Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
New Brian Jones Biography Coming In October
Posted by: originalstones ()
Date: April 15, 2014 01:24

There is a new bigoraphy about Brian Jones being released in October written by Paul Trynka who has written books on David Bowie and Iggy Pop. Has anyone read his work? I hope this will be a good book.

[www.amazon.com]

Re: New Brian Jones Biography Coming In October
Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: April 15, 2014 03:01

He used to be the editor for Mojo - that's pretty legit.

This looks like it could be a hell of a read - thanks for the heads up!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 15, 2014 07:43

Looks very promising - maybe at last we'll get a book that is interested in Brian's life as well as his death...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 15, 2014 07:51

Please don't be one of those boring speculations about what happened that last night. Actually MOJO did a good job about ten years back or so on Brian. But does he really still warrant another biography at this point? A good one would be nice, with real interviews from family members and such.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: April 18, 2014 04:59

If it would be an actual honest look back at his life I think that would be quite worthwhile. Another sensationilized doc style thing isn't really necassary at this time. We already know all we're ever going to know about how he died meaning we'll never know for sure and we already know all about his rise and fall as a Rolling Stone. What else is there to tell really? I doubt the truth ever did come out over how astated he must have been after Anita and loseing his place in the band but all one has to do is put yourself in his place. I think he died the second he realized Anita had left him for Keith and the rest of his life was merely putting in time.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 18, 2014 05:25

<<What else is there to tell really?>>

Nothing for you or I, who already know all we could ever know about the subject. But biographies go in and out of print faster than shoes and clothes change fashion, and for new fans just coming into awareness who don't know all the ins and outs of the story, they wouldn't be able to discern the good books from the bad or know where to look to find the out of print titles they weren't even aware of anyway.

So whenever a knew bio on a subject like Brian comes out, you have to hope that it will be good if only for the sake of the initiates.

Date: April 18, 2014 08:22

Well, it COULD be good, depending on who they interview. If it's people we haven't heard that much from who were close to Brian, it could be interesting. What was is 'Golden Stone' or some such book did sort of touch on his early life.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 18, 2014 11:17

Green Lady
Looks very promising - maybe at last we'll get a book that is interested in Brian's life as well as his death...

One concentrating on his musical contribution would be nice... That part looks promising - with MOJO background as well: "which for the first time details his pioneering achievements".

Our His Majesty should be consulted for a project like that - unless he would write a book of his own...

- Doxa

Date: April 18, 2014 12:03

He probably already is consulted.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 18, 2014 12:30

DandelionPowderman
He probably already is consulted.

thumbs up

- Doxa

Posted by: ChicagoCalling ()
Date: July 3, 2014 17:51

This morning Paul said, "Today's a good day to confirm the publication of my next book, Sympathy For The Devil, a biography of Brian Jones; published 28 August by Transworld in the UK, and 13 October in the US by Penguin Viking (titled as Brian Jones)...this is a completely different take on the life of this man"

Date: July 3, 2014 20:49

It seems rather strange to hear Brian referred to as a man. He never seemed to have crossed that line into adulthood yet. Being estranged from the Stones would have shook up his world and maybe forced him to look at reality for the first time. Overcoming a crisis in his life might have pushed him into maturity. That whole fame and drugs and alcohol cocoon probably delays growing up for quite some time. Brian hadn't yet experienced any deep tragedies, unless you consider losing a girl like Anita a life changing loss.

I am looking forward to this book, after what I consider Mojo's incredible Brian Issue back in the late 90s.

Date: July 3, 2014 23:07

Is that MOJO article posted on here somewhere? Who wrote it?

Date: July 4, 2014 08:59

I just found the 1999 MOJO article by Googling it.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: July 4, 2014 18:20

originalstones
There is a new bigoraphy about Brian Jones being released in October written by Paul Trynka who has written books on David Bowie and Iggy Pop. Has anyone read his work? I hope this will be a good book.

[www.amazon.com]

His Bowie book, Starman, was excellent IMO.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: July 4, 2014 23:58

rob51
...I doubt the truth ever did come out over how astated he must have been after Anita and loseing his place in the band but all one has to do is put yourself in his place. I think he died the second he realized Anita had left him for Keith and the rest of his life was merely putting in time.

