Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7
Re: The Keith Richards image
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 3, 2014 17:07

Brian and Anita inpired him of course. ALO had to work hard on Keith but it was Anita who shaped him into the new Brian. Hendrix and Lou Reed too of course. And later on I guess his own shy persona melted with the created image. His calm heroin persona of the 70s where he sounds like a non-articulate Brian. Brian, Anita and Keith smiled in the same way too. Quite an incestous relation. I prefer that 70s smacked out Keith. He never looked cooler than at Knebworth 1976. Or did he? Maybe in 1977. or 1978 or 1979. After 1980 he never looked the same.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 3, 2014 17:52

negol
I'm not just talking about the clothes, even though that is a BIG part of it, but also Keith's way of talking, ending every other sentence with ''baby'' or ''girl'', calling people ''cats'' etc., that's not very English to me. And not very Connecticut, either (right?)

I think "cats" is English sixties slang. All this "baby-talk" is basically very stupid but it has always been a part of rock and pop lyrics.

Date: April 3, 2014 18:00

Stoneage
negol
I'm not just talking about the clothes, even though that is a BIG part of it, but also Keith's way of talking, ending every other sentence with ''baby'' or ''girl'', calling people ''cats'' etc., that's not very English to me. And not very Connecticut, either (right?)

I think "cats" is English sixties slang. All this "baby-talk" is basically very stupid but it has always been a part of rock and pop lyrics.

Cats is old american jazz player-slang, from what I understand. ..

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: April 3, 2014 18:11

His most amazing look was Rock 'n' Roll Circus, even though the teeth were starting to go.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 3, 2014 18:20

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage
negol

Cats is old american jazz player-slang, from what I understand. ..

You're right, Dandy. But adopted by English art school kids, like Keith, in the early sixties (late fifties) I guess...

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 3, 2014 18:27

nightskyman
I'd say he's done a fine job cultivating it. For me he's always been the most interesting Stone because of it.

Nowadays I think he does appear (to me anyway) a little more down to earth (now that he's a grandfather).

He's let the guard slip a bit in recent years.

He's just matured, like most folks do, but still likes to see himself as a bit of a rebel and a scoundrel.

I can identify with that winking smiley

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 3, 2014 22:07

DandelionPowderman
stonehearted
If you'll notice, stage-wise, he became more of a forceful presence on stage beginning with Hyde Park, when for the first time the spotlight became him and Mick, rather than in previous years when all the attention went to Mick and Brian. With Brian out of the picture and Mick Taylor standing stock still, Keith was free to fill that void.

His cord was a bit short in HP, though smiling smiley

I think the increasing focus on Keith (and less on Brian) began in 1966 already, if you look at performances and videos.

It was a short stage. smiling smiley

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: April 3, 2014 22:44

More than once Keith said of himself and a friend who sang in their school choir "We were the biggest hoods in the school." But I think part of that is a contrived stance to counter a shyness he doesn't like having. He's denied being shy, but a woman in my party when I saw the Stones in 2005 at the MGM Grand—a woman who who was not at all a Stones fan, but just wanted to spend a few days with friends in Vegas—said after the show regarding Keith's vocal turns, "You can tell Keith Richards is shy." If she noticed it... It kind of brings to mind the actor's adage: "Acting is a shy man's revenge."

Date: April 3, 2014 22:56

stonehearted
DandelionPowderman
stonehearted
If you'll notice, stage-wise, he became more of a forceful presence on stage beginning with Hyde Park, when for the first time the spotlight became him and Mick, rather than in previous years when all the attention went to Mick and Brian. With Brian out of the picture and Mick Taylor standing stock still, Keith was free to fill that void.

His cord was a bit short in HP, though smiling smiley

I think the increasing focus on Keith (and less on Brian) began in 1966 already, if you look at performances and videos.

It was a short stage. smiling smiley

It sure was. And still he couldn't move to the tip of the stage smiling smiley

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 3, 2014 23:24

Title5Take1
More than once Keith said of himself and a friend who sang in their school choir "We were the biggest hoods in the school." But I think part of that is a contrived stance to counter a shyness he doesn't like having. He's denied being shy, but a woman in my party when I saw the Stones in 2005 at the MGM Grand—a woman who who was not at all a Stones fan, but just wanted to spend a few days with friends in Vegas—said after the show regarding Keith's vocal turns, "You can tell Keith Richards is shy." If she noticed it... It kind of brings to mind the actor's adage: "Acting is a shy man's revenge."

