Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7778798081828384858687...LastNext
Current Page: 82 of 106
OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 21, 2020 17:54

[www.thewho.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-22 20:18 by bye bye johnny.

Date: August 22, 2020 17:07

Annette Walter-Lax interview with Ken Sharp of Goldmine:

The last years of Keith Moon's life

Ken Sharp talks to Annette Walter-Lax about her boyfriend, the legendary Who drummer Keith Moon, and the last four years of his life.

[www.goldminemag.com]

--

Re: OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: bam ()
Date: August 23, 2020 00:27

Today’s episode was good. I hadn’t seen that Naked Eye clip before. More lead guitar shredding from Pete than most Who songs.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: August 24, 2020 03:10

I was there at the Isle of Wight in 1970, but I can't remember The Who or too much else other than Jimi Hendrix, Free and Richie Havens. I guess this confirms the saying that if you can remember those days, you really can't have been there grinning smiley

Posted by: gustavobala ()
Date: August 24, 2020 03:31

are some bootleg´s site from the who?

i never find

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: August 24, 2020 09:18

I met John Entwistle's niece in Raleigh, NC in 1995/96, sweet & pretty girl, we hit it off, she kissed me...I can't go into further details about the encoutner or circumstances of exactly where/when etc. for anonymity.

I just remember thinking how cool it was to meet a family member of Rock Royalty, The Ox, aka Thunderfingers! (RIP & thanks John)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-24 13:15 by KevinM.

Date: August 27, 2020 21:13

[www.thewho.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-29 21:45 by bye bye johnny.

Date: September 4, 2020 18:42

[www.thewho.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-05 20:17 by bye bye johnny.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: September 4, 2020 19:36

Gotta say the first of these offerings from The Who was the best so far, but good on them for giving us a weekly fix of what they do best, on a Saturday night.
Looks like this latest video they are showing us is unreleased stuff so should be good. thumbs up

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: September 5, 2020 05:13

crawdaddy
Gotta say the first of these offerings from The Who was the best so far, but good on them for giving us a weekly fix of what they do best, on a Saturday night.
Looks like this latest video they are showing us is unreleased stuff so should be good. thumbs up

It looks like an Encore Series DVD they released from 2006/2007 tour.

They actually have some on clearance for $5 each

[themusic.com]

Date: September 5, 2020 15:41

Thanks for that heads up, Dan. Hadn't looked at that site in years.

Ordered a buncha stuff.: )

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: September 6, 2020 02:51

bye bye johnny
Thanks for that heads up, Dan. Hadn't looked at that site in years.

Ordered a buncha stuff.: )

I have at least 80 by now and a bunch of Peter Gabriel, a few Genesis. Wish I bought some Duran Duran when it was available.

Now I really need the Cork, Ireland encore series DVD.

Date: September 12, 2020 22:36

I hope bbj is well but I thought I would have a look at what The Who have as there last weekly video for us.
Here it is on this link somewhere....... I hope.
Haven't seen it myself yet. smileys with beer

[www.thewho.com]

Date: September 12, 2020 23:23

Hey crawdaddy, thanks for checking in. All's well. Good to know there was at least one other person watching these weekly clips. ; )

[www.thewho.com]

Date: September 13, 2020 00:20

Glad you are keeping well bbj.
Not much internet access these days but will have a look Sunday morning if anything to do with The Stones or The Who have anything new to offer us. smileys with beer

OT: THE WHO - RAREST of the RARE & UNRELEASED
Date: September 17, 2020 03:32

The Who-Unreleased

[forums.stevehoffman.tv]

NOTE: * denotes songs that have been said to have been recorded by the band but their existence remains unconfirmed.

1965-"My Generation" sessions
You Don't Have to Jerk

1967-"The Who Sellout" sessions
Bob Sings Soul

1968-"Who's For Tennis" sessions
Joys
Facts of Life
Now I’m A Farmer [‘68] early version (not '70 vs.)
Shakin’ All Over [studio] early vs.

1968/1969-"Tommy" sessions
Beat Up
Dream (Erotic)
Dream (School Song)
Success
Girl From Lincoln County
One Room Country Shack

1970-Aborted LP/EP sessions
Heaven and Hell [unreleased, non-BBC studio version] (Who's Missing version is diff. mix)
There’s A Fortune In Those Hills

1971-"Lifehouse"/"Who's Next" sessions
Mary*
Greyhound Girl*

1972-"Rock Is Dead--Long Live Rock!" sessions
Ambition
Join Together [unedited]
Can’t You See I’m Easy?*
Riot In The Female Jail*

1973-"Quadrophenia" sessions
Bank Holiday Bash
Four Faces [original “Quadrophenia” mix]
Wizardry

