Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7778798081828384858687...LastNext
Current Page: 82 of 117
Re: OT: AC/DC latest news and more - now with Axl Rose
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 21, 2018 16:52

Yup, thats the one I mean. Maybe it was Mal as was said but I have no idea why they never threw a bone every once in awhile. Its always Shot Down In Flames, Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be. Everyone one of their 70s albums is great with songs they never play and I never understood why they didn't throw 2 or 3 deep cuts a tour for fans, yet they'll play stuff like Go Down or If You Want Blood once.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 21, 2018 18:08

RollingFreak
Yup, thats the one I mean. Maybe it was Mal as was said but I have no idea why they never threw a bone every once in awhile. Its always Shot Down In Flames, Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be. Everyone one of their 70s albums is great with songs they never play and I never understood why they didn't throw 2 or 3 deep cuts a tour for fans, yet they'll play stuff like Go Down or If You Want Blood once.
Hell, I think Flick of the Switch, Fly on the Wall and Blow Up Your Video all have a few great Brian-era songs that deserve to be played live occasionally, and they haven't touched anything on those albums since 1992.

Date: August 21, 2018 18:13

keefriff99
RollingFreak
Hell, I think Flick of the Switch, Fly on the Wall and Blow Up Your Video all have a few great Brian-era songs that deserve to be played live occasionally, and they haven't touched anything on those albums since 1992.

moneytalks was a huge hot and they stopped playing it after the tour to support razorsedge

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 21, 2018 18:20

Fly On The Wall has some GREAT tracks. Would love to hear Sink The Pink or Shake Your Foundations. Or the title track. Heatseeker also hasn't been played in awhile. I get that they have the 10 songs they have to play, plus 5-6 from the new album they tour behind, but those 5 remaining slots could be so interesting each tour since there are deep cuts and hits they rarely play anymore. Has always seemed like a missed opportunity. It would really make each tour feel unique IMO.

Date: August 21, 2018 18:25

keefriffhard4life
keefriff99
RollingFreak

moneytalks was a huge hot and they stopped playing it after the tour to support razorsedge
Yeah, I dunno why they stopped playing that song either. Not a favorite of mine by any stretch, but it was a big crowd favorite.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: August 21, 2018 19:19

RollingFreak
keefriff99
RollingFreak
Excellent set with Brian:

[www.setlist.fm]
Great setlist, although I think this was a special gig at Roseland.

The rest of the Stiff Upper Lip shows weren't that adventurous, although I know they played Problem Child and Up To My Neck In You on the Live at Munich DVD, which were nice treats.

This wasn't the Stiff Upper Lip tour, it was the one after. It wasn't necessarily a special show but it was a special tour that they did as the lead up to the Toronto Rocks show the Stones also played. I think they played like 5 shows, all of which were a set like this. So it was rare, but at least shows they are capable of doing it. Brian's also sung Go Down and a few others on rare occasions. Not sure why they wouldn't bust more out. I guess cause they don't have to.

The Munich DVD was very much the Stiff Upper Lip tour. It was the stadium leg they added on after the arena tour had finished.

Swapped opening number and added Problem Child, Up To My Neck In You and What Do You Do for Money Honey? to the setlist which was nice of course.

The sole UK show on this second leg was a half full Milton Keynes Bowl, which was for some reason on a Friday afternoon which probably explained the half arsed attendance

Killer gig though

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 21, 2018 20:48

RollingFreak
Fly On The Wall has some GREAT tracks. Would love to hear Sink The Pink or Shake Your Foundations. Or the title track. Heatseeker also hasn't been played in awhile. I get that they have the 10 songs they have to play, plus 5-6 from the new album they tour behind, but those 5 remaining slots could be so interesting each tour since there are deep cuts and hits they rarely play anymore. Has always seemed like a missed opportunity. It would really make each tour feel unique IMO.

I like those 2 songs, the problem is Brian sounded horrible on the Fly On the
Wall album....not Brian's fault, it was the recording technique that was used. IMHO it was their worst produced album.....that being said, playing them live would have nothing to do with how they sounded on record.

Date: August 21, 2018 21:08

BluzDude
RollingFreak

Wall album....not Brian's fault, it was the recording technique that was used. IMHO it was their worst produced album.....that being said, playing them live would have nothing to do with how they sounded on record.
I think the Young brothers tried to self-produce Fly on the Wall, with some minor informal assistance from their older brother, George. It sounds like they recorded in a cave with a sock wrapped around the microphone.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 21, 2018 21:16

keefriff99
BluzDude
RollingFreak

I think the Young brothers tried to self-produce Fly on the Wall, with some minor informal assistance from their older brother, George. It sounds like they recorded in a cave with a sock wrapped around the microphone.

thumbs up >grinning smiley< ...so true!

