Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8
Re: Track Talk: Saint Of Me
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 3, 2014 18:13

this blows my mind that the late great Billy Preston played the Hammond B3 organ on saint of me .not chuck leavell

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: March 3, 2014 18:48

great great stuff

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 3, 2014 19:58

gotdablouse
I'm pretty sure I have that Maxi CD Single somewhere, the remixes were underwhelming though, actually I can't think of an interesting Stones remix...well except for "Winning Ugly" and "Feel on Baby" I suppose. The YGMR remixes were particularly bad!

I find the Winning Ugly remix beyond awful. Their best actual remix is probably One Hit or Harlem Shuffle. Don't Stop remix was pretty good considering. The Saint Of Me remix is decent, at least the one that is the actual song. Don't know about the 13 minute one. Miss You isn't much of a true remix really, just less editing! With exception to the breakdown part with just the keyboard, bass and drums, which is awesome. That's probably the only remxing part of that track they did. The YGMR and Love Is Strong "remixes", sans the excellent Clearmountain Love Is Strong one, are club mixes, not true remixes. And HORRIBLE to boot. The other two BRIDGES remixes are pretty bad as well, that club garbage. The edit versions of Saint Of Me and Out Of Control are good edits at least.

Charlie's drumming - HA! Recorded bits they looped.

Date: March 3, 2014 19:59

drewmaster
A brilliant, latter-day Stones classic … every moment of it, that is, except the bridge. Those warm opening guitar strums are absolutely captivating; the reverie is heightened by those wonderful Hammond B3 notes from Billy Preston, creating a lush, gospel feel. Church is in session, and I am already in heaven before our preacher, Pastor Michael Philip Jagger, even begins his sermon!

And then begin it he does, entrancing the listener with a softly-told story about St Paul the Persecutor. Gradually the intensity builds, lifting the listener higher and higher. Charlie is right there with him throughout, with a propulsive beat that dazzles the senses.

And those lyrics, man … classic Stones bad-boy attitude, saying fvck you to all the self-righteous hypocrite jerk-offs out there, with some wonderful Biblical references that give it heft and bite.

Unfortunately, the bridge (specifically the guitar-work that accompanies “I thought I heard an angel cry / I thought I saw a teardrop falling from his eye”), is relatively weak the first time around, and simply awful the second go-round. But each time, Charlie rescues us with some wonderful drumming.

The most ecstatic point of the track, at least for me, is the verse about John the Baptist, when Jagger positively spits out the lyrics, and the chorus that follows. This passage of the song is a shining example of why Mick Jagger is the greatest front-man in rock and roll history … he is totally possessed by the music, and we are simply mesmerized.

Glorious, marvelous stuff. If only they could have taken the time to fix that damn bridge…

Drew

Great song - great post!!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 3, 2014 22:25

To me its cheesy but the live performance of it was so good that it didn't matter.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 3, 2014 22:49

TheGreek
this blows my mind that the late great Billy Preston played the Hammond B3 organ on saint of me .not chuck leavell

Chuck Leavell was UNINVITED for the whole Ocean Way sessions and reportedly said he was "crushed", unfortunately that didn't last...apparently Mick/Keith got annoyed when he claimed to be the "Stones Musical Director" during the VL album/tour, possibly in that great RS interview from August 1994 when they were rehearsing for the tour...would have to dig it up.

Odd line-up indeed, like most of B2B, probably why that album is the one that stands out since...er, TY? They got some fresh blood, the exact opposite of ABB, their most "homemade" album, literally, since they even had Mick play bass (why not Keith ?!) and drums!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: March 3, 2014 23:06

drewmaster
A brilliant, latter-day Stones classic … every moment of it, that is, except the bridge. Those warm opening guitar strums are absolutely captivating; the reverie is heightened by those wonderful Hammond B3 notes from Billy Preston, creating a lush, gospel feel. Church is in session, and I am already in heaven before our preacher, Pastor Michael Philip Jagger, even begins his sermon!

And then begin it he does, entrancing the listener with a softly-told story about St Paul the Persecutor. Gradually the intensity builds, lifting the listener higher and higher. Charlie is right there with him throughout, with a propulsive beat that dazzles the senses.

And those lyrics, man … classic Stones bad-boy attitude, saying fvck you to all the self-righteous hypocrite jerk-offs out there, with some wonderful Biblical references that give it heft and bite.

Unfortunately, the bridge (specifically the guitar-work that accompanies “I thought I heard an angel cry / I thought I saw a teardrop falling from his eye”), is relatively weak the first time around, and simply awful the second go-round. But each time, Charlie rescues us with some wonderful drumming.

The most ecstatic point of the track, at least for me, is the verse about John the Baptist, when Jagger positively spits out the lyrics, and the chorus that follows. This passage of the song is a shining example of why Mick Jagger is the greatest
front-man in rock and roll history … he is totally possessed by the music, and we
are simply mesmerized.

Glorious, marvelous stuff. If only they could have taken the time to fix that damn bridge…

Drew

....I like very much this bridge...don't find it weak but well in place....

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 3, 2014 23:30

jp.M

....I like very much this bridge...don't find it weak but well in place....

The bridge reminds me of the bridge of "All The Way Down", a kind of tongue-in-a-cheek, over-the-top moment in the song...

- Doxa

Date: March 3, 2014 23:52

gotdablouse
TheGreek

Chuck Leavell was UNINVITED for the whole Ocean Way sessions and reportedly said he was "crushed", unfortunately that didn't last...apparently Mick/Keith got annoyed when he claimed to be the "Stones Musical Director" during the VL album/tour, possibly in that great RS interview from August 1994 when they were rehearsing for the tour...would have to dig it up.