I think he's probably grown out of his shyness. But now that he doesn't appear to be drinking that much, he does seem to rely more on stock answers then he did in his wilder days. I see that as more caution on his part that he doesn't say something to rock the Stones boat. A more sober and deliberate Keith.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 3, 2014 23:33

...hard ta find Alexis Korner being interviwed usually only get
glimpses of him in blues docos etc but here's one from around 1970 ...
Check da clothes ..scarves trinkets ..mannerisms etc ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: April 4, 2014 00:10

Rockman

You have nailed it. Listening to him talking with your eyes shut, it could be Keith. Then add the mannerisms. Keith's accent has always puzzled me given his insistence (adopted by biographers) of a bog standard working class background. His accent is very much not an English working class one of that time and hasn't been at any point since he started giving interviews (unlike say, Charlie and Bill). He has obviously cultivated an upper middle class accent at some early stage (which goes totally against his image)- but maybe Korner was the unconscious image maker.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 4, 2014 01:31

Stoneage
negol

you got that right baby!

Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: April 4, 2014 03:28

We all have several dimensions of our persona that change and evolve, I would say that no other individual can verbally shape your individual persona (meaning they cannot tell you how to be or how to act) it all comes from your energy, and the core of your being (which I believe has existed before this life-time), along with some influences of course, but those fall by the wayside after awhile...I beleive Keith Richards has been who he is long before he was born and named Keith Richards...His energy and persona along with yours, mine and everyone elses has existed long before his time here on earth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-04 03:29 by 2120Wolf.

Posted by: Sam4741 ()
Date: April 4, 2014 03:34

Keith's coolest era in terms of image was late 70'/early 80s. Don't know if it's a coincidence that this is also my favorite era of his guitar playing.In regards to image though: Before '78 he seemed too high and just out of it. Since '89 he's been trying a bit too hard. Keith from '78-'83 was just boss.

Date: April 4, 2014 03:38

treaclefingers
Stoneage
negol

you got that right baby!

"Cats" goes back to the US 1920's Jazz, Blues, and possibly somewhere else before that....but definitley before 60's English Slang.

Date: April 4, 2014 03:48

2120Wolf
treaclefingers
Stoneage
negol

you got that right baby!

"Cats" goes back to the US 1920's Jazz, Blues, and possibly somewhere else before that....but definitley before 60's English Slang.

Short answer is that cats wail and so do musicians. At least that's how I've always took it to mean.

And here's another answer...

More men are unabashedly embracing their love for cats...

Sorry, Fido, It’s Just a Guy Thing

[www.nytimes.com]

Date: April 4, 2014 03:53

2120Wolf
We all have several dimensions of our persona that change and evolve, I would say that no other individual can verbally shape your individual persona (meaning they cannot tell you how to be or how to act) it all comes from your energy, and the core of your being (which I believe has existed before this life-time), along with some influences of course, but those fall by the wayside after awhile...I beleive Keith Richards has been who he is long before he was born and named Keith Richards...His energy and persona along with yours, mine and everyone elses has existed long before his time here on earth.

You sorta lost me there 2120Wolf...but, you sound like a cool cat. cool smiley

Date: April 4, 2014 04:03

latebloomer
2120Wolf

You sorta lost me there 2120Wolf...but, you sound like a cool cat. cool smiley

Yes LateBloomer, I sort of lost myself there for a second as well, but I am OK now...thanks....you're Kool too just like Keith !!!

Date: April 4, 2014 04:08

latebloomer
2120Wolf
treaclefingers
Stoneage
negol

you got that right baby!

Short answer is that cats wail and so do musicians. At least that's how I've always took it to mean.

And here's another answer...

More men are unabashedly embracing their love for cats...

