Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7677787980818283848586...LastNext
Current Page: 81 of 117
Re: OT: AC/DC latest news and more - now with Axl Rose
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 15, 2018 15:13

dcba
keefriff99
I can't believe how these guys smoke.

A few smokes a day are less harmful than a steady diet of soda and junk food.
I'm sure their waist size is ok and that's a major factor to assess one's health.
Malcolm was diagnosed with lung cancer after leaving the band, and Brian had to cancel a few Black Ice dates due to Barrett's Syndrome, a precursor to esophageal cancer.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 15, 2018 16:56

And Charlie had a cancerous lump in his throat though he never smoked in his entire life...
Bob Dylan lives on a steady diet of black coffee and cigs and at 77 he still kicks @ss.
So you never can tell...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-15 16:57 by dcba.

Date: August 15, 2018 17:09

dcba
And Charlie had a cancerous lump in his throat though he never smoked in his entire life...
Bob Dylan lives on a steady diet of black coffee and cigs and at 77 he still kicks @ss.
So you never can tell...
Charlie absolutely used to smoke.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: August 15, 2018 21:54

dcba
So you never can tell...

"You never can tell?"

Huh?

Please don't defend smoking or minimize its well-documented effects if that's what you are doing.

1) Charlie certainly smoked, for one....google images...click.

2) Secondly, for every Bob Dylan and Keith Richards, there are 10s of 1000s (millions?) of people who die slow, torturous deaths prematurely from smoking related illness

Using Bob, Keith or Angus as "evidence" of "you never can tell [with smoking]" is a textbook example of the "Availability Heuristic" - a very dangerous cognitive bias.

Smoking is by far one of the worst things you can choose to do...followed closely by a poor diet of fatty-processed food & sugary drinks. I don't recommend either.

(sorry...this post isn't really about the topic at hand)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-15 21:55 by stickyfingers101.

Date: August 16, 2018 06:08

Brian and Phil photographed with legendary producer and sound engineer Mike Fraser...

[www.blabbermouth.net]

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: August 16, 2018 15:35

Can we by any chance get rid of the Axl bit in the thread title now it's done ?

It brings back too many bad memories

Date: August 16, 2018 15:50

andy js
Can we by any chance get rid of the Axl bit in the thread title now it's done ?

It brings back too many bad memories

Remember that Axl also was observed outside the Warehouse in the first news report smiling smiley

Date: August 16, 2018 21:17

DandelionPowderman
Remember that Axl also was observed outside the Warehouse in the first news report smiling smiley

I don't want to be picky but NO. That was never said at all. This is the direct quote

"I'd like to announce that the other rocker my source chatted with briefly today was Axl Rose, the Guns N' Roses frontman who took over the lead-vocals position from Brian Johnson on AC/DC's last tour when Johnson started suffering hearing problems. I can't announce that, though, because the other rocker my source talked to was none other than, get this: Phil Rudd! Yes, Phil Rudd!"

[www.straight.com]

Axl's been @#$%& off after doing his 'job' and we're now back to normal.

Rejoice!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 16, 2018 21:23

No, I actually thought a report either from a few weeks ago or something mentioned Axl being there or something. Maybe I'm wrong.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 16, 2018 23:14

RollingFreak
No, I actually thought a report either from a few weeks ago or something mentioned Axl being there or something. Maybe I'm wrong.

There have always been rumours about Axl recording with AC/DC but the first verified sightings in Vancouver as reported by Steve Newton didn't mention anything about Axl, but showed Brian and Phil. I'm still wondering who is playing bass!

Date: August 17, 2018 13:24

RollingFreak

No mate. The link i just posted was the original post that broke the news that the band were in Vancouver. At no point whatsoever did he mention Axl being there ...

thank @#$%&!

Date: August 19, 2018 07:43

[www.blabbermouth.net]

Well this is disheartening. I can't believe Chris Slade wasn't even invited to Malcolm's funeral. I know even Brian and Phil were there.

Chris has stepped in twice on short notice and performed admirably, and hasn't been given enough credit for it.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: August 19, 2018 14:38

I don’t think you have to be invited to go to a funeral.
He probably knew who to get in touch with to attend.
Maybe he was on tour with his solo project...

Date: August 19, 2018 17:08

keefriff99
[www.blabbermouth.net]

Well this is disheartening. I can't believe Chris Slade wasn't even invited to Malcolm's funeral. I know even Brian and Phil were there.

