Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Chuck Leavell interview
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 9, 2014 18:52

Because we don't like his keyboard playing, and don't think it fits the Rolling Stones.

I for one don't think that way and quite happy he is,and has been in the band for 30+ years.

Good on yer Chuck. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 9, 2014 19:19

MartinB
"I always enjoy the Rolling Stones as entertainers. They never fail to give me a couple of hours of fun - even joy. But I miss the artists called the Rolling Stones, who gave me lifetimes of enjoyment and introspection, and who changed my life and the life of an entire culture. What happened to those guys?"

They became old. I am happy to seem them as they are now. Firstly, there are occasional sparks of their old selves. Second, I have never heard anybody else who can do the music of my life the same way they do. Finally, we have no option (except of not seeing them live at all).

I ain't paying hundreds of dollars to 'see' anybody. You can't justify those prices without delivering a product commiserate to the amount paid. So, the conundrum is that that we have a lesser product, for an exorbitant price. The Rolling Stones have long passed the point where I need to see them. I've seen them close up from a couple feet away. I want to sit back, especially at these inflated prices, and hear music that justifies spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars.

The big problem is that the aural part of the deal, which is all that should matter at this point, is the weak link of the whole overpriced package. If they're basically presenting the same SteelVoodooBabylonLicksBang show, without the B-stage, or bridges, or mechanical dragons snorting fire, then we should be paying less, not more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-09 21:43 by 24FPS.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 9, 2014 19:22

crawdaddy
Because we don't like his keyboard playing, and don't think it fits the Rolling Stones.

I for one don't think that way and quite happy he is,and has been in the band for 30+ years.

Well, you, for one, are entitled to your opinion. I think he sounds like a lounge act Rolling Stones tribute band.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: June 9, 2014 20:11

24FPS
MartinB
"I always enjoy the Rolling Stones as entertainers. They never fail to give me a couple of hours of fun - even joy. But I miss the artists called the Rolling Stones, who gave me lifetimes of enjoyment and introspection, and who changed my life and the life of an entire culture. What happened to those guys?"

They became old. I am happy to seem them as they are now. Firstly, there are occasional sparks of their old selves. Second, I have never heard anybody else who can do the music of my life the same way they do. Finally, we have no option (except of not seeing them live at all).
If they're basically presenting the same SteelVoodooBabylonLicksBang show, without the B-stage, or bridges, or mechanical dragons snorting fire, then we should be paying less, not more.
I saw them live for the first time at Hyde Park last year and was grateful for the opportunity. There is no shame in finding ways to deliver a fantastic performance in the face of reduced technical skills in some band members - I found it pretty inspiring actually.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 9, 2014 20:49

24FPS
MartinB

I ain't paying hundreds of dollars to 'see' anybody. You can't justify those prices without delivering a product commiserate to the amount paid. So, the conundrum is that that we have a lesser product, for an exorbitant price. The Rolling Stones have long past the point where I need to see them. I've seen them close up from a couple feet away. I want to sit back, especially at these inflated prices, and hear music that justifies spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars.

The big problem is that the aural part of the deal, which is all that should matter at this point, is the weak link of the whole overpriced package. If they're basically presenting the same SteelVoodooBabylonLicksBang show, without the B-stage, or bridges, or mechanical dragons snorting fire, then we should be paying less, not more.

Have you seen how The Stones travel? The jets the hotels, food, personel. You are not just paying for the show you are paying for their lifestyle.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 9, 2014 21:16

It is not easy at all to play kb for the stones. They cover too many genres. Too many influences. The only two kb players that ever sounded right live were Ian and Nicky. Not a coincidence that Nicky had also a big part in creating in studio much of the stuff that was played on stage.

Billy - great player - but 60% of his playing live was over the top and too intrusive.

I agree with who noted that Mac's input was not material.

Matt Clifford played exactly what I would have never ever wanted to hear at a stones show.

So in this context Chuck is ok. I will never remember a show for his contribution, but he doesn't spoil the show either. And I guess that this should be a compliment.

C

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: June 9, 2014 21:43

Interviews like this are merely part of the "setup" for when the Stones are done, and the backing band (Chuck, Lisa, Bernard, Tim Ries, Mick T., etc) will then go out on the road with the same huge stage and same set list and light show, playing along with giant synchronized projection video screens showing pictures of Mick and Keith and the rest of the Stones so fans can "experience" a "Rolling Stones concert" virtually. You will see more interviews like this as time goes on, setting up the principal musicians and familiarizing the casual fans with their names and faces. They are trying to establish Chuck Leavell as a person worthy of carrying on the Stones legacy when they themselves are no longer able to be active. That is the purpose here.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 9, 2014 21:45

liddas
So in this context Chuck is ok. I will never remember a show for his contribution, but he doesn't spoil the show either. And I guess that this should be a compliment.