Sorry, Fido, It’s Just a Guy Thing

[www.nytimes.com]

Yes True, thru-out the course of my life, I have had what I would call 4-best friends they have all left the planet and have journeyed to another realm, aside from my girl-friend, my best friend for the last 7 years has been her black cat named Ray, kind of wild that I never really cared much for cats and now I have a black one as a best friend...Keith Always looked up to and emulated the Black Cats.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-04 04:10 by 2120Wolf.

Date: April 4, 2014 10:16

Posted by: negol ()
Date: April 4, 2014 10:26

Rockman

Wow, spot on!

Also: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 4, 2014 10:43

Alexis Korner

Keith: "Hello, how... are ya?"

Date: April 4, 2014 10:51

HighwireC posted it in this thread about Korner

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-04 10:56 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: April 4, 2014 11:49

I think the main thing about Keith is that when he became an incorrigible drunk around 1980, he developed (or revealed) a MASSIVE ego. He likes to give Jagger down the road about ego and it's utterly hypocritical of him to call ANYBODY else an egotist. From all the interviews we've seen and read since he crawled into a bottle, he has an ego and a sense of self-importance that DWARFS Jagger's. I disagree about his "maturing." One read-through of 'Life" is all the evidence you need to see that the man hasn't matured a lick since the Stones hit it big in 1964.He's a 70-year-old adolescent and I don't find it attractive. The junked-out Keith was cool, as was the Big Four era Keith before that. He was the strong silent type. Almost humble.That guy died a long time ago.It's not cool to run down your band mates in print. It's not cool to play up your role as the creative engine in the Stones when we've learned just in the past few years that he was hardly that at all. It's not cool to rip off tens of thousands of paying customers when he was too f**ked up to play well. I love the man for the great music he made consistently in the golden era, but the guy who wrote 'Life' is too often just a plain old jerk. Some of you will think I'm being too hard on him, but he's been so hard on Mick and Brian (among others) for so long, that he invites a big taste of his own medicine.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 4, 2014 14:07

...heck you I'd hate ta be at a circus with you and rob51 ....

ROCKMAN

Date: April 4, 2014 15:22

From4tilLate
I think the main thing about Keith is that when he became an incorrigible drunk around 1980, he developed (or revealed) a MASSIVE ego. He likes to give Jagger down the road about ego and it's utterly hypocritical of him to call ANYBODY else an egotist. From all the interviews we've seen and read since he crawled into a bottle, he has an ego and a sense of self-importance that DWARFS Jagger's. I disagree about his "maturing." One read-through of 'Life" is all the evidence you need to see that the man hasn't matured a lick since the Stones hit it big in 1964.He's a 70-year-old adolescent and I don't find it attractive. The junked-out Keith was cool, as was the Big Four era Keith before that. He was the strong silent type. Almost humble.That guy died a long time ago.It's not cool to run down your band mates in print. It's not cool to play up your role as the creative engine in the Stones when we've learned just in the past few years that he was hardly that at all. It's not cool to rip off tens of thousands of paying customers when he was too f**ked up to play well. I love the man for the great music he made consistently in the golden era, but the guy who wrote 'Life' is too often just a plain old jerk. Some of you will think I'm being too hard on him, but he's been so hard on Mick and Brian (among others) for so long, that he invites a big taste of his own medicine.

Amen. thumbs up And it's a pity.

Date: April 4, 2014 15:30

It's funny how much he sounds like Keith, because English isn't even his first language. Go to the end of the video to hear him speak German.

Spoonful

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: April 4, 2014 16:06

Lady Jayne
Rockman

You have nailed it. Listening to him talking with your eyes shut, it could be Keith. Then add the mannerisms. Keith's accent has always puzzled me given his insistence (adopted by biographers) of a bog standard working class background. His accent is very much not an English working class one of that time and hasn't been at any point since he started giving interviews (unlike say, Charlie and Bill). He has obviously cultivated an upper middle class accent at some early stage (which goes totally against his image)- but maybe Korner was the unconscious image maker.

Does Charlie have a working class accent?

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: April 4, 2014 16:09

From4tilLate

Er...based on my observations I come to roughly the same conclusions eye rolling smiley
But a) you still can have a good laugh with him and b) I think the last 12 months or so he changed a bit (less bottles I guess) from not cool into a little more acceptable.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1509
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home