Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 40th Anniversary Of Bill's Wyman's Monkey Grip
Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: March 17, 2014 00:48

Back in the early 2000s in one day I purchased every solo album by all Stones members. I know many of you personally and respectfully disagree on the merits of different records.. that being said, the only people who's records I kept were everything Keith has put out, Ronnie's 1234 and I've Got My Own Album To Do, and Jagger's Wandering Spirit.

I gave each of them complete personal listens. I really wanted to get into each one of them, but the ones I listed above were the only ones that really stuck with me.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 17, 2014 01:06

tatters
Rokyfan
I don't care enough to research this, but Ringo has had a lot of hits, the most consistent career and made a shitload of money on the road. Sounds like you know, but I would have guessed that Ringo had more no. 1's.

He had a pretty good run. Seven consecutive Top 10 singles from 1971 to 1975, but he hasn't seen the Top 30 since 1976, and many of his later releases failed to make the charts at all. Tellingly, the Apple compilation, Blast From Your Past, released in 1975, contains all of his major hits.

This was Ringo's last entry in the U.S. top 40 singles charts--and last single that ever charted in the U.S. for that matter--#38 in 1981 and written by George Harrison.

Since his UK #1 single Only You in 1974, he has appeared on the UK singles charts only once--in 1976 (#44 with A Dose of Rock n Roll).

Speaking of Harrison-penned solo Ringo songs, has anyone heard the Harrison demo of It Don't Come Easy?

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: March 17, 2014 01:15

Talkin' 'bout Wyman, IORRians end talkin' 'bout Ringo. thumbs down eye rolling smiley

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

Date: March 17, 2014 02:34

<<Hard to believe it's the same man who (or so he claims) came up with the JJF riff>>

A riff is one thing, but a completed song is another. Suppose he'd saved the "JJF riff" for himself, for a solo record. Who knows what the "JJF riff" would have become in Wyman's own hands. One thing is for sure--it wouldn't have become JJF or even anything remotely like it.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 17, 2014 02:35

dandelion1967
Talkin' 'bout Wyman, IORRians end talkin' 'bout Ringo. thumbs down eye rolling smiley

I agree, very annoying. Back to the topic at hand:

[m.youtube.com]

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 17, 2014 02:43

Yes sorry, sticking to Bill and Monkey Grip. I remember getting this album in the cutout bin at Meijers (a Michigan mainstay) for 99 cents. I was so excited! I didn't really know what to expect, and came home to listen and was profoundly befuddled and disappointed. It sounded so cheesy, sterile, and his singing...whew. I played it once and then tried again a few years later, and put it away to collect dust.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 17, 2014 02:43

Yes! This is a celebration of Bill and Monkey Grip. I think my friend and I bought the only two copies in Phoenix, AZ in 1974.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 17, 2014 02:54

He's dressed like a caveman on the cover...

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: March 17, 2014 02:58

His departure from the Stones didn't generate any interest in me for his solo stuff, so it was a while before I listened….and was not impressed. With the Stones, he was the bassist they needed and got. Miss him. 2 songs they gave him…..not nice.

Posted by: nobs ()
Date: March 17, 2014 03:18

horrible, they should've never let this get out

Date: March 17, 2014 03:21

nobs

Oh yeah? Take a listen to this! That's quality music.

Date: March 17, 2014 03:44

Rokyfan
whitem8
Sorry tatters, but Ringo's 70's solo stuff was way better than Wyman's!

Isn't Ringo the most successful of the ex Beatles or Stones in his solo career?

That is a joke right? Paul outsold the three Beatles' post-Beatles careers COMBINED. He's the only billionaire rock and roll has ever produced.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: March 17, 2014 04:07

CanYouHearTheMusic
That is a joke right? Paul outsold the three Beatles' post-Beatles careers COMBINED. He's the only billionaire rock and roll has ever produced.
we kind of straightened this out (I was talking about hit singles, not overall business success, but this is the wrong place) and are back to Wyman's career.