Date: August 21, 2018 22:57

keefriff99

Can't argue with that.

Date: August 21, 2018 22:58

andy js
keefriff99

Can't argue with that.
Having said that, there's a really fun energy to the album. It's a shame it sounds so poor.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 21, 2018 23:15

keefriff99
andy js
keefriff99

Can't argue with that.
Having said that, there's a really fun energy to the album. It's a shame it sounds so poor.

That might be the worst sounding album I own! You could barely make out what Brian is singing. When I got the CD it wasn't much different and then when they released remasters I bought that hoping it might sound better but no. I remember when it was released it debuted at #10 on the US charts so I thought that's pretty good but then it dropped fairly quickly.
I haven't listened to the album/CD in years but one thing I remember is that in a lot of the songs, they repeat the chorus a lot.

Steve Newton has a new article on the Georgia Straight website about the band supposedly being pissed off that he blew their cover by announcing that they're in Vancouver!

Date: August 22, 2018 02:41

DGA35
keefriff99
andy js
keefriff99

Can't argue with that.

That might be the worst sounding album I own! You could barely make out what Brian is singing. When I got the CD it wasn't much different and then when they released remasters I bought that hoping it might sound better but no. I remember when it was released it debuted at #10 on the US charts so I thought that's pretty good but then it dropped fairly quickly.
I haven't listened to the album/CD in years but one thing I remember is that in a lot of the songs, they repeat the chorus a lot.

Steve Newton has a new article on the Georgia Straight website about the band supposedly being pissed off that he blew their cover by announcing that they're in Vancouver!
I was just listening to the title track...great energy and riffing, but the lyrics are completely unintelligible. It's shocking how badly recorded it is.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: August 22, 2018 14:29

Phil Rudd is a rock'n roll machine.
Malcolm had a huge respect for him as a musician. As Angus.
He knew and loved the man with all his complexity and fragility. Angus too.
Phil is part of AC/DC clan.
He is the man.

Nashville 1978
[youtu.be]

Largo 1981
[youtu.be]

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-22 14:42 by powerage78.

Date: August 22, 2018 16:06

Phil is a goddamn machine. I've never heard a drummer pound out a no-frills 4/4 back beat with precision and groove without hardly a fill or even a cymbal crash for 5-10 minutes at a clip.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: August 22, 2018 19:56

keefriff99
Phil is a goddamn machine. I've never heard a drummer pound out a no-frills 4/4 back beat with precision and groove without hardly a fill or even a cymbal crash for 5-10 minutes at a clip.

I think it was the Munich 2001 where he plays while smoking a cigarette! I wish the best for these guys. Can't wait for the tour. It's gonna get loud.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 23, 2018 05:25

shattered
keefriff99

I think it was the Munich 2001 where he plays while smoking a cigarette! I wish the best for these guys. Can't wait for the tour. It's gonna get loud.

[www.youtube.com]
He used to only smoke on the slower blues numbers, and then I saw videos of him smoking his way through Whole Lotta Rosie! The guy is a @#$%& legend.

Date: August 23, 2018 13:19

Shake your foundations on Who Made Who album, remixed and produced by George Young and Harry Vanda is far better. Basic intro, mix, Brian voice.

[youtu.be]

Fantastic live (Brussels 1986)
[youtu.be]

Date: August 23, 2018 16:47

powerage78
Shake your foundations on Who Made Who album, remixed and produced by George Young and Harry Vanda is far better. Basic intro, mix, Brian voice.

[youtu.be]

Fantastic live (Brussels 1986)
[youtu.be]
Listened back to back...you can definitely hear the difference in mix. The reverb is minimized and Brian's voice is cleaner.

Date: August 23, 2018 17:00

I think a lot of people have overlooked how important the Rudd is to the classic AC/DC sound over the years. He's as important to it as Malcolm and Angus

Glad others agree.

Date: August 23, 2018 17:05

andy js
I think a lot of people have overlooked how important the Rudd is to the classic AC/DC sound over the years. He's as important to it as Malcolm and Angus

Glad others agree.
Here's a cool recording of Phil playing Who Made Who on the opening night of the Ballbreaker tour in 1996:

[www.youtube.com]

I didn't know Phil had played any songs from the Wright/Slade era live aside from Thunderstruck.

You can hear that perfect 4/4 groove here.

Date: August 23, 2018 19:09

Yes, Thunderstruck and Who Made Who (maybye only one time).

Date: August 23, 2018 19:26

powerage78
Yes, Thunderstruck and Who Made Who (maybye only one time).
Yeah, that's what I read...they played it opening night in Greensboro, NC, and then never again since. Shame...it really is a cool song.

