Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: The vaults - and hopes for what may be released
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 7, 2014 04:02

Gazza
GOO
I still think it's crime Fiji Jim was left off SG

Maybe they never finished it?

Apart from maybe "Lies", I cant think what song a polished up version of "Fiji Jim" would have been an improvement on to the extent where it would have pushed it off the album.

"Everything is Turning to Gold" however, had it been included, would easily have been one of the best 4-5 songs on the album. Deserved a much better fate than to be buried away on the b-side of a mediocre-charting US only single.

Respectable. Worst song on the LP.

Fortunately EITTGold is on Sucking In The Seventies!

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: April 8, 2014 01:37

Love "Lies" and like "Respectable". I would have ditched BTMMR whether there was something to replace it or not.

Concerning the vaults I would love to see an outdoor show on DVD from the SG tour.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 8, 2014 02:21

OzHeavyThrobber
Yeah there's some good unedited gear still around. The acoustic version of All Down The Line for example is awesome. Easy to hear Mick working on the melody and all those half arse words. Never know why it didn't make it onto Exile Deluxe. Especially given they added Keith's mumblings to the backing track Soul Survivor make the the track unlistenable.

There appears to be some kind of contractual agreement that Keith has to get a lead vocal on every 'new' release, which has meant that fulfilling it has a priority on these archive releases ahead of such things as quality control and historical accuracy.

There are no known leftover songs with Keith on vocals from the Exile or Some Girls sessions, which is why on the Exile deluxe CD you have him reciting nonsensical lyrics over the same backing track of 'Soul Survivor' that was used on the original release and an 'Emotional Rescue' outtake of 'We Had It All' appearing on the 'Some Girls' bonus disc.

Aside from the new vocals and other overdubs, some of the recordings released on those bonus discs werent even taken from the sessions for the album in question. 'Tallahassee Lassie' and 'We Had It All' come from LA september 78 and Paris summer 79 respectively. 'Not The Way to Go' (mentioned above) would have been another one in that vein, had they chose to release it.

Agree that 'Misty Roads' and 'Fiji Jim' should have been on that disc, in terms of quality and accuracy. Wouldnt have taken much to have polished those up, I'm sure. I'd personally love to hear a finished take of 'Its a Lie'. That harp playing by Sugar Blue deserved to appear on a released song.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Date: April 8, 2014 02:22

GasLightStreet
Gazza
GOO

Apart from maybe "Lies", I cant think what song a polished up version of "Fiji Jim" would have been an improvement on to the extent where it would have pushed it off the album.

"Everything is Turning to Gold" however, had it been included, would easily have been one of the best 4-5 songs on the album. Deserved a much better fate than to be buried away on the b-side of a mediocre-charting US only single.

Respectable. Worst song on the LP.

Fortunately EITTGold is on Sucking In The Seventies!

I know, but it deserved to be on a 10-million selling studio album instead!

Date: April 8, 2014 13:20

"which has meant that fulfilling it has a priority on these archive releases ahead of such things as quality control and historical accuracy."

if what you say is correct Gazza then I agree. Keith just completely butchered a song that to my ears was already perfect. Hearing him mumbling/humming a melody line in progress while writing the riff and chord structure would have been interesting (well to ppl like us I guess) but the exercise in dribbling complete toss to a completed backing track is so far past ridiculous he couldn't catch a plane but to ridiculous.

They should have had him just introducing the acoustic version of ADTL and perhaps that would have fulfilled this pathetic contract. It's as equally pathetic as in being apparently in a contract that he perform two songs each gig minus Mick.

Anyways I'm off topic and babbling.

Date: April 8, 2014 14:38

Its the only logical reason for its inclusion ahead of stuff like 'Hillside Blues' or whatever good alternative versions there are of other songs (I dont think there were many unreleased songs from these sessions as a) its a double album, b) half the songs were already leftovers from previous sessions and c) most of the finished vocals were done at the end of the session, so why would they need to finish much more than 18 songs?)

but hey, there are people who actually think that its the best song on the bonus CD.. drinking smiley

Date: April 8, 2014 14:55

I think the only good outtake-version on the Exile Deluxe release was the the spliced take of Loving Cup. That was excellent.

Good Time Women doesn't even sound like the Stones. Soul Survivor is just Keith-mumbling. I'm not crazy about the acoustic ADTL, either.

