Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: The vaults - and hopes for what may be released
Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: April 2, 2014 03:59

big4
Whatever they reportedly recorded with Denny Saber in 2002.

That's what I was discussing above. Those session tapes seem to have been folded into the Forty Licks sessions as they include basic tracks of some of the same songs.

Date: April 2, 2014 14:08

A "Voodoo Lounge, part II" would be much appreciated - regarding all the great tracks they had (more or less) ready apart from the vocals.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 2, 2014 14:33

El Mocambo & GHS, Black and blue and Undercover outs...........esp the 12 min version of Hey Negrita ..(In decent quality)

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 2, 2014 14:44

The most interesting choice for me would be a 1971 show, as long as it's not the disappointing Marquee Club or Leeds concert and El Mocambo 1977.

Posted by: deeppurple ()
Date: April 2, 2014 15:38

Gazza, I think you are missing the point. No 'barrel scrapping' but some quality outtakes that could still be used. Maybe there are not any. Sure I would love for them to go in the studio for a new album. But at this point I really do not see that happening. A REAL Rarities album. I would think there are a few songs still in the vaults. We would never have had 'Start me up' if someone had not dug around. I know it was fairly fresh when found. As I mention look at the latest Van Halen album. Critics seem to love it. There best in years. Some of the songs were 30 years old. Who is Michael Jackson? winking smiley Oh well. I am contend with the volume of work we do have. At least they are back on the road but they are not getting any younger. Hoping for a show here in the SE part of the states when they play South America. Plus, thanks for your input.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-02 15:43 by deeppurple.

Date: April 2, 2014 15:41

TeddyB1018,
Thanks for the info. Where can I fine theses songs? Have you heard the one called '180'?

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: April 2, 2014 19:29

Would love to see a DVD from the 1973 tour. <<drools uncontrollably>>

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: April 2, 2014 19:54

varilla
The 100 club shows, specially Stu´s, that would be the one

Also, this would be the Stones should do a roots/cover versions/Blues album.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 2, 2014 20:01

RoughJusticeOnYa
my 'Royal Flush':

Crawdaddy club 63

Yes! smileys with beer

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: April 2, 2014 20:18

deeppurple
Chuck Leavell has said more than once that better songs were record.

Not sure I'd accept Chuck's opinion lol

Date: April 2, 2014 20:53

I think there are still some unheard gems in the vault. But after the horrible editing on Licks Live and the liner notes for Rarities not sure if we will ever get the chance to hear them. But after the Deluxe editions and the live shows we got from them over the last few years guess we should not complain too much. Chuck may not be everyone favorite but he has done a lot to keep the Stones going. Plus, if Stu picked him that's good enough for me. Personally, I wish Mac had stayed. But you can't change anything can you?

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 2, 2014 21:15

how about a dvd of brussels

Date: April 2, 2014 23:00

deeppurple
TeddyB1018,
Thanks for the info. Where can I fine theses songs? Have you heard the one called '180'?

I don't know where they can be found. A friend played them to me who is unfortunately no longer with us. I have not heard "180."

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 3, 2014 04:36

At this point I'd be happy with official releases of unfinished songs just for the sound quality, like the good leftovers from the Some Girls sessions that they somehow, incredibly, did not do anything with for that extra disc full of crap with 3 exceptions. To have nice sonic releases of Misty Roads and Fiji Jim and all the others from whatever albums as well, well, that would be just fine with me.

And unedited and no fade out versions of songs they hacked, like Emotional Rescue, Everything Is Turning To Gold, Miss You, Crazy Mama, Slave etc whatever.

Date: April 3, 2014 19:53

Thanks, TeddyB1018. Sorry about your friend.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 3, 2014 23:56

deeppurple
Gazza, I think you are missing the point. No 'barrel scrapping' but some quality outtakes that could still be used. Maybe there are not any. Sure I would love for them to go in the studio for a new album. But at this point I really do not see that happening. A REAL Rarities album. I would think there are a few songs still in the vaults. We would never have had 'Start me up' if someone had not dug around. I know it was fairly fresh when found. As I mention look at the latest Van Halen album. Critics seem to love it. There best in years. Some of the songs were 30 years old. Who is Michael Jackson? winking smiley Oh well. I am contend with the volume of work we do have. At least they are back on the road but they are not getting any younger. Hoping for a show here in the SE part of the states when they play South America. Plus, thanks for your input.