1975-"Who By Numbers" sessions
Keep Me Turning*
Misunderstood*
Gotta Fight to Make You Mine*
To Barney Kessel*
Blue, Red, and Grey [band version]
Good Times Coming*
Wild Horses*
Girl in a Suitcase*

1978-"Who Are You" sessions
Keep On Working
Never Ask Me (P.Townsend demo) on YT
1981-"Face Dances" sessions
Back On The Road*

1982-"It's Hard" sessions
Eminence Front [Daltrey vocals]
One Life’s Enough [Townshend vocals]

2006-"Endless Wire" sessions
Certified Rose*
Uncertain Girl

Others:
It Was You (1963/4)
Do You Want Kids, Kids?* (1968)
Crossroads Now* (sometime within the last 15 years)
*Day of Silence & Alt.vs.=Meh!!
*Frankenstein Monster Party
Ambition
I Was ('03 Tommy bonus track)
Dance It Away
Do The Strip
Time Is Passing

[www.oocities.org]

THE WHO: UNRELEASED RECORDINGS 1964-1998

Note: This page attempts to deal with recordings of songs which are known to exist (either by their appearance on bootlegs or reference made to them in books and press articles on the Who) but which have not been officially released anywhere. The focus here is clearly on songs which have never been released in any form by the group, but also on significant variations in previously released songs (such as the version of "Join Together" which nearly doubles the length of the familiar version). Live performances are dealt with here only if they were at some point intended for an official release (such as the aborted 1968 live album) or are unique songs which were professionally recorded, and therefore are more likely to be released in the future (there are, for instance, dozens of professionally recorded live versions of "I Can't Explain," only a couple of "I Saw Here Standing There"). Unreleased live recordings will be dealt with on the recording chronology page where the setlist of each known professionally recorded concert will be posted. For tracks which are derived from the "Atkins list," please note the disclaimer at the bottom of the page.---SR

AUTO-DESTRUCT!!! A possible unreleased track dating from 1965. A smash-up finale perhaps? From the "Atkins list."

BABA O'RILEY (Pete Townshend) The synthesizer backing track to "Baba" is much longer than the five minute version released by the Who, and it is possible that a group version exists which utilizes the whole track.

BANK HOLIDAY An outtake song mentioned for possible use as a bonus track on the 1996 reissue of Quadrophenia. It was ultimately decided to leave bonus tracks off the reissue, as they would disturb the artistic unity of the song cycle. The Quad outtake "We Close Tonight" was released on the Odds And Sods reissue and three others are on The Quadrophenia Soundtrack.

BATMAN THEME (Neal Hefti) An instrumental version recorded ca. 66-67. Called "Caped Crusaders" on some bootlegs. For the released versions, see BATMAN.; on A Quick One (bonus track)

BLUE RED AND GREY (Pete Townshend) A full band version is said to exist.
BONY MORONIE (Larry Williams) A studio version may have been recorded in 1971. From the "Atkins list."

CAN'T YOU SEE I'M EASY (Pete Townshend) A song recorded in May 1972 at Olympic Studios, Barnes for an album that was never released. See UNRELEASED 1972 ALBUM below.

CITY OF FLAMES (LONDON'S BURNING) A possible unreleased track dating from 1965. No other information known. From the "Atkins list."

CLASSIFIED (Pete Townshend) This song, dating from 1972, was released on the B-side of Pete's "Let My Love Open The Door" U.K. single in 1980. It, and the other B-side song, "Greyhound Girl," were noted as "found beneath the Eel Pie floorboards." They may have been recorded by the Who for the UNRELEASED 1972 ALBUM described below.

C'MON EVERYBODY (Eddie Cochran and Jerry Capehart) One of three Cochran songs professionally recorded at the Fillmore East in April of 1968 (the others being "Summertime Blues" and "My Way"). No Who version of this song, live or studio, has been released.

DANCE TO KEEP FROM CRYING (James Peterik) A song the Who (and Detours) performed often in the early days, and may have made a studio recording of in 1965 or '66. A studio version is mentioned in the "Atkins list."

DANCING IN THE STREET (Marvin Gaye, William Stevenson, Ivy Joe Hunter) A live-in-studio version recorded 3/15/66 at the BBC Playhouse Theatre, London. First broadcast on Saturday Club, 3/19/66.

meh=DAY OF SILENCE (Pete Townshend) Pete's solo version of this song, in praise of Meher Baba's vow of silence and the value of quiet reflection, was released on the Meher Baba tribute album Happy Birthday in 1970 and now appears on the CD of Who Came First. A version may have been recorded by the Who, but the subject matter is quite un-Who-like. A Who version is mentioned in the "Atkins list." Alt.vs., also Meh!!

