Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: IORR home page update - feedback please
Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: March 14, 2014 12:04

Ok, so I think IORR is probably the nr. 1 Stones source out there and here are my suggestions to make sure it stays that way

1) Responsive design, scalable for mobile devices (I recommend HTML5 use mostly)
2) Get a designer to overhaul the general design, logos, fonts, navigation etc.
3) Get social media integration e.g. Facebook, Twitter login & sharing
4) Consider crowd funding to get investment needed. You can easily do it as an e.g. Kickstarter or Indiegogo campaign and I am sure everyone here would be happy to contribute $20.

Date: March 14, 2014 12:54

Lorenz
Ok, so I think IORR is probably the nr. 1 Stones source out there and here are my suggestions to make sure it stays that way

1) Responsive design, scalable for mobile devices (I recommend HTML5 use mostly)
4) Consider crowd funding to get investment needed. You can easily do it as an e.g. Kickstarter or Indiegogo campaign and I am sure everyone here would be happy to contribute $20.

That's a brilliant idea, Lorenz!

Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: March 14, 2014 15:05

Lets have a torrent section like Rocks Off!

Date: March 14, 2014 15:17

Can't we post or download torrents here? [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: MarthaTuesday ()
Date: March 14, 2014 17:02

Beast
I echo all the thanks to bv for his great work in running the best Stones fan forum and I also echo the main sentiments so far - i.e., if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

thumbs up I find it very easy to use - and am so appreciative of IORR and all the work BV puts into running this.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 14, 2014 21:42

My request: Please "unban" Stonestod.

Seriously....whoever can listen to Keith's playing of the 2014 tour, and think it's all "great" ? Good grief.....so what is "bad" to your ears, then?
I was planning on seeing RS in Norway, Germany and UK this year, but I have changed my mind, due to the imbecil reviews of some of you. I'm not joining that nerd-crowd who thinks every concert they do is "the best they ever did"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-15 10:54 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 15, 2014 00:23

Erik_Snow

I was planning on seeing RS in Norway, Germany and UK this year, but I have changed my mind, due to the imbecil reviews of some of you. I'm not joining that nerd-crowd who thinks every concert they do is "the best they ever did"

You know that saying, "cutting off your nose to spite your face"? That's it, right there.

I think the crowdsourcing idea is a great one--the only problem being that I can understand if bv wants to keep total control over his forum. If the participants are, in effect, paying for the experience, it kinda changes the dynamic.

Posted by: varv ()
Date: March 15, 2014 01:04

No changes needed. As we say in my neck of the woods,"if it ain't broke don't fix it".

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: March 15, 2014 01:08

I tend to agree with Erik_Snow's post..because he has common sense.

Also, I am one of the many here who miss StonesTod -- he's "one of a kind" just like Keith!

On second thought, not exactly like Keith.

Date: March 15, 2014 01:12

stonesrule
I tend to agree with Erik_Snow's post..because he has common sense.

The logic defeats me, I'm afraid, stonesrule. sad smiley Seems a shame to miss a concert you might enjoy because you're ticked off that other people enjoyed it too much!

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: March 15, 2014 01:20

varv
No changes needed. As we say in my neck of the woods,"if it ain't broke don't fix it".

Yes . . . don't do any of that other stuff; sounds fancy but totally unneeded.

Posted by: llargueras ()
Date: March 15, 2014 02:37

I love pale blue colour, don't change it.
I agree with Lorenz suggestions.
Great job BV

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 15, 2014 11:10

Aquamarine
Erik_Snow

You know that saying, "cutting off your nose to spite your face"? That's it, right there.

I think the crowdsourcing idea is a great one--the only problem being that I can understand if bv wants to keep total control over his forum. If the participants are, in effect, paying for the experience, it kinda changes the dynamic.

