Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Start Me Up vs Jumping Jack Flash
Posted by: benstones ()
Date: June 12, 2014 18:54

Hello everyone!

I was in Landgraaf last week so I saw the Stones starting the show with JJF and it was amazing. Personally, JJF as an opening song it's perfect!

When they start with SMU, it's not really good... Keith always miss the opening riff. The impact is not good!

So why they continue starting the show with SMU like in Berlin for example? And again the intro riff was missed by Keith (like in the 2 shows of Hyde Park).

Benjamin.

Re: Start Me Up vs Jumping Jack Flash
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: June 12, 2014 19:29

The only advantage of opening with SMU is that they get it out of the way spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: June 12, 2014 19:34

JJF is the best opener ever.

At Pinkpop I was expecting SMU so Keith came up and played JJF it just sounded so awesome!

LOVE the part when Keith is riffing and they turn his guitar LOUD !

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: June 12, 2014 19:44

I don't like JJF as the opener because they shorten it. They could play it for 15 minutes and I would be happy.

I don't like SMU either because it's too obvious. But, as previously stated, it does get it out of the way.

I'm from the school of thought they could pretty much open with anything.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 12, 2014 19:53

Another advantage of opening with SMU is that the Mick likes opening with SMU, so why should I begrudge him?!
I don't mind Keith starting it in unexpected ways either -
I'm always too happy to be there witnessing that handful of skinny English cats making noise again :E

Posted by: Hanns Rainsch ()
Date: June 12, 2014 20:08

I like both songs as an opener. All show openings this summer sounded great.

Date: June 12, 2014 20:51

benstones
Hello everyone!

I was in Landgraaf last week so I saw the Stones starting the show with JJF and it was amazing. Personally, JJF as an opening song it's perfect!

When they start with SMU, it's not really good... Keith always miss the opening riff. The impact is not good!

So why they continue starting the show with SMU like in Berlin for example? And again the intro riff was missed by Keith (like in the 2 shows of Hyde Park).

I agree. SMU is no longer the best starter for the obvious reasons. Keith never (to my knowledge) has had a problem with the intro when SMU is further down the setlist.

Plenty of good starters besides SMU. YGMR, IYCRM, SFM, and of course JJF.

Posted by: OutOfTime ()
Date: June 12, 2014 20:58

Jumping Jack Flashthumbs up

Date: June 12, 2014 20:59

fahthree
I don't like JJF as the opener because they shorten it. They could play it for 15 minutes and I would be happy.

I don't like SMU either because it's too obvious. But, as previously stated, it does get it out of the way.

I'm from the school of thought they could pretty much open with anything.

I would like to see them alternate JJF and Satisfaction as closers. I have always felt that these two should close each and every show. In no particular order.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: June 12, 2014 21:09

I'd like to listen to Satisfaction as first track of the set like during the 97-98 tour.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: June 12, 2014 21:26

I realy, realy like start me up as opener, but ofcourse Keith must play the first chords well.
I also like Brown Sugar as an opening song. Realy great!
But the best one for me is Streetfighting Men, like in 2003 at The Ahoi, The Netherlands, that was awsome! They played it wich such power!

Posted by: OutOfTime ()
Date: June 12, 2014 21:35

GJV
I realy, realy like start me up as opener, but ofcourse Keith must play the first chords well.
I also like Brown Sugar as an opening song. Realy great!
But the best one for me is Streetfighting Men, like in 2003 at The Ahoy, The Netherlands, that was awsome! They played it wich such power!

STREETFIGHTING MAN YES!
But the question here is SMU or JJF as an opener....
I say: Both JJF and Streetfighting Man have better lyrics to "start me up with"...
But okay... I'm a sucker for lyrics.

Posted by: SilverBlanket ()
Date: June 12, 2014 22:26

JJF no contest.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: June 12, 2014 22:38

If I have to choose between the two, I'd probably lean towards JJF. Of the shows I've seen in person, my favorite opener is still "Not Fade Away" from Voodoo Lounge. As much as I love for a Stones show to start with the sound Keith's guitar playing one of the greatest riffs in history, there was something special about Charlie's Drums being the first thing heard, followed by Mick strutting out "I'm Gonna Tell You How It's Gonna' Be" with the guitar reply to follow.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: June 12, 2014 23:59

JJF is an exellent opener, but I like it more together with Satisfaction at the rear end, like they did at the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tour.

So for me Start me up! it is!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 13, 2014 01:47

I kinda associate the opening songs with an identity of the tours. So "Flash" is 1969 to me, as "Start Me Up" is 1989/90. As "Brown Sugar" is 1972/73, "Honky Tonk Women" 1975/76, etc. So I find the recent tendency to start with not just different tunes, but with ones already 'used', a bit lame and artistically dull. That tendency is, of course, one symptom of the nostalgia. I guess BRIDGES TO BABYLON was the last tour with a fresh and unique signature opener ("Satisfaction"). They started the COUNTING tour with interesting choices ("I Wanna Be Your Man", an equavalent to "Not Fade Away" of VOODOO tour), but unfortunately they have now fallen back to easy and safe choices.