DO YOU WANT KIDS, KIDS? (Pete Townshend) An anti-smoking song which was presented to the American Cancer Society as an alternative to "Little Billy." This one was considered too gruesome, though!

DOGS, PART TWO (Keith Moon, Towser and Jason) As with "Join Together" (see below), a much longer, unedited take of this song may exist. A long version is mentioned in the "Atkins list."

A DROP IN THE OCEAN A possible unreleased track dating from 1970. No other information known. From the "Atkins list."

EMINENCE FRONT (Pete Townshend) A studio version recorded during It's Hard sessions at Turn Up-Down Studios, Surrey, 5-6/82. Featuring lead vocals by Roger Daltrey.

FRANKENSTEIN'S MONSTER PARTY A possible unreleased track dating from 1967. Inspired by "Monster Mash" perhaps? From the "Atkins list."
THE GIRL WITH THE FLOWERS A possible unreleased track dating from 1968. No other information known. From the "Atkins list."

GOOD LOVIN' (Arthur Resnick and Rudy Clark) A live-in-studio version recorded 5/24/65 at the BBC Playhouse Theatre, London. First broadcast on Saturday Club, 5/29/65.

GREAT SHAKES A radio jingle for Great Shakes milkshakes which was probably recorded 2/26/68 in L.A. during the same session which produced "Call Me Lightning," "Little Billy," and "Do You Want Kids, Kids?" The Yardbirds also recorded a version of the "Great Shakes" jingle, incidentally.

HARLEM SHUFFLE (Earl Lee Nelson and Bob Relf) The Who may have recorded a studio version of Bob and Earl's dance hit in 1966. From the "Atkins list."
HOWEVER MUCH I BOOZE (THERE AIN'T NO WAY OUT) (Pete Townshend) A version of this Who By Numbers song may have been recorded featuring vocals by Roger Daltrey. Daltrey felt the song was too personal and self-referential on Townshend's part, and so had him take the vocal on the released version. Daltrey vocal version mentioned in the "Atkins list."

I CAN SEE FOR MILES (Pete Townshend) An alternate studio version from 1967 may exist featuring lead vocal by Pete Townshend. From the "Atkins list."
I SAW HER STANDING THERE (John Lennon and Paul McCartney) (Version I) A rehearsal version recorded at Shepperton Studios during the filming of The Kids Are Alright in 1978. This version wasn't included in the film or the soundtrack LP but was broadcast on radio programs promoting the film. Vocal by Keith Moon. (Version II) A version professionally recorded live at Shea Stadium, 10/13/82, for potential use on the double-LP Who's Last. Vocal by John Entwistle.

IT WAS YOU (Pete Townshend) A studio version recorded in 1963 at Barry Gray's home studio, England; produced and engineered by Barry Gray. Performed by the Detours (Roger Daltrey, Pete Townshend, John Entwistle, and Doug Sandom). The earliest known recording by three founding members of the Who, as well as the first Townshend composition ever recorded.

JIMMY'S DILEMMA A possible Quadrophenia outtake, perhaps an alternate title for the song now known as "We Close Tonight"? From the "Atkins list."
JINGLE BELLS (traditional; arranged by the Who) A unique and truly odd version of the seasonal ditty, recorded live, 12/24/65 for the Christmas edition of Ready Steady Go!.

JOIN TOGETHER (Pete Townshend) The full take (@ 7'15) of the version recorded 5/22/72 at Olympic Studios, Barnes; produced by the Who and Glyn Johns. Intended for release on the LP Odds And Sods in 1974.
JUST YOU AND ME (aka "JUST YOU AND ME, DARLING") (James Brown) A live-in-studio version recorded 5/24/65 at the BBC Playhouse Theatre, London. First broadcast on Saturday Club, 5/29/65.

KEEP ME TURNING (Pete Townshend) A brilliant song which Pete recorded with Ronnie Lane for their album, Rough Mix, which appeared in 1977. The Who may have recorded the song during sessions for The Who By Numbers in May of 1975. A Who version is mentioned in the "Atkins list."
KEEP ON WORKING=meh! (Pete Townshend) The Who's studio version of a song later released on Pete Townshend's solo album Empty Glass in 1980. Intended for release on Who Are You, in 1978.

LADIES IN THE FEMALE JAIL (Pete Townshend) A song recorded in May 1972 at Olympic Studios, Barnes for an album that was never released. See UNRELEASED 1972 ALBUM below.

LET THERE BE DRUMS A possible unreleased track dating from 1978. A Keith Moon showcase? From the "Atkins list."

MARY (Pete Townshend) A beautiful, haunting tune, recorded by the Who during the preliminary Lifehouse sessions at the Record Plant, New York, March 1971. The demo of this song appears on Pete Townshend's Scoop. According to the liner notes to the 1995 edition of Who's Next: "some of the 25-year-old master tapes containing unreleased songs (such as 'Time Is Passing' and 'Mary') have been lost or have deteriorated beyond repair." The tape of "Time Is Passing" has since been salvaged for an official release, and hopefully, the lost master of the Who's "Mary" will turn up one day.