I'm sorry but Brian's 'devastation' and that the 'rest of his life was merely putting in time' is speculative thinking at best. Nobody knows what Brian's mindset was during the time immediately before his death...and how do we know he wasn't slowly recovering from any emotional depression from the whole Anita-Keith thing? (I guess I'm saying you can speculate the opposite of what you're saying too)

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 5, 2014 09:06

ChicagoCalling
This morning Paul said, "Today's a good day to confirm the publication of my next book, Sympathy For The Devil, a biography of Brian Jones"

That title sounds real far from promising.

Posted by: Athena ()
Date: July 12, 2014 09:23

24FPS
It seems rather strange to hear Brian referred to as a man. He never seemed to have crossed that line into adulthood yet. Being estranged from the Stones would have shook up his world and maybe forced him to look at reality for the first time. Overcoming a crisis in his life might have pushed him into maturity. That whole fame and drugs and alcohol cocoon probably delays growing up for quite some time. Brian hadn't yet experienced any deep tragedies, unless you consider losing a girl like Anita a life changing loss.

I am looking forward to this book, after what I consider Mojo's incredible Brian Issue back in the late 90s.

Brian did experience deep childhood tragedy when his baby sister died. Have heard many others who endured the same as children say it scarred them for life and they all wound up screwed up on drugs & alcohol. sad smiley

Greek Goddess of Wisdom, Skill...& War

Posted by: Athena ()
Date: July 12, 2014 09:24

hope it's a good read, will look for it! smileys with beer

Greek Goddess of Wisdom, Skill...& War

Date: July 29, 2014 01:36

Update from the Trynka site here

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 29, 2014 01:45

Everybody who's following the Stones and Brian for 40th years or so knows who he is....a great artist and a strange dude.....he just got addicted and died to young...............

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 29, 2014 02:15

with sssoul
ChicagoCalling
This morning Paul said, "Today's a good day to confirm the publication of my next book, Sympathy For The Devil, a biography of Brian Jones"
That title sounds real far from promising.
i have to concur, it's like some editor thought it was very
creative and fitting. yet it's not even a play on words and it doesn't
really go together that well with the particular band member. and what
is left there to tell, really? the last book about the Stones that actually
got me excited was Bill German's. it deals with the only part of the
band history where there are blank pages and the people who could fill
them are still alive. can't say this about the unanswered Brian questions.

Date: August 6, 2014 00:50

More on Brian's Morocco here:

Brian Jones The Making of the Rolling Stones by Paul Trynka
Posted by: ovalvox ()
Date: October 11, 2014 00:32

Has anyone picked up a copy of this new release yet? I got mine from Amazon yesterday. Of course I got right into it. I will try not reveal any spoilers. I got as far as 1962. I must say there is far more information about Brian's early life than what I have previously read anywhere else. Paul did his research well. I do not want to reveal much as not to spoil anything. His early days is well balanced with his family life, social life, schoolastic life, rebellious life and what I wanted most, his pre stones musical life. I was quite pleased what I read about his musical life before the Rolling Stones. I won't say anymore but would like to know what others think. Looking forward to reading the rest of it. Very promising so far.

Re: Brian Jones The Making of the Rolling Stones by Paul Trynka
Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: October 11, 2014 01:51

as far as his early musical life goes...how does this book compare to "Foundation Stone " ???

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 11, 2014 02:00

Date: October 11, 2014 04:17

Paul documents more information so far on Brian's early days than Graham IMO. Through his research he had a pretty good idea how much experience musically Brian had and he focuses on that. Again I don't want to say much. I thought Graham's book was good because he lived and jammed with Brian. But I am impressed so far with Paul's account. So far! Still a lot of book to go. I don't want to list any of his sources. I haven't read much but so far it is good and appears as accurate as anyone can get anymore from what sources are left. I get the impression that Paul spent a lot of time focusing on Brian in the 50's and early 60's before he met up with Mick and Keith. I will say this much. I was expecting just another book on Brian that has already been wriiten with nothing knew. So far I have read things I never read in any other book and I've read them all. Again still early in the book. The rest may be just rehashed stuff already written. After I completely read it I'll have a better opinion. I'm not ready to say this is the best book written on Brian but so far it is looking mighty promising.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-11 04:18 by ovalvox.

Date: October 11, 2014 04:21

Koen
[www.iorr.org]
I looked for a thread on this and couldn't find it. 7 or 8 pages deep. Just assumed one was never started.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 11, 2014 05:15

That's why there is a search function smiling smiley

Posted by: HearTheWindHowl ()
Date: October 11, 2014 11:35

Of course, I agree, there are things I knew before, but I'm sure most everyone will find things that have not been touched so far. Paul Trynka wrote a really good book. I can highly recommend it. Have a go ....

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2003
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home