Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: The Keith Richards image
Posted by: EJM ()
Date: April 6, 2014 09:25

He could still be cool in the 1980s drink or no drink

[mediacentre.kallaway.co.uk]

This is my favorite image from that time drawn by Ron and Keith together

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 6, 2014 09:29

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-06 10:04 by Aquamarine.

Date: April 6, 2014 10:04

EJM
He could still be cool in the 1980s drink or no drink

[mediacentre.kallaway.co.uk]

This is my favorite image from that time drawn by Ron and Keith together

And he does look remarkably like Alexis Korner there!

(Glad we've moved on to a new page and away from the vitriol.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-06 10:05 by Aquamarine.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 6, 2014 11:09

From4tilLate
CBII
From4tilLate
I think the main thing about Keith is that when he became an incorrigible drunk around 1980, he developed (or revealed) a MASSIVE ego. He likes to give Jagger down the road about ego and it's utterly hypocritical of him to call ANYBODY else an egotist. From all the interviews we've seen and read since he crawled into a bottle, he has an ego and a sense of self-importance that DWARFS Jagger's. I disagree about his "maturing." One read-through of 'Life" is all the evidence you need to see that the man hasn't matured a lick since the Stones hit it big in 1964.He's a 70-year-old adolescent and I don't find it attractive. The junked-out Keith was cool, as was the Big Four era Keith before that. He was the strong silent type. Almost humble.That guy died a long time ago.It's not cool to run down your band mates in print. It's not cool to play up your role as the creative engine in the Stones when we've learned just in the past few years that he was hardly that at all. It's not cool to rip off tens of thousands of paying customers when he was too f**ked up to play well. I love the man for the great music he made consistently in the golden era, but the guy who wrote 'Life' is too often just a plain old jerk. Some of you will think I'm being too hard on him, but he's been so hard on Mick and Brian (among others) for so long, that he invites a big taste of his own medicine.

Man, that's a pretty scathing assessment! Then again, the operative word in the subject line is "IMAGE".

Damn straight it's a scathing assessment. And in my humble opinion Keith deserves it. Image? Being a jerk is an "image?" Not to me; it's being an ass. And hey, so I'm scathing? What does Keith care? I'm a nobody on a message board and he's a drunk pothead in a limousine. He can take it.

You're right and I agree but you're probably being reported by some fellow iorrians right now. And hopefully Im not reported for saying that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-06 11:09 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: April 6, 2014 11:15

Well, neither of you will be reported by me.

(Though I assume you quoted the vitriol for the sole purpose of dragging it onto a new page. eye rolling smiley )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-06 11:16 by Aquamarine.

Date: April 6, 2014 11:31

No Aquamarine that was not the reason, the reason was that I agreed with what your and mine fellow iorrian From4tilLate wrote in his/her post. That's all.

About his image: spot on about Alexis. I imagine Brian was inspired but he had his own very unique way of speaking, he had the original Stones image from the start, the lifestyle, the drive, the attitude. Since he crashed in Alexis corner (sorry) in London he probably was insipred by Korner. Keith seems to have copied Korner more or less and he didnt really have an image those first years. Still he clearly was inspired by Brian and Anita, the cool globetrotter with a high smile and dominating look in the eye behing a curtain of hair.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 6, 2014 13:20

I like his 1966 - 1967 experimental pop star image. Keith and Brian at Ready Steady Go in October 1966 image wise is just a whole lot of aceness for me. cool smiley

Posted by: negol ()
Date: April 6, 2014 14:27

video: [www.youtube.com] from about 10:58 in, they got the Keith Richards swagger down perfectly. Aaaeeewh..

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 6, 2014 15:58

I think if you dig deep enough, you would find that they were all inspired in some way, including Brian and Anita, from the people they came into contact with or a public figure they admired. That's the way it is with everyone, nothing happens in a vacuum.

What originially inspired Keith's look, persona, image, whatever you want to call it, is interesting to talk about, but ultimately it doesn't matter. He became the one and only Keith Richards, a template for countless real and wannabe rock stars and just ordinary kids who wanted just a glimmer of that kind of cool. Keith himself has said that it wasn't completely authentic, but so what. Everyone has their private and public face, it's just more extreme if you're famous.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: April 6, 2014 16:30

His Majesty
I like his 1966 - 1967 experimental pop star image. Keith and Brian at Ready Steady Go in October 1966 image wise is just a whole lot of aceness for me. cool smiley

Date: April 6, 2014 18:44

www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5ANjb-yAVE

So what about the keith of around 2006 playing The blues ?

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: April 6, 2014 21:15

EJM

Playing stuff like this is what reveals who a person really is. Keith sitting down and playing a blues number like this is proof positiive their's the "IMAGE" and then there's the man. Here's another example of how a persons "IMAGE" is in direct contradiction with reality.