MIRACLES NEVER CEASE A possible unreleased track dating from 1967. No other information known. From the "Atkins list."

MY FAVORITE STATION (Pete Townshend) The commercial jingle version of "My Generation," used to promote the BBC's Radio One.
MY WIFE (John Entwistle) A version may exist with lead vocals by Roger Daltrey. From the "Atkins list."

ONE LIFE'S ENOUGH (Pete Townshend) A version featuring vocals by Pete Townshend was considered for inclusion on the 1997 reissue of It's Hard.
(ONE ROOM) COUNTRY SHACK (Mose Allison) A song considered for inclusion on Tommy in the early stages. "Young Man Blues" was also going to be a part of Tommy but it, too, was left off.

RIOT IN THE FEMALE JAIL (see "LADIES IN THE FEMALE JAIL") aka Women's Liberation

ROCK IS MY RELIGION A possible unreleased track dating from 1972. Perhaps intended for the project Rock Is Dead, Long Live Rock which became Quadrophenia. From the "Atkins list."

ROCK IS DEAD, LONG LIVE ROCK A provisional title for the 1972 project about the history of the Who which evolved into Quadrophenia. It may also have been the title for an alternate version of the song, "Long Live Rock."
SHE'S A SENSATION (Pete Townshend) An early version of the song which became "Sensation" on Tommy, but this one was "about a bird." The Who may have recorded this version, but it's unlikely.

SIGNAL 30 (2'54) An instrumental studio recording. Pobably intended for the proposed instrumental Who EP that was scrapped in 1967. This song may have been renamed "Sodding About"--a title which was announced for inclusion on the revised edition of Odds And Sods but did not make the final cut.

SMOKESTACK LIGHTNING (Chester Burnett) A Howlin' Wolf song which was heavily covered by British R&B bands in the sixties (most notably, the Yardbirds). The Who inserted this song into their set from time to time throughout their career, most notably as part of a medley with "Shakin' All Over" (normally they used "Spoonfu" for this purpose). A good example is the Amsterdam Concertgebouw performance of Sept. 29, 1969.

SURFIN' BIRD (Alfred Frazier, John Earl Harris, Turner Wilson, Jr., and Carl White) The Who may have recorded a version of the Trashmen's surf-music cult classic in 1966, with Keith as vocalist. From the "Atkins list."
TEENAGE RAMPAGE A possible unreleased track dating from 1975. No other information known. From the "Atkins list."

TO THE LIFEHOUSE A possible unreleased track from 1971 (A bridge between songs in the unreleased LIFEHOUSE album?). From the "Atkins list."
WIZARDRY A Quadrophenia outtake, considered for inclusion on the 1996 reissue. See also BANK HOLIDAY above.

YOU CAN'T SIT DOWN (Phil Upchurch) The Who recorded a version of Philadelphia doo-wop group, the Dovell's 1965 dance hit, in 1966.

YOU DON'T HAVE TO JERK (Pete Townshend) An unreleased track dating from 1965. Touted as a follow-up single to "I Can't Explain," but it never transpired.
YOU RANG? (John Entwistle. Keith Moon, and Pete Townshend) An instrumental inspired by the Addams Family television show, recorded live 12/24/65 for the Ready Steady Go! Christmas show.

[www.oocities.org]
Home (Intro)

Albums
[www.oocities.org]

Recording Chronology

UNRELEASED ALBUMS

WHO'S FOR TENNIS This was the title for a proposed 1968 album of studio material that would fill the void until Townshend had finished the rock opera he was developing. Two tracks specifically mentioned in relation to this album were "Glow Girl" and "Faith In Something Bigger." Other 1968 tracks which could have been included were "Little Billy," "Fortune Teller," "Call Me Lightning," "Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde," "Dogs," and "Magic Bus." The first three tracks mentioned here were released on Odds And Sods in 1974. "Fortune Teller" was released on Thirty Years Of Maximum R&B in 1994. The last four tracks were released as single sides during 1968 and appear on various compilation albums.
Instead of Who's For Tennis, the Who's record companies in the U.S. and England released the compilation albums, Magic Bus--The Who On Tour and Direct Hits, respectively. See ALBUMS AND EPs.