Date: September 1, 2018 21:38

Just a rumor, but would be awesome if true:

Texas-based publication JAM Magazine has cited a "reliable source inside the AC/DC camp" as letting them know that Angus Young is working on a new AC/DC album that will be dedicated to his brother, the late Malcolm Young.

According to the site, the new recordings will include "Malcolm playing rhythm guitar on all tracks!"

A posting on the JAM Magazine Facebook page reads: "Turns out, five years prior to the 'Black Ice' LP, AC/DC's 15th studio release, Angus and Malcolm Young lived to together where they literally wrote hundreds of songs, many were recorded and have been stashed away until now. Angus has decided to selected the best tracks from those recordings that Malcolm played on and is now back in the studio recording and mixing them with fellow bandmates Phil Rudd, Cliff Williams and, yes, Brian Johnson on vocals."

Malcolm, who co-founded AC/DC with Angus in 1973, died in November 2017 at the age of 64 after suffering from dementia and failing health for several years.

Two weeks ago, a new photo of Johnson and Rudd sitting on the deck of Vancouver's Warehouse Studio with AC/DC's longtime mixer, engineer, and producer Mike Fraser was posted online.

The picture was once again snapped by Vancouver residents Crystal Lambert and Glenn Slavens from Lambert's apartment, which overlooks the studio's outside deck.

In recent weeks, Lambert and Slavens have taken other pictures of Johnson and Rudd, as well as guitarists Angus and Stevie Young. The assumption is that AC/DC is making a new studio album, with Rudd and Johnson both back in the lineup after both departing at different points during the tour cycle for 2014's "Rock Or Bust".

[www.blabbermouth.net]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 2, 2018 00:05

andy js

Glad others agree.

I agree! I'm listening to the 1977 Ft. Lauderdale radio show and Rudd is amazing on this one.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 3, 2018 07:18

keefriff99

Texas-based publication JAM Magazine has cited a "reliable source inside the AC/DC camp" as letting them know that Angus Young is working on a new AC/DC album that will be dedicated to his brother, the late Malcolm Young.

According to the site, the new recordings will include "Malcolm playing rhythm guitar on all tracks!"

A posting on the JAM Magazine Facebook page reads: "Turns out, five years prior to the 'Black Ice' LP, AC/DC's 15th studio release, Angus and Malcolm Young lived to together where they literally wrote hundreds of songs, many were recorded and have been stashed away until now. Angus has decided to selected the best tracks from those recordings that Malcolm played on and is now back in the studio recording and mixing them with fellow bandmates Phil Rudd, Cliff Williams and, yes, Brian Johnson on vocals."

Malcolm, who co-founded AC/DC with Angus in 1973, died in November 2017 at the age of 64 after suffering from dementia and failing health for several years.

Two weeks ago, a new photo of Johnson and Rudd sitting on the deck of Vancouver's Warehouse Studio with AC/DC's longtime mixer, engineer, and producer Mike Fraser was posted online.

The picture was once again snapped by Vancouver residents Crystal Lambert and Glenn Slavens from Lambert's apartment, which overlooks the studio's outside deck.

In recent weeks, Lambert and Slavens have taken other pictures of Johnson and Rudd, as well as guitarists Angus and Stevie Young. The assumption is that AC/DC is making a new studio album, with Rudd and Johnson both back in the lineup after both departing at different points during the tour cycle for 2014's "Rock Or Bust".

[www.blabbermouth.net]

I hope it's true!

Date: September 3, 2018 11:23

keefriff99

[www.blabbermouth.net]

Cool, if true.

BTW, this is the first mention of Cliff...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 3, 2018 21:43

"Next AC/DC Album Will Feature Malcolm Young’s Guitar Parts and Cliff Williams on Bass"

[www.metalsucks.net]

So they'll sample Mal's guitar off the demos he made before his death and plug into the rythmn tracks recorded now by Phil and Cliff.

Protools galore to be expected... I wonder how Angus and Fraser will manage to make it sound not robotic and artificial.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-03 21:45 by dcba.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 3, 2018 23:36

There hasn't been any Cliff sightings in Vancouver yet. There is a new interview with Steve Newton on the Georgia Straight website though about his reporting of the band in Vancouver.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: September 6, 2018 12:21

Weird to have ZERO info about Cliff after so many weeks in Vancouver.
Stevie Young is there, so I guess he will record some parts.
Maybe the songs are from Malcolm, but some recorded from scratch, and some featuring Mal's playing but not all of them

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7778798081828384858687...LastNext
Current Page: 82 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1632
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home