Hi yes you are right, Aquamarine

But I didn't express myself well. What I meant is that I could go see Rolling Stones this year, and take it as it comes, and be happy with whatever song they actually delivered, but after the reviews here, I can't help myself thinking about the emperor's new clothes. Hearing the audio, which I allready have, is enough, it speaks for itself.
Of course I will attend the Scandinavian concert, just because of promises

Anyway, this is not important, my only real complaint is that Stonestod is banned. Nikkibong too!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-15 11:15 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: bernard90mike ()
Date: March 15, 2014 11:28

varv
thumbs up+1

Date: March 15, 2014 13:26

owlbynite
I find the site user-friendly as is. Simple things please! winking smiley Only problem I've encountered ever is accessing existing threads when I know I have the correct topic words & author, searches always return with 'no match.' Thanks for asking, cheers!cool smiley

Not related to the home page, but: I also would wish for an improvement or addition of the search function. I'm aware, one can chose between the options "last 30 days", "last 90 days", "last year" and "all dates". But sometimes I'm looking for an old post within a certain time frame, let's say from some time between May 2012 and November 2012, related to Stones preparations for 50&Counting. Depending on the key words you remember, the results for "all dates" (which is the only possible option in this case to find something from this time) may be many and spread over several pages, starting with the newest. It would be very helpful, if one could also search for posts within a self defined time frame to reduce the search results to the relevant ones, so you don't have to click through maybe 50 pages of newer posts until you get, what you want.

Regarding the home page: I like the Stones related creative link names and wouldn't add an explanation there. The short explanations of the content on top of the pages after clicking on a link - as exist - are sufficient in my opinion. One learns, what's behind a title relatively quickly.

As has been suggested, I also would remove "A Bigger Bang - The new album" and "Live Licks" as well as some other old topics to the archive. The background color could be changed, as well as the design, which struck me as a bit uninteresting and uninspired, when I first saw it about two years ago. But keep it simple in general. Does the website have a logo? If so, why not place it at the top?

The links below the picture escaped my notice at first, so maybe place important ones with Stones related topics to the left and right of the picture and above only and leave the room below for infos about the website in general. Or, maybe better, don't put anything except the "Get the IORR magazine - subscribe right now!" links below the photo at all. Also I don't recognize a system in the way the links are spread around the picture, which seem to be placed mostly randomly (not thematically organized). Personally I find that confusing.

This leads me to another point, which is is also about system. I really recommend to optically (colour, font, position on page, ...) separate your creative, associative link names for stable content like "Connection", "Tell Me", "Hot Stuff", "All Sold Out", "Out of Time", ... from links to real Stones products like "Voodoo Lounge" or "Live Licks". So one can easily distinguish, which link names are related to the actual song, album and so on, and which are 'just' your play on words for something else. You see, one can imagine some interesting things going on in the "Voodoo Lounge", but it's in fact the Voodoo Tour this is about. Same for "Live Licks", which could be mistaken for a special forum section about Stones concerts or live albums in general, but actually refers to the existing album. And I would separate these stable links from the ones to just current, temporary topics like "Exile reissue Plundered My Soul" or "Abu Dhabi Tour start".

Anyway, many thanks for offering this great forum to Stones fans and spending so much time on this!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-16 00:15 by StrawberriesBlueberries.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 15, 2014 13:27

It would be awesome if the site were responsive so it will look great on all screen sizes.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: March 15, 2014 13:44

It would be nice to have an ignore list/feature so we could easily skip the posts by people we know are only here to bash on The Stones and their fans, constantly complain about something, whine about the same thing for the 48th time and/or write long sermons.

example-
instead of the whines and/or long boring diatribes, this would be shown...

[THIS POST IS HIDDEN BECAUSE THE POSTER IS ON YOUR IGNORE LIST]

Date: March 15, 2014 13:47

One word regarding crowdfunding, this does not mean we would all earn a share in the forum. It would simply mean that we help to fund the changes in exchange for defined goodies e.g. access to a special forum, special styles on our usernames or whatever people would want to see.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 15, 2014 14:04

Lorenz
One word regarding crowdfunding, this does not mean we would all earn a share in the forum. It would simply mean that we help to fund the changes in exchange for defined goodies e.g. access to a special forum, special styles on our usernames or whatever people would want to see.

I don't know about all that, I think that would change the dynamics here too, as Aquamarine put it, and maybe create some resentments. I like the egalitarian nature of this board, it doesn't matter when you join, everyone has equal access.

If BV wants to collect money to fund a change in IORR, then it should be left at that, people free to give or not give without any thing expected. Besides, I seriously doubt he has the time for that and I can't see BV getting into the sales pitch business, doesn't seem like his personality.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 15, 2014 14:14

Lorenz

I'd happily crowd-fund IORR, but if it's going to divide IORR into privileged and second-class citizens, I'm agin it! Do you really need to be bribed with special forums and so on?

