Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8
Re: Track Talk: Saint Of Me
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 10, 2017 22:56

am i the only person on here that hates saint of me.

there must be someone else.

there is someone... they should show up here pretty soon ...

ROCKMAN

Date: December 10, 2017 23:18

.............. How did Marilyn Manson sneak his way into the clip .... ????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: December 10, 2017 23:46

This song (No Security version) has kinda saved my life a few times. When I’m doing a long drive and falling asleep, I blast it and sing along. All the ‘yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah...’ keeps me awake. Ten hour drive home from Columbus gig in 2015, in torrential rain, must have played it on repeat 100 times, just wailing. And more than a few other times... outro is a tad long though. And would love to see it live. Oh yeah...!

Date: December 10, 2017 23:49

.... nice story Annie ... ain't it a great feelin' when a song's a friend ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 10, 2017 23:51

SomeTorontoGirl
This song (No Security version) has kinda saved my life a few times. When I’m doing a long drive and falling asleep, I blast it and sing along. All the ‘yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah...’ keeps me awake. Ten hour drive home from Columbus gig in 2015, in torrential rain, must have played it on repeat 100 times, just wailing. And more than a few other times... outro is a tad long though. And would love to see it live. Oh yeah...!
Ugh, not being able to stay awake while driving is a horrible, scary feeling. I used to think it was crazy that anyone could fall asleep while driving when I was young...little did I know how easily it can happen as you get older.

Date: December 11, 2017 00:07

Rockman
.... nice story Annie ... ain't it a great feelin' when a song's a friend ...

You know how it is Rockeeeee!

Date: December 11, 2017 00:12

oooowww yeah ...... I got a million song friends .... From CS Blues ta Somewhere Over the Rainbow ...............

ROCKMAN

Date: December 11, 2017 00:27

[Smile] Never took ya for a Friend of Dorothy! grinning smiley

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: December 11, 2017 00:28

Hairball
RipThisBone
Hairball
@ RipThisBone - I'm sure you've seen this clip?

The Rolling Stones - Vredenburg Utrecht

I'm sure we have plenty of stories to share - I can see myself several times front and center.
Also at the 2:15 mark of video...being herded like sheep into the venue...I recall being in the first batch of people and being made to sit on the floor in one of the rooms just prior to getting into the theater itself.
Having waited all day in front of venue switching with my friend Ed so each of us could take a break, I remember on one of my breaks smoking a nice spilff followed immediately by eating a delicious pancake!

Hi Hairball!
Yes, that's how it was. We must have been very close together in the row in front of the theatre. We two were sitting in beachchairs until doors went open. Me and my friend are not to be seen in the video (which I have on VHS video, but had not seen in years).
I had seen an interview with the director of Vredenburg the week before the show on dutch TV and he was asked where he would choose to sit, what was the best place in the theatre. And he said third or fourth row of the seats, just behind the standing area.
We were in early enough to take place in the standing area, but took place at the best seats of the house! Hahahaha! Also real close, it was small there, and we could sit relaxed until the show started.
We were up on our feet of course from Jumping Jack Flash. What a night!
Now remember I liked the opening act very much. A young band. Do you remember the name?
smileys with beer

Yes I'm sure we must have very close in front of the theater throughout the day - it was beautiful weather in a beautiful city amidst beautiful people and of course the Rolling Stones!
As for opening band..erm...no I don't remember them - had to look it up in the review section lol - The Vue. I'm sure they were good though! winking smiley
I do remember the Hallacopters opening at Stockholm Cirkus, but probably because they just opened for the Stones again recently this tour and my memory was jarred.
I saw quite a few shows that tour, so alot of the 'unknown' opening bands are lost in the memories.

As for Vredenburg, you had a great location as you were able to peer right over the floor crowd and/or sit if you wanted to, I had so much adrenaline I could have stood all night.
Being such a small venue w/only apprx. 2,000 others, not a bad location anywhere. thumbs up

PS - perhaps you remember this Van Gogh inspired t-shirt and were able to get one...

