Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: The Keith Richards image
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 4, 2014 16:43

Keith's problem s that he's a bit of a "gob-shite".

His mouth runs away with him ...which isn't always a good thing for somebody with the world's tabloid media waiting to quote [or misquote] every utterance.

Keith of course knows all this. Sometimes I think he just says stuff out of pure devilment to get a reaction.

Date: April 4, 2014 16:46

He's totally aware of it.

Have we ever heard him say bad things about John Hooker, Muddy Waters or Johnnie Johnson?

But how harmful are his quotes, really?

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: April 4, 2014 17:42

DandelionPowderman

Have we ever heard him say bad things about John Hooker, Muddy Waters or Johnnie Johnson?

Yes.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 4, 2014 17:42

I dont know, he hasnt targeted me, but I find him embarrassing from 1980 something, 1989 maybe. Charile left the Some Girls PR when Keith said something about Brian being in the pool (the bit with Norman Gunston sans Jagger, 1978). He's still cool in 1978 of course.

Date: April 4, 2014 19:09

Dreamer
DandelionPowderman

Yes.

Other than laughing about how drunk Hooker was in 89, publicly?

Date: April 5, 2014 00:38

DandelionPowderman
Dreamer
DandelionPowderman

Yes.

The way he told this untrue story "Muddy Waters was painting the ceiling at Chess Studios." It never happened! But really the way he told it was actually an insult. He should get an Oscar for acting this outrage for something that never happened; as if Muddy needed protection or something confused smiley . Muddy was a man who would do it with a smile on his face because he was a kind person ready to help people. He probably would laugh about it and not even feel insulted but it's such a stupid story. I'm not sure in what year KR started telling this bs (I thought in the eighties?) but I will ask his son Mud if Muddy ever heard about it and if he did what he thought about that.
I know Marshall Chess, Norman Dayron (Chess Producer) & Buddy Guy stated it's a made up story by KR...

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 5, 2014 00:42

Date: April 5, 2014 00:52

Bärs
Lady Jayne
Rockman
...hard ta find Alexis Korner being interviwed usually only get
glimpses of him in blues docos etc but here's one from around 1970 ...
Check da clothes ..scarves trinkets ..mannerisms etc ...

You have nailed it. Listening to him talking with your eyes shut, it could be Keith. Then add the mannerisms. Keith's accent has always puzzled me given his insistence (adopted by biographers) of a bog standard working class background. His accent is very much not an English working class one of that time and hasn't been at any point since he started giving interviews (unlike say, Charlie and Bill). He has obviously cultivated an upper middle class accent at some early stage (which goes totally against his image)- but maybe Korner was the unconscious image maker.

Does Charlie have a working class accent?

I see a lot more of Brian in Alexis' way.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 5, 2014 03:47

Dreamer
From4tilLate
I think the main thing about Keith is that when he became an incorrigible drunk around 1980, he developed (or revealed) a MASSIVE ego. He likes to give Jagger down the road about ego and it's utterly hypocritical of him to call ANYBODY else an egotist. From all the interviews we've seen and read since he crawled into a bottle, he has an ego and a sense of self-importance that DWARFS Jagger's. I disagree about his "maturing." One read-through of 'Life" is all the evidence you need to see that the man hasn't matured a lick since the Stones hit it big in 1964.He's a 70-year-old adolescent and I don't find it attractive. The junked-out Keith was cool, as was the Big Four era Keith before that. He was the strong silent type. Almost humble.That guy died a long time ago.It's not cool to run down your band mates in print. It's not cool to play up your role as the creative engine in the Stones when we've learned just in the past few years that he was hardly that at all. It's not cool to rip off tens of thousands of paying customers when he was too f**ked up to play well. I love the man for the great music he made consistently in the golden era, but the guy who wrote 'Life' is too often just a plain old jerk. Some of you will think I'm being too hard on him, but he's been so hard on Mick and Brian (among others) for so long, that he invites a big taste of his own medicine.

Er...based on my observations I come to roughly the same conclusions eye rolling smiley
But a) you still can have a good laugh with him and b) I think the last 12 months or so he changed a bit (less bottles I guess) from not cool into a little more acceptable.

I think you're both right...I think Mick put the fear of god in him with the release of LIFE and Keith's on his best behaviour. I just hope we don't get 'AFTER LIFE' after they're done the tour.

Date: April 5, 2014 11:46

There will be a movie...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 5, 2014 12:39

Dreamer
DandelionPowderman
Dreamer
DandelionPowderman

Yes.

The way he told this untrue story "Muddy Waters was painting the ceiling at Chess Studios." It never happened! But really the way he told it was actually an insult. He should get an Oscar for acting this outrage for something that never happened; as if Muddy needed protection or something confused smiley . Muddy was a man who would do it with a smile on his face because he was a kind person ready to help people. He probably would laugh about it and not even feel insulted but it's such a stupid story. I'm not sure in what year KR started telling this bs (I thought in the eighties?) but I will ask his son Mud if Muddy ever heard about it and if he did what he thought about that.
I know Marshall Chess, Norman Dayron (Chess Producer) & Buddy Guy stated it's a made up story by KR...