Well, we all have different taste smiling smiley

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: April 8, 2014 15:48

Gazza
Its the only logical reason for its inclusion ahead of stuff like 'Hillside Blues' or whatever good alternative versions there are of other songs (I dont think there were many unreleased songs from these sessions as a) its a double album, b) half the songs were already leftovers from previous sessions and c) most of the finished vocals were done at the end of the session, so why would they need to finish much more than 18 songs?)

but hey, there are people who actually think that its the best song on the bonus CD.. drinking smiley

...Exactly. And: it IS. By far. drinking smiley

Date: April 8, 2014 19:32

RoughJusticeOnYa
Gazza

...Exactly. And: it IS. By far. drinking smiley

Your arse! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 8, 2014 23:33

1. Not the way to go
2. Dancing Girl
3. Separately
4. It's all wrong
5. Fast Talking Slow Walking
6. I need you
7. Misty Roads
8. Fiji Jim
9. She never listen to me
10. Chainsaw Rocker
11. What gives you the right?
12. You got it made
13. Lonely at the top
14. Living in the heart of love
15. Save Me
16. Randy Whore
17. Gangster Moll
18. Jah is not dead
19. Guess i should know
20. It's cold down there
21. High or Low
22. Smooth 180
23. What Am I Going To Do (With Your Love)
24. Ever-changing world
25. Dont Apologize
26. Young Love
27. Feeling now
28. Travellin' man

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: April 9, 2014 00:18

AN OFFICIAL BRUSSELS AFFAIR THAT YOU CAN HOLD IN YOUR HAND AND NOT HAVE TO TAKE OUT A SECOND MORTGAGE!!!

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: April 9, 2014 00:41

shadooby
AN OFFICIAL BRUSSELS AFFAIR THAT YOU CAN HOLD IN YOUR HAND AND NOT HAVE TO TAKE OUT A SECOND MORTGAGE!!!

Yes. Top priority.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: April 9, 2014 05:29

how about the whole Aragon 2002?

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: April 9, 2014 08:25

Gazza
GOO

They finished it, Gazza, they really did. I recall an interview with Chris Kimsey from the early 90s (Guitar Player magazine ?) where he mentioned that he was instructed to go through the vaults and find some suitable tracks that could be used for future single b-sides. The tracks he mentioned were Drift Away, We Had It All, Let's Go Steady, So Young, Fiji Jim and Shame Shame Shame. According to Kimsey the task was to find tracks that were finished or at least near-finished, meaning that they should not require "all too much work to actually finish them". He also mentioned that Jagger had to come up with final lyrics for So Young and Fiji Jim and record new vocals tracks for the last three of the mentioned tracks.

Kimsey stated that all these tracks sounded really good, "definitely not sub-par" and that he was a bit disappointed to see only So Young getting officially released (as a B-side track of the Love Is Strong single release).

If I take his words for granted, all 6 tracks were readied for release in the early 90s, and that includes, of course, Fiji Jim.

This in mind, the tracklist for Some Girls Deluxe left me somewhat disappointed that Fiji Jim (one of my favourite Stones outtakes) and Jimmy Reed's Shame,Shame, Shame (also from the SG sessions) were not included when at the same time, they obviously felt the need to re-work So Young once again (they did not use the 90's version/mix) and that even Everything's Turning To Gold could not find a new and well-deserved home on the SG bonus disc.

But of course it's possible that they decided to save tracks like ETTG, Fiji Jim, Misty Roads, I Need You,Not The Way To Go, Shame Shame Shame for a future Some Girls Super Deluxe project.

Regardless, with these Deluxe Editions I get the impression that they chose to give us something, but not everything. But something is better than nothing, right?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-09 16:58 by alimente.

Shows you would like to be officially released?
Posted by: eduardoacdc ()
Date: April 11, 2014 19:47

There are lots of great shows that hasn't been officially released (yet?). Which ones would you like to be completely released? (like a stones archive release)

Here is my top 5:

Los Angeles 1973
Altamont 1969
Knebworth 1976
Mocambo 1977
Vancouver 1972

Re: Shows you would like to be officially released?
Date: April 11, 2014 19:59

Honolulu 66
Paris 67
Newcastle 71
Mobile 72
El Mocambo 77
Detroit 78
Philly 99
Cirkus Stockholm 03

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-11 20:00 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 11, 2014 20:05

Paradiso, Olympia and Brixton from 1995 on DVD .....

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: April 11, 2014 20:25

Hey cool! Another duplicate thread! The "The vaults - and hopes for what may be released" thread just wasn't specific enough was it? Seriously though, page 3 is a long way to look for a thread to post in. eye rolling smiley

Soon to come... The Prefect Merge...

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 11, 2014 21:32

NME 1968 in full stereo and Super HD...................

Posted by: eduardoacdc ()
Date: April 11, 2014 21:39

Ups... I'm sorry. I hadn't seen that one before. I'll be carefull next time.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: April 11, 2014 22:13

No Worries eduardoacdc... Although I WAS trying to keep this conversation in one place on this site, I really didn't expect an apology from you and, upon reflection, didn't mean to come down on you personally quite as hard as I did in my original post. Hopefully there won't be any hard fellings moving forward.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 11, 2014 23:43

eduardoacdc

Here is my top 5:

Los Angeles 1973
Altamont 1969
Knebworth 1976
Mocambo 1977
Vancouver 1972

All these gigs suck in one way or another...

