Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: TOP 3 Greatest Taylor Solos - Stones related
Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 10, 2014 17:16

DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
DoomandGloom
Mathijs you are one consistent anti-Taylorite....

Er, he? Wot? I name three tracks that really blow my socks off, and than I am a anti-Taylorite?

He's done a ton of fantastic things (TD and Angie solo from Brussels, Heartbreaker from London, Sympathy from Ya Ya's, Love in Vain and YCAGWYW in 1972), but these three really spring in mind first of mind-boggling solo's he's done. These are carreer defining in my opinion.

And no, I don't think he made Keith a better player (Ronnie did that, from 1975 to 1982 on), and no I don't think Taylor was a good rhythm guitar player, and yes I do think his role in the Stones is very much overrated. But that all doesn't take anything away from these three stand-out moments.

Mathijs

"Anti-Taylorite" or "Anti-Taylor"? smiling smiley

DoomAndGloom probably hasn't been around here long enough to catch the hundreds of positive posts about Taylor you've shared with us...
Anti-Taylorite was a slip but it's fitting. Mathijs clearly is not anti Taylor just the fuss made over him. There is no doubt Taylor upped the guitar game and made Keith a better blues player. WH is just one example of Taylor's great rhythm skills. I am surprised there is any question regarding Mick's right hand and skills as an all around player but we are comparing the world's elite and should not forget the league these guys are in.

Date: April 10, 2014 17:29

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
DoomandGloom

Er, he? Wot? I name three tracks that really blow my socks off, and than I am a anti-Taylorite?

He's done a ton of fantastic things (TD and Angie solo from Brussels, Heartbreaker from London, Sympathy from Ya Ya's, Love in Vain and YCAGWYW in 1972), but these three really spring in mind first of mind-boggling solo's he's done. These are carreer defining in my opinion.

And no, I don't think he made Keith a better player (Ronnie did that, from 1975 to 1982 on), and no I don't think Taylor was a good rhythm guitar player, and yes I do think his role in the Stones is very much overrated. But that all doesn't take anything away from these three stand-out moments.

Mathijs

DoomAndGloom probably hasn't been around here long enough to catch the hundreds of positive posts about Taylor you've shared with us...

Come on Dandie, don't try to seem ignorant. Our dear friend Matthijs is the contrary of a Taylorite, in fact he's the informal leader of the anti-Taylor lobby here. grinning smiley
As for you yourself, I think you're at least ambiguous on this matter.

Like I said, kleerie, we've been discussing the Stones here since 1996/97. Since then, very few have posted more praisal for Taylor here than Mathijs.

But we all grow up (at least some of us), and there comes a time when guitar solos or lead playing isn't necessarily the barometer for how great a song is - even for guitar players smiling smiley

Despite our age difference, I'm pretty certain I've heard tons more Taylor than you have. That comes with my part-time profession, and inspiration for what I do. People think I'm nuts, listening to this "mediocre" band, but that's what I love - and have learned so much from.

If IORR hadn't crashed in 2005, I'm pretty sure many would have had a different view of both myself and Mathijs when it comes to Taylor.

We all love Mick Taylor on this board, there simply isn't a "Anti-Taylor-movement" around.

But when people whine about a release, because a lead guitar isn't loud enough in a few places, important differences in the concept of music and perception arise. That should be debatable.

And we are allowed sometimes, to take a moment and ask ourselves if we're on thin ice on certain subjects - I know I certainly should - how about you? smiling smiley

Date: April 10, 2014 17:35

DoomandGloom
DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
DoomandGloom

Mathijs

Anti-Taylorite was a slip but it's fitting. Mathijs clearly is not anti Taylor just the fuss made over him. There is no doubt Taylor upped the guitar game and made Keith a better blues player. WH is just one example of Taylor's great rhythm skills. I am surprised there is any question regarding Mick's right hand and skills as an all around player but we are comparing the world's elite and should not forget the league these guys are in.

Which rhythm guitar on WH are you referring to, the 12-string or the Nashville-tuned one?

The only Taylor inspiration I've ever heard in Keith's soloing is the ending of Star Star on GHS. He might of course have picked up something, but it's hard to tell what that could be, really.

Taylor plays a decent rhythm guitar, but he is impatient and rarely sticks to a basic or locking rhythmic groove, imo. Bitch might be the best he ever did with the Stones rhythm-wise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-10 17:35 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 10, 2014 17:44

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
DoomandGloom

Mathijs

Come on Dandie, don't try to seem ignorant. Our dear friend Matthijs is the contrary of a Taylorite, in fact he's the informal leader of the anti-Taylor lobby here. grinning smiley

Like I said, kleerie, we've been discussing the Stones here since 1996/97. Since then, very few have posted more praisal for Taylor here than Mathijs.