CBII

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: April 6, 2014 21:30

CBII
EJM

Playing stuff like this is what reveals who a person really is. Keith sitting down and playing a blues number like this is proof positiive their's the "IMAGE" and then there's the man. Here's another example of how a persons "IMAGE" is in direct contradiction with reality.

thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-06 21:31 by Harm.

Date: April 7, 2014 03:06

Redhotcarpet
No Aquamarine that was not the reason, the reason was that I agreed with what your and mine fellow iorrian From4tilLate wrote in his/her post. That's all.

My apologies then. I guess that having just said I was glad it was gone, I was somewhat depressed to see it pop up again in the very next post! winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-07 03:10 by Aquamarine.

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: April 7, 2014 07:04

Well, I haven't been kicked off IORR (yet). And if somebody reports me, so be it. I didn't say anything I regret. And Keith Richards couldn't give a rat's patoot what I ever have to say about him anyway anyhow anywhere.

Date: April 7, 2014 11:51

Date: April 7, 2014 12:13

Date: April 7, 2014 12:15

Date: April 7, 2014 14:29

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 7, 2014 23:17

From4tilLate
I think the main thing about Keith is that when he became an incorrigible drunk around 1980, he developed (or revealed) a MASSIVE ego. He likes to give Jagger down the road about ego and it's utterly hypocritical of him to call ANYBODY else an egotist. From all the interviews we've seen and read since he crawled into a bottle, he has an ego and a sense of self-importance that DWARFS Jagger's. I disagree about his "maturing." One read-through of 'Life" is all the evidence you need to see that the man hasn't matured a lick since the Stones hit it big in 1964.He's a 70-year-old adolescent and I don't find it attractive. The junked-out Keith was cool, as was the Big Four era Keith before that. He was the strong silent type. Almost humble.That guy died a long time ago.It's not cool to run down your band mates in print. It's not cool to play up your role as the creative engine in the Stones when we've learned just in the past few years that he was hardly that at all. It's not cool to rip off tens of thousands of paying customers when he was too f**ked up to play well. I love the man for the great music he made consistently in the golden era, but the guy who wrote 'Life' is too often just a plain old jerk. Some of you will think I'm being too hard on him, but he's been so hard on Mick and Brian (among others) for so long, that he invites a big taste of his own medicine.

a bit harsh..and also 100% true.keith was always my favorite stone and my favorite guitar player and in alot of ways he still is.
a good portion of the music that i listen to to this day is because of things i learned from keith-raggae,blues,roots rock all stuff that he the real keith,the pre-1980 keith talked about.

i really think the drinking effected him in a really bad way.at some point he was just not the guy i grew up following.

he was always a f#ck-up who pretended the band came first and then of course ruined his relationship with brian over a girl and almost ended the band by bringing an ounce of smack into toronto but that could be put down to youth and recklessness.

the post-1980 keith was just an idiot.his playing changed,his onstage style changed,his interviews changed and none of it for the good.
i wish there was more footage of the late 60's and 70s keith onstage-he had this grace..a sort of sway where he would step back and bend his knees slightly,looking at his guitar-really concentrating.
when he talked he had that same cool-rarely lowering himself to trash-talking other people [let alone other stones]

fast forward to a guy who is onstage doing the splits,stopping playing to pose,flipping picks into the audience.keith would always say he couldnt play lead guitar-"i hold that rhythm down baby" and now he's walking around endlessly playing the same horrible leads,carrying on way too long and by the look on his face you'd think he sounded like jimmy page.

how his antics hurt the mordern day stones the most though was the jagger bashing.he probably ended the jagger/richards songwriting team right there.
in his drunken fantasy view of the world keith seemed to think mick had this"rhino skin" and in keiths mind he had to "keep mick in his place"
you could just see jaggers expression as if he were dealing with one of his children-

even if mick jagger had left the stones forever and began playing the stones catalogue with other players how would bashing him at every turn help put the band back together or help them write great songs again?
and it became like a bizarre obsession,on and on for years,the knighthood,the solo records,his friends,his attitude.at some point if you hate the dude that bad just leave..go back to playing with the winos.
a million times im left wondering "what in the hell are you doing man"-it was like that old beatles rumor that paul had died and they replaced him with someone else,i was starting to think that about keith.

Date: April 7, 2014 23:42

His playing didn't change in the 80s, it changed in the late 90s.

You're assuming that Keith never had a reason for any statement he gave. That's a bit naive in my book.

Of course he has said a lot of stupid things, I'm not disaggreing with that, but you simply don't know all the reasons for this, and it is a bit foolish coming down this hard, imo.

BTW, he was dissing both Creedence and The Band as early as in 1969...