Being an artist myself, as well as having alot of Dutch ancestry (my Grandmother was from Rotterdam), this is probably my favorite Stones t-shirt ever.
The memories it brings back as well as the cool design - a windmill, tulips, Starry Night...and the Stones...wish I would have bought two!
It was also used as a cover for a boot of the show - here's the back:

And of course I still have my ticket stub as well as the "lucky me" wristband...lucky indeed.

But veering back on topic....winking smiley...I said yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah....

OH YEAH OH YEAH OH YEAH OH YEAH !!!

Date: December 11, 2017 00:33

[Smile] Never took ya for a Friend of Dorothy!

Yep know body knows the troubles I've seen .... THE KILLER does some amazing versions of Rainbow ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 11, 2017 00:44

RipThisBone
Hairball
RipThisBone
Hairball

I'm sure we have plenty of stories to share - I can see myself several times front and center.
Also at the 2:15 mark of video...being herded like sheep into the venue...I recall being in the first batch of people and being made to sit on the floor in one of the rooms just prior to getting into the theater itself.
Having waited all day in front of venue switching with my friend Ed so each of us could take a break, I remember on one of my breaks smoking a nice spilff followed immediately by eating a delicious pancake!

Hi Hairball!
Yes, that's how it was. We must have been very close together in the row in front of the theatre. We two were sitting in beachchairs until doors went open. Me and my friend are not to be seen in the video (which I have on VHS video, but had not seen in years).
I had seen an interview with the director of Vredenburg the week before the show on dutch TV and he was asked where he would choose to sit, what was the best place in the theatre. And he said third or fourth row of the seats, just behind the standing area.
We were in early enough to take place in the standing area, but took place at the best seats of the house! Hahahaha! Also real close, it was small there, and we could sit relaxed until the show started.
Now remember I liked the opening act very much. A young band. Do you remember the name?
smileys with beer

Yes I'm sure we must have very close in front of the theater throughout the day - it was beautiful weather in a beautiful city amidst beautiful people and of course the Rolling Stones!
As for opening band..erm...no I don't remember them - had to look it up in the review section lol - The Vue. I'm sure they were good though! winking smiley
I do remember the Hallacopters opening at Stockholm Cirkus, but probably because they just opened for the Stones again recently this tour and my memory was jarred.
I saw quite a few shows that tour, so alot of the 'unknown' opening bands are lost in the memories.

As for Vredenburg, you had a great location as you were able to peer right over the floor crowd and/or sit if you wanted to, I had so much adrenaline I could have stood all night.
Being such a small venue w/only apprx. 2,000 others, not a bad location anywhere. thumbs up

PS - perhaps you remember this Van Gogh inspired t-shirt and were able to get one...

Being an artist myself, as well as having alot of Dutch ancestry (my Grandmother was from Rotterdam), this is probably my favorite Stones t-shirt ever.
The memories it brings back as well as the cool design - a windmill, tulips, Starry Night...and the Stones...wish I would have bought two!

And of course I still have my ticket stub as well as the "lucky me" wristband...lucky indeed.

*wait a second wait a second
What is this? Some priceless show of a live CD ?
Who takes PayPal and how much?
Thanks for sharing the stories, understanding—

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 11, 2017 01:23

Here is the boot on discogs.com, but it has been blocked from being sold as it is an unofficial boot.

The Rolling Stones – Vredenburg - Holland

You can get it for free though from multiple sources on this site with or without cover - and you can always print the cover yourself.
I probably have at least five copies of it stored in various locations at my house and studio thanks to some very kind souls.

edit: Just stumbled upon this 17 cd box set of boots from Europe 2003 - don't know anything about it as I'm not as bootleg expert, but it's cool to read all the details:

ROLLING STONES - CD LICKS TOUR EUROPE 2003

On the Vredenburg show: "This is a nice recording of a great show with Saint Of Me as one of the highlights".

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-11 01:33 by Hairball.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 11, 2017 01:51

Hairball
Here is the boot on discogs.com, but it has been blocked from being sold as it is an unofficial boot.

