Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8
Re: Saint Of Me Audience Participation
Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: January 11, 2020 22:11

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: January 12, 2020 00:21

there might be a slight difference between a "silent audience" and one being encouraged to take over the vocal duties while the vocalist is otherwise occupied.

jb

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 12, 2020 00:58

LazarusSmith
keefriff99
I thought both Saint of Me and OOC had the potential to become latter-day warhorses. Not sure why it didn't materialize.

not to put too fine a point on it ... but maybe because they weren't very ... good? and people didn't like them?

You obviously must have been at different shows from the ones Ive heard and attended in 1998 and 1999.

They were absolute showstoppers every night. It blew away the myth that Stones audiences didnt go for new songs.

They havent managed - or tried - to create that buzz again in the last two decades.

Then again, BTB was the last tour they did before the sky-high ticket prices became the norm and they started pandering to a different type of audience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-12 00:59 by Gazza.

Date: January 13, 2020 11:21

spunky
One of the best: [youtu.be]

There is something magical about Mick in that whole end sequence.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 13, 2020 15:27

North American audience: We spent $7500 to see the Stones! I texted all my friends while at the show to let them know!

Everyone else around the world: We like to sing and participate in the show.

Date: January 14, 2020 03:42

Well I am in Norte America and believe me I wouldn't pay anywhere near that and I don't even have a phone capable of sending or receiving text messages (much less taking pictures or recording audio or video).

So I guess that leaves me out.

I like audience participation but it has its limits. Like when drunk Jose is barfing down your neck. True story.

jb

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 14, 2020 03:51

…. shit jb ….surely ya get a cheap
camera/drone set up from a BrickWalmart store

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 14, 2020 04:05

jbwelda

I like audience participation but it has its limits. Like when drunk Jose is barfing down your neck. True story.

jb

Or when drunken fat guy with tears streaming down his face standing behind you belligerently singing out loud (and out of key) to Behind Blue Eyes at The Who, L.A. Coliseum, 1982.
I swear he ruined the moment, and it still pisses me off.( winking smiley ) No matter though, the Clash were the better band that day!

Date: January 14, 2020 04:11

Or when two people right in front of you have a very entertaining conversation and you have to tap them on the shoulder and ask them to shut up, because you can't hear the music.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-14 04:11 by SomeGuy.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 14, 2020 12:56

SomeGuy
Or when two people right in front of you have a very entertaining conversation and you have to tap them on the shoulder and ask them to shut up, because you can't hear the music.

If the conversation is entertaining enough ...perhaps you should ask the band the shut up .winking smiley

Date: January 14, 2020 15:32

jbwelda
Well I am in Norte America and believe me I wouldn't pay anywhere near that and I don't even have a phone capable of sending or receiving text messages (much less taking pictures or recording audio or video).

jb

In the US people have no problem spending a mortgage payment on Stones tickets, a few $20 beers and a couple of horrible expensive t-shirts yet bitch about buying music.

In New Orleans, Jazz Fest tickets continue to go up (and it's sponsored by Shell, which is cute since they have the highest gasoline prices) but the crowds don't thin out, they've just changed. It's still cheap compared to seeing... the Stones in the Superdome but it is exhausting to be there all day (and if you're hungry and thirsty, you better have a couple hundred dollars on you).

Date: January 15, 2020 01:17

Yeah I hear you on the corporate thing and the changing crowds. And the expense. That's why I basically quit participating in a lot of that circus quite a while ago now.

Come to our festival in California and I promise you a nice weekend of music for not a great amount of cash. Might be up and running again next year after some health problems amongst the principals.

www.snwmf.com

Never had the stones but had Justin Hinds more than once, and plenty of entertainment every year. Its all a matter of perspective.

jb

Date: January 15, 2020 04:42

Hairball
jbwelda

jb

Or when drunken fat guy with tears streaming down his face standing behind you belligerently singing out loud (and out of key) to Behind Blue Eyes at The Who, L.A. Coliseum, 1982.
I swear he ruined the moment, and it still pisses me off.( winking smiley ) No matter though, the Clash were the better band that day!