Chris has stepped in twice on short notice and performed admirably, and hasn't been given enough credit for it.

As mentioned above, you don't really need to be invited to a funeral. Brian, Cliff, Phil, Stevie are all long term friends of Mal, of course they were all there

For all we know Chris might resent the boss (Mal) for giving him the boot the first time around and may not have even wanted to travel halfway across the world to be there

PS: He didn't perform anywhere near admirably on the last tour, he was absolutely awful.

Date: August 19, 2018 17:31

andy js
keefriff99
[www.blabbermouth.net]

As mentioned above, you don't really need to be invited to a funeral. Brian, Cliff, Phil, Stevie are all long term friends of Mal, of course they were all there

For all we know Chris might resent the boss (Mal) for giving him the boot the first time around and may not have even wanted to travel halfway across the world to be there

PS: He didn't perform anywhere near admirably on the last tour, he was absolutely awful.
No, his playing wasn't great but he stepped in on short notice and did the job. That's what I mean by "admirable".

Date: August 19, 2018 20:58

He got paid a fortune let's not forget winking smiley

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: August 19, 2018 21:13

Chris was on tour at this time.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: August 20, 2018 04:17

I'm sure there's a good reason...just seemed to odd to me.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: August 20, 2018 16:42

RollingFreak
The Axl thing for the last tour was exactly what they needed. Whatever happened with Brian, they had to finish the tour, or I understood why they felt compelled to. Axl was a big name, which is what you need to replace Brian, and like him or not, he did an excellent job. It made for a unique show just to finish a tour that had already started. As a longtime fan, it was mind blowing to be seeing Angus playing stuff like Rock N Roll Damnation and If You Want Blood. I never thought I'd see that, and Axl killed it and Angus seemed totally reinvigorated. Kinda makes you wonder why they never really did that normally. The change was exactly what they needed.

Having said that, going longer than one tour, the luster wears off and I just plain don't think its right. Get back to being AC/DC with the people we know.

I saw this temporary version of AC/DC in Lisbon, when they did the first show with Axl Rose.

It was exceptional.

They played, and sang, with soul, better than I have ever seen them before, (they had something to prove), with many songs, rarely played, from the Bonn Scott era.

Exceptional.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 20, 2018 17:03

marquess

I saw this temporary version of AC/DC in Lisbon, when they did the first show with Axl Rose.

It was exceptional.

They played, and sang, with soul, better than I have ever seen them before, (they had something to prove), with many songs, rarely played, from the Bonn Scott era.

Exceptional.

And people rejoice that Brian is back in the band... which means stiff setlists, poor vocal perfs by Brian, and detuned guitars by one semitone to accomodate Brian's limited vocal range.
AC/DC fans are even more conservative than the Stones' or what?

Date: August 20, 2018 17:15

dcba
marquess

It was exceptional.

Exceptional.

And people rejoice that Brian is back in the band... which means stiff setlists, poor vocal perfs by Brian, and detuned guitars by one semitone to accomodate Brian's limited vocal range.
AC/DC fans are even more conservative than the Stones' or what?

The only thing I disagree with is it being called AC/DC with Axl Rose and literally no one else from the Back In Black lineup. Call me a purist but I just think thats wrong and I think its a crutch. That he knows he has to call it AC/DC to sell tickets when without all 4 of the other guys it is not. Unless its just been Angus and friends for the last 40 years. If you always thought the band was only Angus, I can see how you accepted this. If you like "bands", which on a Stones forum I think we all know what a "band" is and what a "member" is, I'm surprised you'd so easily accept this.

I have zero problem with Angus continuing to tour with Axl, or on his own, and calling it Angus and friends. I would 100% like to see that more than a tour with stiff setlists of warhorses as you say. But I don't want to see Brian replaced and it being called AC/DC. I just personally think thats wrong. I understood it to finish one tour that was already started.

Posted by: kevos ()
Date: August 20, 2018 22:53

Brian had wanted to do various different songs over the last several tours and he has stated songs he has wanted to preform. I remember on the Black Ice promo tour in interviews he said he wanted Money Made put in the set as well as a few 80s ones. The reason why it stayed the same for SOOO LONG was down to Mal.