You're welcome.

I dont think I'm missing the point, though. Start Me Up was about 5-6 years old when they touched it up. Most of the songs were fresher than that. In modern day Stones terms thats not much.

The last Stones album was recorded 9 years ago. Imagine if the Stones had dusted off 1963 demos for Tattoo You. Sounds ridiculous doesnt it? Now imagine they go into the studio next week and rework some Bridges to Babylon leftovers. Its the same time frame.

If a band with three songwriters cant find enough inspiration to put together 10-12 new compositions more than once a decade then maybe instead of digging out castoffs that pre-date the internet and passing them off as 'new' material, a more credible solution may be to admit the game's up and not bother at all.

Michael Jackson? Not my taste but one of the three biggest selling artists in history. He also happens to be dead, so he has a good excuse for not being able to record new material. Thankfully, the Stones don't have that ultimate excuse.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: April 4, 2014 03:38

Gazza
deeppurple

You're welcome.

I dont think I'm missing the point, though. Start Me Up was about 5-6 years old when they touched it up. Most of the songs were fresher than that. In modern day Stones terms thats not much.

The last Stones album was recorded 9 years ago. Imagine if the Stones had dusted off 1963 demos for Tattoo You. Sounds ridiculous doesnt it? Now imagine they go into the studio next week and rework some Bridges to Babylon leftovers. Its the same time frame.

If a band with three songwriters cant find enough inspiration to put together 10-12 new compositions more than once a decade then maybe instead of digging out castoffs that pre-date the internet and passing them off as 'new' material, a more credible solution may be to admit the game's up and not bother at all.

Michael Jackson? Not my taste but one of the three biggest selling artists in history. He also happens to be dead, so he has a good excuse for not being able to record new material. Thankfully, the Stones don't have that ultimate excuse.

The game has been up for a long time Gazza. Mick and Keef are in different worlds musically at this point in their lives and they seem happy to cash in living off the past. The fans don't seem to mind as they gobble up overpriced tickets so at their age where is the incentive to put out another Stones album nobody is going to want to hear them play live?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-04 03:39 by oldschool.

Date: April 4, 2014 08:10

deeppurple
Thanks, TeddyB1018. Sorry about your friend.

Thanks. He was a good friend of the Stones camp too.

Date: April 4, 2014 17:20

Gazza, I thank you for responding to my question. At this point I think we both can agree to disagreed. The Michael Jackson question was tongue in cheek, hence the wink. My point was that over the past few years a few songs are languishing in the vaults that could easily be rework for a album. SMU could not have been record in '63. They were not that far along in finding their selves yet. If it had never been rediscover for TY and found today and released most of us would be praising them for returning to their roots. I sure you disagreed. No matter. I would just like to see a true rarities album. They have as of yet to release 'Fiji Gin' among many Plenty for us still to enjoy. Hope you are able to get tickets for Berlin.

Date: April 4, 2014 18:25

oldschool
The game has been up for a long time Gazza. Mick and Keef are in different worlds musically at this point in their lives and they seem happy to cash in living off the past. The fans don't seem to mind as they gobble up overpriced tickets so at their age where is the incentive to put out another Stones album nobody is going to want to hear them play live?

Exactly. I've given up on them being motivated enough to record anything new beyond the occasional filler for whatever this decade's compilation may be (although 'Doom & Gloom' was bloody good) or Mick penning contemporary lyrics to old backing tracks which can be released (sometimes with a bit of artistic licence and downright revisionism as to the period of origin of the original track) for some deluxe reissue. I think thats the best we're gonna get. A pity as I still maintain that they have some good new music in them if they genuinely wanted to make it - and making new music can be done without having to barrel scrape demos that are older than most of Keith's wrinkles.