At the end of the day, I will always take the drunk guy singing out of key, and blocking my view, because there it is, what makes the live show experience. All the drama. I don't see anyone recalling years later "And we were all holding up our phones; and we were all on IM.."

Date: January 15, 2020 05:04

Palace Revolution 2000
Hairball
jbwelda

jb

At the end of the day, I will always take the drunk guy singing out of key, and blocking my view, because there it is, what makes the live show experience. All the drama. I don't see anyone recalling years later "And we were all holding up our phones; and we were all on IM.."

Just a matter of time before you see that, but I'll agree the drunk fat guy singing out of key "added" to the live experience - by ruining the moment lol.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 15, 2020 12:23

Hairball
Palace Revolution 2000
Hairball
jbwelda

jb

Just a matter of time before you see that, but I'll agree the drunk fat guy singing out of key "added" to the live experience - by ruining the moment lol.

When the drunk fat guy singing is annoying, that's when you know that the PA volume is too low!

C

Date: January 15, 2020 12:28

Aren't we supposed to be that drunk fat guy, singing out of key, at live shows? winking smiley

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 15, 2020 12:45

Drunk ? Maybe, Fat ? certainly not ! , Out of Key ? Never ! grinning smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 15, 2020 15:32

GJB
I hope the stones save resurrecting SOM until (if) they ever play South America again - where I think it will have the best impact for singalongs.

I think Mick does like to include one “modern” (cough cough) song in the recent tours - since Doom and Gloom, One More Shot, Streets of Love, Out Of Control, Anybody Seen My Baby, Out Of Control, You Got Me Rocking, Sad Sad Sad, Mixed Emotions and Harlem Shuffle have all got a run out I predict we may see Rock and a Hard Place, Love is Strong and Saint of Me at least once each before 2022!

Almost shocking to think of the band 60 years into their existence as an active touring (and maybe even recording) band.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 16, 2020 20:36

treaclefingers
GJB
I hope the stones save resurrecting SOM until (if) they ever play South America again - where I think it will have the best impact for singalongs.

I think Mick does like to include one “modern” (cough cough) song in the recent tours - since Doom and Gloom, One More Shot, Streets of Love, Out Of Control, Anybody Seen My Baby, Out Of Control, You Got Me Rocking, Sad Sad Sad, Mixed Emotions and Harlem Shuffle have all got a run out I predict we may see Rock and a Hard Place, Love is Strong and Saint of Me at least once each before 2022!

Almost shocking to think of the band 60 years into their existence as an active touring (and maybe even recording) band.

Talking about "shocking", in the USA I was at least rather amazed that a substantialistisch part of the audience when out to get some drinks (or maybe just a break) during the time Keith was singing his two songs (I asked about why so many left to Americans) Never experienced that in Europe! (I don't count individuel "urgency").

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 16, 2020 21:14

DandelionPowderman
Aren't we supposed to be that drunk fat guy, singing out of key, at live shows? winking smiley

Spud
Drunk ? Maybe, Fat ? certainly not ! , Out of Key ? Never ! grinning smiley

Yeah Dandy. Also, a few of us have heard you warble and “out of key” isn’t in your range. smiling smiley

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 16, 2020 21:55

georgie48
treaclefingers
GJB

Talking about "shocking", in the USA I was at least rather amazed that a substantialistisch part of the audience when out to get some drinks (or maybe just a break) during the time Keith was singing his two songs (I asked about why so many left to Americans) Never experienced that in Europe! (I don't count individuel "urgency").
People have been complaining about fans heading for the bathroom/beer during Keith's sets since the '90s.