C

Fainter praise has never been issued. In other words if he wasn't there it wouldn't matter. At these prices you really deserve more.

Date: June 9, 2014 22:14

Have you seen how The Stones travel? The jets the hotels, food, personel. You are not just paying for the show you are paying for their lifestyle.

Well as I get older and still travel a lot,I still stay in hostels now and again ,but always have my own room and usually bathroom,but if you gotta share ,you gotta share.
I pay a lot more than 20 years ago when staying in up to 20 bed dorms all over the world.

The Stones are about 10 years older than me and they deserve to have an easy life when touring and pay for the best.
They are out there for fans and anyone else who want's to see The Rolling Stones at least once in their life. winking smiley

I have been lucky enough to seen them about 20 times,and don't begrudge their lifestyle at all.
Don't like the huge prices for Golden Circle and wished there could be a better way of getting the fans from IORR and other fans sites a lower price.
They are the best live act around and they will not be playing live forever.
We have got to see them live on stage while we can.
It's not gonna be many years away when a Live Rolling Stones gig will be something to remember from years gone past.
We can't take anything for granted. smileys with beer

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 9, 2014 22:34

crawdaddy

We have got to see them live on stage while we can.
It's not gonna be many years away when a Live Rolling Stones gig will be something to remember from years gone past.
We can't take anything for granted. smileys with beer

Well, maybe we got to see them live on stage while we can, yeah. But thinking of that, I have many times gone to seen my 'last Stones gig ever while it's still possible' but I don't think of any of those attended gigs, now thinking, are anything 'big' to remember about. They were great at the time, you know, to expect, be there, etc. but's that's about it, nothing particular afterwards to remember about, like some kind of big events stuck into my mind forever. Not at all. And things can go, as it has been going, forever like that.

I guess being thrilled of maybe seeing the Stones again, while is still possible, is more memorable than actually seeing them...

But just my view.

- Doxa

Date: June 9, 2014 23:01

I may have a differant view of you Doxa ,but out of the 20 or more gigs I seen, Oslo and Zurich are the top two.

Not just that they were the first and 3rd gigs on the Europe tour,but LD tix worked out great,meeting lovely people like Andreea,(zgubi),marianna,Christiano,gregor,loads of fans from Geneva,Germany and U.K.......................and having a good time in two lovely places.

It was so good in two places I have never been to before.

I really hope I meet these lovely people at other Stones gigs in Europe,South America .......................or anywhere. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 9, 2014 23:12

Yeah, crawdaddy, I also have fond memories of meeting fellow fans, and a Rolling Stones gig is altogether a best Place to meet so many people with such a great taste!grinning smiley, But what I was was saying was more about the musical content of the show. But as far as the 'events' go, absolutely great memories of any Stones gig!smileys with beer

- Doxa

Date: June 9, 2014 23:24

Doxa
Yeah, crawdaddy, I also have fond memories of meeting fellow fans, and a Rolling Stones gig is altogether a best Place to meet so many people with such a great taste!grinning smiley, But what I was was saying was more about the musical content of the show. But as far as the 'events' go, absolutely great memories of any Stones gig!smileys with beer

- Doxa

Agreed. thumbs up Hope to meet you sometime Doxa. smileys with beer

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: June 10, 2014 07:29

71Tele
crawdaddy

Well, you, for one, are entitled to your opinion. I think he sounds like a lounge act Rolling Stones tribute band.
That began with Ernie Watts and his famous kazoo.
Chuck is the least offensive component to an inflated back up band.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: June 10, 2014 09:29

stupidguy2
71Tele
crawdaddy

That began with Ernie Watts and his famous kazoo.
Chuck is the least offensive component to an inflated back up band.
What's wrong with the horns then ?

Posted by: erad ()
Date: June 10, 2014 10:48

Ernie Watts was awesome, he ripped it up on the '81 tour.

Date: June 10, 2014 13:33

erad

Just goes to show how we hear different things:
I keep reading about Chuck's tinker toy piano, but I don't hear that. But I do hear Ernie Watts' blowing his shrill kazoo all over Stones 81 and 82.
That hurt my ears.
He may have been a great musician in his own right but that thing sounded like it was coming out of someone's tight ass.
Different strokes...