But we all grow up (at least some of us), and there comes a time when guitar solos or lead playing isn't necessarily the barometer for how great a song is - even for guitar players smiling smiley

Despite our age difference, I'm pretty certain I've heard tons more Taylor than you have. That comes with my part-time profession, and inspiration for what I do. People think I'm nuts, listening to this "mediocre" band, but that's what I love - and have learned so much from.

If IORR hadn't crashed in 2005, I'm pretty sure many would have had a different view of both myself and Mathijs when it comes to Taylor.

We all love Mick Taylor on this board, there simply isn't a "Anti-Taylor-movement" around.

But when people whine about a release, because a lead guitar isn't loud enough in a few places, important differences in the concept of music and perception arise. That should be debatable.

And we are allowed sometimes, to take a moment and ask ourselves if we're on thin ice on certain subjects - I know I certainly should - how about you? smiling smiley

First of all we should avoid the qualification 'whiner', because that kills any discussion. For the rest anything is debatable. But regardless of quantity (of having listened certain music), it's obvious that personal preferences and taste are of great importance. But they shouldn't be mixed up with facts.
As for being on thin ice, that's a rather obscure expression - what do you mean by it?

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: April 10, 2014 18:16

LieB
Mick T was never a big rhythm guitar player, but he sure did have his moments, especially early in his Stones time.

Does that imply he more or less forgot how to play rhythm after his early Stones time ? smiling smiley
There are enough recordings were he proves quite the opposite: '72 things he did with the Stones, Bruce, Dylan, and his own records.Taylor always was a very competent/ effective rhythm player... he's just not that cranked up Keith Open G player, or Pete Townsed, the archetypes of R&R rhythm guitar. One windmill in a band is enough.

As for Kleers initial question I would say: Mention 3 solos I don't like. grinning smiley

Posted by: moonlightaffair ()
Date: April 10, 2014 19:14

LuxuryStones
One windmill in a band is enough.

As for Kleers initial question I would say: Mention 3 solos I don't like. grinning smiley

So true! cool smiley Hard to pick favorites. But Taylor's Love in Vain solos from L&G slay me every time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-10 19:15 by moonlightaffair.

Date: April 10, 2014 19:26

I'm with Mathijs.

Gimme Shelter, London, September 9, 1973

Date: April 10, 2014 19:31

Richard from Canada
I'm with Mathijs.

thumbs up Is this the version on the "unofficial" Brussels Affair boot?

Date: April 10, 2014 20:06

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
DoomandGloom

Mathijs

First of all we should avoid the qualification 'whiner', because that kills any discussion. For the rest anything is debatable. But regardless of quantity (of having listened certain music), it's obvious that personal preferences and taste are of great importance. But they shouldn't be mixed up with facts.
As for being on thin ice, that's a rather obscure expression - what do you mean by it?

Good! Then we agree. What's wrong with a little whining, btw? You have been constantly complaining about a release lots of other posters treasure, keep that in mind smiling smiley

Being on thin ice means being on unsafe ground. In this case, it has to do with being dead sure about something one might not have the total knowledge of...

Date: April 10, 2014 20:27

moonlightaffair
Richard from Canada
I'm with Mathijs.

It's on the bootleg called Brussels Affair-Definitive Edition.
And here you have it:

Date: April 10, 2014 20:42

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
DoomandGloom

Mathijs

Good! Then we agree. What's wrong with a little whining, btw? You have been constantly complaining about a release lots of other posters treasure, keep that in mind smiling smiley

Being on thin ice means being on unsafe ground. In this case, it has to do with being dead sure about something one might not have the total knowledge of...

Qualifying someone as a whiner and/or a complainer comes down to disqualifying him. I criticized the sound quality of the official BA, delivering a strong and verifiable argument. So what if lots of posters treasure it or not? Is that of any relevance to the discussion? I don't think so. Or do you mean that is the running doctrine here?

Of course I know the meaning of the expression, but in this context it was and still is obscure to me, because I'm "dead sure" about something which is a fact.

Date: April 10, 2014 21:13

He he, kleerie smiling smiley That's exactly what I'm talking about..

My point was that if other people love something, repeated, hard criticism of it may come across as whining.

No one's disqualified from anything, I don't see the logic in that?