THE WHO: LIVE AT THE FILLMORE EAST Again, as a means of keeping the Who's work before the public while Tommy was "in utero," the group considered releasing a live album recorded at one of their favorite U.S. venues, Bill Graham's Fillmore Auditorium East in New York. According to Dave Marsh's Before I Get Old, the Who may also have made official recording of Fillmore West shows from 1968 for this purpose. The Fillmore shows were never officially released because they lacked the technical perfection Townshend desired, and they depended too much on old material. (Strangely, this rationale didn't prevent the release of several compilation albums, or the Live At Leeds LP!) The recording of the Who's April 6th show at the Fillmore East has become one of the most heavily bootlegged Who performances, and apparently still exists in good condition. See RECORDING CHRONOLOGY for set-list.

UNRELEASED 1970 EP Due to their constant touring to promote the mega-hit Tommy album throughout 1969 and '70, the Who could find little time to record new studio material. The fantastic Live At Leeds album helped to bridge the gap between studio albums, but an EP of new material was also planned for late 1970. The tracks were recorded at Pete's Eel Pie Studios during the summer, but the EP never appeared. The tracks were: "Postcard," "Water," "Naked Eye," "Now I'm A Farmer," and "I Don't Even Know Myself." Note: "Water" was released as the B-side of "5.15" (U.K. single) & "Love Reign O'er Me" (U.S. single) in 1973. "I Don't Even Know Myself" was the B-side of "Won't Get Fooled Again" in 1971. The other tracks were released on Odds And Sods in 1974. "Now I'm A Farmer" was originally intended for Townshend's "rock opera," according to a 1968 report by Chris Welch.

LIFEHOUSE This was the title for the mother of all unreleased Who albums. Lifehouse was a pretty deep and complex concept, which has never been fully elucidated. The basic concept rests on a science-fictional scenario of a future world in which individuality is severely limited. People have given up normal modes of experience in favor of "experience suits" which meet their basic needs and desires. Into the mix comes a young rebel, Bobby, who tries to restore indviduality and free-thinking through (you guessed it) Rock And Roll. He takes over a small theatre and conducts a series of rock concerts which merge the goals and ideals of performers and audience. The whole plot is way too complicated to recount here, and in fact, is probably far from finished. I may add a separate Lifehouse page to this site eventually. At any rate, Townshend's Lifehouse concept was far too ambitious to achieve as he envisioned it (it also included a motion picture project and an ongoing live performance experience--mucho multimedia). When preliminary sessions in New York City in early 1971 broke down, the Who returned to England and turned to veteran rock producer Glyn Johns for help. Since much of Lifehouse originally depended on live performance (the "Lifehouse" was a concert hall), it was thought that Johns, who recorded the Rolling Stones' Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out and the Beatles' Get Back (also unreleased), could lend his expertise in this area. Instead, Johns ended up co-producing all the studio material intended for Lifehouse. When it became apparent that the concept couldn't be finished as the Who intended it, Johns sequenced a single album of what he considered to be the best material from the sessions. The band consented to release a single LP, and it became Who's Next (their biggest selling and most critically successful album ever). While the outside world considered Who's Next a triumph, inside the Who camp, perceptions were quite different. Roger Daltrey said he felt the Who had "lost one bollock." Townshend claims to have had a nervous breakdown over Lifehouse's failure. Nevertheless, the band forged ahead, turning a few Who's Next tracks into stage favorites for years to come, notably "Behind Blue Eyes," "My Wife," and "Won't Get Fooled Again." A trio of the some of the best Lifehouse tracks were released as singles between Fall 1971 and Fall 1972. These were "Let's See Action," "Join Together," and "Relay." Parts of Lifehouse also saw the light of day as B-sides and tracks on the compilation album Odds And Sods. The entrancing synthesizer track to "Who Are You," released in 1978, is also supposedly a leftover from the Lifehouse days. Some of the Lifehouse concept was revived for Pete's 1993 album, Psychoderelict, which also utilized some of Pete's synthesizer demos from Lifehouse. Although a full track-listing for Lifehouse was never published, it seems clear that the following were part of the concept:
All of Pete's tracks on Who's Next: Baba O'Riley, Bargain, Love Ain't For Keeping, The Song Is Over, Getting In Tune, Going Mobile, Behind Blue Eyes, Won't Get Fooled Again.
These singles: Let's See Action, Join Together, Relay
These B-sides: When I Was A Boy, Baby Don't You Do It
These Odds And Sods tracks: Put The Money Down, Pure And Easy, Time Is Passing.
This unreleased Who track: Mary (Pete Townshend's demo for this track appears on his solo album, Scoop.
In addition, these 1970 tracks were considered for inclusion in Lifehouse: Water, Now I'm A Farmer, I Don't Even Know Myself
Would've been quite an album, eh?