Date: January 16, 2020 22:02

Its a well known fact that American audiences are amongst the rudest in the world. One reason why opening for the Rolling Stones is not quite what it might be. Seems American audiences will put up with an opening act, no matter how good they are, for about 20 minutes tops and then they start to get restless and the cries of "We want the Stones" begins followed shortly by objects hurled in the general direction of the stage. I have seen this numerous times myself although not in real recent memory. I distinctly recall it at the Day on the Green in Oakland when Peter Tosh opened for them. Such a difference from say when I saw Toots and the Maytals open for them in Copenhagen...the audience seemed to hang on every note and even called them back for an encore. I have rarely witnessed that in America.

jb

Date: January 16, 2020 22:10

jbwelda
Its a well known fact that American audiences are amongst the rudest in the world. One reason why opening for the Rolling Stones is not quite what it might be. Seems American audiences will put up with an opening act, no matter how good they are, for about 20 minutes tops and then they start to get restless and the cries of "We want the Stones" begins followed shortly by objects hurled in the general direction of the stage. I have seen this numerous times myself although not in real recent memory. I distinctly recall it at the Day on the Green in Oakland when Peter Tosh opened for them. Such a difference from say when I saw Toots and the Maytals open for them in Copenhagen...the audience seemed to hang on every note and even called them back for an encore. I have rarely witnessed that in America.

jb
Peter Tosh??

So you're making this generalization about American audiences based on something that happened over 40 years ago? I've never seen anyone throw anything at an opening act at a Stones show in the last 20 years.

Date: January 16, 2020 22:25

Well, then there was Prince, but that was some time ago also.

My thing with Peter Tosh was I was negatively impressed with how unreceptive the audience was when they were being presented with not only Mr Tosh but also his backing band of world class reggae players. I think I was the only one there with an appreciation for reggae music and that was in Oakland, later a major hub of reggae music on the west coast.

Maybe American audiences have become more tame and polite in their old age but last I went I was appalled by how many were there not for the music seemingly, but for the "scene", and their actions showed it. Not much respect even for the Stones, just a bunch of blabbing and selfie taking. Could just as well been the Massed Alberts up there on stage for all many seemingly cared. And when the opening act(s) finished, hardly any applause was thrown their way in place of the garbage of old.

jb

Date: January 16, 2020 22:29

jbwelda
Well, then there was Prince, but that was some time ago also.

My thing with Peter Tosh was I was negatively impressed with how unreceptive the audience was when they were being presented with not only Mr Tosh but also his backing band of world class reggae players. I think I was the only one there with an appreciation for reggae music and that was in Oakland, later a major hub of reggae music on the west coast.

Maybe American audiences have become more tame and polite in their old age but last I went I was appalled by how many were there not for the music seemingly, but for the "scene", and their actions showed it. Not much respect even for the Stones, just a bunch of blabbing and selfie taking. Could just as well been the Massed Alberts up there on stage for all many seemingly cared. And when the opening act(s) finished, hardly any applause was thrown their way in place of the garbage of old.

jb
I'm always respectful of opening acts. Even if I don't care about the act in the slights, I'll at least clap a little between songs and when they leave the stage.

Every band's gotta start somewhere. Being rude to them is bad form no matter how anxious I am to see the headliner.

Date: January 17, 2020 01:35

Toots and the Maytals went over very well as openers in San Diego back in 2005!

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 17, 2020 15:53

The boooing was something that also still happened in the early seventies in Europe. Maybe a remainder of the "We want the Stones" hype. I remember well that, being the opening act on October 9 1970 in Amsterdam, Buddy Guy (already a very gifted Blues musician) was boood at massively. I thought he was doing a very good job and I was pretty annoyed by that boooing.
Luckily that kind of habit disappeared over here (except for the odd idiot). I hope one day the American audience will also be more respectful toward Keith.

Date: January 18, 2020 05:53

I saw many a special guests show (read: support act) in the 80s in Holland, mainly heavy rock: Def Leppard, Ted Nugent, Accept, Saxon, Pantera, Annihilator, Scorpions, and they never got booed. Needless to say some went on to become really big.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-18 05:58 by SomeGuy.

Date: January 19, 2020 03:54

jbwelda

jb

Uh... when's the last time you went to a Stones show? Reads like you've not crawled out from under the 1978-81 rock you live under.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: January 20, 2020 01:18

GasLightStreet
jbwelda

I like audience participation but
jb

In New Orleans, Jazz Fest tickets continue to go up ... It's still cheap compared to seeing... the Stones in the Superdome ...

I saw the Stones in the Superdome last year for under $30 (front floor section to boot).

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1772
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home