He was the leader of the band and he called the shots He wasn't prepared to change stuff up. I think on the last tour Brian was struggling and he said he was going off memory for the songs as he couldn't hear anything. So thats why the setlist was the same for his shows. Now his hearing is better he will sound a bit better and I wouldn't be surprised if they throw in some deeper cuts but as we know it will be made up of around 10 war horse tracks cos thats what the masses wanna hear.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 20, 2018 23:01

Brian said in an interview a few years back that Powerage was his favorite Bon Scott era album.....I's love to see some of those songs brought back if Brian goes on tour with AC/DC.

Date: August 21, 2018 00:14

Excellent set with Brian:

[www.setlist.fm]

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 21, 2018 00:18

BluzDude
Brian said in an interview a few years back that Powerage was his favorite Bon Scott era album.....I's love to see some of those songs brought back if Brian goes on tour with AC/DC.

I would love to hear some deep cuts from Powerage but really, how many of these did they play when Bon was alive? Sin City, Riff Raff and R'n'r Damnation. On the MTV special from London they did play Gone Shootin. Down Payment Blues would be awesome to hear. One song of LTBR that they've played on and off throughout the years is Dog Eat Dog, probably my least favourite on that album!

Date: August 21, 2018 13:39

marquess

It was exceptional.

Exceptional.

Now, if this doesn't show you how differently people see/hear things nothing will

I was at same gig myself, with 3 other fellow Brits who'd all booked their tickets, flights and hotels before the whole Brian out Axl in announcement

As an AC/DC diehard, and a veteran of say 45 gigs since '84 it was easily the worst i've ever seen put on under the name AC/DC

Even taking into account it wasn't AC/DC i was watching it was pure dog shit.

I was almost crying after about 20 minutes but stuck it out as the other three are 100% casual AC/DC fans but even they'd had enough by the time we got to the end of the normal set (Let There Be Rock)

I don't know how big a fan or how many times you've seen them before Marquess (?) but if that was the best you've picked some right clunkers to attend previously smiling smiley

It's no condolence to me that they pulled out Riff Raff.

I've wanted to see AC/DC play that since the day i fell in love with them in '78. No good doing it when the band no longer exists and is nothing more than a tribute band with some ginger scab and a grooveless chrome dome on the drums

Hopefully this will get rectified soon with the proper boys on board

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: August 21, 2018 15:47

BluzDude

Absolutely. Keith mentioned that this one was his favorite too.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 21, 2018 16:15

RollingFreak

[www.setlist.fm]
Great setlist, although I think this was a special gig at Roseland.

The rest of the Stiff Upper Lip shows weren't that adventurous, although I know they played Problem Child and Up To My Neck In You on the Live at Munich DVD, which were nice treats.

Date: August 21, 2018 16:31

keefriff99
RollingFreak

[www.setlist.fm]

The rest of the Stiff Upper Lip shows weren't that adventurous, although I know they played Problem Child and Up To My Neck In You on the Live at Munich DVD, which were nice treats.

This wasn't the Stiff Upper Lip tour, it was the one after. It wasn't necessarily a special show but it was a special tour that they did as the lead up to the Toronto Rocks show the Stones also played. I think they played like 5 shows, all of which were a set like this. So it was rare, but at least shows they are capable of doing it. Brian's also sung Go Down and a few others on rare occasions. Not sure why they wouldn't bust more out. I guess cause they don't have to.

Date: August 21, 2018 16:42

RollingFreak
keefriff99
RollingFreak

[www.setlist.fm]

This wasn't the Stiff Upper Lip tour, it was the one after. It wasn't necessarily a special show but it was a special tour that they did as the lead up to the Toronto Rocks show the Stones also played. I think they played like 5 shows, all of which were a set like this. So it was rare, but at least shows they are capable of doing it. Brian's also sung Go Down and a few others on rare occasions. Not sure why they wouldn't bust more out. I guess cause they don't have to.
That's right. I think they also opened for the Stones on a few shows in 2003...this was a rare instance of them playing shows outside of their normal album/tour touring cycle, although they were still pretty geared up from the Stiff Upper Lip tour so it wasn't a long layoff.

10 shows in 2003...I think they also got inducted into the HoF in 2003, so it all came together that year.

This is a great video from 1996...Ballbreaker rehearsals in London for VH-1...they played Down Payment Blues and Go Down among others:

[www.youtube.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7677787980818283848586...LastNext
Current Page: 81 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2055
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home