Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Chuck Leavell interview
Posted by: BostonLass ()
Date: May 15, 2014 19:05

His daughters are not models - one of them is an endodontist!

[www.montgomeryadvertiser.com]

Re: Chuck Leavell interview
Posted by: Bob C. ()
Date: May 16, 2014 23:44

Good story. Chuck is great. I don't know why people on this site put him down.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 16, 2014 23:50

An amusing photo accompanying the interview: Chuck Leavell torches up the roadside!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 16, 2014 23:53

Indeed, dude's a badass ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: FanOfGRARBITW ()
Date: May 16, 2014 23:57

Bob C.

Chuck IS great. He is a great musician who can oversee arrangements of songs,and many other functions besides just doing his duties as the piano player. My problem is that despite his admirable talent - and he is very talented, I play the piano a bit but I doubt I could ever play as well as him - his STYLE of playing just doesn't seem to gel with the Stones the way Ian Stewart or Ian Mclagen did. His playing certainly doesn't kill my enjoyment of the Stones and there are a handful of songs where I do really do like what he plays, but I just think the Stones sounded better with the two aforementioned Ians. The Ians rule.

"Gonna find my way to heaven because I did my time in hell"
- Dan -
Fan of The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in The World

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 17, 2014 00:13

Bob C.

Because we don't like his keyboard playing, and don't think it fits the Rolling Stones.

Mystery solved.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 17, 2014 00:25

Yeah he's a bit too clean and happy-sounding.
Otoh the very existence of the band rests on his shoulders and Mick's too, so we should be eternally grateful to Chuck for having the band in working condition until now.

Plus I'm sure Chuck IS the guy we should thank for the inclusion of some rarities in the setlist. He certainly can play every song from every album so when Mick or Keef suggests they try a certain tune, Chuck is the one who says "that's how this one goes... 1 2 3..."

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 17, 2014 00:26

I think he's the driving force in the Stones camp...............and he play the piano well IMO grinning smiley....ok it will never be like the good old Nicky/Stew time...

Posted by: ROPS ()
Date: May 17, 2014 00:31

Chuck and Mick are the leaders of The Rolling Stones,they pick which songs are to be played,the tempo,in which order,etc,and then they tell the rest of the band,which basically act as backing musicians,for the two.....

"You know who l am, say it"

Posted by: MidnightPeanut ()
Date: May 17, 2014 00:40

BostonLass
His daughters are not models - one of them is an endodontist!

[www.montgomeryadvertiser.com]

Chuck may very well be the nicest guy around. It's his playing that I find less than enchanting. Although it must be recognized that it would be difficult for any player to fill the shoes of Stu and Nicky...

It would be great to hear how Ben Waters would sound with our favorite band for more than just one or two songs!

Date: May 17, 2014 00:44

ROPS
Chuck and Mick are the leaders of The Rolling Stones,they pick which songs are to be played,the tempo,in which order,etc,and then they tell the rest of the band,which basically act as backing musicians,for the two.....

Does that make his keyboard playing sound better? Really, why respond to criticisms about his playing by talking about attributes or qualities unrelated to his playing? Seems like this happens every time someone dares say they don't like Chuck's keyboard playing, but I don't see too many passionate defenses of his actual playing or sound - only posts about what a nice guy he is or how important he is to the setlists, rarities, etc.

Date: May 17, 2014 00:55

71Tele
ROPS

Does that make his keyboard playing sound better? Really, why respond to criticisms about his playing by talking about attributes or qualities unrelated to his playing? Seems like this happens every time someone dares say they don't like Chuck's keyboard playing, but I don't see too many passionate defenses of his actual playing or sound - only posts about what a nice guy he is or how important he is to the setlists, rarities, etc.
71Tele,l am not a musician,but ihmo,his playing fits right with what the boys do nowdays,which to me is very average, playing wise....

Date: May 17, 2014 00:56

ROPS
71Tele
ROPS

71Tele,l am not a musician,but ihmo,his playing fits right with what the boys do nowdays,which to me is very average, playing wise....

That's certainly what I would call "damning with faint praise"! smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-17 00:57 by 71Tele.

Date: May 17, 2014 01:02

71Tele
ROPS
71Tele
ROPS

That's certainly what I would call "damning with faint praise"! smoking smiley
smileys with beer

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 17, 2014 04:34

71Tele
Bob C.

Because we don't like his keyboard playing, and don't think it fits the Rolling Stones.

Mystery solved.

Who said that? Mick and Keith? Or people that know more than The Stones.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 7, 2014 15:12

Met Chuck and his missus very briefly in Oslo,and they were both such nice people.

I personally think he fits in well with The Stones.

Looked at his website when in Oslo and can see their Tour Diary,although it is a bit out of date.

Can't see that they get much time to update it ,but it gives you a great insight into life on the road with The Rolling Stones. winking smiley

Japan and Paris are particularly interesting.

Chucks' website

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: June 7, 2014 15:24

chuck obviously gives a lot to the stones musical arrangements.

i dont really know much about music, but i do know when i enjoy a song or not.

theres a lot of criticism of the stones "vegas" era but without it, they would have either continued on from dirtywork and doing gigs that sounded like their 1970,s more rough and stripped down tours. how far could they have taken that without being criticized, not far i think.

with the "vegas" era, the band have introduced many songs they wouldnt have otherwise, many rare songs and songs that dissapeared from the radar once brian jones left the band.

i think chuck is a huge part of that and deserves a lot of credit for helping to bring a new dimension to the stones sound and image that they badly needed.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: June 7, 2014 15:50

More Hot Rocks
71Tele
Bob C.

