Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Horace Silver RIP
Posted by: nashville ()
Date: June 20, 2014 15:31

Jazz musician Horace Silver died this week. I would not count myself as a jazz expert by any stretch of the imagination but I always found his music to be universally brilliant. So many great albums and he seemed to make the sort of music that even people who don't normally go for jazz can enjoy.

Andy

Re: OT: Horace Silver RIP
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 20, 2014 15:42

Yes, RIP, not a jazz expert either, but his "Song For My Father" is one of my preferred musical themes, for those who haven't heard it:

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-20 15:43 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 20, 2014 15:49

American jazz pianist Horace Silver performs at the North Sea Jazz Festival in The Hague, Netherlands, in 1988.

Nice article here:
[www.npr.org]

Posted by: Gooo ()
Date: June 20, 2014 15:52

Songs for my father is top 10 in my book

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: June 20, 2014 16:50

A great talent. In fact, he is one of the few artists who have made genuine changes to jazz.

He certainly left us some beautiful music for us to remember him.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: June 20, 2014 17:06

nashville
Jazz musician Horace Silver died this week. I would not count myself as a jazz expert by any stretch of the imagination but I always found his music to be universally brilliant. So many great albums and he seemed to make the sort of music that even people who don't normally go for jazz can enjoy.

Andy

He had a good run. Age 85. He played with the 50s greats. Back when jazz really mattered. Heck. Rock barely matters today. The Stones are an artifact. Rock surfed the post war baby bulge which is no more...no more young that is

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: June 20, 2014 17:15

RIP Horace

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: June 20, 2014 19:23

early Horace Silver...hardbop 1954-55...Song For My Father is essential...another major jazz talent gone...R.I.P.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1691
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home