Yes, please make it work on mobiles (but as a tablet-owner, PLEASE do not assume that all Android devices are mobile phones and force them to use the small-size version!)

My first entry-point to IORR has always been the Tell Me message list, and I only go to the home page if I want to navigate to other parts of the site. I'm not bothered what colour it is or how "modern" you make it look, as long as the same excellent services can be accessed from it. Have I said how much I appreciate this place?

Date: March 15, 2014 14:18

No, you don't need to be bribed and no 2 class system has to be created. I was simply trying to point out that crowdfunding doesn't mean we all own a share of the business.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: March 15, 2014 14:27

I know (for now) that IORR can be used a test site when it seems my computer is slowing down or has an issue. I can come here and see what is going on because this place usually loads INSTANTLY, no stupid back ground junk, no flashy trash needs to be loaded, no extra noises, etc etc.

If IORR is loading slow, then I know it is my computer that is messed up.

IORR is one of the few sites on the web that is content driven, vereuss trying to be cute and fancy. IORR simply displays the words/pictures/videos without all the extra noise and I hope it stays that way.

Some sites are now taking away 1/4-1/3 of my screen with too much extra crap at the top and bottom, I hate that and I avoid those sites

Posted by: sir sweden ()
Date: March 15, 2014 16:15

My suggestion is: Keep IORR as it is!smiling smiley

and thankĀ“s for keeping the website up and running!

Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: March 15, 2014 17:38

odean73
Please keep it as it is.

Easy and simple to use.

Nothing more to say. No need for a change. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-15 18:00 by satisfaction2.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 15, 2014 17:47

BV, you should probably keep it as it is. Play with your grandkids instead. The Stones are in the twilight of their career anyway.

While the look of the site is very old-school web-wise, IORR's appeal is that it simple and useful.

If you were to change it, not only would you most likely lose the baby-boomer appeal. Middle-aged fans don't want/need all that extra glitz on the website. when we're just looking for information. (I don't even look at the home page.... only the forums.)

And if you were modernize the site, most likely you'd have to get professional web designers to do the templates.

Date: March 15, 2014 22:17

Erik_Snow
Aquamarine
Erik_Snow

Hi yes you are right, Aquamarine

But I didn't express myself well. What I meant is that I could go see Rolling Stones this year, and take it as it comes, and be happy with whatever song they actually delivered, but after the reviews here, I can't help myself thinking about the emperor's new clothes. Hearing the audio, which I allready have, is enough, it speaks for itself.
Of course I will attend the Scandinavian concert, just because of promises

Anyway, this is not important, my only real complaint is that Stonestod is banned. Nikkibong too!

OK, gotcha. smiling smiley (The banned members were before my time, I guess?)

Regarding the crowdfunding, I guess I was just saying that as things are now, bv can run the site any way he likes, whereas if other people were contributing to it monetarily, then they would have, or feel they should have, more leverage over how it was run.

Also, I've had problems with the search feature too, but I'm not sure I'm using it correctly, as I've never yet found anything I'm looking for!

Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 15, 2014 22:52

The Search function, just to note, does allow for time limitations for the past 30 days, 90 days, one year, and all dates, in the last box at the bottom, under Advanced search.

It took me a while, but lately I have been able to locate things. Don't give up, Aquamarine. It's all about finding the right combination of words, and/or having the exact right spelling and punctuation of the username.

I've found that on discussion boards, the searches are notoriously difficult to use, I mean, if you want to find something specific. cool smiley

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-15 22:53 by angee.

Date: March 15, 2014 22:56

Yes, that's what I figured, that I wasn't entering the right combination of words. And then it seems to vary between boards whether you need to put the whole phrase in quotes, or put plus signs between the words or whatever. But I shall persevere!

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: March 15, 2014 22:59

Lorenz

Hm. I have to say: I love this website and I hope it stays exactly the way it is. Simple, easy, raw, cool. Don't change. At least not until all the Stones have quit.
No twitter, FB... No new fonts, no HTML5...

Date: March 15, 2014 23:16

schwonek
Lorenz

Hm. I have to say: I love this website and I hope it stays exactly the way it is. Simple, easy, raw, cool. Don't change. At least not until all the Stones have quit.
No twitter, FB... No new fonts, no HTML5...

Come on, you don't even know what HTML5 is, do you?

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2143
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home