The Rolling Stones – Vredenburg - Holland

You can get it for free though from multiple sources on this site with or without cover - and you can always print the cover yourself.
I probably have at least five copies of it stored in various locations at my house and studio thanks to some very kind souls.

edit: Just stumbled upon this 17 cd box set of boots from Europe 2003 - don't know anything about it as I'm not as bootleg expert, but it's cool to read all the details:

ROLLING STONES - CD LICKS TOUR EUROPE 2003

On the Vredenburg show: "This is a nice recording of a great show with Saint Of Me as one of the highlights".

*Thank you! Continuing to send your fam good South ca vibes-

Date: December 11, 2017 10:00

35love
RipThisBone
Hairball
RipThisBone
Hairball

Hi Hairball!
smileys with beer

*wait a second wait a second
What is this? Some priceless show of a live CD ?
Who takes PayPal and how much?
Thanks for sharing the stories, understanding—

You'll probably find it here for free in the Hot Stuff-section.

Date: December 11, 2017 10:01

Here it is: [iorr.org]

Give it a bump if the link has expired.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-11 10:02 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 11, 2017 13:52

Rockman

I have this CD at home .

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 11, 2017 13:56

Probably my favorite track from Bridges to Babylon esp. Billy Preston's B3 Fill .I remember when this first came out and I was loving the B3 Fill and then I found out it was the late great Billy Preston's B3 Organ ,which to me was pretty wild .

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: December 11, 2017 14:53

Rockman

See above

Date: December 11, 2017 15:06

Monsoon Ragoon
Rockman

See above

No! Oh no, oh no...

Date: December 11, 2017 15:06

Monsoon Ragoon
Rockman

See above

Rockee didn't post that...

Date: December 11, 2017 17:06

Saint Of Me is a nice song, but it lacks a flashy guitar (solo) to get it out of its
mediocrity. The Stones play it safe - too safe, imo.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 11, 2017 18:43

TheflyingDutchman
Saint Of Me is a nice song, but it lacks a flashy guitar (solo) to get it out of its

Flashy guitar solos are old-fashioned!

C

Date: December 11, 2017 18:50

liddas
TheflyingDutchman

C

That really depends on who plays it .

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 11, 2017 18:57

TheflyingDutchman
liddas
TheflyingDutchman

C

That really depends on who plays it .

Name one song by anyone in the past 10 (20?) years that became popular for its guitar solo-

C

Date: December 11, 2017 18:59

IMO, a good song can be played around a campfire, without any solos, and still be awesome. That's the acid test, really.

I wouldn't mind a great solo, though, but it doesn't make or break a song for me.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: December 11, 2017 19:19

It's the only Stones single without Keith Richards... Interesting song, but I just don't like it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-11 20:26 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Date: December 11, 2017 19:38

Monsoon Ragoon
It's the only Stones single without Keith Richards...

Is Keith on No Spare Parts? Not sure about that..

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 11, 2017 19:49

TheGreek
Probably my favorite track from Bridges to Babylon esp. Billy Preston's B3 Fill .I remember when this first came out and I was loving the B3 Fill and then I found out it was the late great Billy Preston's B3 Organ ,which to me was pretty wild .

Yes, and there's something hypnotic the way the tune starts minimally almost as if it's a live take and then builds momentum and escalates when Charlies drums kick in.
And then it switches gears with ..."I thought I heard an angel cry"... It's the best off of Bridges, and the last of the great original Stones songs imo.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 11, 2017 20:33

liddas
TheflyingDutchman

C

Indeed, but there is nothing much in that 20 years old song that is very current either... (isn't the whole genre of rock old-fashionable these days...)grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: December 11, 2017 20:36

DandelionPowderman
IMO, a good song can be played around a campfire, without any solos, and still be awesome. That's the acid test, really.

I wouldn't mind a great solo, though, but it doesn't make or break a song for me.

Fair enough, but do you consider Santana's Samba Pa Ti to be a great (instrumental ) song ? I do. Torn an Frayed is a great song as well. So there must be something in between. That's all I wanna say : it's not always black or white in music, at least to me.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2471
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home