Date: April 4, 2014 22:11

Guys, at this point I really cannot blame them for resting on their laurels. They have earned it. Would a new album even sell? How may Radio stations would play any songs from it? I really cannot remember the last guitar driven hit in the charts here in the states. We, the fans would buy it. When 40 Licks came out they had at one point considered a new album but agreed a greatest hits would sell better. Smart move. We will never again see the days when they released a new album like Some girls and played 8 of 10 songs most nights. The average fans wants the hits. But, I too, think they still have it in them. Dylan has put out some of his best work over the last few years. In fact, 5 great albums since '97.

Date: April 6, 2014 19:37

deeppurple
SMU could not have been record in '63. They were not that far along in finding their selves yet. If it had never been rediscover for TY and found today and released most of us would be praising them for returning to their roots.

You've mashed up what Gazza said. Start Me Up was first started in 1975 and the TY version is from 1977 - not 1963. The point being that had they found unfinished songs as earlier as 1963 and using those for TY is (almost) equivalent to using something from the 1997 sessions for a new LP now (the almost being the sound quality would be considerably different).

Of course, that was only TWO LPs ago...

Another thing to consider is in 1977-78 they were prolific with some very good things recorded (some of which have not been released yet). It's probably not a stretch to say that in 1997 they weren't prolific and they didn't leave some good things unfinished.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: April 6, 2014 20:17

I still think it's crime Fiji Jim was left off SG

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: April 6, 2014 21:05

something from 1970 tour and 1971.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: April 6, 2014 21:23

How about a 45 with JJF/Satisfaction from Pollwinners' 68?

I'd also love:

rumored 19 min version of Just Wanna See His Face and an Exile sessions box much like the Miles Davis boxes for Jack Johnson, Silent Way, and Bitches Brew
1971 Liverpool or Newcastle
Nicaraguan Benefit 73
El MOcambo (both & all)
remaining R&R Circus trax
1981 Sir Morgan's Cove
1969 Saville
1969 Lyceum

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Date: April 6, 2014 21:36

GOO

Maybe they never finished it?

Apart from maybe "Lies", I cant think what song a polished up version of "Fiji Jim" would have been an improvement on to the extent where it would have pushed it off the album.

"Everything is Turning to Gold" however, had it been included, would easily have been one of the best 4-5 songs on the album. Deserved a much better fate than to be buried away on the b-side of a mediocre-charting US only single.

Posted by: Kuntaman ()
Date: April 6, 2014 22:16

I want the Copenhagen concert from 1995! I was there, Jesus Christ, what a sound and they were better than ever!

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: April 6, 2014 22:26

Releasing the outtakes as is. Untouched. Maybe a new mix, as that is neccesary. One disc with modern day overdubs and multi disc sets for the fans untouched. Oh.. and good mastering. Not overcompressed and loud. No need for that with archive material. In fact no need at all. Yes the 19 minutes jam I Just Wanna See His Face compleet, no edits, Red House, and on and on.

Complete multitrack shows from the archive. For example New York 1969 (on vinyl and on cd)

I'm dreaming, but these are the things I want to see.

Oh and Goat'sHead Suop : The Jimmy Miller produced tracks. As I guess some were mixed by him, and are in the vaults, but that is guessing.

But I'm happy with what we can get.

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: April 7, 2014 02:05

Yeah there's some good unedited gear still around. The acoustic version of All Down The Line for example is awesome. Easy to hear Mick working on the melody and all those half arse words. Never know why it didn't make it onto Exile Deluxe. Especially given they added Keith's mumblings to the backing track Soul Survivor make the the track unlistenable.

Date: April 7, 2014 04:01

GOO

Yet alone the extra SG disc!

Misty Roads and Not The Way To Go are two other ones. Beyond amazing they didn't release those in some form - unfinished or not - for the SG disc. I Need You and Munich Hilton...

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1331
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home