Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
40th Anniversary Of Bill's Wyman's Monkey Grip
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 16, 2014 06:42

You know him, you love him, you can't live without him. Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Bill Wyman:

Re: 40th Anniversary Of Bill's Wyman's Monkey Grip
Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: March 16, 2014 10:49

Sounds like an excuse for a deluxe re-issue with bonus material, DVD, t-shirt and perhaps a tour.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 16, 2014 10:50

If there's a tour, do you think that the Stones will be invited as special guests? But only on two songs of course!

Date: March 16, 2014 10:51

Can't live without it...

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: March 16, 2014 14:36

I think Bill will take the RKs to the continent later this year, as he played the UK last year.

I love Monkey Grip, it's a weird/ very cheesy album which I don't think takes itself too seriously. All of Wyman's solo stuff in the 70s and 80s was cheesy but somehow it feels different and more enjoyable than Mick & Keiths solo work.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 16, 2014 14:41

stonehearted
If there's a tour, do you think that the Stones will be invited as special guests? But only on two songs of course!

hot smileyJeroen

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 16, 2014 14:47

He looked so cool. So dark. So dangerous. Then he made a record and we found out he was Ringo.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: March 16, 2014 15:30

Any suggestions which of the Monkey Grip songs would have been chosen for It's Only Rock'n'Roll (and which one dropped)?
The Stones somehow started something like a 'Bill spot on record' like the Beatles (Ringo; and, more obvious George) and the Who (John) with In Another Land and then Downtown Suzie/Lucy for Beggars' Banquet.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 16, 2014 16:24

Sorry tatters, but Ringo's 70's solo stuff was way better than Wyman's!

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: March 16, 2014 16:27

whitem8

Isn't Ringo the most successful of the ex Beatles or Stones in his solo career?

Date: March 16, 2014 16:35

No, McCartney is. Most number ones and highest sales.

Date: March 16, 2014 16:42

I don't care enough to research this, but Ringo has had a lot of hits, the most consistent career and made a shitload of money on the road. Sounds like you know, but I would have guessed that Ringo had more no. 1's.

Date: March 16, 2014 16:47

Yeah, he was doing great in the early to mid 70's, but after Ringo's Rotogravure his career tanked. He never had a top ten hit, nor sold much albums.

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: March 16, 2014 16:53

Rokyfan
whitem8

Singles wise Ringo was the most successful is the first couple of years post split.

The big difference between Bill and Ringo is the Stones toured without Bill. The Beatles would not have been the Beatles without Ringo.

Ringos solo career was over by 1975.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 16, 2014 17:09

Hard to believe it's the same man who (or so he claims) came up with the JJF riff ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: March 16, 2014 17:28

gotdablouse
Hard to believe it's the same man who (or so he claims) came up with the JJF riff ;-)

Got no reason to believe that he didn't come up with it winking smiley

Date: March 16, 2014 17:32

I thought it Don't Come Easy, Photograph and the No No Song were all top 10, and that Ringo has had a hugely successful career on the road.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: March 16, 2014 17:50

I liked the album. Be better if he got someone else to sing. Haha
poor Bill. He can write, play but just can't sing!

Date: March 16, 2014 18:18

Yeah, Bill's voice is horrible. And the music even suffers on this, sounding very dated and cheesy.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 16, 2014 18:21

Kind of sounds like John Cale's Paris 1919 album. In Bill's voice and the song's overall tone.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: March 16, 2014 19:02

Rokyfan
I thought it Don't Come Easy, Photograph and the No No Song were all top 10, and that Ringo has had a hugely successful career on the road.

McCartney: For the #1s aloneI think it was "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey", "My Love", "Band on the Run", "Live and Let Die", "Silly Love Songs" "With a Little Luck" (lol - how did that happen), "Mull of Kintyre"... then a very few after the 70s, "Ebony and Ivory", the MJ collaborations...

Lennon: "Imagine" "Whatever Gets you Through the Night"...and of course sold massively singles and album right after his murder.

Harrison: "My Sweet Lord" " "Give Me Love (Give Me Peace on Earth)" for the 70s, but later in the 80s the Cloud 9 LP and Travelling Wilburys...

And all three had lesser charting singles of course....

I believe its safe to say Ringo sold the fewest overall, and scored the fewest #1s, albums or singles...though, yes, he did/does tour successfully, has dipped in and out of his film career, (though so too, did Harrison as producer, and even McCartney marginally with concert films and such)_

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 16, 2014 19:24

whitem8
Yeah, he was doing great in the early to mid 70's, but after Ringo's Rotogravure his career tanked. He never had a top ten hit, nor sold much albums.

According to this, two number ones, Photograph and You're Sixteen, and not much else:

[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 16, 2014 19:58

Rollin92
gotdablouse

Got no reason to believe that he didn't come up with it winking smiley

Apart from the fact of course that he's never done it again...well I guess there are quite a few "one hit wonders" out there.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 16, 2014 22:20

BlackHat
Rokyfan
whitem8

Singles wise Ringo was the most successful is the first couple of years post split.

The big difference between Bill and Ringo is the Stones toured without Bill. The Beatles would not have been the Beatles without Ringo.

Ringos solo career was over by 1975.

I have a Ringo compilation called The Very Best of Ringo--20 tracks. By the time I'm halfway through it, I'm already saying to myself, "Wow, there's really a lot of dreck here."

Ringo was never meant to be a front man or singer or anything but a drummer. All that happened because,... well, you don't have to guess why. Let's just say that he got by with a little help from his friends.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 16, 2014 23:19

Rokyfan
I don't care enough to research this, but Ringo has had a lot of hits, the most consistent career and made a shitload of money on the road. Sounds like you know, but I would have guessed that Ringo had more no. 1's.

He had a pretty good run. Seven consecutive Top 10 singles from 1971 to 1975, but he hasn't seen the Top 30 since 1976, and many of his later releases failed to make the charts at all. Tellingly, the Apple compilation, Blast From Your Past, released in 1975, contains all of his major hits.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-16 23:31 by tatters.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: March 16, 2014 23:46

I gave all of Wyman's albums complete spins atleast once, and that was it. I can't handle the cheesy music he produces, but I have great respect for the man as a player! Extraordinarily underrated bassist.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: March 16, 2014 23:55

Love monkey grip

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 17, 2014 00:00

flacnvinyl
I gave all of Wyman's albums complete spins atleast once, and that was it. I can't handle the cheesy music he produces, but I have great respect for the man as a player! Extraordinarily underrated bassist.

I thought they were very similar to McCartneys cheesy albums at that time...1974 were still Bowie's and Iggy's and Reeds year...I Heard Dolls the yeär after as I remember it...Supertramp? Roxy Music and Genesis...Johnny Winter...Monkey Grip yeah I bought it..first Stones solo-album with totaly hopeless Music on it...

2 1 2 0

Date: March 17, 2014 00:03

flacnvinyl

Aboslutely spot on, a cheesy songwriter but a superb bassist!!

Date: March 17, 2014 00:39

tatters
Rokyfan

He had a pretty good run. Seven consecutive Top 10 singles from 1971 to 1975, but he hasn't seen the Top 30 since 1976, and many of his later releases failed to make the charts at all. Tellingly, the Apple compilation, Blast From Your Past, released in 1975, contains all of his major hits.

That's kind of what I thought, but it has been awhile. Kind of like the Stones. When was Rewind released?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1420
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home