It would be interesting if they would do something different - why not to start with, say, "Sympathy For The Devil" or "Gimme Shelter", if they need to be 'war horses'. Those would be dramatic ways to start a concert, and I can imagine them working well in creating the needed euphoria. Besides, they are already using the rhythm track of "Sympathy", why not just do the whole song as well?

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-13 01:53 by Doxa.

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: June 13, 2014 02:08

Doxa
I kinda associate the opening songs with an identity of the tours. So "Flash" is 1969 to me, as "Start Me Up" is 1989/90. As "Brown Sugar" is 1972/73, "Honky Tonk Women" 1975/76, etc. So I find the recent tendency to start with not just different tunes, but with ones already 'used', a bit lame and artistically dull. That tendency is, of course, one symptom of the nostalgia. I guess BRIDGES TO BABYLON was the last tour with a fresh and unique signature opener ("Satisfaction"). They started the COUNTING tour with interesting choices ("I Wanna Be Your Man", an equavalent to "Not Fade Away" of VOODOO tour), but unfortunately they have now fallen back to easy and safe choices.

It would be interesting if they would do something different - why not to start with, say, "Sympathy For The Devil" or "Gimme Shelter", if they need to be 'war horses'. Those would be dramatic ways to start a concert, and I can imagine them working well in creating the needed euphoria. Besides, they are already using the rhythm track of "Sympathy", why not just do the whole song as well?

- Doxa

I agree. The band we have now would never open with Not Fade Away.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: June 13, 2014 02:21

benstones
Hello everyone!

JJ Flash any day!! It one of their best tunes. Start Me Up...... I never liked it. The lyrics are ridiculous.

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: June 13, 2014 02:30

Doxa
They started the COUNTING tour with interesting choices ("I Wanna Be Your Man")

It was a great choice. I looked forward to seeing that song get better and better over the weeks. Not that the first performance was bad at all either. Pity!

But as for this thread's topic, it's great to hear JJF first. Keith ain't gonna mess up the riff and for some reason it doesn't make the rest of the show a letdown (playing your best song first, that is). I don't mind SMU anywhere in the set, but it is best played when Keith's fingers are warmed up.

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: June 13, 2014 04:17

Definitely JJF!!

I love the studio version of Star Me Up, but I loathe it live. I've never heard a live version I even slightly enjoy.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 13, 2014 07:26

JJF is much better if it is shorter and tighter, just like Brown Sugar. Opener? None of them.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 13, 2014 09:19

I would like them to start with UMT instead..no risk for missing riffs there...the thrill would be when Charlie starts hitting the drums...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: June 13, 2014 11:02

JJF makes an impact as an opener but it's nice to have it stretched out a bit later on in the set. As for Keith, I've heard him mess up JJF as an opener too. (Sheffield - 2006.) Quite surprised at the dislike of SMU expressed above. I think it's justified to be considered a classic and I love the lyrics!

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: June 13, 2014 11:11

I prefer SMU as opening song, and JJF near the end the climax of the show.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: June 13, 2014 11:22

Start me up doesn't work unless it's first..

Posted by: marko ()
Date: June 13, 2014 12:30

i´m with Doxa here,they should bother to find a new opening song....or if they want to use older ideas,,,try street fighting man again,,,i wanna be your man should have stayed as an opener,,,then we might have get 20 song set listsmiling smiley

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: June 13, 2014 13:35

"Start Me Up" is in my opinion, the better opening song. As last song, they should play "The Last Time" instead of "Satisfaction".

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: June 13, 2014 15:22

Doxa

- Doxa

I like the idea of them starting with "Sympathy". It would really change the dynamics of the entire show.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 13, 2014 15:30

Ladykiller
"Start Me Up" is in my opinion, the better opening song. As last song, they should play "The Last Time" instead of "Satisfaction".

The Last Time? terrible song live.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: June 13, 2014 15:30

matxil
Doxa

- Doxa

I like the idea of them starting with "Sympathy". It would really change the dynamics of the entire show.

I also like the idea of Sympathy not only because of the segue from the drums to the tune but also due to the 1st line coming out of Mick's mouth... "Please allow me to introduce myself..." I think that's a part of the reason I would lean to JJF "I was born in a crossfire hurricane" and enjoyed Not Fade Away with the "I'm gonna tell you how it's gonna be" line. I know the night I saw them on the Voodoo tour, Mick & the rest spent the next 2+ hours after that first line telling the entire crowd EXACTLY how it was going to be.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2260
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home