But if I recall right James Phelge in his book claims that Brian told that story to him... but then again, Bill Wyman - Keith's main wittness in LIFE - has denied it straight-forwardly (even before the release of LIFE).

I have always taken Keith's story as a metaphor with the moral of saying that the blues records didn't sell any longer very well at the time when the Stones and other r&b acts from England hitted America. There was no bad intention. The trouble is that it seemingly hurt people involved. Not so much Muddy I guess - like you said intersting to know if he was awere of the story at all, and what he might think of it - but as I have understood (some years ago I tried to find anything related to it), it gives a rather racist picture of Chess records routines. As an European, that's hard for me to understand, but seemingly that was and is an aspect one needs to consider. Political correctness. Then there are those, especially from black community and from Muddy's circles, who just don't accept the idea of Muddy doing the very thing - that offends the legacy of the man and his artistic integrity. He would never do such a thing.

So my picture is that being the story true or not, Keith is not doing a right thing when repeating it again and again. He doesn't seem to respect at all the people who see there more than he does, or see the consequences of his words. In LIFE the way he does it, starts to sound like saving his own ass, knowing its truth being denied, and desperately tries to show its accuracy. I think that actually shows that one feature of Keith's "image" - the topic here - namely that of being such a blues man, and one of the "brothers", a home in black community, is actually rather far from reality. A romantic rich pop star's talk, which sounds good (especially to the ears like ours). But he is very far from the world of people like Muddy Waters. If he would actually understand some of that world, he would had let that story die a long time ago, or not even coming up with it in the first place. Be it true or not.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-05 12:50 by Doxa.

Posted by: howled ()
Date: April 5, 2014 13:18

Date: April 5, 2014 13:29

Keith also said Muddy helped them with the flight cases, and that other Chess musicians were changing light bulbs etc. I've always interpreted this story as a way of thanking the fellow blues musicians - their heroes - for accepting them.

Accurate or not, his point came across to me, at least...

Posted by: howled ()
Date: April 5, 2014 13:48

I think it might have been a story told to Brian by Leonard Chess's son.

Maybe Muddy helped Leonard Chess in the early days sometimes by doing some part time things around the studio.

[www.theguardian.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-05 13:51 by howled.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 5, 2014 14:58

howled
[books.google.com]

Thanks providing this link. What Ahmet E. says there backs up Keith's story by showing that it was at least in a theory possible. That contradicts the criticism which says that no way Muddy would do such a thing.

- Doxa

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 5, 2014 15:24

Doxa
howled
[books.google.com]

Thanks providing this link. What Ahmet E. says there backs up Keith's story by showing that it was at least in a theory possible. That contradicts the criticism which says that no way Muddy would do such a thing.

- Doxa

in Phelge's book the muddy painting the ceiling story is attributed to Brian.

c

Date: April 6, 2014 00:48

Muddy would do such a thing when he liked them and/or if they asked him. But it didn't happen.

Marshall Chess said: I’ve laughed in his face many times as he’s insisted he saw Muddy up a ladder with a paint brush in hand. I guess people want to believe that it’s true.

Norman Dayron said: Marshall is right, Keith is wrong. And if Muddy Waters was helping carry anybody’s amplifiers – which isn’t likely – he was doing it out of courtesy.

Buddy Guy said: I was the new guy. If anybody would have been painting the ceiling, it would have been me.

I'm curious if MW ever heard about the thing and I hope Mud jr has something to say about it.

Date: April 6, 2014 00:54

DandelionPowderman
There will be a movie...

A movie? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
You mean a very long commercial...

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 6, 2014 01:22

Keith is a di*k head but genuine and easy to like. He is not a tough guy but a gentle person instead. He could have been a more respectful performer and not been wasted for 3 decades but we could all have been better about that... He is a snob about his place in rock history but he is after all in the tops of the topper-most. I don't begrudge him, whatever it takes to get on stage is cool, he's got plenty of demons. He's done allot of good rock.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-06 01:25 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: April 6, 2014 01:28

stonehearted
If you'll notice, stage-wise, he became more of a forceful presence on stage beginning with Hyde Park, when for the first time the spotlight became him and Mick, rather than in previous years when all the attention went to Mick and Brian. With Brian out of the picture and Mick Taylor standing stock still, Keith was free to fill that void.

Good observation. Although Keith wasn't exactly stone faced as Bill Wyman prior to Brain's death the focus definitely became much sharper.

CBII

Date: April 6, 2014 01:32

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage
negol
I'm not just talking about the clothes, even though that is a BIG part of it, but also Keith's way of talking, ending every other sentence with ''baby'' or ''girl'', calling people ''cats'' etc., that's not very English to me. And not very Connecticut, either (right?)