I just remembered I think I have pristene copies of Si Si Je Suis un Rock Star (12 inch) and Come Back Suzanne (45 ps) packed away somewhere, never played.

Date: March 17, 2014 04:53

I recall in the 80s watching the video for A New Fashion on television with a friend and we had a good laugh over it. Bill with his flat monotone robot vocals and frozen android pose with his arms folded across his chest, just sitting there slowly revolving this way and that, just back and forth....

I now own a copy of that album (Bill Wyman, 1982) on CD, and the problem is the same with any Bill Wyman solo stuff you hear--you just forget how it goes after a short while. Though competently constructed, the songs have no chorus hook, no memorable lyrics or melody or distinguishing musical riffs. Like his "singing" voice, the songs lack a sense of character and style.

That said, he does fine in the Rhythm Kings format, surrounded by a cadre of musicians of equal caliber playing classic roots music of the type he is suited, whereas the "new wave" Bill Wyman experiment as posted above just doesn't cut it. That album is something you would play during radio station fund drives to torture listeners into phoning in donations. "Alright, we're going to hear the Bill Wyman solo album from start to finish and over and over until listeners call in with a pledge. We need $2,000 to reach our fund drive goal and operators are standing by. Here's Ride On Baby to kick things off."

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: March 17, 2014 08:52

SweetThing
Rokyfan
I thought it Don't Come Easy, Photograph and the No No Song were all top 10, and that Ringo has had a hugely successful career on the road.

McCartney: For the #1s aloneI think it was "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey", "My Love", "Band on the Run", "Live and Let Die", "Silly Love Songs" "With a Little Luck" (lol - how did that happen), "Mull of Kintyre"... then a very few after the 70s, "Ebony and Ivory", the MJ collaborations...

Lennon: "Imagine" "Whatever Gets you Through the Night"...and of course sold massively singles and album right after his murder.

Harrison: "My Sweet Lord" " "Give Me Love (Give Me Peace on Earth)" for the 70s, but later in the 80s the Cloud 9 LP and Travelling Wilburys...

And all three had lesser charting singles of course....

I believe its safe to say Ringo sold the fewest overall, and scored the fewest #1s, albums or singles...though, yes, he did/does tour successfully, has dipped in and out of his film career, (though so too, did Harrison as producer, and even McCartney marginally with concert films and such)_

McCartney charted regularly up to around 1993.

To say Ringo had a hugely successful career on the road is mis-leading. His shows are nowhere near the scale of McCartney's. They are essentially a collective of musicians with each taking a turn to sing. They are great shows but Ringo only sings for half the night.

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: March 17, 2014 09:54

Was never that impressed with his solo stuff,his output with The Rythm Kings however is very good indeed a fine collection of original and old obscure songs.
I have seen thenm a couple of times live and they are very entertaining.
Have all the albums too ,make a nice change to my usual fare of Rock & Roll

Date: March 17, 2014 10:31

71Tele
nobs

Miming in open tuning there smiling smiley

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: March 17, 2014 11:12

Rokyfan

I just remembered I think I have pristene copies of Si Si Je Suis un Rock Star (12 inch) and Come Back Suzanne (45 ps) packed away somewhere, never played.

Si Si Je Suis is an outstanding song - it harks back to Music Hall days. I've always thought that it was a very 'English' thing. Originally written for Ian Dury. I've also always thought that the other Stones must have been jealous of the fact that it got higher in the UK charts as a solo Stone than any other Stone managed.

And.... Suzanne did, of course, come back. :-)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: March 18, 2014 02:49

Don't know about that Black. Ringo I think could easily have been replaced by tons of better drummers. The band just quit playing live and never did go on the road anymore. I wonder how long those old Beatles tours were anyway and how many people actually got to see them play compared to those that have seen the Stones?