Date: April 7, 2014 23:45

lem motlow
From4tilLate

a bit harsh..and also 100% true.keith was always my favorite stone and my favorite guitar player and in alot of ways he still is.
a good portion of the music that i listen to to this day is because of things i learned from keith-raggae,blues,roots rock all stuff that he the real keith,the pre-1980 keith talked about.

i really think the drinking effected him in a really bad way.at some point he was just not the guy i grew up following.

he was always a f#ck-up who pretended the band came first and then of course ruined his relationship with brian over a girl and almost ended the band by bringing an ounce of smack into toronto but that could be put down to youth and recklessness.

the post-1980 keith was just an idiot.his playing changed,his onstage style changed,his interviews changed and none of it for the good.
i wish there was more footage of the late 60's and 70s keith onstage-he had this grace..a sort of sway where he would step back and bend his knees slightly,looking at his guitar-really concentrating.
when he talked he had that same cool-rarely lowering himself to trash-talking other people [let alone other stones]

fast forward to a guy who is onstage doing the splits,stopping playing to pose,flipping picks into the audience.keith would always say he couldnt play lead guitar-"i hold that rhythm down baby" and now he's walking around endlessly playing the same horrible leads,carrying on way too long and by the look on his face you'd think he sounded like jimmy page.

how his antics hurt the mordern day stones the most though was the jagger bashing.he probably ended the jagger/richards songwriting team right there.
in his drunken fantasy view of the world keith seemed to think mick had this"rhino skin" and in keiths mind he had to "keep mick in his place"
you could just see jaggers expression as if he were dealing with one of his children-

even if mick jagger had left the stones forever and began playing the stones catalogue with other players how would bashing him at every turn help put the band back together or help them write great songs again?
and it became like a bizarre obsession,on and on for years,the knighthood,the solo records,his friends,his attitude.at some point if you hate the dude that bad just leave..go back to playing with the winos.
a million times im left wondering "what in the hell are you doing man"-it was like that old beatles rumor that paul had died and they replaced him with someone else,i was starting to think that about keith.

thumbs up You said it.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 7, 2014 23:54

I have always had the notion that Keith was the one wanting to keep the band together while Mick was looking for opportunities to make it on his own. And that that was the source for the animosity and separation.

Date: April 8, 2014 00:09

Stoneage
I have always had the notion that Keith was the one wanting to keep the band together while Mick was looking for opportunities to make it on his own. And that that was the source for the animosity and separation.

And that is all we have quotes from. The rest is merely speculation and maybe wishful thinking on some posters' part...

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 8, 2014 00:38

Stoneage

alot of people "have that notion"-because keith told them for years that was the case every chance he had.
its not the army-if jagger wanted to leave he wouldve just left.anyone who thinks mick couldnt find better guitar players to recreate the stones music than ron wood and keith richards is living in a fantasy world.
he kept the band sounding good in spite of them by covering it up with horns,keyboards and back-up singers.
could you imagine those two carrying a stadium show with just their guitars?

the stones are jaggers baby-he plans the tours,works out the logistics,works out the bands fee,and with charlie helps design the bands stages with the production company and even approves the style and design of the t-shirts.
he never said he was leaving the stones and never planned to,there are plenty of interviews of him over the years saying that the only reason he did solo records was because he had songs that wouldnt work with the stones.

thats why its such a cheap shot to go after jaggers solo stuff-he did it with one hand tied behind his back.he put everything he knew aside[the stones stuff]and went in a complete other direction. the one time he even made it close to stonesy we got wandering spirit.
maybe if mick jagger wouldve acted like a fool and said he was gonna stab keith for the new barbarians tour and accuse him of "trying to leave the stones to go solo" the fans wouldve thought he was the hardcore heart and soul of the band.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 8, 2014 00:57

Yes, Lem. I guess there are always two sides of the story...

Date: April 8, 2014 11:07

Keith could still be cool AND play the guitar in the mid 1990s

One of my all time favourite videos is the stripped spider and the fly
Sadly I don't think we will hear them play it again
[youtu.be]

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 8, 2014 11:20

Follower?

Date: April 8, 2014 11:32

Just a little reminder. This is Keith in 1989 - both cool and on top of his game:

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: April 8, 2014 13:49

lem motlow
From4tilLate

it's amazing how seriously people take the mick/keith thing when to anyone who knows anything about marketing, their "feud" is clearly a PR strategy more than anything else.

what is the one sure fire thing that will get rolling stones headlines around the world? another mick/keith fight.

their feud has kept the band in the news for the past 20 years. it's a PR strategy. the rolling stones are a corporation in the business of making a profit.

i thought "life" was an excellent book, one of the few rock-n-roll autobiographies where the subject spent more time talking about music than sexual conquests or lifestyles of the rich and famous.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1753
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home