Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Chuck Leavell interview
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 7, 2014 17:59

powerage78
I really prefer Stu and Nicky Hopkins, real rock'n roll "bastringue" players grinning smiley More fun, more feeling. smoking smiley

and......Mac !!!

Jeroen

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 7, 2014 18:18

corriecas
yeah sure, he is a nice guy, cares about the earth and thats wonderfull.

but.......he aint rock n roll. Bring back Mac !!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think Chuck spoils the stones music and dont do it any good with his eternal clickcalckclick. it becomes irritating, for me.

Hope this does not get me banned Bjornulf.

Jeroen
Doesnt keith spoil the music like playing sometimes like a kid starting out?

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: June 7, 2014 18:23

Yes grinning smiley

corriecas
powerage78
I really prefer Stu and Nicky Hopkins, real rock'n roll "bastringue" players grinning smiley More fun, more feeling. smoking smiley

and......Mac !!!

Jeroen

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 7, 2014 18:47

More Hot Rocks
corriecas

i think Chuck spoils the stones music and dont do it any good with his eternal clickcalckclick. it becomes irritating, for me.

Jeroen
Doesnt keith spoil the music like playing sometimes like a kid starting out?
touche.

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: June 7, 2014 19:08

corriecas

Jeroen

Rock n roll can sometimes be the thing you hear, not the thing you see or the thing you read in a so-called biography. Mac wasnt impressing when he played with the Stones, he was backing the sound with his playing... and playing aside with Stu. He did the backing vocals too, so his job in 1978-1981 was almost the same than Chuck's job. And in fact, Chuck join the Stones when Mac wasnt capable of doing what he was asked for. Nicky and Billy didn't `back-up nothing, they both were as important as the others. Mac never came on top of the mix, and listening to his playing wasnt impressing at all.

But you might like how Mac LOOKS and his way of living. Yeah, that's rock n roll isn't?
I really don't think Mac will do it better than Chuck. With Stu, Nicky and Billy banging keys on heaven, no one will do it better than Chuck. And there's almost 30 years of touring to prove it! You might not like it, but story tells that the Rolling Stones want to sound like they sound, play like they play and use Chuck as they use it.

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

Date: June 7, 2014 19:16

Wish Stu was still here...

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 7, 2014 19:29

If Chuck didn't fit in with The Stones any way at all, he would be out.

Personality,musicianship,ability, lifestyle ................. it all fits in with the 4 Rolling Stones. thumbs up

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 7, 2014 19:30

Has he saved enough money touring with the Stones to buy a real piano yet?

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: June 7, 2014 19:42

71Tele

>grinning smiley<

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: June 7, 2014 19:43

71Tele

+1!!

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

Date: June 7, 2014 19:53

With a piano, you play piano. With a keyboard, any instrument, and guitar, when guitarists don't...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 7, 2014 21:32

As many have stated, it's not that they dislike Chuck, just not with the Stones. But he's really just a symptom of the sclerotic state of the band. They're extremely set in their ways, with the days of adventure long past. They've basically had the same backing musicians for the last 25 years. They are now a guaranteed product. You know exactly what you are going to get set-wise and sound-wise. The young Stones would have made withering fun of the old Stones.

Date: June 8, 2014 21:35

Rocks off is the perfect exemple... Live, you realize that Chuck is not a rock'n roll piano player...

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 8, 2014 21:57

24FPS
As many have stated, it's not that they dislike Chuck, just not with the Stones. But he's really just a symptom of the sclerotic state of the band. The young Stones would have made withering fun of the old Stones.

This is extremely well said 24FPS! peace

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 8, 2014 22:01

24FPS
As many have stated, it's not that they dislike Chuck, just not with the Stones. But he's really just a symptom of the sclerotic state of the band. They're extremely set in their ways, with the days of adventure long past. They've basically had the same backing musicians for the last 25 years. They are now a guaranteed product. You know exactly what you are going to get set-wise and sound-wise. The young Stones would have made withering fun of the old Stones.

I agree with you,but there is nothing surprising about a bunch of 70 year olds wanting an uncomplicated life.

They have got a tried and tested way of doing things, and probably haven't hired and fired that many staff in the last 20 years.

As you say,a guaranteed product.
You've only got to read Chucks' Tour Diary to see that.

If I see 3 or 4 shows on this tour,I know 70% I have heard on the previous gig,but maybe the other 30% are differant at each gig I go to.
I'm happy with that. >grinning smiley<

Date: June 9, 2014 00:00

Chuck is the living personification of the Vegas-isation of the Stones. Not just his playing, but the boring, predictable, take-no-risks unartistic, unadventoruous approach they take. Don't bother telling me it's better than not having the Stones at all, I agree. It just could be so much more.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 9, 2014 01:03

71Tele
Chuck is the living personification of the Vegas-isation of the Stones. Not just his playing, but the boring, predictable, take-no-risks unartistic, unadventoruous approach they take. Don't bother telling me it's better than not having the Stones at all, I agree. It just could be so much more.

Maybe we're kidding ourselves when we think it could be so much more. Keith can barely get out the opening riffs to songs now. I read some people saying 'Keith is on Fire' on stage on this tour and then I hear it and I wonder about their ears, or standard for being 'On Fire'. The group obviously is not pining to do a side from Between The Buttons, or even dip their toes in a little Delta Blues. At least the Bigger Bang Tour had 'Back of My Hand'.

