Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
TOP 3 Greatest Taylor Solos - Stones related
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 9, 2014 20:29

Which are Taylor's three greatest solo's that are related to Stones music? A difficult question, but to my taste these they are:

1) You Can't Always Get What You Want - live in London, 1973 Sept. 8, first show, from 4:09 on

2) Sway - live with Carla Olson in Los Angeles, 1990 March 4 (the whole second solo)

3) Winter - studio version with Carla Olson, recorded in 1990, from 4:03 on

Re: TOP 3 Greatest Taylor Solos - Stones related
Date: April 9, 2014 20:37

All Down The Line - Exile
If You Can't Rock Me - IORR
Stray Cat Blues - Ya Yas

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: April 9, 2014 20:51

I'd go with Kleerie's first two, but substitute Winter for the Love In Vain solo from Welcome To New York. There's nothing wrong with that version of Winter, of course - it's great - but Love In Vain defines Taylor's brilliance, and that particular version is the best I've ever heard:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-09 20:52 by Stoneburst.

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: April 9, 2014 20:57

Marriage Madness from John Mayall's LP Back To The Roots - 1970

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-09 20:59 by LiveAtHidepark.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 9, 2014 21:23

Kleeries second one is a nice one and clearly shows a new level of Taylors guitar playing...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 9, 2014 21:37

Stoneburst
I'd go with Kleerie's first two, but substitute Winter for the Love In Vain solo from Welcome To New York. There's nothing wrong with that version of Winter, of course - it's great - but Love In Vain defines Taylor's brilliance, and that particular version is the best I've ever heard:

Wow... That is when guitar playing meant more than posing in The Rolling Stones.... The Richards/Taylor pairing was the greatest guitar duo in all of rock and this comes from a giant Allman Brothers fan... Here's my 3... 1 LIV- Ya Ya's.. CYHMK -SF and...

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: April 9, 2014 21:53

Although it's not a Stones song, Taylor's work on Stop Breaking Down is simply masterful and contrasts perfectly to Jagger's grunge playing.

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: April 9, 2014 21:58

My favourite Mick Taylor moment.....

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: April 9, 2014 22:06

gimmelittledrink
Although it's not a Stones song, Taylor's work on Stop Breaking Down is simply masterful and contrasts perfectly to Jagger's grunge playing.

Agree 100%, You can tell he's still sort of figuring out his approach to playing slide - he'd have it nailed completely by the time they toured later in the year - but that rawness suits the song perfectly.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 9, 2014 22:17

Love In Vain (Ya Yas)
Sway
Winter

Date: April 9, 2014 22:41

This is jaw droppingly beautiful

Date: April 9, 2014 22:51

This has to be on everyone's favourite list..... A Richards Taylor dual assault....
Never tire of hearing it

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 9, 2014 23:08

1. Gimme Shelter, London, September 9, 1973
2. Gimme Shelter, Washington July 4, 1972
3. Gimme Shelter, Birmingham, September 19, 1973.

Mathijs

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: April 9, 2014 23:39

Oh, this is not about Taylor Swift?

Date: April 9, 2014 23:42

Mathijs you are one consistent anti-Taylorite.... A point that is missed here on IORR is the great influence Taylor had on Keith, making him a better blues player, capable of taking the reigns back in 1975. Of course the reverse is true as we know Taylor mimics Richard's style on MM and Winter for example. At their moment they were perfect for one another. Taylor on the cutting edge with Allman, Bloomfield and Clapton while Keith invented new ways to interpret guitar and songwriting for popular music. If John Lennon were still around he'd be allot like Keith I guess, those s.o.b.'s wrote the book on greatness.

Date: April 9, 2014 23:51

Mathijs

Mathijs
Hi, Send this to Pierre if you can.... [www.ebay.com]

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: April 9, 2014 23:58

Plunder My Soul - Exile Re-Issue
Midnight Rambler - November 25, 2012
I don't really have a third

I pick these two because, before the Exile re-issue, no one expected that Taylor would ever be in the studio doing work for the Stones again and before 11/25/2012 no one really expected to see him playing on stage with the Stones again. Sure, there may be better examples of his playing but, from my point of view, it was pretty great that they had him in the studio for some sweetening of a track from the Exile era and that they brought him in as a guest on their 50+ years live shows. In both these cases, it wasn't WHAT he played, it was THAT he played.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: April 9, 2014 23:58

Just three? OK...

1) Sway, with Carla Olsen, '90:

http://youtu.be/6dd3aNFcw80

2) Gimme Shelter, Philly '72 (not sure if it's the first or second show as I've seen it credited to both... but Taylor just goes OFF during the second solo - it's whatever the show was where Mick J. didn't come back in earlier, if that makes any sense.)

3) Either of the Heartbreakers from Brussels '73 - the Bedspring Symphony one or the official release. His tone and the rude noises he gets from the wah are just nuclear.

Posted by: MLC5555 ()
Date: April 10, 2014 04:41

Stoneburst
I'd go with Kleerie's first two, but substitute Winter for the Love In Vain solo from Welcome To New York. There's nothing wrong with that version of Winter, of course - it's great - but Love In Vain defines Taylor's brilliance, and that particular version is the best I've ever heard

Stoneburst - The Former MCDDTLC here. (that acct got deleted for some reason?)

My personnel favorite Live version of LOVE IN VAIN,is from the Boot: DRIPPIN HONEY
1972 Charlotte N.C. I suggest you track that version down and compare....
Taylor's Melodic Leads are SPECIAL in this un-forgetable recording. What I wouldn't give to jump in a time machine and go back to catch this show, and Wash DC on the 4th of July to see the all-time GREATEST version of: CAGWYW
Another Taylor/Stones MUST-HAVE!!! MLC
Love what your doing - Klear!!!!