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: June 10, 2014 13:42

I have to say that on this tour (since 2012) I've come to like Chuck Leavell's playing much more than in previous years. I really loved it at Hyde Park, as well as Daryll's bass playing (his playing with the Stones being the best ever since he joined them).

Chuck and Daryll are fine musicians, being able to play in a lot of different styles and in fact, they are "keeping it together" on stage. Charlie is a great drummer and I love his playing, but let's face it, he's not a perfect time-keeper (just listen to his breaks at Hyde Park).

The only thing I don't like about Chuck is his (non-)taste for stage-clothes. He should stick to a black t-shirt or single coloured shirt or a suit.

Posted by: erad ()
Date: June 10, 2014 13:44

stupidguy2
erad

I keep reading about Chuck's tinker toy piano, but I don't hear that. But I do hear Ernie Watts' blowing his shrill kazoo all over Stones 81 and 82.
That hurt my ears.
He may have been a great musician in his own right but that thing sounded like it was coming out of someone's tight ass.
Different strokes...
The world would be a pretty boring place without differing opinions!

Just to let you know btw, Ernie only played on the '81 tour, can't remember who played in '82.

Posted by: TurkuStonesFan ()
Date: June 10, 2014 14:41

dcba
Yeah he's a bit too clean and happy-sounding.
Otoh the very existence of the band rests on his shoulders and Mick's too, so we should be eternally grateful to Chuck for having the band in working condition until now.

Plus I'm sure Chuck IS the guy we should thank for the inclusion of some rarities in the setlist. He certainly can play every song from every album so when Mick or Keef suggests they try a certain tune, Chuck is the one who says "that's how this one goes... 1 2 3..."

Recently there was a discussion about banning some for comments.

Please give evidence that he is responsible for the existence of The Rolling Stones? I think Richards, Watts and Wood had more to do with this than you realize.

Posted by: claudine ()
Date: June 10, 2014 15:46

corriecas
yeah sure, he is a nice guy, cares about the earth and thats wonderfull.

but.......he aint rock n roll. Bring back Mac !!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think Chuck spoils the stones music and dont do it any good with his eternal clickcalckclick. it becomes irritating, for me.

Hope this does not get me banned Bjornulf.

Jeroen

thumbs up

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 10, 2014 15:56

Picking on Chuck is good fun, we all enjoy it from time to time but he is really an unselfish musician that plays to make the show a success, telegraph sections and keep the music flowing.

Date: June 10, 2014 17:01

erad
stupidguy2
erad

That hurt my ears.
Different strokes...
The world would be a pretty boring place without differing opinions!

Just to let you know btw, Ernie only played on the '81 tour, can't remember who played in '82.

Those two tours rend to merge together for me for some reason, but I stand corrected. I know that I can't listen to Still Life ...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 10, 2014 17:26

DoomandGloom
Picking on Chuck is good fun, we all enjoy it from time to time but he is really an unselfish musician that plays to make the show a success, telegraph sections and keep the music flowing.

Musical Director: A

Keyboardist: C-

Date: June 10, 2014 17:38

71Tele
DoomandGloom

Musical Director: A

Keyboardist: C-

Keyboardist: A
Pianist with keyboard: C

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 10, 2014 17:55

71Tele
Chuck is the living personification of the Vegas-isation of the Stones. Not just his playing, but the boring, predictable, take-no-risks unartistic, unadventoruous approach they take. Don't bother telling me it's better than not having the Stones at all, I agree. It just could be so much more.

Bravo. +1 on this

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: June 10, 2014 19:42

TheGreek
71Tele
Bob C.
Good story. Chuck is great. I don't know why people on this site put him down.

Mystery solved.
can Mac come back ?

Sure, why not...it's only been 33 years since he last played with them on stage.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 10, 2014 19:50

Yeah, 71Tele said it all.

Chuck is a very depressing subject.

He's not there just to play. His main job is dealing with all the backing people.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 10, 2014 21:34

I'm as much of a basher as anyone here but I think many are too hard on Chuck or don't understand how tough his role is and how it differs from the job of keyboard players in the past when the guitars ruled the stage.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 10, 2014 21:44

For me, regardless of how the guitars have changed, Stu and Nicky had that certain classiness that fit the Stones songs in a way that Chuck does not.
Still, it seems to work for the band or maybe they don't care as much as they once did.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1671
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home