UNRELEASED 1972 ALBUM Working closely with professional engineer/producer Glyn Johns on the Who's Next album had clearly been beneficial to the Who's studio sound. They re-teamed with Johns in May and June of 1972 to produce tracks for a follow-up LP to Who's Next which would have utilized several leftovers from the Lifehouse project, as well as a few new tracks. The sessions broke down and Townshend set aside his Lifehouse aspirations to work on his next concept "Rock Is Dead (Long Live Rock)" which became Quadrophenia in 1973. The tracks for the '72 albm would have included: Join Together, Too Much Of Anything, Relay, Long Live Rock, Put The Money Down, Love Reign O'er Me, Is It In My Head?, Can't You See I'm Easy, Ladies In The Female Jail, Time Is Passing, and Pure And Easy.
SIEGE Having (temporarily) forsaken the stage, Pete began work on demos for a new Who album during the first three months of 1983. At some point, Townshend came to the conclusion that his new musical ideas were unsuitable for the group, and began to feel that his days as writer for the Who were over. "Siege" (not necessarily an album or song title) was described as being based on the concept that "each of us is a soul in siege," as Pete wrote in his liner notes to Another Scoop. Having finally decided that the Who should permanently end their creative association, Pete approached Mo Ostin, chairman of Warner Bros., about terminating the Who's recording contract, and the group's manager Bill Curbishley went about dissolving or consolidating their mutual business interests. the only remnants of Pete's "Siege" plans are two demo tracks from Another Scoop, "Cat Snatch" and "Ask Yourself."

WHO'S LAST According to John Atkins' article, "The Who Live!" the 1984 double-LP was originally sequenced to include the following live tracks: I Can't Explain, Squeeze Box, Fiddle About (all live from Swansea Football Ground, 6/12/76), Barbara Ann (live rehearsal from Shepperton Studios, 5/78), Sister Disco, Music Must Change, Drowned, Who Are You, Long Live Rock, Dancing In The Street, The Real Me (all live from the Philadelphia Spectrum, 12/10/79) Athena, Cry If You Want, Dr. Jimmy, and Twist And Shout (all from various concerts of the 1982 "Farewell Tour"). This never came to pass, and the album instead relied on rather tame and predictable renditions of the standard Who repertoire. Of the above tracks, "Squeeze Box" from Swansea was released in 1996 on The Who By Numbers reissue, "Dancing In The Street," from Philly appeared in 1988 as the B-side to a four track EP entitled Won't Get Fooled Again, and live versions of "Dr. Jimmy" and "Twist And Shout" actually were released on Who's Last.

ATKINS LIST Disclaimer: Prior to the 1994 release of the retrospective box-set Thirty Years Of Maximum R&B, John Atkins, co-editor of the Who fanzine Generations published a "wishlist" of tracks he would like to see included on the set. Atkins later said his list was a "cruel joke" because along with legitimate unreleased tracks and alternate takes, he included several "made up" tracks. I added most of the tracks from Atkins' list alluded to my "unreleased" list, for the sake of completeness, but please note that I don't know which ones are "fakes"!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-17 03:44 by KevinM.

Re: OT: THE WHO - RAREST of the RARE & UNRELEASED
Date: September 17, 2020 03:37

(FOR EASY REFERENCE)...

THE WHO: RECORDINGS 1964-2000

INTRODUCTION

"We're not perfectionists. We're idealists. We think that rock & roll is more than just music for kids. Rock music is important to people because in this crazy world it allows you to face up to problems. But at the same time, to sort of dance all over 'em."

(Pete Townshend talking about The Who, 1978)

What follows is a list of all of the official recordings of the World's Greatest Rock And Roll Band, the Who. Notes on the nature and format of the information I'm presenting here, as well as the sources of that information, can be found here. The information can be viewed by individual song title (just click on one below), in chunks (A-B, C-D, and so on), or just jump in right here.

I would like for these pages to be as complete and inclusive as possible, but as you may imagine, it's a huge task that requires constant updating and revising. I appreciate any corrections, clarifications, and constructive criticism on both the style of the pages and the facts presented.

Recording Chronology (Watch your step---still under construction)