Good to see that your mixing/mastering education paid off grinning smiley

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: April 10, 2014 21:22

I enjoyed everything he did in the Stones. It is hard to choose favorites, really unfortunate his solo efforts received lackluster reviews.

Date: April 10, 2014 21:40

DandelionPowderman
He he, kleerie smiling smiley That's exactly what I'm talking about..

My point was that if other people love something, repeated, hard criticism of it may come across as whining.

No one's disqualified from anything, I don't see the logic in that?

Good to see that your mixing/mastering education paid off grinning smiley

Wait until you're able to listen to Kevin's improvement of the official BA. People who treasure it already will go crazy. cool smiley

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: April 10, 2014 22:18

Surprised nobody has included this........

Taylor showing the world he is still Mick Taylor, during the fantastic 12 minute performance of Midnight Rambler in Shanghai earlier this year.

The screeching by a member of the audience at 6:40 sums the performance up completely

The Stones absolutely on fire!

What a drag it is gettin' old

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-10 22:23 by 68to72.

Date: April 11, 2014 16:05

68to72
Surprised nobody has included this........

Taylor showing the world he is still Mick Taylor, during the fantastic 12 minute performance of Midnight Rambler in Shanghai earlier this year.

The screeching by a member of the audience at 6:40 sums the performance up completely

The Stones absolutely on fire!

Absolutely incredible! Thanks for posting this!

Posted by: asinandalie ()
Date: April 11, 2014 16:13

i find the stones and mick taylor fairly indulgent in their live performances in the 70s, i can't listen to them.

i am a big mick taylor fan though. my favourites are i) stray cat blues on ya yas b) sympathy for the devil on ya yas and iii) no expectations with the rhythm kings.

all of those are amazin' and keef can only watch in awe smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-11 16:13 by asinandalie.

Date: April 11, 2014 16:50

asinandalie
i find the stones and mick taylor fairly indulgent in their live performances in the 70s, i can't listen to them.

i am a big mick taylor fan though. my favourites are i) stray cat blues on ya yas b) sympathy for the devil on ya yas and iii) no expectations with the rhythm kings.

Not only Keith but the entire band and audience are in awe. I think Keith loves his playing as does Ronnie.

Date: April 11, 2014 17:26

kleermaker
moonlightaffair
Richard from Canada
I'm with Mathijs.

It's on the bootleg called Brussels Affair-Definitive Edition.
And here you have it:

Thanks Kleermaker. cool smiley

Posted by: MarkSchneider ()
Date: April 13, 2014 00:26

All gems!

And what about this wah wah special one? ( 2'10"-3'30" )

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-14 11:11 by MarkSchneider.

Date: April 14, 2014 14:20

And this phenomenal MT's guitar work/solos on Gimme Shelter (Virginia 1972), unfortunately betrayed by the audio quality:

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-14 14:25 by MarkSchneider.

Date: April 14, 2014 14:23

asinandalie

He is playing, too, right? winking smiley

Date: April 14, 2014 14:31

Keith played fantastic, as always. With MT, he definitely met (and is still meeting) his perfect musical match.

Date: April 14, 2014 14:51

MarkSchneider
Keith played fantastic, as always. With MT, he definitely met (and is still meeting) his perfect musical match.

All three guitar players have been a great musical match for Keith (for different reasons).

Date: April 14, 2014 15:25

Lucky Keith who found utmost match!

Mick Taylor (guitar)
Mick Jagger (song writing)
Brian Jones (arrangement)
Charlie Watts (rythm)
Ron Wood (mate)

Date: April 14, 2014 15:30

Mick Taylor (guitar) - true - for a while
Mick Jagger (song writing) - for a while, Mick was the lucky one
Brian Jones (arrangement) - For a while, a brilliant guitar partner
Charlie Watts (rythm) - true
Ron Wood (mate) - for a while, his best guitar PARTNER

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-14 15:33 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: April 14, 2014 15:50

DandelionPowderman

Are we talking about talent/skill here, or personal taste? smiling smiley

Date: April 14, 2014 15:52

LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman

Are we talking about taste here? grinning smiley

Date: April 14, 2014 16:22

LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman

OK. Keith was nothing but lucky, SF isn't better than IORR, Brian couldn't play, Charlie is good tonight and the Stones didn't have a revival with SG and TY.

I get it grinning smiley

Just wanted to show how it looks if you say controversial things, purely based on taste like Mark did.

At least, I had some facts thrown in there somewhere winking smiley

Date: April 14, 2014 16:23

So why isn't GS from Mobile 72 mentioned in this thread?

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1915
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home