Doing the songs now that they could do in their sleep is what they can do, period. I'm sure Jagger could stretch out some more, and Ronnie seems up for anything, but Keith, and even Charlie, have plateaued. They want comfort now, not adventure. Chuck, Darryl, Lisa, Bernard, Bobby, these are comfortable people for them to be around; people they don't have to explain anything to. They too can do these setlists in their sleep.

For a certain percentage of the fan base, it just doesn't cut it anymore. They're glad for the group that they're still wanted out there, live, and I'm happy for those fans who have never seen them. I saw a number of blues artists in their sunsets, and I'm glad I did. Sure, I would have loved to see Muddy Waters and Little Walter ripping it up together in the 50s, but seeing Muddy sit on a stool and declare that he was, "A Rollin' Stone", in the 70s was enough for me. God bless every fan who sees the Rolling Stones and still gets a charge out of it.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: June 9, 2014 02:09

71Tele

What's especially frustrating is they still have it in them when they choose to. I think opening the 50 and counting tour with I Wanna Be Your Man was all at once exciting, unpredictable, risky, artistic and adventurous.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 9, 2014 03:00

71Tele said it all.

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: June 9, 2014 03:07

I have always wondered if any of the boys have ever spent some time down at Charlane. Would be a nice getaway for them.

Date: June 9, 2014 03:17

24FPS
71Tele

Maybe we're kidding ourselves when we think it could be so much more. Keith can barely get out the opening riffs to songs now. I read some people saying 'Keith is on Fire' on stage on this tour and then I hear it and I wonder about their ears, or standard for being 'On Fire'. The group obviously is not pining to do a side from Between The Buttons, or even dip their toes in a little Delta Blues. At least the Bigger Bang Tour had 'Back of My Hand'.

Doing the songs now that they could do in their sleep is what they can do, period. I'm sure Jagger could stretch out some more, and Ronnie seems up for anything, but Keith, and even Charlie, have plateaued. They want comfort now, not adventure. Chuck, Darryl, Lisa, Bernard, Bobby, these are comfortable people for them to be around; people they don't have to explain anything to. They too can do these setlists in their sleep.

For a certain percentage of the fan base, it just doesn't cut it anymore. They're glad for the group that they're still wanted out there, live, and I'm happy for those fans who have never seen them. I saw a number of blues artists in their sunsets, and I'm glad I did. Sure, I would have loved to see Muddy Waters and Little Walter ripping it up together in the 50s, but seeing Muddy sit on a stool and declare that he was, "A Rollin' Stone", in the 70s was enough for me. God bless every fan who sees the Rolling Stones and still gets a charge out of it.

When an artist chooses "comfort" ahead of risk or artistic statement, he or she is no longer an artist, but merely an entertainer.

I always enjoy the Rolling Stones as entertainers. They never fail to give me a couple of hours of fun - even joy. But I miss the artists called the Rolling Stones, who gave me lifetimes of enjoyment and introspection, and who changed my life and the life of an entire culture. What happened to those guys?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-09 03:24 by 71Tele.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: June 9, 2014 03:47

I actually prefer Billy and Mac (but that's just me).
They've used two keyboard players a lot over the years, whenever Stu wanted to plat, that is. Nowadays I don't see why they can't have Chuck and Mac; they can swap and MAc can play Hammond on tunes. Be kind of a funkier band, and cheaper than paying for a horn section that plays on only a few tunes.

Date: June 9, 2014 10:19

Chuck is really good on hammond organ.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 9, 2014 12:15

Bashing Chuck is so... noughties.grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: June 9, 2014 12:46

On the other hand: someone who's throwing guitarpicks with his name on it in the audience, while he doesn't play the quitar for one second at any Stones concert, well that is a little... strange at least?

Date: June 9, 2014 13:58

Who would that be?

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: June 9, 2014 15:29

"I always enjoy the Rolling Stones as entertainers. They never fail to give me a couple of hours of fun - even joy. But I miss the artists called the Rolling Stones, who gave me lifetimes of enjoyment and introspection, and who changed my life and the life of an entire culture. What happened to those guys?"

They became old. I am happy to seem them as they are now. Firstly, there are occasional sparks of their old selves. Second, I have never heard anybody else who can do the music of my life the same way they do. Finally, we have no option (except of not seeing them live at all).

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 9, 2014 17:42

71Tele
Bob C.
Good story. Chuck is great. I don't know why people on this site put him down.

Because we don't like his keyboard playing, and don't think it fits the Rolling Stones.

Mystery solved.
can Mac come back ?

Date: June 9, 2014 18:08

TheGreek
71Tele
Bob C.
Good story. Chuck is great. I don't know why people on this site put him down.

Because we don't like his keyboard playing, and don't think it fits the Rolling Stones.

Mystery solved.
can Mac come back ?

It's ok with me, but they haven't asked my opinion. smoking smiley

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: June 9, 2014 18:40

Chuck's work with others is great and soulful. I haven't been a fan of the Stones live sound since 1989 or so. So I don't get the singling out of the piano player.
I have more issues with their army of backup singers, yes, including Lisa...
If anything personifies the Stones' modern-era slick, sterile stage sound it's the Fifth Dimension on every Stones song.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2618
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home