All Titles

1. Acid Queen
2. Amazing Journey
3. Another Tricky Day
4. Anytime You Want Me
5. Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere
6. Armenia, City In The Sky
7. Athena
8. Baba O'Riley
9. Baby Don't You Do It
10. Bald-Headed Woman
11. Barbara Ann
12. Bargain
13. Batman
14. Behind Blue Eyes
15. Bell Boy
16. Bernie's Holiday Camp
17. Blue Red And Grey
18. Bony Moronie
19. Boris The Spider
20. Bucket T
21. Cache, Cache
22. Call Me Lightning
23. Champagne
24. Christmas
25. Circles
26. Cobwebs And Strange
27. Cook's County
28. Cousin Kevin
29. Cousin Kevin, Model Child
30. Cry If You Want
31. Cut My Hair
32. Daddy Rolling Stone
33. Daily Records
34. Dancing In The Street/Dance It Away
35. Dangerous
36. Did You Steal My Money?
37. Dig
38. The Dirty Jobs
39. Disguises
40. Do You Think It's Alright?
41. Doctor, Doctor
42. Doctor Jekyll And Mister Hyde
43. Doctor Jimmy
44. Dogs
45. Dogs, Part Two
46. Don't Let Go The Coat
47. Don't Look Away
48. Dreaming From The Waist
49. Drowned
50. Early Morning, Cold Taxi
51. Eminence Front
52. Empty Glass
53. Extra, Extra, Extra
54. Eyesight To The Blind
55. Face The Face
56. Faith In Something Bigger
57. Fiddle About
58. Fire
59. 5.15
60. Fortune Teller
61. Four Faces
62. Get Out And Stay Out
63. Getting In Tune
64. Girl's Eyes
65. Glittering Girl
66. Glow Girl
67. Go To The Mirror!
68. Going Mobile
69. Going Down
70. The Good's Gone
71. Guitar And Pen
72. Had Enough
73. Hall Of The Mountain King
74. Happy Jack

75. Heatwave
76. Heaven And Hell
77. Heinz Baked Beans
78. Helpless Dancer
79. Here For More
80. Here 'Tis
81. How Can You Do It Alone?
82. How Many Friends?
83. However Much I Booze
84. I Am The Sea
85. I Believe My Own Eyes
86. I Can See For Miles
87. I Can't Explain
88. I Can't Reach You
89. I Don't Even Know Myself
90. I Don't Mind
91. I Like Nightmares
92. I Need You
93. I'm A Boy
94. I'm A Man
95. I'm Free
96. I'm One
97. I'm The Face
98. Imagine A Man
99. In A Hand Or A Face
100. In The City
101. Is It In My Head?
102. It's A Boy
103. It's Hard
104. It's In You
105. It's Not True
106. It's Your Turn
107. I've Been Away
108. I've Had Enough
109. I've Known No War
110. Jaguar
111. Join Together
112. Join Together/Roadrunner/My Generation Blues
113. Joker James
114. The Kids Are Alright
115. La La La Lies
116. (This Could Be) The Last Time
117. Leaving Here
118. A Legal Matter
119. Let's See Action
120. Little Billy
121. A Little Is Enough
122. Long Live Rock
123. Love Ain't For Keeping
124. Love Is Coming Down
125. Love Reign O'er Me
126. Lubie (Come Back Home)
127. Magic Bus
128. A Man Is A Man
129. Man With The Money
130. Mary Anne With The Shaky Hand
131. Medac
132. Melancholia
133. Miracle Cure
134. Mother And Son
135. Motoring
136. Much Too Much
137. Music Must Change
138. My Generation
139. My Generation/Land Of Hope And Glory
140. My Way
141. My Wife
142. Naked Eye
143. New Song
144. 905
145. 1921
146. 1951
147. No Road Romance
148. Now I'm A Farmer
149. Odorono
150. One At A Time
151. One Life's Enough
152. Our Love Was
153. Out In The Street
154. Overture
155. The Ox
156. Pictures Of Lily

157. Pinball Wizard
158. Please Please Please
159. Postcard
160. Prologue 1945
161. The Punk And The Godfather
162. Pure And Easy
163. Put The Money Down
164. Quadrophenia
165. A Quick One, While He's Away
166. The Quiet One
167. Rael 1
168. Rael 2
169. The Real Me
170. Relax
171. Relay
172. The Rock
173. Rough Boys
174. Run Run Run
175. Sally Simpson
176. Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting)
177. Sea And Sand
178. See Me, Feel Me
179. See My Way
180. The Seeker
181. Sensation
182. Shakin' All Over
183. Shakin' All Over/Spoonful/Twist And Shout
184. Shout And Shimmy
185. Silas Stingy
186. Sister Disco
187. Slip Kid
188. Smash The Mirror!
189. So Sad About Us
190. Somebody Saved Me
191. Someone's Coming
192. The Song Is Over
193. Sparks
194. Squeeze Box
195. Substitute
196. Success Story
197. Summertime Blues
198. Sunrise
199. Tattoo
200. There's A Doctor
201. They Are All In Love
202. Time Is Passing
203. Tommy Can You Hear Me?
204. Tommy's Holiday Camp
205. Too Much Of Anything
206. Trick Of The Light
207. TV Studio
208. Twist And Shout
209. Under My Thumb
210. Underture
211. Waspman
212. Water
213. We Close Tonight
214. Welcome
215. We're Not Gonna Take It!
216. When I Was A Boy
217. Whiskey Man
218. Who Are You
219. Why Did I Fall For That?
220. Won't Get Fooled Again
221. You
222. You Better, You Bet
223. Young Man Blues
224. Zoot Suit

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-17 03:39 by KevinM.