Mystery solved.

None of the above. People who attend and listen to their shows.

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: June 7, 2014 15:54

FanOfGRARBITW
Bob C.

Chuck IS great. He is a great musician who can oversee arrangements of songs,and many other functions besides just doing his duties as the piano player. My problem is that despite his admirable talent - and he is very talented, I play the piano a bit but I doubt I could ever play as well as him - his STYLE of playing just doesn't seem to gel with the Stones the way Ian Stewart or Ian Mclagen did. His playing certainly doesn't kill my enjoyment of the Stones and there are a handful of songs where I do really do like what he plays, but I just think the Stones sounded better with the two aforementioned Ians. The Ians rule.

Iam McLagan? How many songs did he play with the Stones? What about a tiny guy called Nicky Hopkins? Really drives me mad the "official story" of Stone's pìano players. As a guitar-driven band, I understand you just can't hear a piano, but putting on the spot McLagan? What did he do? Angie? We love you? She's a rainbow? Rip this joint? Loving cup? Sympathy? Come on, please!

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

Date: June 7, 2014 16:36

People don't know who the heck is playing on records unless they are told.

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: June 7, 2014 16:47

More Hot Rocks

Not true... I still claim that Stu DID play live in 1972 on Brown Sugar and Sweet Virginia, and many still think the "oficiall story" (Nicky was the piano player, although they just can't hear him) is truth. Well... It is easy to say when Taylor or Keith is playing, so also it's easy to say when plays Stu or Nicky or Mac or Billy or anybody else winking smiley.

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

Date: June 7, 2014 16:56

dandelion1967
More Hot Rocks

Not true... I still claim that Stu DID play live in 1972 on Brown Sugar and Sweet Virginia, and many still think the "oficiall story" (Nicky was the piano player, although they just can't hear him) is truth. Well... It is easy to say when Taylor or Keith is playing, so also it's easy to say when plays Stu or Nicky or Mac or Billy or anybody else winking smiley.

Im not talking about guitars. yes I agree some people can tell keyboard players. But if lets say The Stones put out a new record and had Chuck listed in the credits when it really was someone else people would hate it because they would think it was Chuck. I don't know who the heck is playing keyboards on This Place Is Empty or Jessica unless I read the credits.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-07 16:57 by More Hot Rocks.

Date: June 7, 2014 17:02

dandelion1967
FanOfGRARBITW
Bob C.

Iam McLagan? How many songs did he play with the Stones? What about a tiny guy called Nicky Hopkins? Really drives me mad the "official story" of Stone's pìano players. As a guitar-driven band, I understand you just can't hear a piano, but putting on the spot McLagan? What did he do? Angie? We love you? She's a rainbow? Rip this joint? Loving cup? Sympathy? Come on, please!

The best selling Stones album to date - for starters...

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: June 7, 2014 17:14

I really prefer Stu and Nicky Hopkins, real rock'n roll "bastringue" players grinning smiley More fun, more feeling. smoking smiley

Date: June 7, 2014 17:20

Welcome back! smiling smiley

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: June 7, 2014 17:25

Beast
More Hot Rocks
71Tele
Bob C.

Mystery solved.

None of the above. People who attend and listen to their shows.

But I would strongly suggest there just isn't a point to criticizing him anymore. People bring up the fact he helps choose songs and does the arrangements when people knock his playing because one, they want to highlight what he DOES contribute, and two, without Chuck, as much as it pains Chuck critics, this band might not be as good as it is onstage anymore or onstage at all. One reason why these guys stay together at the age of 70+ and 50+ years of being a band is that it still sounds good to them and they enjoy playing together. Good arrangements and songs to play are no small part of that scenario. If something were to happen to any band member at this stage, Mick, Keith, Ronnie, Charlie or Chuck, it likely is the end of the touring Stones. Especially Mick of course.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: June 7, 2014 17:31

I think it's generally agreed that Chuck is a nice chap, and undoubtedly a very talented musician/arranger. But as many have pointed out, his sound is simply not the Stones sound. I'm not a pianist so can;t comment on exactly what the difference is in musical terms but to my ear he is too flamboyant for R & B. The two Ians were straight down the line R&B players out of the same mould as The Stones themselves.

I've come to terms with the fact that we will always have Chuck on board, but I just wish he would at least make some kind of effort to pay homage to he roots of the band and at least try and work a different feeling into it. His playing on Sympathy just ruins the intro and on many other songs he over does it. Ian Stewart was more than happy to ply his trade way down in the mix, but it still gave a song a certain Stones sound rather than being out front and in your ears.

Loved Chuck's work with the Allmans and I guess roots are something you can't change musically - it's all about feeling.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: June 7, 2014 17:42

Thanks DP, I'm happy ! winking smiley

DandelionPowderman
Welcome back! smiling smiley

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 7, 2014 17:55

Chuck's OK with me, after all he wrote the book...

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 7, 2014 17:57

yeah sure, he is a nice guy, cares about the earth and thats wonderfull.

but.......he aint rock n roll. Bring back Mac !!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think Chuck spoils the stones music and dont do it any good with his eternal clickcalckclick. it becomes irritating, for me.

Hope this does not get me banned Bjornulf.

Jeroen

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1418
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home