Los Angeles 1973 - they were rusted, just listen to the 1st few numbers, ouch!
Altamont 1969 - they'd rather never hear that show again.
Knebworth 1976 - another semi-disaster and a very weak perf even by 76 standards
Mocambo 1977 - there's a ton of rubbish there among a few gems
Vancouver 1972 - another weak show but not as weak as Seattle which was terrible!

Date: April 12, 2014 02:46

Don't sweat it eduardoacdc you're hear to enjoy yourself and talk Stones stuff which is all you were doing. I like your list btw. Especially if they ever appeared on dvd smoking smiley

Date: April 12, 2014 02:57

alimente
Gazza
GOO

They finished it, Gazza, they really did. I recall an interview with Chris Kimsey from the early 90s (Guitar Player magazine ?) where he mentioned that he was instructed to go through the vaults and find some suitable tracks that could be used for future single b-sides. The tracks he mentioned were Drift Away, We Had It All, Let's Go Steady, So Young, Fiji Jim and Shame Shame Shame. According to Kimsey the task was to find tracks that were finished or at least near-finished, meaning that they should not require "all too much work to actually finish them". He also mentioned that Jagger had to come up with final lyrics for So Young and Fiji Jim and record new vocals tracks for the last three of the mentioned tracks.

Kimsey stated that all these tracks sounded really good, "definitely not sub-par" and that he was a bit disappointed to see only So Young getting officially released (as a B-side track of the Love Is Strong single release).

If I take his words for granted, all 6 tracks were readied for release in the early 90s, and that includes, of course, Fiji Jim.

This in mind, the tracklist for Some Girls Deluxe left me somewhat disappointed that Fiji Jim (one of my favourite Stones outtakes) and Jimmy Reed's Shame,Shame, Shame (also from the SG sessions) were not included when at the same time, they obviously felt the need to re-work So Young once again (they did not use the 90's version/mix) and that even Everything's Turning To Gold could not find a new and well-deserved home on the SG bonus disc.

But of course it's possible that they decided to save tracks like ETTG, Fiji Jim, Misty Roads, I Need You,Not The Way To Go, Shame Shame Shame for a future Some Girls Super Deluxe project.

Regardless, with these Deluxe Editions I get the impression that they chose to give us something, but not everything. But something is better than nothing, right?

Now you mention that, I remember this. I think it was done around the time of Voodoo Lounge. Yep, in that case - release the buggers.

Posted by: deeppurple ()
Date: April 12, 2014 13:03

Release them indeed. The Stones will never dig through the vaults. Find someone like Chris Kimsey to do it. From '68-'12. Plenty of material. We would never have had 'Start me up' if this had not been undertaking before. 'Tattoo you' would never have been release in it's present form. The Stones do not seem interested in certain releases. 'Live Licks' and 'Rarities' come to mind. Horrible editing and incorrect liner notes.

Date: April 12, 2014 13:27

A show from the 70's tour. Possibly with film.
And any outtakes that I have not heard yet. There is nothing better than good outtakes. I LOVED the Steel Wheels outtakes. Because up till them I had hated the album

Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: April 12, 2014 14:45

Irix
Paradiso, Olympia and Brixton from 1995 on DVD .....

Those shows have my vote also!

Maybe also a complete release of clubshow from 2003 the Circus Stockholm of Vredenburg Utrecht show.

Or a boxset with demo´s and outtakes which have never seen the light of day maybe in chronologic apperaence,

cd 1: The Sixties
cd 2: The Seventies
cd 3: The Eighties
cd 4: The Nineties
cd 5: The Zeroes till present

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 20, 2016 07:59

deeppurple
I wish they would release the rest of the songs recorded during the '40 Licks' sessions. Chuck Leavell has mention the songs were among some of the best. He loved the one Keith recorded. Called '180' as in a 180. I think that's the title. He mention they plan to release them at some point and time. It's been 10 years. Remember what John Paul Jones said about 5 years being 5 minutes in Zeppelin time. Maybe this is 10 minutes, Stones time.

"Richards suggests that at least some of the songs might be unfinished compositions that date back 15 years or more"

...maybe this is the right time!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-20 08:05 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: November 20, 2016 11:09

In order of importance (to me):

Sticky Fingers Live - Fonda Theatre (prefereably as a DVD/Blu-Ray)

Mocambo '77

...In fact, that's about it. They released almost everything I had been waiting for, these past couple of years. smoking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 20, 2016 11:27

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2056
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home