Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Anybody else here think that Rolling Stones and rock music in general is childish?
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 17, 2014 13:02

shawnriffhard1
This line of thinking has all the desperation and insecurity of someone who was recently challenged by someone or something which revealed a deep lack of conviction in their own beliefs and likes, and consequently spun 180 deg. around to the most intellectual form of art they could handle (the pretentious bit about classical).

This is usually seen in 1st or 2nd year college students (mostly philosophy students) who come home on summer leave and begin spouting Nietsche or Plato or as in this case Beethoven (love all these cats by the way), to all the unwashed, un-enlightened "childish" folks back home. Hopefully, the light shines and they then realize the stupidity and immaturity of their holier than though viewpoint and calm down.

And furthermore, yes, striked is moronic, but to then stand by it and dig in when called on it exhibits a particularly strong strain of obstinate cluelessness.

There is a "s" in Nietzsche, and this time even "z"...

- Doxa

Re: Anybody else here think that Rolling Stones and rock music in general is childish?
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 17, 2014 13:40

This may sound sick but I live for the Stones, Bruce, Chuck Berry & Sports in general. The rest, work and dealing with folks are out of scope and beyond any means of happiness.

Yesterday.,, things were whacky at work and i made the comment that situation reminded of the Hollie's song "On a Carousel" They had no idea of what I was talking about.

Date: May 17, 2014 13:55

Me thinks it is childish to pose the question among people who enjoy this music. You must be a very unhappy and childish little person.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 17, 2014 14:16

HopeYouGuessMyName
Me thinks it is childish to pose the question among people who enjoy this music. You must be a very unhappy and childish little person.

You have no idea what kind of person the thread-starter is like so bugger off

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: May 17, 2014 14:29

Of course it's a silly music. It's only rocknroll. But we like it.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: May 17, 2014 14:34

Erik_Snow
HopeYouGuessMyName

You have no idea what kind of person the thread-starter is like so bugger off

You kind of just proved his point mate...

Posted by: RiffKichards ()
Date: May 17, 2014 14:46

No I don't think it is childish, it is simply different.

It depends on what you are calling to be a musician. The Stones are musicians if you consider that to arrange noise is to make music (100% of musicians are like that, I include music from Asia, Africa... ).They are not musician if you think that only classical music and written music should be called music (a few % of musicians).

Appart from this, the Stones live is an entertainment, you won't go to one of their show only for the music. Personnaly, I know their music by heart and I think that the setlist is rather boring (the same songs, played in the same way for the last 39 years).I go to a Stones show because it is the best entertainment, I am always on the first row to see my heroes, I shout, clap my hands, I become almost crazy. I always say, without being ashamed, that, during 2 hours, I feel like a child in front of father christmas (so it is childish). It is nothing but an entertainment, but the greatest one. The lyrics are rarely very good (it can occur) but who listen to them for the Stones ?

Is it childish ? certainly. At work, to denigrate colleagues, just to be promoted, even if you know that your colleagues'work is excellent is something very childish... but this attitude seems to be more respected than to play the fool in front of Mick and Keith.

I prefer to be an adult who loves to play the child from times to times (and who knows when) instead of being a child who plays the adult. I know many people of this second type.

tha

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 17, 2014 14:49

Erik_Snow
So I striked a nerve here, I see

I spent almost the entire 80ies listening to Classical Music since the rockers only produced shit that decade...I have still not decided which of all them Composers who's number one...Mozart maybe...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: May 17, 2014 14:54

I see your point, but I think you are over-generalising. For one thing, a lot of RS music is Blues, which is timeless.

And for me anyway, RS music is the music of my youth, when I was right on board with the lyrics. Listening to it now helps me re-experience that epoch in my life. I am interested in any new output however, and will give it a fair chance, but in a sense, for me they are irreplaceable because of how much I loved them when I was younger.

Date: May 17, 2014 14:59

Bastion
You kind of just proved his point mate...
Not at all. The "you just proved somebody's point" post is a poignant one, if used correctly, but it's just rubbish when using that line like you just did

RiffKichards
I prefer to be an adult who loves to play the child from times to times (and who knows when) instead of being a child who plays the adult. I know many people of this second type.

Makes sense! And as most of you know; I'm also a "listener" of Rolling Stones music. I made this thread as I was hoping for interesting posts, like yours

Of course some retards in MC-wests were bound to attack me, but that was expected

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 17, 2014 15:19

How are you feeling now Erik ? Has the illness passed, or are you still feeling rough ?

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: maloup ()
Date: May 17, 2014 15:31

I agree the Rolling Stones are childish,especially Mick and Keith are
behaving like that.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 17, 2014 15:54

His Majesty

For the most part, yes, but I think it is a good thing to keep as much of the inner child intact as possible through adulthood until the day you die.

Childlike wonder is one of the most precious things in life.

"Don't you think it's sometimes wise not to grow up"? smileys with beer

"Anybody else here think that Rolling Stones and rock music in general is childish?"

