to get in the studio, focus and try and say something new. i think it is sheer fear factor... they don't want to be criticized as incapable of producing anything worthwhile anymore, so they indolently resort to leaning on the library.

bullshit. for better or worse, dylan, neil, elton john, mccartney, bowie... none of those guys have resorted to the mortgage tour. the stones have been mining that shit since the late 1980s. uuuggghh.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: June 18, 2014 15:38

All that we try to define is in vain, with this band.
Our words reflect perception; never truth...
...however 'well-educated' on topic we consider ourselves (or eachother).
And beauty, as well as evil, lies in the eye of the beholder...

Very, véry well written, TotR; a joy to read.
Plus: some really interesting observations in there.

Nothing more.

Enjoy the music, y'all -

Date: June 18, 2014 20:49

Beauforde
i thought the critique was better than anything rolling stone has published since 1974, and could certainly be the centerpiece article of a magazine of true merit for rock musicologists/archaeologists like MOJO. irrefutable in nearly all of its observations.

but i think all of you guys go too easy on the stones. i find it a disgrace -- A DISGRACE -- that they have the energy to put a de-facto fortune 500 traveling corporation/circus on the road again (i.e. the rolling stones on tour) but don't have the energy/motivation to get in the studio, focus and try and say something new. i think it is sheer fear factor... they don't want to be criticized as incapable of producing anything worthwhile anymore, so they indolently resort to leaning on the library.

bullshit. for better or worse, dylan, neil, elton john, mccartney, bowie... none of those guys have resorted to the mortgage tour. the stones have been mining that shit since the late 1980s. uuuggghh.
Did i imagine SW, VL, B2B, ABB?

Posted by: rowley ()
Date: June 19, 2014 01:40

A thoughtful, well-written piece. It deserves to be published somewhere that they will send you a check.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: June 19, 2014 14:30

paulywaul
<<< Dedicated to Beast, Paulywaul, Anastasia60, Heartbreaker, BV, and every Stones diehard keeping the flame lit… (It is a long read, but take it in pieces, it will go down easier...) >>>

Well thank you kind Sir for the compliment, we're flattered.

Great read, deliciously written, and if I had to choose one phrase to reiterate here, Europe 2014 (if indeed it turns out to be that last kiss) .... well then WHAT a kiss it was ? The long lingering kind, and the miracle of it is that for an artist that one has embraced for a lifetime, when you stand there a few metres in front of them today and take in the sights and sounds, that last kiss is still manages to be as sensually exquisite as memorable as the fist exploratory one - all those years ago !!

How do they manage it ?

"Ladies n' Gentlemen, will you welcome to the stage please ...... the ROLLING STONES".

I cannot bear to think that one day, I will live in a world in which I'll have heard that for the last time.

Boys n' girls n' children, if you're out there and hesitating, don't. Go and see this band. Get close and lose yourself in their world for a couple of hours, there's simply nothing like it. As it might well say in the guide book: Recommended !!

Seconded! I/we are indeed honoured to have such a considered and thought-provoking piece dedicated to us! Just as it was likewise a great highlight to make the acquaintance of Turd On the Run in Zurich. I agree with others that his piece deserves a much wider audience. That thought occurred to me immediately on reading it and I hope he might have the time, energy and inclination to try that route.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: June 19, 2014 15:20

Rolling Stones are fighting against their age, and they are succeeding partialy............ in part because they do not make new music since very long ago.
But there is a worse thing all around. The absolutely lack of new talents and new rock bands.
No new iconic artists
No new iconic songs
No new iconic albums
..............................although it is everything about nostalgia, WELLCOME TO THE BRAVE ROLLING STONES

Other artists are fired at an earliest age

Posted by: Beauforde ()
Date: June 20, 2014 19:15

geordiestone

i think it's been many decades now, that dylan and bowie stay at the finest establishments and are regaled in a lifestyle of royal barony. and yet WHEN they decide to play, they attempt to play something new. bowie and dylan's latest albums are (borderline) splendid. and their musical musings are not borne of deprivation or a motivation-induced hunger. somehow, they find it in themselves to be relevant, nonetheless.

i don't think picasso or michelangelo, contemporaneously, where suffering from any degree of want, yet they were producing worthy shit until the end.

the stones? they succumbed to mythopoeic indolence. Marinated in their own aura. i don't accept it. they are parody to me now, i revere their lengthy canon of incomparable work, but no longer take them seriously as artists. idon't think I'd even bother for their concerts any longer. I find them a big piss-me-off letdown.

Date: June 20, 2014 20:13

Well each to their own Beauforde and i respect your opinion but the point i'm making is that a band is a very different kind of animal than a solo artist, especially a band like The Stones because quite simply Bowie and Dylan are reliant only on themselves alone appearing on their albums and it doesn't make a difference who they hire to play with them on their records, it could change from record to record. Whereas the Stones are at the very least 4 core members who i'd imagine are very hard to get together long enough to create something new at this stage of their lives. It's all a matter of taste for sure but i'd rather listen to anything the Stones have done in recent years as opposed to Dylan or Bowie but like i say that's just my opinion.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2137
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home