Date: September 17, 2020 03:47

Date: September 17, 2020 14:33

Don't be surprised if your thread will wind up here soon, Kevin.

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: September 17, 2020 18:16

When Face Dances came out I remember listening to a radio interview with Roger Daltrey, possibly on Capital Radio. I won't try to spell the name of the guy (Bill something) who produced the album but I believe he had produced the Eagles? Daltrey said the band had recorded a great rock song with a title (and I'm recalling this from one listen 39 years ago so i may have it slightly wrong) that was something like 'Jump Down'. He said the band loved the track but deferred to the producer who wanted it left off.

Someone please tell me I'm not making this up!!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 17, 2020 18:33

I’d love to hear the rest of The Who By Numbers sessions...what a great record

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 17, 2020 22:14

That's an impressive work of cataloguing, Kevin, but no songs from WHO 2019 on your list?

Date: September 17, 2020 23:19

peoplewitheyes
That's an impressive work of cataloguing, Kevin, but no songs from WHO 2019 on your list?

I wish it'd have been my work, but it's not, that's why I listed all the links etc. (didn't feel like inserting 1,000 quotation marks)

I've found a few songs on YT & other sources, but most were pretty average at best. Recently (last 1yr) a lot of demos are popping up on YT labeled as The Who, when in fact some/many are P.Townshend (during '65-early 80's). I recommend YT poster "The Who - Rarities", who posts some decent stuff.

Who's For Tennis ? album (the complete version) is probably the Gem of that LP group.

HM to: Lifehouse Sessions '71 etc.

lastly, check out Ooh-Poo Pa-Doo & Gotta Dance To Keep From Crying by The High Numbers (the Who before they were The Who July-Oct '64). Live at the Railway Hotel. on YT

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 17, 2020 23:24

Yeah, that colourized Railway Hotel stuff is great.

There's a cool version of the aborted 'Long Live Rock' album here.

Date: September 17, 2020 23:31

Munichhilton
I’d love to hear the rest of The Who By Numbers sessions...what a great record

A few years ago YT had:

A Quick One Sessions

Tommy Sessions

Lifehouse Sessions

Who Are You Sessions

BBC Sessions

if you haven't already heard them...however, they may not still be there.

Date: September 17, 2020 23:43

peoplewitheyes
Yeah, that colourized Railway Hotel stuff is great.

There's a cool version of the aborted 'Long Live Rock' album here.

thumbs up

Yeah, I found that last year, truly serendipitous.

'73 top of the pops old grey whistle test '73 Long Live Rock (Daltrey on most lead vocals), best version!

Date: September 17, 2020 23:50

DandelionPowderman
Don't be surprised if your thread will wind up here soon, Kevin.

That's fine, thanks for the heads up. I just wanna share the info in the hopes we can find more of this unreleased stuff together.

Date: September 18, 2020 00:27

KevinM
peoplewitheyes
but no songs from WHO 2019 on your list?

For me their last decent album was Who Are You, It's Hard & Face Dances were pretty blah. I haven't heard anything "new" after that, save for a few singles, ie, After The Fire etc. For me the Who, the Stones, Rush, Van Halen etc really dropped off after '83/'84 (same w/McCartney, save for Spies Like Us, My Carnival), though I'm finding (in recent years) there's some decent/salvageable Outtakes/Demos/Sessions from the Stones Dirty Work & Steel Wheels among a few later/90's & 00's obscurities.

The Stones must EMPTY the VAULTS for their 60th Anniversary, they're not getting any younger, this is the time. No more rehashing what's already out there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-18 00:59 by KevinM.

Date: September 18, 2020 09:10

peoplewitheyes
but no songs from WHO 2019 on your list?

For me their last decent album was Who Are You, It's Hard & Face Dances were pretty blah. I haven't heard anything "new" after that, save for a few singles, ie, After The Fire etc. For me the Who, the Stones, Rush, Van Halen etc really dropped off after '83/'84 (same w/McCartney, save for Spies Like Us, My Carnival), though I'm finding (in recent years) there's some decent/salvageable Outtakes/Demos/Sessions from the Stones Dirty Work & Steel Wheels among a few later/90's & 00's obscurities like Thief In The Night, You Don't Have To Mean It.

The Stones must EMPTY the VAULTS for their 60th Anniversary, they're not getting any younger, this is the time. No more rehashing what's already out there.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-18 09:12 by KevinM.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 19, 2020 05:48

RollingFreak

Anyone know if a professional poster exists of this image? I've looked for it a lot and not found one but it seems like its such an iconic image from them. I'd love to have this framed on my wall one day.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7778798081828384858687...LastNext
Current Page: 82 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2313
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home