I think "cats" is English sixties slang. All this "baby-talk" is basically very stupid but it has always been a part of rock and pop lyrics.

Cats is old american jazz player-slang, from what I understand. ..

Exactly DandelionPowderman! Terms like those pre-date the sixties by an easy 30 years. The big band era or Cab Calloway, Duke Ellington and the like had a vernacular laced with words and phrases of that sort.

Date: April 6, 2014 01:39

Dreamer
DandelionPowderman
There will be a movie...

A movie? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
You mean a very long commercial...

An infomercial... winking smiley

Date: April 6, 2014 01:41

CBII
stonehearted
If you'll notice, stage-wise, he became more of a forceful presence on stage beginning with Hyde Park, when for the first time the spotlight became him and Mick, rather than in previous years when all the attention went to Mick and Brian. With Brian out of the picture and Mick Taylor standing stock still, Keith was free to fill that void.

Good observation. Although Keith wasn't exactly stone faced as Bill Wyman prior to Brain's death the focus definitely became much sharper.

I think his role on stage expanded in tandem with his increasingly more dominant musical input on the songs.

Date: April 6, 2014 01:48

From4tilLate
I think the main thing about Keith is that when he became an incorrigible drunk around 1980, he developed (or revealed) a MASSIVE ego. He likes to give Jagger down the road about ego and it's utterly hypocritical of him to call ANYBODY else an egotist. From all the interviews we've seen and read since he crawled into a bottle, he has an ego and a sense of self-importance that DWARFS Jagger's. I disagree about his "maturing." One read-through of 'Life" is all the evidence you need to see that the man hasn't matured a lick since the Stones hit it big in 1964.He's a 70-year-old adolescent and I don't find it attractive. The junked-out Keith was cool, as was the Big Four era Keith before that. He was the strong silent type. Almost humble.That guy died a long time ago.It's not cool to run down your band mates in print. It's not cool to play up your role as the creative engine in the Stones when we've learned just in the past few years that he was hardly that at all. It's not cool to rip off tens of thousands of paying customers when he was too f**ked up to play well. I love the man for the great music he made consistently in the golden era, but the guy who wrote 'Life' is too often just a plain old jerk. Some of you will think I'm being too hard on him, but he's been so hard on Mick and Brian (among others) for so long, that he invites a big taste of his own medicine.

Man, that's a pretty scathing assessment! Then again, the operative word in the subject line is "IMAGE".

CBII

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 6, 2014 01:58

CBII
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage
negol
I'm not just talking about the clothes, even though that is a BIG part of it, but also Keith's way of talking, ending every other sentence with ''baby'' or ''girl'', calling people ''cats'' etc., that's not very English to me. And not very Connecticut, either (right?)

I think "cats" is English sixties slang. All this "baby-talk" is basically very stupid but it has always been a part of rock and pop lyrics.

Cats is old american jazz player-slang, from what I understand. ..

Exactly DandelionPowderman! Terms like those pre-date the sixties by an easy 30 years. The big band era or Cab Calloway, Duke Ellington and the like had a vernacular laced with words and phrases of that sort.

Sure, that's right. I have already acknowledged that. But Keith didn't pick up the word in the thirties of course. I wonder whether he picked it up in London or later in the states.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: April 6, 2014 02:39

I am fine with 'cats' and 'baby' and even 'chicks' but someone who calls women BITCHES deserves to be shown THE BLADE.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 6, 2014 02:46

It's amazing to me how folks can psychoanalyze a man they don't know. As CBII points out, the operative word is "image"--that we can all have an informed opinion on, because it refers to Keith as he appears to us. Keith as he actually IS, hardly any of us knows (acknowledging that there are some members here who know him personally).

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: April 6, 2014 05:47

To digress: the Alexis Korner comparison makes me think of Jim Morrison and this bit from Andy Warhol's book POPISM: "In November the Doors came to New York for the first time and they played at Ondine. When we walked in, Gerard [Malanga] took one look at Jim Morrison in leather pants just like his and he flipped. `He stole my look!' he screamed, outraged. It was true enough—Jim had, I guess, picked it up from seeing Gerard at the Trip." p. 189. And, "the more famous Jim Morrison got, the more cheated Gerard felt." p.228

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: April 6, 2014 07:13

CBII
From4tilLate

Man, that's a pretty scathing assessment! Then again, the operative word in the subject line is "IMAGE".

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: April 6, 2014 07:20

CBII
From4tilLate

Damn straight it's a scathing assessment. And in my humble opinion Keith deserves it. Image? Being a jerk is an "image?" Not to me; it's being an ass. And hey, so I'm scathing? What does Keith care? I'm a nobody on a message board and he's a drunk pothead in a limousine. He can take it.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1427
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home