Odd line-up indeed, like most of B2B, probably why that album is the one that stands out since...er, TY? They got some fresh blood, the exact opposite of ABB, their most "homemade" album, literally, since they even had Mick play bass (why not Keith ?!) and drums!

Keith also played bass. Can't remember the tunes here and now. But I remember the promo video where he is recording, and I know I have read it before. This Place, Infamy and a couple more?

Posted by: Niek ()
Date: March 4, 2014 00:00

Every time when I listen to the bootleg (from Vredenburg Utrecht) and I hear this song, the crowd singing along, long after the band stopped and start again... It makes me smile. Wish I could include the song here. You have to hear that!
I like the video, Mick is very sexy on it! ;-)

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 4, 2014 01:28

The bridge reminds me of Shine A light.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 4, 2014 03:05

I really enjoy the tune, love the lyrics, and very much would like
to hear it revived onstage!

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 4, 2014 03:51

Love it!

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: March 4, 2014 05:09

I love this song, it has such a great gospel vibe. When I came back from the 3 London shows in 2007 and uploaded my slideshow to Youtube, I used this as the soundtrack - I don't know why since they didn't perform it on the tour. But it would be a great song to hear live, I can imagine a long jam near the end.

Yup - love this song!

[youtu.be]

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 4, 2014 06:29

Easily their best song of the 90's and live it is awesome!

Posted by: LastStopThisTown ()
Date: March 4, 2014 10:21

WHY does YGMR even get a look in?? Great track, along with 'out of control'.

I have the 12" remix vinyl... Only listened to once!...

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 4, 2014 13:22

I said YEAH! Fantastic Song! easy 10/10...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: March 4, 2014 13:26

LastStopThisTown
WHY does YGMR even get a look in?? Great track, along with 'out of control'.

Great question.

Posted by: Shantipole ()
Date: March 4, 2014 19:58

Love this song. I have no problem with the bridge and it is even better live. I have stated it elsewhere but BtoB has a special place in my heart. A keeper.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: March 4, 2014 22:00

stones were scraping the bottom of the barrel when they came up with saint of me.

couldnt believe anyone could actually think this song is good, its embarrassing and not a song i would try to promote the band with.

they have redeemed themselves a lot since.

its probably the worst stones single ever.

lacks imagination and energy and would be better if they hadnt recorded it.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: March 4, 2014 22:05

Fantastic song. The modern production along with
old fashioned instruments like "guitar" and
"hammond organ" really sounds great. 10/10

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: March 4, 2014 23:44

...Great song ...but poor b/side....!!!

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: March 5, 2014 02:19

I am probably alone in loving the melody but hating the lyrics. My worldview is very different than Jagger, and for that matter most of the Stones. Must Be Hell is another example for me. I can't sing along on every single Stones track. =)

Date: March 5, 2014 04:13

Lyrics are weak. Pedestrian song at best. Production makes it "good", which is saying a lot. Overall... it was much better live yet almost the same.

Posted by: LQ1977 ()
Date: March 5, 2014 21:34

This song will always remind me of my second Stones show ever, in Amsterdam ArenA in 1998. The crowd was never giving up singing "Oh yeah, oh yeah, you never make a saint of me". It was ecstatic! It still brings a smile on my face thinking about it. smiling smiley

-------------------------------------------------------------

Literally 965 kilometers from being "Born in an Arctic zone".

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: March 6, 2014 13:02

I really like this track musically - especially the end where Charlie and MeShell lock together beautifully. 'Tight as a gnat's chuff' is the correct technical term I believe.

Lyrics are an embarrassment in my book though. Just feels like Mick struggling to give the song some weight by bringing in historical/ biblical references - like some kind of trite re-invention of Sympathy for the Devil. 'You'll never make a Saint of me'. Maybe not Mick, but you didn't complain when they made you a knight did you?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-06 13:12 by Roll73.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 6, 2014 13:43

It shakes my tailfeather - bridge, lyrics and all. And the video is brilliant.

It also touches me terribly that anyone who's brought so much joy and beauty to the world
could ever imagine that he's slated to "die here in the cold". I reject that concept.

All kinds of blessings on all the Rolling Stones, for good.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: March 6, 2014 14:04

A Jagger tune, I like the bridge a lot. In contrast to Monsieur Drake I can really relate to this song......

It's about the battle between going to Mexico and meet a lot of beautiful ladies or staying home and doing nish fun.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: March 6, 2014 16:00

drewmaster

The most ecstatic point of the track, at least for me, is the verse about John the Baptist, when Jagger positively spits out the lyrics, and the chorus that follows. This passage of the song is a shining example of why Mick Jagger is the greatest front-man in rock and roll history … he is totally possessed by the music, and we are simply mesmerized.

Drew

I agree with your review - except your reservations about the bridge. It's a bit corny of coure, but I think this corniness adds something extra to the track. And lyrically it adds a lot. It both adds irony and at and reveals a lyrical "I", which seems to have a soft spot for heavenly/upper class recognition - and at the same time mocks and admits it. It sort of deconstruct both the hierarchy and the safe resistance to it,
It's a brillant song.

Date: March 8, 2014 17:26

So the samples of Charlie playing the drums work well eh? It's a bunch of loops. It was way better live. The No Security version is pretty kickin'.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2150
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home