Yes, but we like it! cool smiley

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: May 17, 2014 15:58

I enjoy rock music. I grew up in the walkman age which means 99% of my listening is made through earphones thus a "private experience". I do not get into serching for explanations as for why I like what I like-as long as it is not destructive. I do not use drugs, hardly drink alcohol and was not tempted to do anything else The Rolling Stones frontmen did. If this it still childish-so it will be. as a semi Libreterian I find people who care too much about what others do raher silly thus childish.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-17 16:02 by Wroclaw.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 17, 2014 16:02

Where is Max when you need him to remind us that fun is a good thing to have?

Whatever the younger generation enjoys is usually dismissed as childish by the older - something they'll soon grow out of. "Rhythmic noise to twitch to" is one description that I remember from a few years ago. Keith says "music from the neck down". Erik says "music for monkeys." Part of being young is the ability to enjoy the necessary twitching and foot-tapping, but there's no reason why love for the music has to fade away along with the ability to dance to it. It isn't an intellectual exercise and it doesn't have to be (though one or two posts in the Mick Taylor threads have me wondering).

On the other hand, much classical music (not all) is music from the neck up. I for one enjoy it very much, but I don't expect to go to a Proms concert to sing along and clap my hands (though I might in the privacy of my home or car).

Of course rock'n'roll is "childish". So are many enjoyable things. If you find that growing older means that you no longer enjoy what you enjoyed in your twenties, then of course you need to concentrate on whatever does still bring you joy - but why tell others that by now they should be in the same boat?

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: May 17, 2014 16:04

Erik has a strong point. Classical Music gives me deeper experiences than R'n'R, but sometimes I like the groove of the Stones and Dylan.

Date: May 17, 2014 16:19

windmelody
Erik has a strong point. Classical Music gives me deeper experiences than R'n'R, but sometimes I like the groove of the Stones and Dylan.

Thanks!

I find myself listening to classical music most of the time, as it gives me something, that cheapo's like Rolling Stones does not.

But whenever I put on a RS record, I do enjoy it, no doubt.

Even though my thread here is a bit of a joke, it's also serious. I really get a lot more involved in my Chopin records than in my records of Rolling Stones.

BTW, the "cheapos" comment is not to be taken seriously, do not attack me for that please

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-17 16:25 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 17, 2014 16:19

Hey Erik, were you feeling "childish" when you purchased tickets for the Oslo and Berlin shows?

Can I have 'em? Please...pretty please, I used to say in kindergarten.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 17, 2014 16:27

Erik_Snow
"you you you got me rocking now" Sure thing.....!

if you were actually listening, it's "hey, hey, you got me rockin' now!".

Date: May 17, 2014 16:31

stonesrule
Hey Erik, were you feeling "childish" when you purchased tickets for the Oslo and Berlin shows?

Can I have 'em? Please...pretty please, I used to say in kindergarten.

Yes indeed I will see Mick Jagger and his band in Norway and Germany, but that has nothing to do with

And yes, it was just as childish as buying a can of ice-cream. Bad for your brain and your body.

Date: May 17, 2014 16:32

treaclefingers
Erik_Snow
"you you you got me rocking now" Sure thing.....!

if you were actually listening, it's "hey, hey, you got me rockin' now!".

I have always skipped that song. Thanks for proper lyrics. Now it surely make sense

Date: May 17, 2014 16:32

Erik_Snow
Not just for the sake of it; there is truth in my statement
Here's the greatest pianoplayer of our lifetime; Grigory Sokolov, playing a Beethoven piece that make the listener actually listen instead of just tapping his foot like a monkey, like Rolling Stones want us to do

I find myself tapping my foot to "Ode to Joy" in addition to wildly gesticulating with my hands.

I guess there are similarities to the music!

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: May 17, 2014 16:40

I'm surprised that no one has done this before, probably because it's a bit "childish" but hey-ho, what a drag it is getting old, eh?

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: varv ()
Date: May 17, 2014 16:43

Some people are just more mature and their tastes more sophisticated than others. It's only natural that they would see the Rolling Stones and rock music in general as childish. These are the people who wonder why I'm having a cheeseburger,fries,and a chocolate shake,when I could be eating snails and fish eggs.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: May 17, 2014 17:01

it's tiring being a grown up all the time .....

Date: May 17, 2014 17:02

All I'll say is that this

is above the level of this

in genius of composition. As far as lyrics go, the Stones blast Gershwin outta the water! winking smiley

Date: May 17, 2014 17:02

varv
Some people are just more mature and their tastes more sophisticated than others. It's only natural that they would see the Rolling Stones and rock music in general as childish. These are the people who wonder why I'm having a cheeseburger,fries,and a chocolate shake,when I could be eating snails and fish eggs.

so, are you saying these people are French?

Posted by: varv ()
Date: May 17, 2014 17:18

treaclefingers
varv

so, are you saying these people are French?

Oh no,there are mature,sophisticated,snail and fish egg eating people who dislike the Stones all over the world.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: May 17, 2014 17:23

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: May 17, 2014 17:35

It's not as simple as the premise of the thread.

The music is a bit biographical of the times, it be rock, country, soul, reggae.

I'd find it hard to call say, some Cream as "childish" while some other variants may well be.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

This Thread has been closed

Previous page Next page First page IORR home