Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Rolling Stones - a blues band
Posted by: chris girard ()
Date: May 19, 2014 06:58

I don't know why the thread was closed but I did want to say a few things. The Rolling Stones were and still are a blues band. The Blues is a musical art form that came out of the black slave experience and segregation in America. True blues is beautiful, it can be funny, sad, it can tell a story and it has a unique musical form. The Stones when they play real blues are some of the best artists in the world. Its nothing to look down your nose about, its not childish at all. Its real American folk music with many variations, New Orleans style, Chicago style and country style from the Carolinas among others.

Just my thoughts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-19 09:30 by bv.

Re: In response to Erik_Snow
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 19, 2014 07:05

Bravo! thumbs up

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: May 19, 2014 07:15

The Rolling Stones were and are a blues band, that's why they billed themselves as the greatest rock 'n' roll band in the world and one of their biggest and most played on the radio songs is "It's only Rock 'N' Roll". Got it.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 19, 2014 07:34

Erik_Snow's contributions to this forum are appreciative.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: May 19, 2014 07:34

BroomWagon
The Rolling Stones were and are a blues band, that's why they billed themselves as the greatest rock 'n' roll band in the world and one of their biggest and most played on the radio songs is "It's only Rock 'N' Roll". Got it.

It's not that difficult. The Stones are a blues band who also happen to be the greatest rock'n'roll band in the world.

Date: May 19, 2014 07:40

MKjan
BroomWagon

It's not that difficult. The Stones are a blues band who also happen to be the greatest rock'n'roll band in the world.

Genres: Rock, blues rock, rock and roll, rhythm and blues, hard rock, blues

The Rolling Stones are an English rock band formed in London in 1962.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Keith Richards is a bluesman but the Rolling Stones band has been a very diverse band really, threads in fact, speak about this. I'm surprised "pop" is not listed as a genre as well.

Date: May 19, 2014 07:45

Rock 'N' Roll Hall of Fame: [en.wikipedia.org]

Blues Hall of Fame, interestingly Michael Bloomfield is in it: [en.wikipedia.org]

Date: May 19, 2014 07:56

[en.wikipedia.org]

Is James Brown not even a member of the Blues Hall of Fame? That sure doesn't sound right though I could see how one would mainly call his music "Soul"

"Genres funk, soul, R&B"

[en.wikipedia.org]

But James Brown, Buddy Holly and Little Richard I think clearly are big influences on the Rolling Stones among other influences of course. But it'd be hard to call some of these influences blues. What portion of Rolling Stones music is actually blues? What is Rock 'N' Roll" And plenty of other styles, Ballads, etc.

I guess Led Zeppelin really can be called a blues band as well but for the sake of convenience, I think most people would call them a rock band as well.

Johnny Winter and Stevie Ray Vaughan are in the Blues Hall of Fame, that does seem proper. That's only the Blues Foundation's ratings though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-19 08:07 by BroomWagon.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 19, 2014 08:10

The Rolling Stones are not a blues band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-19 08:18 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 19, 2014 09:27

Oh never mind, life's too short!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-19 09:28 by Aquamarine.

Re: Rolling Stones - a blues band
Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 19, 2014 09:50

The Rolling Stones are a blues band who play rock and roll

Date: May 19, 2014 10:16

His Majesty

They were that, too.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: May 19, 2014 10:31

The Rolling Stones should be a Blues band again. You're absolutely right that they are on top if they play the Blues. In the moment they are unfortunately their own Circus de Soleil ...

Date: May 19, 2014 10:41

There still is something natural about the Stones playing the blues - more so than with many other bands from the same era and the same background, imo.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: May 19, 2014 10:41

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty

They were that, too.

Occasionly for a song or two, still may be.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 19, 2014 10:44

There still is something natural about the Stones playing the blues - more so than with many other bands from the same era and the same background, imo.

......... that's true

ROCKMAN

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 19, 2014 10:49

Rockman

......... that's true

Perhaps (probably?) because the blues forms part of the band's very foundations. They aren't in truth a blues band, but their very being is based on being blues-based.....

Date: May 19, 2014 10:54

Witness
DandelionPowderman
His Majesty

They were that, too.

Occasionly for a song or two, still may be.

Even if they don't play pure blues songs that often anymore, they still sound like a blues band when they pick it up again.

It's especially evident in this video, with Jeff Beck - who never wanna limit himself to playing the blues within a song. Our boys do, however. They probably don't regard it as a limitation either smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-19 10:54 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: May 19, 2014 12:31

Rolling Stones' all music is based on blues. Even songs like Miss You has a bluesy touch IMO. That's why they're unique.
(but of course they are not blues purists anymore, that would be boring)

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-19 12:49 by 1962.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: May 19, 2014 13:00

I Got The Blues

Date: May 19, 2014 13:12

I Got The Blues is mainly a soul song despite the title IMO, but the bluesy touch is there of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-19 13:18 by 1962.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 19, 2014 13:31

No, not a blues band, but a great rock and roll band because their foundation is so much based on the blues.

There is a saying that "the Blues had a baby, and they named it Rock and Roll".... the baby in question is not represented better by anyone else but the Rolling Stones...

- Doxa

Date: May 19, 2014 13:34

I Got The Blues is mainly a soul song despite the title IMO, but the bluesy touch is there of course.

The guitar has the bluesy melody.

The Stones transferred the American Rhythm & Blues into their own whiteness but I would define them as a Great Rock & Roll Band

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-19 13:42 by runaway.

Posted by: howled ()
Date: May 19, 2014 13:47

I think the Stones are a mixture of Blues and Rock and Pop but they can deviate from that depending on what trend they were chasing at what time to get in the charts.

Motown

Baroque/Pop

Folk/Pop

Disco/Punk/New Rockabilly

Psychedelica

Country Rock

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-19 13:55 by howled.

Date: May 19, 2014 13:52

runaway

The Stones transferred the American Rhythm & Blues into their own whiteness but I would define them as a Great Rock & Roll Band

No, it's in major, except for the rhythm playing during Billy's solo.

I Got The Blues has the classic Stax-ish soul build-up.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 19, 2014 14:08

They can manage to play blues quite well yes...but a blues band? Nope!

John Mayalls Bluesbreakers is more fully worth that kind of title...or Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac (just 2 albums)....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 19, 2014 14:20

BroomWagon
that's why they billed themselves as the greatest rock 'n' roll band in the world

Actually Sam Cutler did.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-19 14:21 by Koen.

Date: May 19, 2014 14:20

DandelionPowderman
runaway

No, it's in major, except for the rhythm playing during Billy's solo.

I Got The Blues has the classic Stax-ish soul build-up.

Soul and a slow blues mould.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: May 19, 2014 14:21

They started as a blues band but in the last 40 years blues has not been their strongest side. It's interesting - Keith, Ronnie, Charlie and Bill can do fantastic blues stuff separately from Stones but not together.

I agree that Stones is r'n'r band, the best ever.

Posted by: chris girard ()
Date: May 19, 2014 15:16

[youtu.be]

Etta Parker doing some Piedmont Blues, pretty unique stuff.

Chris

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2053
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home