Posted by: fyp933 ()
Date: March 18, 2014 02:56

JJHMick
Any suggestions which of the Monkey Grip songs would have been chosen for It's Only Rock'n'Roll (and which one dropped)?
The Stones somehow started something like a 'Bill spot on record' like the Beatles (Ringo; and, more obvious George) and the Who (John) with In Another Land and then Downtown Suzie/Lucy for Beggars' Banquet.

Pussy could've been an IORR track

Date: March 18, 2014 03:46

DandelionPowderman
71Tele
nobs

Miming in open tuning there smiling smiley

I noticed that!

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: March 18, 2014 04:17

BlackHat
SweetThing
Rokyfan
I thought it Don't Come Easy, Photograph and the No No Song were all top 10, and that Ringo has had a hugely successful career on the road.

McCartney: For the #1s aloneI think it was "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey", "My Love", "Band on the Run", "Live and Let Die", "Silly Love Songs" "With a Little Luck" (lol - how did that happen), "Mull of Kintyre"... then a very few after the 70s, "Ebony and Ivory", the MJ collaborations...

Lennon: "Imagine" "Whatever Gets you Through the Night"...and of course sold massively singles and album right after his murder.

Harrison: "My Sweet Lord" " "Give Me Love (Give Me Peace on Earth)" for the 70s, but later in the 80s the Cloud 9 LP and Travelling Wilburys...

And all three had lesser charting singles of course....

I believe its safe to say Ringo sold the fewest overall, and scored the fewest #1s, albums or singles...though, yes, he did/does tour successfully, has dipped in and out of his film career, (though so too, did Harrison as producer, and even McCartney marginally with concert films and such)_

McCartney charted regularly up to around 1993.

To say Ringo had a hugely successful career on the road is mis-leading. His shows are nowhere near the scale of McCartney's. They are essentially a collective of musicians with each taking a turn to sing. They are great shows but Ringo only sings for half the night.

Just piss of with Macca and Ringo!!! This is a ROLLING STONES BOARD!!
Ringo this, Macca that. Enough!
You can go right there http://beatleforum.proboards.com/

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-18 04:20 by dandelion1967.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 18, 2014 15:06

flacnvinyl
Back in the early 2000s in one day I purchased every solo album by all Stones members. I know many of you personally and respectfully disagree on the merits of different records.. that being said, the only people who's records I kept were everything Keith has put out, Ronnie's 1234 and I've Got My Own Album To Do, and Jagger's Wandering Spirit.

I gave each of them complete personal listens. I really wanted to get into each one of them, but the ones I listed above were the only ones that really stuck with me.

agree with you here, and I would only add that Charlie's are a pleasure to listen to, especially the small group ones..

Date: March 18, 2014 16:45

I prefer Now Look to 1234, but that's me...

Date: March 18, 2014 17:20

DandelionPowderman

Its got more meat to it...

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 18, 2014 18:08

Munichhilton
DandelionPowderman

certainly more than Gimme Some Neckbone..

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: March 18, 2014 19:10

You know how bacon can enhance just about any dish? Same thing with go-go dancers and videos. Just sayin'

71Tele
You know him, you love him, you can't live without him. Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Bill Wyman:

Date: March 18, 2014 19:28

duke richardson
Munichhilton
DandelionPowderman

certainly more than Gimme Some Neckbone..

Yuck...that ones gutless too...

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: March 22, 2014 12:04

fyp933
JJHMick
Any suggestions which of the Monkey Grip songs would have been chosen for It's Only Rock'n'Roll (and which one dropped)?
The Stones somehow started something like a 'Bill spot on record' like the Beatles (Ringo; and, more obvious George) and the Who (John) with In Another Land and then Downtown Suzie/Lucy for Beggars' Banquet.

Pussy could've been an IORR track

Sorry for just reading this thread now again. And which one would you have dropped from IORR?

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: March 22, 2014 18:04

JJHMick

Sorry for just reading this thread now again. And which one would you have dropped from IORR?

You didn't ask me, but "Short and Curlies" is no masterpiece. "I Wanna Get Me a Gun" in its place would have improved the LP.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1817
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home