Posted by: MLC5555 ()
Date: April 10, 2014 04:52

kleermaker
Which are Taylor's three greatest solo's that are related to Stones music? A difficult question, but to my taste these they are:

1) You Can't Always Get What You Want - live in London, 1973 Sept. 8, first show, from 4:09 on

2) Sway - live with Carla Olson in Los Angeles, 1990 March 4 (the whole second solo)

3) Winter - studio version with Carla Olson, recorded in 1990, from 4:03 on

Kleery - Ever hear the SWAY version from the 1st show that night with Carla?? Quite impressive, have it on a boot - Carla said that one day, she might release the 1st show... Let's hope - Incredible version of" Rubies & Diamonds'
superior to the "Snakes Live CD"... MLC

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: April 10, 2014 05:56

Man was Mick ever better in 73 than he was later in the decade! He actually sang and I quess the marching powder and ego hadn't quite won him over just yet, at that time. If you listen to Love YoU Live than listen to this there's no comparison and it's a shame he wasted so many of their 70's-80's performances being such an arrogant jerk. Fame and constant faltery might just turm any of us in to the same kinda guy though so let's just be glad he's kind of returned to earth in his later years.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: April 10, 2014 12:15

1. Gimme Shelter, Philadelphia '72 (don't remember which show)
2. Can't You Hear Me Knocking, studio version
3. Sympathy for the Devil, Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!

But there are tons of Taylor solos I love. He was great in Australia '73 and during the '69-70 tours. And Winter on GHS....

Date: April 10, 2014 12:24

Winter is more like a theme than a solo, imo. But his playing is nice on that one.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 10, 2014 12:39

DoomandGloom
Mathijs you are one consistent anti-Taylorite....

Er, he? Wot? I name three tracks that really blow my socks off, and than I am a anti-Taylorite?

He's done a ton of fantastic things (TD and Angie solo from Brussels, Heartbreaker from London, Sympathy from Ya Ya's, Love in Vain and YCAGWYW in 1972), but these three really spring in mind first of mind-boggling solo's he's done. These are carreer defining in my opinion.

And no, I don't think he made Keith a better player (Ronnie did that, from 1975 to 1982 on), and no I don't think Taylor was a good rhythm guitar player, and yes I do think his role in the Stones is very much overrated. But that all doesn't take anything away from these three stand-out moments.

Mathijs

Date: April 10, 2014 14:59

MLC5555
kleermaker

Kleery - Ever hear the SWAY version from the 1st show that night with Carla?? Quite impressive, have it on a boot - Carla said that one day, she might release the 1st show... Let's hope - Incredible version of" Rubies & Diamonds'
superior to the "Snakes Live CD"... MLC

No MLC, I never heard it, alas. I also don't have that boot. Maybe you could upload it, or at least that Sway version?
I have another Sway-solo (not the whole song) from a show in autumn 1991 (I don't know the exact date). It's quite nice too.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 10, 2014 15:08

Mathijs
no I don't think Taylor was a good rhythm guitar player
Mathijs

thumbs up but in defense of MT it was hard to compete with Keith on that field. I mean keef basically invented rythmn guitar playing in the Rock realm.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: April 10, 2014 15:26

Mick T was never a big rhythm guitar player, but he sure did have his moments, especially early in his Stones time. Like the live versions of Stray Cat Blues, Live With Me and Bitch, where he did some great riffs and counter-melodies with very good timing, and some songs where he did simple but tight chord playing, like the backing stuff on the first part of CYHMK or Sympathy for the Devil during the '69-70 tour.

During the '73 European tour the Stones weren't as dynamic anymore. There's a lot of coke-addled rock 'n' roll where Keith just bangs away in open G and Mick Taylor noodles on top (while Mick Jagger goes a bit crazy as well). Not the same interplay as they had in '69, though there were exceptions, such as YCAGWYW and Angie.

Because Keith and Mick T were so different, and the Stones was such an evolving group of people, maybe that period of guitar magic around 1970 was bound to be very short, never to happen again.

Date: April 10, 2014 16:10

Mathijs

Mathijs

All those famous Gimme Shelters are included in my GS-series on YT: [www.youtube.com]

Date: April 10, 2014 16:30

Mathijs
DoomandGloom

Er, he? Wot? I name three tracks that really blow my socks off, and than I am a anti-Taylorite?

He's done a ton of fantastic things (TD and Angie solo from Brussels, Heartbreaker from London, Sympathy from Ya Ya's, Love in Vain and YCAGWYW in 1972), but these three really spring in mind first of mind-boggling solo's he's done. These are carreer defining in my opinion.

And no, I don't think he made Keith a better player (Ronnie did that, from 1975 to 1982 on), and no I don't think Taylor was a good rhythm guitar player, and yes I do think his role in the Stones is very much overrated. But that all doesn't take anything away from these three stand-out moments.

Mathijs

"Anti-Taylorite" or "Anti-Taylor"? smiling smiley

DoomAndGloom probably hasn't been around here long enough to catch the hundreds of positive posts about Taylor you've shared with us...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-10 16:31 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: April 10, 2014 16:53

DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
DoomandGloom

Mathijs

"Anti-Taylorite" or "Anti-Taylor"? smiling smiley

DoomAndGloom probably hasn't been around here long enough to catch the hundreds of positive posts about Taylor you've shared with us...

Come on Dandie, don't try to seem ignorant. Our dear friend Matthijs is the contrary of a Taylorite, in fact he's the informal leader of the anti-Taylor lobby here. grinning smiley
As for you yourself, I think you're at least ambiguous on this matter.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1134
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home